• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Galaxy Nexus would be my last Android device if it doesn't get 5.0. Seriously.

It came out 20 months ago, and KLP is probably beyond the reach of the hardware in the Gnex. Google also seem to have an all or nothing policy, I don't think they will port KLP without certain key features for the Gnex just so they can say they are giving it the update.

Cipherr

It came out 20 months ago, and KLP is probably beyond the reach of the hardware in the Gnex. Google also seem to have an all or nothing policy, I don't think they will port KLP without certain key features for the Gnex just so they can say they are giving it the update.

Mmmhmm. It wouldn't surprise me if the GNex got 5.0, but by that point it would be over 2 years old, and Android doesn't do the "strip all the important shit and call it an update just for the sake of it" stuff. It either runs the new version or it doesn't.

I reckon it will get KLP though having said that I am still waiting for 4.3

Please tell me, what could be so important in KLP, that it couldn't possibly run on the GN.

No idea. Just saying Google don't take the Apple route of stripping out new features for older devices just so they can say there is no fragmentation.

Which is absolutely hilarious. But we did get some really weird comments from them lately, so it wouldn't surprise me. They must be smoking the same shit that the Windows Phone team got.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
These are my usual HSPA+ speeds

9J8ALF0.png

Got the 4.3 update on G-Nex.

First impression is it seems faster. Before when trying to switch from Browser to any other app it would hiccup but smooth so far. Let's see if it's real or just a placebo.

RoKKeR

Question: I downloaded a text file and have unzipped it with ES File Explorer, and would like to use it in the Widget Minimalistic Text. Only when I go to select font in the widget I don't see my downloaded font. I have done it before but I'm not sure why the unzipped previous text files show up, but not my current ones.

Any thoughts?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Wow, the photosphere stitching is a lot better in 4.3. Just did a test shot in my office and it came out perfectly smooth.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I will eat my hat if 5.0 doesn't come to the GNex. Relax. It'll be there.

whitehawk

Banned
4.3 has sort of broken my phone. Nexus 4 here. After not using it for a while (not very long), the phone turns off. At least when I hit the sleep button, nothing happens. I hold it for a while and nothing. Eventually it will turn on again after hitting power this has happened 3 times so far since the update, 0 before...

whitehawk

Banned
4.3 has sort of broken my phone. Nexus 4 here. After not using it for a while (not very long), the phone turns off. At least when I hit the sleep button, nothing happens. I hold it for a while and nothing. Eventually it will turn on again after hitting power this has happened 3 times so far since the update, 0 before...
Just happened again. It was in sleep mode for like 5-10 minutes. The hell.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
And the GN 20 months old now.....

are we on the same page?

Bro. GN was new hardware when it came out. NS was already a year old on release. If KLP requires beefier tech, the GN will have a year's head start on the NS.

tzare

I would get the Nexus 4 personally out of all those you mentioned. It has the best software support of any Android phone and it's pretty cheap to get directly from Google. Btw, the N4 and SP have almost identical screen sizes (4.65" vs 4.64") but I think the N4 has better software support and better hardware for a similar price. The only advantage I think the SP has over the N4 is build quality (aluminium) and battery life.

Thanks for the advice, where can i check real screen sizes?, as gsmarena is not as accurate as i would like (it says SP is 4.6 and n4 4.7), and i thought SP would be more like my Xperia T which is 4,55, and my wife would prefer a slightly bigger screen as hers S3 was 4.8

Maybe this MotoX could be an option too, but looks like won't be available in the EU

Like in online games? That's a really, really small minority on phones.

They once thought browsing the Internet was a really, really small minority on phones.

Now look at the world.

And I've actually played MMOs over Verizon 4G LTE, tethering my laptop to my Note II. The latency is close enough to landline that I pretty much can play normally without needing to make any adjustments for additional lag.

At least you don't mince words...

I don't even get it though. It's not like the US market is tiny.

A Japanese/European company which has absolutely no idea how to attack the carrier dominated market in the US. Even in Japan Sony are struggling to get their devices on more than just NTT, their first non-NTT device has yet to release on KDDI and they don't have anything for SoftBank despite Son wanting an Xperia phone for the network even going as far as making a personal appeal to Kunimasa Suzuki from what I heard.

In the US last year they got burned by AT&T with the late release of the Ion and TL, so they went to T-Mobile who promised faster time to market, but then SMC couldn't deliver and the Z ended up with a three month delay. The i1 will be out on time and T-Mobile will deliver on their promise, but AT&T would have as well given that i1 is going to be a very hot product in high demand in Q4.

They just have absolutely no idea on how to attack the US market, and they aren't willing to back their products with decent sized marketing budgets to get the Xperia brand out there. They need to get the L and M onto shitty carriers and sell them cheap to get the brand awareness going and then make a full assault with a high end phone in 2014. That's basically what Samsung did with the Galaxy line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom