• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
So I went to XDA to see if there was a new 4.2.2 base for the HTC One and...

[ROM][MIKE1986][JELLY BEAN][HTC ONE][ROOT] [ROM] Android Revolution HD 12.1 | 4.2.2 | High Quality & Performance | 2.24.401.1

How does that forum permit a thread title like this. WHAT IS THIS.

High Quality & Performance, what else do you need to know?

thespot84

I'll admit I'm comparing to a shitty baseline, but why is this pic bad? I think it's quite good (full size):

IMG_20130801_100424946.jpg

Ephemeris

ANYWAY, the wait for the Nexus 5 continues.

Taylor Wimberly just posted the his source, which basically scooped the Moto X entirely and got every detail right, said there will be a 4in Motorola Nexus this year alongside a LG Nexus device.

LG Nexus 5?
Motorola Nexus 4?

I can't buy into any more hype. I can't.

IeVvdOE.gif

3phemeral

I'll admit I'm comparing to a shitty baseline, but why is this pic bad? I think it's quite good (full size):

I was about to post a few shots, but decided it wasn't worth it. Anandtech seems to feel the device is of good quality, but they haven't dedicated a complete review for it yet. I'll wait until then to make any further decisions on whether Google/Moto made a good choice in optimizing the hardware for Android-specific features versus raw-performance goals.

rrs

The Moto X was cool when it was 200-300 USD off contract, was a nexus device and more, had loads of customization, switchable backs and was a mid range device.

So much disappointment.

bjscott05

Man, no way the moto x camera is worse than the Nexus 4's. I use the nexus 4 and man the camera is shit. HDR pics help a little.

thespot84

Push the next button a few times...

what, the pictures of the text? again, shitty baseline, but I'd like to see some comparisons taken with the s4 and one of the same page, same light same angle etc. Would the s4 and one really perform noticeably better than those? The elevator shot sucks but it all looks like motion blur to me. I can take a shitty picture with a DSLR too, doesn't prove much.

Sky Chief

The Moto X was cool when it was 200-300 USD off contract, was a nexus device and more, had loads of customization, switchable backs and was a mid range device.

So much disappointment.

The Moto X is so underwhelming that I can't even be bothered to bitch about it anymore

Smart people like John Gruber of Daring Fireball seem to believe that Android development takes 3x as many developers as iOS. He believes it so strongly he mentions it again in another post about analysts who try to fit facts into a narrative.

Unlike John, we actually do Android development full time, and we have for many years. We’ve made big apps, we’ve made small apps. Sorry to disappoint you John, but a talented Android developer works at roughly the same speed as a talented iOS one. They make the same apps, of the same complexity, in the same amount of time. Sure there are differences in platforms and API. Some things are quicker to do on iOS, others on Android. Long story short, there’s not a lot of difference when it comes to development time.

Full Article: iOS vs Android, Great Balls of Fire

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm looking for more 3DS friends. Would any of Android-GAF like to exchange friend codes?

1032-1784-4853

My online handle for video game stuff is Vanillalite or just Vanilla.

AIGHT I JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK CAME STRAIGHT HERE. I want you guys to fill me in on everything. And yes I read that rogers exclusive before any one of you mofos mentions that again. Play store only selling to US? Is the moto x shit? Battery life? EVERYTHING.

Go.

AIGHT I JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK CAME STRAIGHT HERE. I want you guys to fill me in on everything. And yes I read that rogers exclusive before any one of you mofos mentions that again. Play store only selling to US? Is the moto x shit? Battery life? EVERYTHING.

Go.
It's shit and expensive. Done.

Go.

Prepare to cry, that's all im saying.

Go.

One word: garbage

kehs

Banned

Go.

You know what's here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I will make this statement. Certain companies have shown you CAN make a great Android phone in terms of industrial design.

This IMO means there isn't much reason to cut bad industrial design handsets slack. FFS Moto the X looks great, but the Droid lineup is horrifically bad.

Sammy your on the clock with the Note 3 design.

The sad thing is that the Moto X seemed to have a lot of effort put into its design. It's definitely very nice and I love them embracing more than just black and white/silver. They just blew it with the specs and pricing.

This thing will probably bomb and deter Google/Moto/other OEMs from investing in anything like this again.

So, I'm off to the Moto X launch party. I fully expect the disappointment hypetrain to continue for me with either:

A) no free phones given out or hands-on at all
B) free phones given out... but only ones locked to At&T or Verizon. No T-Mobile.

If scenario B happens, I will sell them to any NY GAFer interested.

thespot84

The sad thing is that the Moto X seemed to have a lot of effort put into its design. It's definitely very nice and I love them embracing more than just black and white/silver. They just blew it with the specs and pricing.

This thing will probably bomb and deter Google/Moto/other OEMs from investing in anything like this again.

I get the argument about specs and I understand the people like us care about it, but are we all really so self absorbed to not realize the 98% of the market doesn't give two shits about what's on the inside? Why do you think the marketing fluff has been about the screens as of late, not the processors. 98% of people have never heard of snapdragon, or exanos, or even qualcomm outside of a reference to the charger's stadium. To say this thing will fail on specs completely and uttery misses the point. People buy the iphone because it's pretty and it sells an IDEA. They don't care what's inside. The moto x is certainly pretty enough. The software features seems to be a strong differentiator, and they're spending HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to market the thing. If you don't honestly think this will sell in spades you're lying to yourself.

Fatalah

So, I'm off to the Moto X launch party. I fully expect the disappointment hypetrain to continue for me with either:

A) no free phones given out or hands-on at all
B) free phones given out... but only ones locked to At&T or Verizon. No T-Mobile.

If scenario B happens, I will sell them to any NY GAFer interested.

I'm here!

daoster

I get the argument about specs and I understand the people like us care about it, but are we all really so self absorbed to not realize the 98% of the market doesn't give two shits about what's on the inside? Why do you think the marketing fluff has been about the screens as of late, not the processors. 98% of people have never heard of snapdragon, or exanos, or even qualcomm outside of a reference to the charger's stadium. To say this thing will fail on specs completely and uttery misses the point. People buy the iphone because it's pretty and it sells an IDEA. They don't care what's inside. The moto x is certainly pretty enough. The software features seems to be a strong differentiator, and they're spending HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to market the thing. If you don't honestly think this will sell in spades you're lying to yourself.

Pray tell me why the other 98% will choose this over the Galaxy S4? The Galaxy is a bigger brand, Samsung's marketing budget is nothing to laugh at, and the Galaxy brand has also had a large head start.

How does the software differentiate itself completely from the S4? Being able to see the time and temperature and missed calls without using your hands...might be interesting, but I would argue that a lot of the TouchWiz interface/customization SEEMS more useful (even if in practice, they don't necessarily work out).

The Galaxy brand has also built an idea, it positions itself as the "anti-iPhone," for the folks who aren't hipster enough for the Apple crowd. This actually resonates pretty strongly, and probably resonates better with consumers then whatever idea Motorola is trying to sell with their Moto X.

The Moto X is far from assuredly "selling in spades" as you seem to think it will.

My Verizon contract for the wife and I is up this month. I'm in the market for either a couple of Nexus 4s or Galaxy S4s. Are S4s worth double the cost of the Nexus 4? Is the smart play to buy two unlocked Nexus 4s? It feels like it is.

My Verizon contract for the wife and I is up this month. I'm in the market for either a couple of Nexus 4s or Galaxy S4s. Are S4s worth double the cost of the Nexus 4? Is the smart play to buy two unlocked Nexus 4s? It feels like it is.
I don't think nexus 4s work on Verizon

GatorBait

Man, this may be bad timing to ask this with the Moto X reveal being today, but I got a Nexus 7 last weekend and I wanted to get a bit of feedback from you guys:

1) For those who have tried multiple launchers, which one did you like the best and why?

2) What are some of the most awesome/flashy widgets?

The Verge confirmed with Motorola that the company presently has no plans to bring the device to Europe. Instead, the company is planning a portfolio of devices around the Moto X brand, some of which might hit Europe

No plans for the rest of the world, the gift that keeps on giving.

tino

Banned

You would need to take a picture of fresh fruit or vergetable or alot of skin tone in nature light in order to tell how good the sensor is. These kind of photo won't tell you anything except make sharpness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom