• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

So should the Moto X actually feel underspecced compared to the GS4 and HTC One? On paper, it's basically the same as last year's models but with a better GPU and more RAM. I don't think 720P vs 1080P resolution would make any difference to me coming from a GS2 and all the other specs look on par.

So should the Moto X actually feel underspecced compared to the GS4 and HTC One? On paper, it's basically the same as last year's models but with a better GPU and more RAM. I don't think 720P vs 1080P resolution would make any difference to me coming from a GS2 and all the other specs look on par.

It's got worse specs and a worse screen and a similar camera when compared to a much cheaper Nexus 4. When compared to the cheaper Xperia SP it has a worse camera and a smaller battery and worse build quality.

But hey, it's "made" in America so if you want to be nationalistic and all that buy it...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I do have to say though, I've wanted that "always listening" thing for a loooong time now. Reaching for my phone and setting commands when I'm half asleep is just no fun. I hope the next Nexus has that feature, somehow...

Groof

It's got worse specs and a worse screen and a similar camera when compared to a much cheaper Nexus 4. When compared to the cheaper Xperia SP it has a worse camera and a smaller battery and worse build quality.

But hey, it's "made" in America so if you want to be nationalistic and all that buy it...

Don't forget it's US excluse atm

Android-GAF, is this the thread to ask about phone recommendations and lesser known Chinese phone manufacturers? I'm in the market and at my price range (£150-ish) everything either lacks RAM, internal storage or haa some other glaring flaw so I want to see what's available that isn't the usual Galaxy Ace (2) that's pushed in the shops.

9 women can't make a baby in a month.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know it isn't a device for us, but I finally got to see Kindle's Freetime stuff which is really good. Parental controls are great, easy to use, and very granular. Plus if you pay the monthly fee all of the content is perfect for kids.

Light years ahead of anything I've seen on regular Android or iOS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android-GAF, is this the thread to ask about phone recommendations and lesser known Chinese phone manufacturers? I'm in the market and at my price range (£150-ish) everything either lacks RAM, internal storage or haa some other glaring flaw so I want to see what's available that isn't the usual Galaxy Ace (2) that's pushed in the shops.

Idk if they sell them where you live, but I'd highly recommend checking out Blu Phones. Great budget friendly phones IMO.

http://bluproducts.com

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm mostly excited about the possibly too good to be true battery life claims. If I had to choose right now between the Moto X or Nexus 4, and knew that the X had twice the battery life then it's a no-brainer as long as it can actually keep up with the apps and OS updates that come over the next couple years.

tino

Banned
Biggest issue with screen protectors is I can't ever get them on right. I always fuck it up somehow.

Its easy, watch some youtube. You have to use your credit card really hard to get rip of the air bubbles. Also, if the initial 20% of the apply doesn't look fit right you can go back.

Groof

They don't leave residue or cause damage? I know it's glass, but now I am paranoid about my new shiny device.

Only if you buy some really cheap no-brand stuff. Otherwise you should be fine. I've put on and off about 3 different screen protectors on my N4 and it was fine.

2500 mAh now. Man its funny how quickly the 'baseline' of what we want from the battery rises. 2100 mAh was the shit a little over a year ago.

It will be interesting though, because I expect noone except maybe Samsung to increase the display sizes in next years flagships. Nor the resolutions past 1080p. So there's just likely going to be better color accuracy, whites and whatnot. Its a real opportunity to increase the battery capacity and overall battery life of phones next year.

We shall see.
yeah, battery is crazy. i remember my flagship Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G had a 1500mAH battery and my Samsung Galaxy Note II has a 3100mAh battery, over double that!

Quasar

Well the folks I know using the motox feel it's fast, faster in the hand in some opinions than phones like the HTC one.

Folks saying they will use this instead of the s4/one if the battery is good.

But yeah... I don't feel that having a 720p display on a phone screen is bad, esp if battery life is better.

VPhys

What is the best game controller for android.

I just found out I can play games (including SNES!) with a wireless bluetooth controller. Mind blown. I guess I just never looked into this for my ipad because I figured apple would lock it down. I also really wanted a first part solution.

Now that I have a nexus 7 I feel like an entire new world and use model has been opened up. The Moga Pro on Amazon seems to be a popular option but is quite expensive. Are there any other recommendations?

VoxPop

So I'm thinking of installing a custom rom that's better on the battery for my girl's Galaxy Note 2. Anyone know of a good rom that would make the battery on the Note 2 better but keep everything the same including Touchwiz?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
#TeamNaked

Submarino Conversível;74761367 said:
Only one I ever bought was for the back of my Nexus 4

KuGsj.gif

tino

Banned
screen protector is for resell vale, its not for protecting the screen. Plus they are usually 1 dollar a piece.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I had a screen protector before and had to remove it. Been naked ever since and it's been about five months now. Not a single scratch.

I had a screen protector before and had to remove it. Been naked ever since and it's been about five months now. Not a single scratch.

And I've seen more scratched screens from so called "careful" people then I've had hot dinners.

Telling someone a screen protector is unnecessary is basically telling them they won't ever scratch their screen so there's no point. Glass is glass. If it touches anything harder than it, it will scratch.

It's like telling people cases are useless "as long as you don't drop it". I mean, come on lol

Laekon

Is there any way to improve how Exchange email accounts work with Android? I have a stock Galaxy Nexus and my work email account never seems to sync correctly. The issue is my phone show emails as unread that I've already filed on my work PC? My company is on Office 2007.

tino

Banned
Is there any way to improve how Exchange email accounts work with Android? I have a stock Galaxy Nexus and my work email account never seems to sync correctly. The issue is my phone show emails as unread that I've already filed on my work PC? My company is on Office 2007.

All the exchange apps I tried want 10 bux for the full app. Plus mandatory pin lock of the lock screen. I can not use pattern lock anymore. So I said fuck it and only read email at work pc.

Talon

I guess to be fair the one phone I have used that picked up a scratch going naked was the Note II with a nice gash across the screen.

These screens will pick up a scratch from sand, true, but I haven't had an issue for five years running and sell the devices on eBay as Mint condition. The Note II went to mom.

If you're going to be hard on your phone (like the GF), use a protector. Sure, go for it. At the end of the day, it's a thin layer of plastic tape, so it can only do so much.

What is the best game controller for android.

I just found out I can play games (including SNES!) with a wireless bluetooth controller. Mind blown. I guess I just never looked into this for my ipad because I figured apple would lock it down. I also really wanted a first part solution.

Now that I have a nexus 7 I feel like an entire new world and use model has been opened up. The Moga Pro on Amazon seems to be a popular option but is quite expensive. Are there any other recommendations?

Dualshock 3!

thespot84

All the exchange apps I tried want 10 bux for the full app. Plus mandatory pin lock of the lock screen. I can not use pattern lock anymore. So I said fuck it and only read email at work pc.

touchdown requires pin lock? I don't remember that being the case, but i haven't used it for a while. Exchange admins have control over what security you must use on phones logged into their servers, so that could be a company by company setting.

Anyways, last time i used exchange touchdown was far and away the best, and was quite honestly worth the money. You might even get your company to pay for it (they paid a lot more for outlook, just talk about how much it'll improve your productivity)

Atruvius

Hey, I'm looking to buy my first smart phone in the coming months. I've been thinking of buying either Sony Xperia SP or V. They are the same price here(375€), so which one should I get and why? I won't be upgrading the phone yearly, I have used my current phone for like 5 years.

catmincer

Hey, I'm looking to buy my first smart phone in the coming months. I've been thinking of buying either Sony Xperia SP or V. They are the same price here(375€), so which one should I get and why? I won't be upgrading the phone yearly, I have used my current phone for like 5 years.

SP definitely. Unless you really need the waterproofing.

Definitely get the SP, will get a longer support cycle and it has a better GPU. The only downside is that it has an integrated battery and isn't waterproof. If those two are important to you then look at the ZR ahead of the V (the V's replacement).

etrain911

Announcement at IFA in september

Any other rumored announcements? So far we know of the Note 3, the Samsung Smart Watch, and the HTC One Max. I'm holding out for the S4 International Snapdragon 800 variant that's been rumored. If it doesn't exist, that HTC One Max is so mine.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention Sony's Honami.

tino

Banned
touchdown requires pin lock? I don't remember that being the case, but i haven't used it for a while. Exchange admins have control over what security you must use on phones logged into their servers, so that could be a company by company setting.

Anyways, last time i used exchange touchdown was far and away the best, and was quite honestly worth the money. You might even get your company to pay for it (they paid a lot more for outlook, just talk about how much it'll improve your productivity)

My company actually points me to an app I can download for free. But fucking pin lock up the wazoo. I am not paid to pin unlock my phone 50 times everyday. I will use company time to check the emails. This is a bad design Android let exchange apps to that. I should be asked to enter pin lock when I open the ex app, not when I use my phone.

tino

Banned
Any other rumored announcements? So far we know of the Note 3, the Samsung Smart Watch, and the HTC One Max. I'm holding out for the S4 International Snapdragon 800 variant that's been rumored. If it doesn't exist, that HTC One Max is so mine.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention Sony's Honami.

One Max will fail again just like the Jetstream. HTC doesn't understand you need unique hardware feature to sell phones.

Atruvius

Thank guys, I'll most likely get the SP. ZR is kind of out of my price range, it costs 150€ more than SP and I don't really feel like paying that kind of money for a phone, though if it drops to <500€ before end of the month I might consider buying it. ZR is more futureproof than SP as it has 2GB RAM and a quadcore CPU, right?

Thank guys, I'll most likely get the SP. ZR is kind of out of my price range, it costs 150€ more than SP and I don't really feel like paying that kind of money for a phone, though if it drops to <500€ before end of the month I might consider buying it. ZR is more futureproof than SP as it has 2GB RAM and a quadcore CPU, right?

Yes. Plus it's on the same hardware platform as the Nexus 4 which means it will be guaranteed software support for a longer period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom