• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
What was he doing when he brought up the Colin Firth search result while watching the video? is it a Google Now thing?

zbeeb

I like how 75% of the commercial shows it in portrait mode. Google derp'd by putting "Nexus" sideways.

Someone on reddit made a pretty smart observation the other day...

When you're holding the N7 in portrait, its likely you'll do it with one hand, so it will cover up the nexus logo and show the portrait-orientated asus logo. Meanwhile, if you hold in landscape, you're likely to grasp it with two hands on either side, hiding the portrait asus logo and showing the landscape nexus logo...

Kind of intelligent IMO.

reKon

Banned
Could have replaced the N7 with an iPad and it would be the same ad.

Should have at least put the price in there.

I wouldn't say so. Apple ads are different in a consistent way. The Nexus ads have been pretty consistent too showing the same person/family using Google apps in various ways.

kehs

Banned
Oh googy my googy keep googying.

Regarding chromecast...
No, it’s not. We had a lot of internal discussion on this, and have concluded that it’s more Android than ChromeOS. To be specific, it’s actually a modified Google TV release, but with all of the Bionic / Dalvik stripped out and replaced with a single binary for Chromecast. Since the Marvell DE3005 SOC running this is a single core variant of the 88DE3100, most of the Google TV code was reused. So, although it’s not going to let you install an APK or anything, its origins: the bootloader, kernel, init scripts, binaries, are all from the Google TV.

m.androidauthority.com/chromecast-root-android-google-tv-not-chrome-os-249844/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Plus who doesn't love Chrome OS.
p0QHO.gif

tzare

Does anyone owns or has tried Ascend P6? My wife's S3 was stolen and i am looking for a substitute, my candidates are Xperia SP (a bit too small screen size), Optimus G, Nexus 4, Ascend P6, all of them with almost the same screen size as s3 .I am not looking for a high end device, just competent enough to match s3 specs and a similar screen.

I have still to negotiate with my carrier, but if they do not offer me a good deal( i theoretically could get a LG OG for 80€ and SP for 20€ on a 2 year contract, but in case i can't) i will go for a unlocked free and then the race would be N4 vs P6 that i can buy for 300-350€ free. N4 seems a safe bet, but being so close to n5 announcement makes me doubt about it. On the other side, P6 is really thin and seems to have a better camera.

Does anyone owns or has tried Ascend P6? My wife's S3 was stolen and i am looking for a substitute, my candidates are Xperia SP (a bit too small screen size), Optimus G, Nexus 4, Ascend P6, all of them with almost the same screen size as s3 .I am not looking for a high end device, just competent enough to match s3 specs and a similar screen.

I have still to negotiate with my carrier, but if they do not offer me a good deal( i theoretically could get a LG OG for 80€ and SP for 20€ on a 2 year contract, but in case i can't) i will go for a unlocked free and then the race would be N4 vs P6 that i can buy for 300-350€ free. N4 seems a safe bet, but being so close to n5 announcement makes me doubt about it. On the other side, P6 is really thin and seems to have a better camera.

I would get the Nexus 4 personally out of all those you mentioned. It has the best software support of any Android phone and it's pretty cheap to get directly from Google. Btw, the N4 and SP have almost identical screen sizes (4.65" vs 4.64") but I think the N4 has better software support and better hardware for a similar price. The only advantage I think the SP has over the N4 is build quality (aluminium) and battery life.

gcubed

Could have replaced the N7 with an iPad and it would be the same ad.

Should have at least put the price in there.

meh, its in line with their other nexus ads, back to the previous n7... its similar, but different enough

i still haven't broken down and gotten one... yet

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mediocre phones for everyone!

/Oprah

I thought they are supposed to be customizeable from the factory? How do they pre-ship them? Or there will be some standard ones and then you can pay extra for customization? In any case, I am still curious as to the price on these.

kehs

Banned
I thought they are supposed to be customizeable from the factory? How do they pre-ship them? Or there will be some standard ones and then you can pay extra for customization? In any case, I am still curious as to the price on these.

I think black/white are the standard in store models, everything else with the bamboo and styrofoam backs will probably take a few days to get to you.

As previously reported, the Moto X features a 10MP Clear Pixel camera, for enhanced low light performance. The pixel size is 1.4 microns, which is smaller than the HTC One (2.0), but larger than the GS4 (1.1). This special camera module also has x4HD Video capture, which bins 4 pixels together to create one perfect pixel. Video can be recorded in 1080p HD at 60 FPS and played back in slow motion at 30 FPS. Three microphones also enable 3D audio recording. Please +1 or share if you love marketing buzz words.

https://plus.google.com/110694450299661318989/posts/bJmBKP1SPq5

Other than being really annoying to type, whats wrong with application specific passwords?

Every extra step is one too much when it comes to a good user experience.

I can't wait until we have a 3D laser scanning tech in all our devices, to replace our passwords with a 3D scan of our face.

Korosenai

What browser does everyone here use for their phones? I'm trying to decide between the one that came with my phone, Chrome, and dolphin.

Not normal at all. Try downloading a replacement gallery from the Play Store, as I suspect the issue is with your gallery and that will serve as a test to expose it.

I downloaded Gallery ICS and it did the same thing... weird.

What browser does everyone here use for their phones? I'm trying to decide between the one that came with my phone, Chrome, and dolphin.

I'm using Dolphin on my Galaxy Nexus. I like the UI gestures (swiping in from the left for the bookmarks is great and saves space for an extra button) and when you install the Jetpack add-on, it's really, really fast.

jokkir

Would you say a Nexus 4 is still a good phone to get now? Nexus S broke and stuck with a bar phone right now. I could probably get one for $200 or $150

Would you say a Nexus 4 is still a good phone to get now? Nexus S broke and stuck with a bar phone right now. I could probably get one for $200 or $150
I don't know about you but for me LTE is a must, and the Nexus 4 doesn't have it. Do you need to get something off contract? If so, I'd wait until Thursday and see how much the Moto X will be. It should be a significant upgrade. It won't be $150 or $200, but will still be affordable.

SimleuqiR

That depends on a few things and mostly your budget, carrier of choice, and if you want LTE in the near future.

The fact that Google updated the kernel extensively with 4.3 means they are looking to keep supporting this phone well into the future. It's definitely going to get KLP. And depending on how small the KLP footprint is, it might get the following update.

I was surprised at the size of the block, for the Nexus 4, on that fragmentation image posted recently. I would say that this phone has been the most popular one up to now.

Ephemeris

meh, its in line with their other nexus ads, back to the previous n7... its similar, but different enough

i still haven't broken down and gotten one... yet

I'm thinking of going with the LTE N7 thanks to Tmobile's good prices.

But I won't lie, Moto X would be my next depending on the price.

I use Firefox, the default browser and Chrome. Usually in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom