• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Fire Emblem just makes me wish Android had a solid slate of SRPGs at least like iOS.
app situation has improved on android so much but there's still a notable difference in quality apps between the two. Luckily I use both OS's so I don't care :p But yeah maybe one day. Would be nice.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
app situation has improved on android so much but there's still a notable difference in quality apps between the two. Luckily I use both OS's so I don't care :p But yeah maybe one day. Would be nice.

Honestly it is fine except for games. That's where there still seems to be the big gulf.

Quasar

For me the biggest gap is with games. One of the major reasons I cant see me swapping an ipad for a android tablet anytime soon.

That and theres a bunch of apps I use alot, like goodreader, that just arent there on android.

bob page

Honestly it is fine except for games. That's where there still seems to be the big gulf.

Yep- games are the only thing lacking at this point. Which is why I have an iPad mini still.

I actually prefer many Android apps to their iOS counterparts nowadays, mainly because I really dig the Holo style.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Android has Wind-Up Knight and Rise of the Blobs, that's all I need.
p0QHO.gif

Also all the Humble Bundles are pretty much Android-only...

vdlow

Most of the apps that I use are only available on Android, so I can't complain about that. But damn, how I would love to see XCOM on Android. If the next one released on android, I would easily ditch the PS3 version for that.

reKon

Banned
Games like Bastion would be cool on tablet as there's one for the iPad... I guess. But still I don't really care much because why the fuck would I play that on there when the PC is the superior version? World of Goo I can understand, because that game is perfect for touch controls.

I see more value in being able to use almost any bluetooth controller I want to play my old n64 games in split screen.

Quasar

Games like Bastion would be cool on tablet as there's one for the iPad... I guess. But still I don't really care much because why the fuck would I play that on there when the PC is the superior version? World of Goo I can understand, because that game is perfect for touch controls.

Well I almost purely use my iPad in terms of games for digital board and card games and stuff like that. Stuff that's perfect for touch only and in fact I prefer those there than on my PC.

And support for that stuff on android is terrible at best.

malfcn

So my fiancee and I have the same Optimus G Pro. Running similar stuff, but the RAM usage is way different. I will have 666MB free and she will have closer to 1GB free. The numbers are fluxing but she always has more. Is this anything to be concerned about?

reKon

Banned
Well I almost purely use my iPad in terms of games for digital board and card games and stuff like that. Stuff that's perfect for touch only and in fact I prefer those there than on my PC.

And support for that stuff on android is terrible at best.

Yeah, I haven't thought much about those, but for it's dimensions and screen, the iPad would be perfect for those types of games.

So I'll try this one more time.

I just put Cyanogen mod 10.1 on my Nook HD+.

Is there an easy way to make it see my external card as internal storage?

Every time I download something, it tells me that it's emulated and that I need a partition.

I don't want to screw up the device, however.

i haven't looked at the Nook specifically, but in general, if you're mounting off the SD instead of flashing the hardware itself, you usually need to partition the SD card so one partition can be the bootable OS and the other can be mounted as a virtual SD card.

Ok so new problem in my quest for updating.

I click update. It sends me to Team Win Recovery Project.
I go to install > cache > ebc8 blah blah .zip > swipe to confirm flash...

Error.

Failed.

Any ideas?
have you checked the MD5 of the zip to confirm that it is correctly and fully downloaded?

So my fiancee and I have the same Optimus G Pro. Running similar stuff, but the RAM usage is way different. I will have 666MB free and she will have closer to 1GB free. The numbers are fluxing but she always has more. Is this anything to be concerned about?
don't worry about RAM usage.

gcubed

I think I'm extra angry at the moto x because I hate my gnex so much. I am really happy to see the speed of the updates for the Google experience devices though... Must hold off for nexus...

Husker86

I think I'm going to do verizon edge just to upgrade, I know it's a huge rip off but I'm already on contract for 16 more months.

Do the math a couple more times...seriously. Why not just buy a phone on eBay?

Well, I guess if you're planning on paying off the phone and not upgrading again it might not be any worse than paying full price for a phone up front. Just don't trade it back into them later and it's not any more terrible of a deal.

I think I'm extra angry at the moto x because I hate my gnex so much. I am really happy to see the speed of the updates for the Google experience devices though... Must hold off for nexus...
at this point you might as well wait for the nexus 5. We're already in August as depressing as that is, damn time flies.

The cycle never endssssss. I really hope google takes the IDEAS from the Optimus G2 but not the phone itself because it's just too much. I want something small, similar in size to the moto X. Maybe even smaller. And I want it to be as bezeless as the new G2. Also a good battery and I don't see how I don't end up buying one.

tino

Banned

If you buy into the stuff google preach there is nothing wrong with the Moto X.

Groof

The cycle never endssssss. I really hope google takes the IDEAS from the Optimus G2 but not the phone itself because it's just too much. I want something small, similar in size to the moto X. Maybe even smaller. And I want it to be as bezeless as the new G2. Also a good battery and I don't see how I don't end up buying one.

Same size body as the N4 but with 5" screen. Gotta make up for the software buttons.

Talon

Give up the dream, Pyro. The non-huge Android flagship doesn't exist.

reKon

Banned
If the next Nexus has the following, I will probably be very tempted to sell my HTC One and buy it:

- GOOD CAMERA (no bullshit this time. I want it at least close to S4 level, with at least 8 mp}

- Smaller, size wise than HTC One and S4. Moto X size, but thinner would be perfect. Also, I wouldn't mind a 5 inch screen, but it needs still as compact as possible.

- At least a 2800 mah battery, especially because of the S800. Knowing LG, they will surely mess this one up, lol.

- Have a design as good as Nexus 4. I want to pretty much see refinement here. I want a little bit thinner phone that's more comfortable to hold and that doesn't have a glass backing. The HTC One has been great and the best looking phone I've ever seen so I need this phone to be one of the best looking. I consider the Nexus 4 to be one of the best looking phones out there.

Realistically, I expect LG to achieve only 1 out of 4 of these

Give up the dream, Pyro. The non-huge Android flagship doesn't exist.
it's funny because google themselves are talking up smaller devices/bigger batteries/better cameras yet they won't just damn put it all in one device.

I will never stop dreaming.

Same size body as the N4 but with 5" screen. Gotta make up for the software buttons.
I wouldn't mind a 4.5 inch screen to keep the phone small, even with software buttons. But I'd do 4.7 with the same size bezel as the G2. That could also be quite small.

edit: I'm with you reKon on ALL of that. Is it so damn hard. Sometimes it's like these companies don't want to make the perfect phone :p

Soodanim

Android-GAF, is this the thread to ask about phone recommendations and lesser known Chinese phone manufacturers? I'm in the market and at my price range (£150-ish) everything either lacks RAM, internal storage or haa some other glaring flaw so I want to see what's available that isn't the usual Galaxy Ace (2) that's pushed in the shops.

Groof

Nah man current size is good, either 4.7" or 5" with a smaller sized body. Bigger battery is a must from here on out, the rest I find are good enough. Camera could use a little improvement though.

Nah man current size is good, either 4.7" or 5" with a smaller sized body. Bigger battery is a must from here on out, the rest I find are good enough. Camera could use a little improvement though.
thing is though I'm willing to get a slightly thicker phone if it means they can fit a bigger battery in a smaller overall frame. I like thin but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Not talking Lumia thick but I'm definitely willing to go a bit thicker. Xperia ZL style. ZL is actually a great size and they fit 5 inches on that. Do that same thing but at 4.7 and it would be fantastic.

Android-GAF, is this the thread to ask about phone recommendations and lesser known Chinese phone manufacturers? I'm in the market and at my price range (£150-ish) everything either lacks RAM, internal storage or haa some other glaring flaw so I want to see what's available that isn't the usual Galaxy Ace (2) that's pushed in the shops.
that's how it is with all cheap android devices isn't it, there's something that sucks about them.

Groof

thing is though I'm willing to get a slightly thicker phone if it means they can fit a bigger battery in a smaller overall frame. I like thin but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Not talking Lumia thick but I'm definitely willing to go a bit thicker. Xperia ZL style. ZL is actually a great size and they fit 5 inches on that. Do that same thing but at 4.7 and it would be fantastic.

Yeah no I'm not talking thickness, I'd say the current N4 is good on that front. By now we should be able to fit a bigger battery in this size, right?

Do the math a couple more times...seriously. Why not just buy a phone on eBay?

Well, I guess if you're planning on paying off the phone and not upgrading again it might not be any worse than paying full price for a phone up front. Just don't trade it back into them later and it's not any more terrible of a deal.

That's my plan

Yeah no I'm not talking thickness, I'd say the current N4 is good on that front. By now we should be able to fit a bigger battery in this size, right?
look at the razr which had 2500mah I believe. It wasn't even THAT thick. Razr Maxx was notably thicker but hell I won't even lie I'd go that thick if it meant I'd get 3000mah+.

But yeah there's no excuses anymore. They gotta stop skimping on battery. Especially if they're gonna insist on these big hd screens and always on background features.

Groof

OEMs scared as shit because vocal minority clamors for higher spec numbers, even though the SoCs we got today are more than capable.
From now on batteries need to be a minimum of 2500MAh

Android-GAF,at is this the thread to ask about phone recommendations and lesser known Chinese phone manufacturers? I'm in the market and at my price range (£150-ish) everything either lacks RAM, internal storage or haa some other glaring flaw so I want to see what's available that isn't the usual Galaxy Ace (2) that's pushed in the shops.

If I had £150 to spend on a phone, I'd get a Motorola RAZR i. I'm pretty sure Three have it for that price on payg.

Otherwise..... LG Optimus L9 (unlocked) is on ecell ebay store for £180.

Cipherr

OEMs scared as shit because vocal minority clamors for higher spec numbers, even though the SoCs we got today are more than capable.
From now on batteries need to be a minimum of 2500MAh

2500 mAh now. Man its funny how quickly the 'baseline' of what we want from the battery rises. 2100 mAh was the shit a little over a year ago.

It will be interesting though, because I expect noone except maybe Samsung to increase the display sizes in next years flagships. Nor the resolutions past 1080p. So there's just likely going to be better color accuracy, whites and whatnot. Its a real opportunity to increase the battery capacity and overall battery life of phones next year.

We shall see.

Groof

2500 mAh now. Man its funny how quickly the 'baseline' of what we want from the battery rises. 2100 mAh was the shit a little over a year ago.

It will be interesting though, because I expect noone except maybe Samsung to increase the display sizes in next years flagships. Nor the resolutions past 1080p. So there's just likely going to be better color accuracy, whites and whatnot. Its a real opportunity to increase the battery capacity and overall battery life of phones next year.

We shall see.

This technology moves fast yo, I remember when everyone was super hyped for the Galaxy S2 as if it was the second coming of christ and now it's a piece of shit.
A good start for battery life would be to stop cramming them shitfilled with always on stuff and bloat.

Ephemeris

The S3 is the first android phone where I'm not looking at it a year later wishing I had the successor. Not knocking the S4, but I find the S3 holds up well (maybe it's that 2GB).

Swapping in a bigger battery definitely helped.

tino

Banned
I wouldn't mind a 4.5 inch screen to keep the phone small, even with software buttons. But I'd do 4.7 with the same size bezel as the G2. That could also be quite small.

edit: I'm with you reKon on ALL of that. Is it so damn hard. Sometimes it's like these companies don't want to make the perfect phone :p

Both Samsung HTC and Apple actually make the "perfect"phones according to their hardware philosophy. google has never bothered to make one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I feel your pain bro.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
htc-one-max.jpg

Word of the HTC One Max first surfaced in a leaked document from UK carrier O2, but now the phone seems to be making an appearance in the flesh. Taiwanese site ePrice has gotten its collective mitts on two photos of what's claimed to be the retooled flagship, which boasts a 5.9-inch 1080p display. Differences in the hardware don't exactly jump out at first blush, but the relative distance between the lower speaker grill and its buttons hint at a larger screen. While the One Mini's grate doesn't extend as far as the full-sized smartphone's, the grill on this jumbo device stretches past that of both handsets.Though this model also sports traditional China-specific tweaks such as dual SIM slots, the most notable changes include an upgrade to a 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800 processor and a 3,200mAh battery. ePrice says an official One Max appearance is rumored for next month at IFA, but we'll keep our eyes peeled for invitations to special unveiling events.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/04/htc-one-max-pictures-leak/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom