• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people think the Nexus 5 will be a cheap phone like the Nexus 4?

Google tends to subsidize the Nexus phones. They did not subsidize the Play store editions of the S4 and one, and it remains to be seen if they will subsidize the X.

The Nexus phones have been getting cheaper over time, not more expensive. The Nexus One was $529, which at the time was a steal for off-contract pricing. The Nexus S was the same. Then, the Galaxy Nexus was $400 on the Play Store. Finally, the Nexus 4 at $300-350.

I would say $300-400 is a safe bet.

Those are on the Droid Maxx, what he's saying is that you won't get updates from Google, only Verizon..

..when they feel like it, that is.

Oh, I got that. I was saying that it sucks that it's a Verizon phone in that way - pretty much a dealbreaker, so I'll miss those things. Took forever to get 2.3.4 on my Xperia Play, and still with no Playstation Mobile, so fuck any phone that Verizon has put too much of themselves into.

Matugi

I really don't know what to do when it comes time to upgrade in a couple weeks. I'm not exactly comfortable shelling out $200 for the MotoX especially after Verizon got fucked over in that regard, and the $300 for the Droid Maxx which will likely only get one or two updates despite being close to stock Android is also painful. I'm not a huge fan of TouchWiz or the build quality or the S4, and the HTC One is nice but it's dead in the water because of HTC's financial situation. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the MotoX, though...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I really don't know what to do when it comes time to upgrade in a couple weeks. I'm not exactly comfortable shelling out $200 for the MotoX especially after Verizon got fucked over in that regard, and the $300 for the Droid Maxx which will likely only get one or two updates despite being close to stock Android is also painful. I'm not a huge fan of TouchWiz or the build quality or the S4, and the HTC One is nice but it's dead in the water because of HTC's financial situation. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the MotoX, though...

If you're comfortable with rooting and ROM flashing, the One is still a good investment, especially since verizon is getting a blue variant:

HTCOneBlue.jpg

the GS4 has awesome build quality. people complain about the materials, nobody questions the quality. if you're *really* concerned about TouchWiz, there's CM and Google Edition ROM ports and you can still pick up a GS4 that can be exploited out of the box.

Matugi

If you're comfortable with rooting and ROM flashing, the One is still a good investment, especially since verizon is getting a blue variant:

Is it any more risky than jailbreaking an iPod because I don't want to spend $200, void the warranty, then brick the phone

Matugi

you can live out that exact same scenario with an iDevice

it's not any harder, dunno if there are any statistics on the risk, but i doubt it's higher

Yeah I was just referring to the difficulty/risk of it, I have no intention of getting an iPhone lol. I was curious because I had tried jailbreaking my iPod a few years ago and apparently tried jailbreaking without upgrading to the proper iOS (2.3 at the time I think) and ended up wiping the phone and having to reinstall everything.

Yeah I was just referring to the difficulty/risk of it, I have no intention of getting an iPhone lol. I was curious because I had tried jailbreaking my iPod a few years ago and apparently tried jailbreaking without upgrading to the proper iOS (2.3 at the time I think) and ended up wiping the phone and having to reinstall everything.

the key things are...

read *EVERYTHING* first. more than once.

download *EVERYTHING* before you start. and check them to see if they extract, etc if necessary.

make sure to note and test the procedures for going into whatever bootloader/recovery modes may be necessary.

then actually start.

it's easier on Samsungs, <3 ODIN

Welp, now that the Moto X is a fail I guess it's time to flash the LTE radio onto my Nexus 4.

Anyone else do this? Does it mess anything up?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm telling you if you don't mind the size all sights should be on the GNote 3 Verizon users. As soon as it hits it'll take the crown as the best and brightest Android phone available on the carrier easily!

Everyone's overreacting about the x phone, it's just a better looking version of the new droids.

And I hope this brings everyone's expectations of the nexus 5 down.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So glad I picked up that extra Nexus 4 on GAF.

Hey, does anyone have a Nexus 7 installed in their car? I have a Pioneer Avid D3 in mine but it's old. A cheap N7 would be cool. Google Music, Maps, and all that.

Matugi

No real need to root on the current Nexus 7. It's basically ready to go as is.

Even if I want to do things such as hook up a PS3 controller and other stuff? I've never rooted a device before because they've all been pieces of crap so this is my first experience with this kind of stuff.

Groof

Aside from the fucked pricing, the hyping and failing to live up to them, the single market release and single carrier customisations... it looks like a good mid-range device. The voice stuff is pretty cool, I guess.

Does anyone else think that Google Voice is long overdue for an overhaul?

The app looks ugly and antiquated, and it always seems painfully slow to sync.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does anyone else think that Google Voice is long overdue for an overhaul?

The app looks ugly and antiquated, and it always seems painfully slow to sync.

My most anticipated update is Hangouts to include Voice.

Aside from the fucked pricing, the hyping and failing to live up to them, the single market release and single carrier customisations... it looks like a good mid-range device. The voice stuff is pretty cool, I guess.

That's a long, long list of not-so-small caveats.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So I managed to get S-OFF (Using Moonshine) on my HTC EVO 4G LTE, so now it's time to find a new ROM. Any suggestions? I'm really not feeling Sense anymore, so I might go with an AOSP ROM. Is CM still the best way to go or are there alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom