• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
samunpack.jpg

[The second installment of Samsung's 2013 "Unpacked" event series is scheduled for the first Wednesday in September, just before the annual IFA consumer electronics show kicks off in Berlin. As the sketched invite above confirms, the Galaxy Note III will undoubtedly be the star of this show, which is set to begin at 7PM local time (1PM ET) on September 4th. We'll of course be there to cover the festivities live from the German capital, and Samsung's promised to provide a YouTube livestream feed that you can follow along with as well./QUOTE]

mmmm

Husker86

My company actually points me to an app I can download for free. But fucking pin lock up the wazoo. I am not paid to pin unlock my phone 50 times everyday. I will use company time to check the emails. This is a bad design Android let exchange apps to that. I should be asked to enter pin lock when I open the ex app, not when I use my phone.
Well, that's exactly how Touchdown works. Only need to enter PIN to open app.

And it's not Android's fault. It's a standard business requirement.

My company actually points me to an app I can download for free. But fucking pin lock up the wazoo. I am not paid to pin unlock my phone 50 times everyday. I will use company time to check the emails. This is a bad design Android let exchange apps to that. I should be asked to enter pin lock when I open the ex app, not when I use my phone.
but exchange policy requires that the *device* be locked, not just the mail app.

Tablet Shipments Slow in the Second Quarter As Vendors Look To Capitalize on a Strong Second Half of 2013

Lacking a new product launch in March to help spur shipments, Apple's iPad saw a lower-than-predicted shipment total of 14.6 million units for the quarter, down from 19.5 million in 1Q13. In years past, Apple has launched a new tablet heading into the second quarter, which resulted in strong quarter-over-quarter growth. Now, Apple is expected to launch new tablet products in the second half of the year, a move that better positions it to compete during the holiday season. Meanwhile, the other two vendors in the top 3 also saw a decline in their unit shipments during the quarter. Second-place Samsung shipped 8.1 million units, down from 8.6 million in the first quarter of 2013, although up significantly from the 2.1 million units shipped in 2Q12. And third-place ASUS shipped a total of 2.0 million units in 2Q13, down from 2.6 million in 1Q13.

Not all vendors experienced a slowdown during the quarter. PC stalwarts Lenovo and Acer both re-entered the top five this quarter. Lenovo continued to make headway into the world of mobility and for the first time had shipments surpass the million unit mark in a quarter, shipping a total of 1.5 million devices. This was up 313.9% from a year ago and enough to capture 3.3% market share. Rounding out the top 5 was Acer, which shipped 1.4 million tablets in 2Q13 for 247.9% year-over-year growth and an increase of 35.4% over the first quarter of 2013.
Tablet shipments down from Q1, apparently a first, but up 60% YOY. doom and gloom.

Actually had a guy come in and ask for the Moto X yesterday. Never thought I would.

was he a nerd or a normal consumer?

tzare

so, is going to be a unlocked version of moto x? I may visit the us next week and maybe would buy it if available and not too expensive.

Samsung to offer BBM in Samsung App store for all GALAXY Smartphone devices

Samsung has announced today that BBM will soon be available via Google Play and the Samsung App store for customers across Africa. While we've yet to hear much about an official release date for BBM on Android or iOS anywhere else, we've seen it pop up in the beta and expect it to arrive soon if all goes as planned.
Samsung gonna have BBM on the Samsung app store! cue more articles on Samsung forking Android...

Oh boy, the battery news is very underwhelming. What is the point of this device?

the review was underwhelming. looks like something they threw up as fast as possible for hits.

so, is going to be a unlocked version of moto x? I may visit the us next week and maybe would buy it if available and not too expensive.

there will be two, a 'developer' version for Verizon and an unlocked GSM version.

tzare

Thanks, any news when will be available?
is there any decent physical store in ny where to buy unlocked devices?

Thanks, any news when will be available?
is there any decent physical store in ny where to buy unlocked devices?

Unlocked phones are a rarity in the US still, so there's no real store to visit.

Also, there's no release date for the unlocked Moto X. It's probably not coming until September.

I love the size. Come on googy. Same thing or smaller for nexus 5 please :(

Taylor Wimberly
Shared publicly - Aug 1, 2013

As the conductor of the Android hype train, I'd like to point out that my inside source who got 98% of the Moto X details correct also said there would be a Motorola Nexus phone later this year. Let the rumors and speculation begin... (Moto Nexus 4 and LG Nexus 5 and Samsung Nexus 10 for Android 5.0?)

I hope he's right. Nearly all his Moto X information was spot-on.

"Carriers have this for launch on July 29th!"

Things he got right and leaked first:

1. AT&T exclusivity deal, launching in August

2. Clear pixel camera with gesture controls (hand twisting)

3. Customizations, including the wood backing (everyone thought he was crazy for this one)

4. The zero-gap glass construction and how the screen is fused to it

5. Always-on listening

6. The 'X' phones being a brand of phones, not just a one-off​

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We're doing the multiple Nexus phone rumor thing again?

I just viewed the top posters for this thread. Wow.

We're doing the multiple Nexus phone rumor thing again?

I just viewed the top posters for this thread. Wow.

Hope springs eternal.

I personally think it will just be LG again. If there are two phones, the internals will need to be the same (Snapdragon 800) in order to maintain the Nexus program's vision that the new version of Android is built with one processor/hardware in mind.

And so, any differences between multiple Nexus phones would, theoretically, be largely cosmetic (screen size/design) with some minor differences in non-core internals (maybe resolution, storage size, battery).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yes? Research/development isn't free.

Higher better industrial designers? I know some that would gladly take a crack at it (for the right price). Not like the big bezels being stupid is exactly rocket science anyways. Though I have an aerospace friend that would probably love to do the design. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom