• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What browser does everyone here use for their phones? I'm trying to decide between the one that came with my phone, Chrome, and dolphin.

It's not one that a lot of people seem to use, but I've been enjoying using UC Browser in addition to Chrome.

UC Browser seems a little slower that Chrome (haven't tested it, though), but it has a lot of features that I like. It has in-app brightness control and when you scroll down quickly it will have a scroll bar appear on the right side of the screen which lets you instantly zip down long webpages (or Gaf threads).

I think Opera has a similar fast scroll feature, but that's only for zipping to the bottom of the page instead of allowing you zip wherever you want to go. Plus I wasn't a fan of the Opera redesign they did recently.

jokkir

I most likely won't use LTE because Wind Mobile doesn't support it yet or won't support it in the near future. I'm probably still going to get an S4 a few months from now but I need a device to continue trying to learn Android Development. I'm not really into the emulators that are available >__>

SimleuqiR

I most likely won't use LTE because Wind Mobile doesn't support it yet or won't support it in the near future. I'm probably still going to get an S4 a few months from now but I need a device to continue trying to learn Android Development. I'm not really into the emulators that are available >__>

Well then yeah, the Nexus 4 is a good device. Specially if you can get it in the <$150 range.

Dynedom

Anyone got a good suggestion for a Battery monitoring app?

I currently use JuiceDefender (free) to manage my battery but I've noticed recently that my phone won't even last one day. The only things I can think of are recent updates to my software and new games I downloaded (most of which I deleted).

My system battery manager says Android OS is using most of my battery (I'm on Paranoid Android).

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT-P3100 on version 4.1.2.
Can I update it to 4.3?Does this tablet support it? Or can I put stock android on it like how it is on Nexus 7?
I just want to remove the awful TouchWiz UI.
So what are my options?
Also I am a complete Android noob so I need some direction or a tutorial about what all can I do?
I checked xda dev forums but couldn't understand the android lingo.

jokkir

Anyone got a good suggestion for a Battery monitoring app?

I currently use JuiceDefender (free) to manage my battery but I've noticed recently that my phone won't even last one day. The only things I can think of are recent updates to my software and new games I downloaded (most of which I deleted).

My system battery manager says Android OS is using most of my battery (I'm on Paranoid Android).

BetterBatteryStats

PriitV

I have never, ever, ever even gotten close to 10 MBPS between Baltimore, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Austin and Atlanta.

Yeah, over on the other continent we easily get 21Mbit or even 42Mbit from some carries on HSPA+. I guess that's really why I've never seen the appeal of LTE

Yeah, over on the other continent we easily get 21Mbit or even 42Mbit from some carries on HSPA+. I guess that's really why I've never seen the appeal of LTE

As others said, it's about latency not raw speed.

I used to get 12mbps on HSPA+, and I get, on average, 18mbps on LTE (sometimes more/less). However, I went from roughly 100ms latency to ~30.

It makes a huge difference.

Zeppu

So I had a looksie at that iPhone 14% thread and as usual it's veered onto Android fragmentation. This got met thinking. Is it even possible to buy a pre-ICS device in the US anymore? All version of the SDK come with support libraries to get everything introduced post ICS in previous versions, so it's never really necessary to compile against any SDK version above ICS. So, essentially version fragmentation is no where near as bad for both users and developers as it was, say a year ago.

You also support 61% of the market users by targeting ICS;

chart

SimleuqiR

..once you use it, you'll understand.

When I had the Galaxy Nexus as my main phone, my brother jumped in and bought one too....on Verizon.

Tried his internet a couple of times...never wanted to try it again. Because using it made me realized how much slower my speeds were. LOL.

So yeah. Once you go LTE, it's hard to go back.

PriitV

Oh well, I guess I'm lucky to have wifi almost everywhere. Not going to pay premium right now just to see how much better the latency is on LTE.

So I had a looksie at that iPhone 14% thread and as usual it's veered onto Android fragmentation. This got met thinking. Is it even possible to buy a pre-ICS device in the US anymore? All version of the SDK come with support libraries to get everything introduced post ICS in previous versions, so it's never really necessary to compile against any SDK version above ICS. So, essentially version fragmentation is no where near as bad for both users and developers as it was, say a year ago.

You also support 61% of the market users by targeting ICS;

chart

yes.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

yyzjohn

Banned
Finally got 4.3 on my Nexus 4. Loving it so far, the animations are somewhat different in some apps, noticed on Falcon Pro it brings up pictures inline with a strange pop in/fade in effect that I never saw before.

Also I finally get track name information in my car stereo when I'm streaming music through bluetooth. It's like I'm in the Star Trek age now!

As others said, it's about latency not raw speed.

I used to get 12mbps on HSPA+, and I get, on average, 18mbps on LTE (sometimes more/less). However, I went from roughly 100ms latency to ~30.

It makes a huge difference.

This. The most annoying thing is when you WAIT for the connection to start whereas on LTE it's pretty much instantaneous.

VPhys

So I'm getting kind of hyped for the Moto X. Leo Laporte says it's going to be the best Android phone available. Strange because everything I have read has lead me to believe it's going to be upper mid-range, more like an upgrade to the Nexus 4.

So I'm getting kind of hyped for the Moto X. Leo Laporte says it's going to be the best Android phone available. Strange because everything I have read has lead me to believe it's going to be upper mid-range, more like an upgrade to the Nexus 4.

Debatable. It's using a modified dual-core version of the S4 Pro in the N4, according to leaks.

Wondering how many more of these is the Galaxy Nexus going to get.

Any word if they updated the radios and drivers on this puppy?

4.3 breathed new life into the GNex's antiquated guts. So, I would think KLP is very possible, though not guaranteed by any means.

If the iPhone 3GS can get iOS 6, then there's no reason why Google's Galaxy Nexus can't get KLP. I'm not expecting all features that can't be supported by the hardware or UI performance on iOS/Windows Phone level (some optimization would be nice, though, cus it got worse with 4.2 for no reason at all), but come on. They'd have to bring it really, really big to convince me that a dual-core A9, with a 720p screen (on paper at least) and 1 GB RAM can't run their latest OS.

Why does fucking Apple always have to be the metric when it comes to fucking OS updates?

Sent from my iPad (late 2013), which won't get iOS 8

Just be lucky you're not feeling like this right now:

Why would I? I bought a Nexus phone after all.

The update has finished and the performance after the first boot is terrible. It took ages to load the widgets on the home screen and the general performance feels worse than before. I hope it's better after a second reboot.

So what the hell is the point of the size, version and required Android version fields in the play store when every single app just says "varies with device"? smh.

The update has finished and the performance after the first boot is terrible. It took ages to load the widgets on the home screen and the general performance feels worse than before. I hope it's better after a second reboot.

New to Android? First boots are always a bit rough, due to the dalvik cache being cleared during the update.

Everything is back to normal with the second boot. It's not slower than before but still not as smooth as it was with 4.1. Anyway, one thing that is still noticeably slower is the flip animation from the notification center to the quick settings. The flip takes about twice as long and that's annoying the shit out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom