• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXPett1

ANYWAY, the wait for the Nexus 5 continues.

Taylor Wimberly just posted the his source, which basically scooped the Moto X entirely and got every detail right, said there will be a 4in Motorola Nexus this year alongside a LG Nexus device.

LG Nexus 5?
Motorola Nexus 4?

More like a Moto X Google Edition and a LG Nexus 5. Just like ASUS did no wrong with the N7, LG were always going to get another dig at the Nexus 4 (2013/14)

More like a Moto X Google Edition and a LG Nexus 5. Just like ASUS did no wrong with the N7, LG were always going to get another dig at the Nexus 4 (2013/14)

But LG did do wrong with the Nexus 4. The new Droid Maxx has a larger battery than the N4 and is slimmer.

tino

Banned
Guys I just realized something:

Samsung: Galaxy Nexus, N10
HTC: N1
Asus: N7
LG: N4
Motorola: Moto X, Xoom

The quality of the Google devices are directly related to the quality of the OEM.

keanu-meme.jpg

Okay, so the announcement has passed, and I'm going to ask those of you who are better suited than me this question for the millionth time, so my apologies:

What phone should I get? I'm on Verizon, and my current phone is an Xperia Play. Pretty much everything is an upgrade. Where do I go from here (also, I would like updates on my phones)?

tino

Banned
Okay, so the announcement has passed, and I'm going to ask those of you who are better suited than me this question for the millionth time, so my apologies:

What phone should I get? I'm on Verizon, and my current phone is an Xperia Play. Pretty much everything is an upgrade. Where do I go from here (also, I would like updates on my phones)?

Moto Maxx or S4, or wait for the Note 3.

catmincer

Blue HTC One in 2 weeks! ;)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the Moto X was a bust, but I hate my HTC Evo 4G LTE. Argh, what to do.

Any reason you hate your Evo 4G LTE? Do you have it rooted with a custom ROM?

I figure it should easily last you till 2014 unless it has actual hardware failure like the rest of the top end phones from last year.

PS: Honestly everyone on Verizon if you've not picked up the GS4 and waited this long for the Moto X or the One to jump ship I'd just wait the extra month till we get solid Note 3 info.

Quasar

Kind of surprised by the Moto X hate. Seems nice enough to me, unsubsidised pricing aside. Especially if it has relatively extended battery life. Seems like a nice overall package for a mainstream phone, and has some interesting tweaks for an android phone.

I wonder what flow on effect that will have to both future nexus phones and non nexus phones from competitors.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Any reason you hate your Evo 4G LTE? Do you have it rooted with a custom ROM?

I figure it should easily last you till 2014 unless it has actual hardware failure like the rest of the top end phones from last year.

PS: Honestly everyone on Verizon if you've not picked up the GS4 and waited this long for the Moto X or the One to jump ship I'd just wait the extra month till we get solid Note 3 info.

I had it rooted (HTCDev method) w/ a Sense-based ROM, but I unrooted it for some reason. I want an AOSP-based ROM, but I believe you need S-OFF for that, and DirtyRacun doesn't have 64-bit W7 support. If anyone knows of any other method to get S-OFF, or has custom ROM suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Kind of surprised by the Moto X hate. Seems nice enough to me, unsubsidised pricing aside. Especially if it has relatively extended battery life. Seems like a nice overall package for a mainstream phone, and has some interesting tweaks for an android phone.

I wonder what flow on effect that will have to both future nexus phones and non nexus phones from competitors.

Because it isn't as good as the phones in it's price range.

Moto Maxx or S4, or wait for the Note 3.

Whoa, the Moto Maxx looks like a better version of the Moto X! Like, if Moto X were brought up to the same standards as an S4. And how would we do on updates? Like, Android 4.3 and 5.0 guaranteed?

In fact, the Moto Maxx seems to have everything the Moto X does, except $50 more and with no customization. But with higher specs.

(Note 3 may be too big for my tastes)

Blue HTC One in 2 weeks! ;)

How's HTC on getting out updates? I think I heard some unsavory things a bit back...

rrs

I had it rooted (HTCDev method) w/ a Sense-based ROM, but I unrooted it for some reason. I want an AOSP-based ROM, but I believe you need S-OFF for that, and DirtyRacun doesn't have 64-bit W7 support. If anyone knows of any other method to get S-OFF, or has custom ROM suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

I use CM 10.1 on my phone as it's the closest to stock ROM for my phone (HTC Evo 3D)

Quasar

Because it isn't as good as the phones in it's price range.

In terms of spec sheet measuring, sure I guess. Phone experience quality is more than a spec sheet though. Which is why, with the interesting new features, I'm willing to wait on reviews from folks who have used it a while before I write it off.

Not that I'm in the market to replace my nexus4.

RM8

I don't have even half a year with my Xperia P and I already want a Xperia SP because I keep reading it has gorilla glass :O Whatever "scratch-resistant" stuff the Xperia P uses... it's absolutely no gorilla glass :(

Vanillalite

I'm looking for more 3DS friends. Would any of Android-GAF like to exchange friend codes?

1032-1784-4853

My online handle for video game stuff is Vanillalite or just Vanilla.

Nobody in Android-GAF wants to add me? :(

PS: *whistles *
I can haz secret...

ISOM

Why do people think the Nexus 5 will be a cheap phone like the Nexus 4?

I have to wonder why now that google has released it's phone from moto that they would undercut their own product by releasing a cheaper nexus 5 from another company. It kinda doesn't make sense.

Quasar

I have to wonder why now that google has released it's phone from moto that they would undercut their own product by releasing a cheaper nexus 5 from another company. It kinda doesn't make sense.

Perhaps more proof that they aren't going to shaft their partners. Of course the whole thing about Google having their own handset maker is just weird in terms of the android ecosystem.

tino

Banned
I'm super glad.

1. I'm on SERO Premium. $50/mo w/Unlimited Data, Text, etc..

2. The only carrier here with better coverage is Verizon.

3. LTE is lighting up, I'm winning right about now!

My friend switched from a dumb LG phone to S4 finally. Unfortunately he also switched from Verizon to Sprint.

When I was in Flushing he tried to show case an app to me. And Sprint had no signal, in the middle of main street in Flushing.

My friend switched from a dumb LG phone to S4 finally. Unfortunately he also switched from Verizon to Sprint.

When I was in Flushing he tried to show case an app to me. And Sprint had no signal, in the middle of main street in Flushing.

i never had a problem like that in NYC. or up and down the east coast... from RI to FL

Talon

To be fair, he was in Flushing. The only reason to be there is cheap asian food and used car parts.

Vanillalite

So the Korean Press say Samsung will reveal the Note 3 and other goodies in Berlin on Sept. 3rd.

If your a disgruntled Verizon user who wasn't happy with the Moto X and hasn't already gotten on the S4 bandwagon I'd wait for the Note 3. That's even with the HTC One coming soon.

Talon

So the Korean Press say Samsung will reveal the Note 3 and other goodies in Berlin on Sept. 3rd.

If your a disgruntled Verizon user who wasn't happy with the Moto X and hasn't already gotten on the S4 bandwagon I'd wait for the Note 3. That's even with the HTC One coming soon.
And then sell it on eBay, so you can buy a Nexus 5, right?

Looking at all the facts we have about the X now (pricing, android version), it doesn't look like your typical Google phone at all.

Heck it might even get a play store edition. Google treats Moto like any other manufacturer it seems.

Husker86

And then sell it on eBay, so you can buy a Nexus 5, right?

He said Verizon users. Pretty sure Verizon kissed any chance of a Nexus device away after the Galaxy Nexus. That is, until VoLTE is implemented and they have to let any LTE device work on their network.

Yeah, so... which wins? Droid Maxx, Galaxy SIV or HTC one? Which will I be able to trust for updates the most?

Can I expect Droid Maxx to be updated because Motorola's under Google? Or the SIV because it's a Galaxy phone? Or HTC One for reasons I don't know?

Yeah, so... which wins? Droid Maxx, Galaxy SIV or HTC one? Which will I be able to trust for updates the most?

Can I expect Droid Maxx to be updated because Motorola's under Google? Or the SIV because it's a Galaxy phone? Or HTC One for reasons I don't know?

The Droid Maxx is neither a Motorola phone nor is it a Google phone, it's a Verizon phone, so expect one OS update 6-9 months late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom