• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
At least you don't mince words...

I don't even get it though. It's not like the US market is tiny.

It isn't tiny but it isn't competitive. Apple and Samsung basically split the market 50-50. Almost no room for anyone else. I don't think there is a single smartphone manufacturer that has market share above 1-3% in America not named Samsung or Apple.

Europe and Asia are different, there is a lot more room there since Apple doesn't have a lockdown on 50% of the entire market in Europe or Asia like they do in America. Android has a lot more room for other phones in those markets.

I just read/watched The Verge's review of the new N7. Something about it is really annoying. I think it's the repetitive format of "even though (slightly bad thing), it's still (fairly pleasant thing)" that every sentence seems to follow. The video and article basically recommend the device and call it one of the best tablets and an unbeatable value, all while impressively sounding completely bored by the product and apathetic to its existence.

And the review seems to take a bit of time to critique the writer's own media consumption habits. I'm all for a comprehensive piece analyzing what effect modern technology has on our motivation to educate and enrich ourselves, but it should be separate from a review of a specific product.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/26/4558626/google-nexus-7-review-2013

I don't like David Pierce's reviews. They're always caveat city.

I prefer Nilay's the best. He's the most blunt out of all of their crew. Dieter's reviews are pretty concise as well.
I've never paid attention to who writes what before, but Nilay Patel did the Chromecast review and it's not much better. It's like they're afraid to give an opinion. I'm sure part of the problem is that with products like these, a user can't really know if it becomes part of his lifestyle until 6 months down the road and he realizes "I never use this thing" or "I've been wearing this thing out!" Meanwhile the top tech sites are expected to have a review within a few hours, so the best they can do is some middling vagueness.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/29/4566718/google-chromecast-review

And after a few days of testing, it seems like the Chromecast might actually deliver on all that potential, but Google still has a lot of work to do.

It still works, but it wasn't exactly reassuring.

It's all a little more cable clutter than I expected, but it's not the end of the world.

Apple's AirPlay also works like this in some cases, but it can also stream audio and video directly from iPhones, iPads, and iTunes on the Mac and PC.

It's not a big problem, but it's added complexity.

That makes it super easy to use, but also opens up a world of elaborate trolling.

Pandora support is coming, but unless you're a heavy Google Play user, right now the Chromecast's entire app story is Netflix and YouTube.

...you'll see the video on your TV just fine, but the audio will still come out of your computer.

I use AirPlay in the iOS YouTube app all the time, but search and discovery is still so much better on a laptop that it makes for a whole different experience.

But for the most part it works, and it works well enough to use regularly.

...the improved AirPlay support coming in OS X Mavericks will probably be better than either solution, but for right now it's a wash.

And if all you want is Netflix, spend $50 on a Roku — it’s better all the way around. But if you’re the type who routinely watches things on a laptop and just wants an easier, cleaner way to get those things on a TV, the Chromecast is a no-brainer.

I have no idea if Google can build the Chromecast ecosystem into something rivals AirPlay, but for $35 I’ll be too busy sending tabs from Chrome to really even care.

NOT MUCH OF AN AIRPLAY COMPETITOR, BUT A GREAT WIRELESS DISPLAY FOR CHROME

Groof

I've never paid attention to who writes what before, but Nilay Patel did the Chromecast review and it's not much better. It's like they're afraid to give an opinion. I'm sure part of the problem is that with products like these, I user can't really know if it becomes part of his lifestyle until 6 months down the road and he realizes "I never use this thing" or "I've been wearing this thing out!" Meanwhile the top tech sites are expected to have a review within a few hours, so the best they can do is some middling vagueness.

Norm from Tested wrote a great article about just this subject. This paragraph in particular:

It's no secret why sites want to get reviews out as soon as possible. They want those reviews to be timely. They want those reviews to be relevant. And they want their reviews to be indexed by Google and aggregation sites like TechMeme. The way web search and social sharing work now, early reviews (ie. stories that call themselves Reviews in the headline) are rewarded with more initial clicks and links, which entrench them into higher Google rankings. It's a game that all websites play because they think they have to. This--search engine optimization--is the reality of the modern web, and how siterunners argue that they have go along with in order to survive. It's also bullshit.

SimleuqiR

I've never paid attention to who writes what before, but Nilay Patel did the Chromecast review and it's not much better. It's like they're afraid to give an opinion. I'm sure part of the problem is that with products like these, a user can't really know if it becomes part of his lifestyle until 6 months down the road and he realizes "I never use this thing" or "I've been wearing this thing out!" Meanwhile the top tech sites are expected to have a review within a few hours, so the best they can do is some middling vagueness.

But, but, but. LOL
They should come back to devices in about a month and give their impression again - see if something has changed.

Anyway, Youtube, Netflix and even G-music all access show the potential of the device. It's up to Google to keep the momentum going by having some stock available. Vimeo and Redbox have confirm support for the dongle.

I really need Amazon Video and Hulu to be available on this thing. That would make it such a complete entertainment on the go product.

gcubed

But, but, but. LOL
They should come back to devices in about a month and give their impression again - see if something has changed.

Anyway, Youtube, Netflix and even G-music all access show the potential of the device. It's up to Google to keep the momentum going by having some stock available. Vimeo and Redbox have confirm support for the dongle.

I really need Amazon Video and Hulu to be available on this thing. That would make it such a complete entertainment on the go product.

HBO Go being on its way is also another huge thing. Amazon Video would actually have to exist on non shit forks of android

How on earth did it ever ship without it? That thing got released in 2012, ffs.

oh it was there! it just wasn't turned on

SimleuqiR

HBO Go being on its way is also another huge thing. Amazon Video would actually have to exist on non shit forks of android

I'm really surprise that Amazon hasn't released their video service to all devices. It's dumb to contain it to only your devices. If they really want to compete against Netflix they need to be on as many devices as possible.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How on earth did it ever ship without it? That thing got released in 2012, ffs.

TRIM function is a straight shittastic idea. It's like a get out of jail free card.

The only reason TRIM functions are needed is because people are shipping stuff with total shit SSDs. So TRIM is just a band aid for companies not doing their own work and having good garbage collection to begin with.

Linus has made this exact statement too when all the SSD support was starting to make way into the kernel.

TRIM function is a straight shittastic idea. It's like a get out of jail free card.

The only reason TRIM functions are needed is because people are shipping stuff with total shit SSDs. So TRIM is just a band aid for companies not doing their own work and having good garbage collection to begin with.

Linus has made this exact statement too when all the SSD support was starting to make way into the kernel.

Then maybe Google shouldn't have told Asus to build a piece of shit.

Zeppu

You could buy last year's and this year's 16GB Nexus 7 for the price of a 32GB iPad mini. That's 14 inches of screen for the price of barely 8.

Hackbert

mhh.... i am a Motorola Defy User since 3.5 years and think it is time to get a new phone. I think i will cancel my running contract with BASE (i am from Germany) and will wait what good phones are available in January.

my big favorite would be the HTC One (mini) it would be a no brainer with an SDslot. So what is your opinion, what alternatives are there on the same level. Xperia Z is a nice phone, but i don´t like glossy looks

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So opera keeps crashing on me. Googled " we wont mess things up with updates" .....not working out.

Not using Chrome?
zWVbK.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
mhh.... i am a Motorola Defy User since 3.5 years and think it is time to get a new phone. I think i will cancel my running contract with BASE (i am from Germany) and will wait what good phones are available in January.

my big favorite would be the HTC One (mini) it would be a no brainer with an SDslot. So what is your opinion, what alternatives are there on the same level. Xperia Z is a nice phone, but i don´t like glossy looks

6 months in phone time is an eternity. Best to reask the question when you are within a month of purchase. Also unless we get a new Nexus January is like the worst time to buy a new phone.

Ephemeris

Thanks guys.

I'm the one with the Big Boss gif lol

Not much people hyped for the Moto X? I swear, it seems like it's just Gcubed and myself and we're on again, off again lol

I know it seems to be 2012 spec'd but as someone who is surprisingly happy with his Galaxy S3 (probably thanks to that 2GB of RAM), I'm more interested in the crazy sensors side of things.

And that shit better be getting fast updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom