• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, so I am in the market for a phone for my wife. Verizon only. And I guess I am conflicted between something like the new Droid Ultra and getting her a Moto X she can customize...

They seem near identical, save for the Ultra's larger screen and off screen buttons, which seems like it will make a significant difference in usable screen real estate. Will the X's other features trickle to the Ultra, like the safe zones and the NFC password stuff?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hmm, so I am in the market for a phone for my wife. Verizon only. And I guess I am conflicted between something like the new Droid Ultra and getting her a Moto X she can customize...

They seem near identical, save for the Ultra's larger screen and off screen buttons, which seems like it will make a significant difference in usable screen real estate. Will the X's other features trickle to the Ultra, like the safe zones and the NFC password stuff?

Get her the X. The build quality and style just seems much better than your typical Droid lineup. Plus the specs will be perfectly fine for her.

That being said the HTC One is coming in a week or so to Verizon in the new blue color. So I'd definitely take a look at that.

Its like Citibank require the device to enable pin lock after you install a Citibank app. Exchange can suck my ass.

but the app doesn't require a pin lock. remove your work email and set up a hotmail/outlook email with exchange and there's no pin lock requirement. it's your work email server policy that's being enforced.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm really digging the Moto X. I want a berry/white one myself.

In terms of industrial design it appears to be the best Android phone we've gotten in the US not named HTC (or Sony stuff if we actually get the phones here). It's everything else surrounding the phone that is fucking it over.

tino

Banned
but the app doesn't require a pin lock. remove your work email and set up a hotmail/outlook email with exchange and there's no pin lock requirement. it's your work email server policy that's being enforced.

Its a badly designed security policy, that Android give an app the power to set the password policy. I bet Samsung's new work/personal dual id implementation will fix this issue.

kehs

Banned
Its a badly designed security policy, that Android give an app the power to set the password policy. I bet Samsung's new work/personal dual id implementation will fix this issue.

It's not the app, it's the account having that power. Just like your main google account has the power to set a password.

tino

Banned
That sounds about right: solid battery, but nothing special, and mediocre camera, possibly due to the software.

Customization being locked to AT&T is still the worst thing about this launch. What a waste.

I am pretty sure the camera is bad because its cheaper and has a smaller sensor than the other flagships.

So I picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 the other day.

Pretty happy with it other than two key areas

1) The proprietary charging connector is on the BOTTOM of the unit when in landscape so I can't charge it and prop it up in the case I bought. That wouldn't be a HUGE issue if not for...

2) All of the control buttons (power/volume/headphone) are on the opposite side of the power connector meaning I can rotate the screen 180 degrees in the case.

Guess I need a new case after all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Engadget review:

It's sad, but I am that person at dinner or drinks who's always staring at his phone. And that sort of behavior nets you a 28 percent charge on the Moto X after one day, two hours, 12 minutes and three seconds without battery saver enabled. That result bests even Motorola's own conservative claim of 24-hour battery life. Under the strain of Engadget's formal battery rundown protocol, in which an HD video plays on a loop, the Moto X's 2,200mAh cell lasted 11 hours and 15 minutes. Clap your hands, people. This is the battery life you didn't know you were missing.

Sounds awesome. This, however, doesn't:

The volume rocker and power button, both slivers of painted plastic on the device's right edge, are loosely secured and flimsy. They actually make a slight noise when you jiggle them in their sockets. I don't know about you, but when I plunk down $199 and sign away two years of my life to a carrier, I want to know that the two buttons used most on a phone will be sturdy and everlasting. Which doesn't appear to be the case here.

They seriously dropped the ball on pricing and customization on this thing.

I wanted to give you my money Motorola

I WANTED TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really love the Active Display idea. Hoping the next Nexus has it as well as all Moto phones going forward. It's a clear differentiator, and also makes them acutely aware of battery concerns.

I really love the Active Display idea. Hoping the next Nexus has it as well as all Moto phones going forward. It's a clear differentiator, and also makes them acutely aware of battery concerns.

It's excellent, but it only works AMOLED screens.

And, a lot of people really, really hate AMOLED screens.

VPhys

HTC One

mercviper

So I'm looking to get a new android phone and was wondering if there's some good suggestions on what to consider. I'm basically looking for something that's slim, sleek, lightweight, with easy to upgrade software, and something near a 4 inch screen size.

For a little more detail, my current phone is a Samsung Infuse 4g. What I enjoy most about this phone is the slimness and lightweight feel that it has. However, the stock software it came with felt unresponsive and caused my phone to crash what felt like every 15 minutes of actual use.
I feel I got really unlucky here. Is this a common occurance?

After a couple months I got fed up and spent a night rooting and putting in an unofficial Cyanogenmod which fixed the majority of crash issues and upgraded me to 2.3.7 which I think is Gingerbread. What I remember most about that night is how much of a bother it was to reboot the device multiple times. It's not something I want to do again if I can avoid it, so I miss out on a fair amount of apps because my OS is behind in versions.

My previous smartphones were the iPhone 3G and 4GS, which I sometimes wish I still had since I enjoy that look and feel.

thespot84

So I'm looking to get a new android phone and was wondering if there's some good suggestions on what to consider. I'm basically looking for something that's slim, sleek, lightweight, with easy to upgrade software, and something near a 4 inch screen size.

For a little more detail, my current phone is a Samsung Infuse 4g. What I enjoy most about this phone is the slimness and lightweight feel that it has. However, the stock software it came with felt unresponsive and caused my phone to crash what felt like every 15 minutes of actual use.
I feel I got really unlucky here. Is this a common occurance?

After a couple months I got fed up and spent a night rooting and putting in an unofficial Cyanogenmod which fixed the majority of crash issues and upgraded me to 2.3.7 which I think is Gingerbread. What I remember most about that night is how much of a bother it was to reboot the device multiple times. It's not something I want to do again if I can avoid it, so I miss out on a fair amount of apps because my OS is behind in versions.

My previous smartphones were the iPhone 3G and 4GS, which I sometimes wish I still had since I enjoy that look and feel.

what's "easy to upgrade software"? Fast updates?

mercviper

what's "easy to upgrade software"? Fast updates?

Or well, updates at all. Currently if I want to update my infuse 4g I have to do it all manually. If I get it within 4 months (is that considered fast?) I'd probably not mind.

Edit: Basically I don't want to hunt down files on the internet and upload them to my phone and any additional steps beyond that.

thespot84

So as far as the nerds of the phone world are concerned (us all among them, let's call ourselves the 1%, since that's what we are), the gripe about the moto x is boiled down to the fact that the innards of the phone are not as good as competitors phones for the same price. Right? Are there other gripes with it?

gcubed

So as far as the nerds of the phone world are concerned (us all among them, let's call ourselves the 1%, since that's what we are), the gripe about the moto x is boiled down to the fact that the innards of the phone are not as good as competitors phones for the same price. Right? Are there other gripes with it?

I don't have any. Just the price

thespot84

I don't have any. Just the price

So if the user experience ends up being better than other phones at the same price, despite 'lacking' hardware, wouldn't that be a good thing? If that's the case, is the price actually out of line, or did it simply not live up to our very hyped expectations (my expectations included)?

So if the user experience ends up being better than other phones at the same price, despite 'lacking' hardware, wouldn't that be a good thing? If that's the case, is the price actually out of line, or did it simply not live up to our very hyped expectations (my expectations included)?

Lack of storage space. only the att model has 32gb option.

this_guy

I was also hoping for a better screen and camera. Sure you don't NEED a 1080 screen, but it sure is nice to have when you're paying the same price. The camera also seems wonky in The Verge's review, sometimes it takes great shots and others it doesn't.

The specs themselves are fine, especially since all reviews suggest the phone runs well enough. The issue is that the price is very much out of line with said specs. It's a mid-range phone with a high-end price.

Also, customization, the #1 key feature of the phone, being locked to AT&T makes this whole thing a non-starter for me.

Or well, updates at all. Currently if I want to update my infuse 4g I have to do it all manually. If I get it within 4 months (is that considered fast?) I'd probably not mind.

Edit: Basically I don't want to hunt down files on the internet and upload them to my phone and any additional steps beyond that.

I'd recommend getting a Nexus straight from Google. No issue of waiting for OS updates.

mercviper

I'd recommend getting a Nexus straight from Google. No issue of waiting for OS updates.

I was thinking about that since I know the Google phones get immediate OS updates, but all I hear from my friends is talk about HTC One this or Galaxy Note that. Is the Nexus really behind in tech specs or something?

Anyway, looking it up using the store locator it's showing a bunch of T-Mobile stores near me. If my current provider is AT&T, will there be anything else that needs to be done besides transferring SIM cards?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wouldn't be surprised if the N4 dropped in price soon. It's been out for 10 months.

Well if the 5 keeps the same price scheme then it would make no sense for the 4 to be the same price if it stays available at all. I think they'll just scrap it though.

what exactly is a better user experience? having worse battery life? taking worse pictures? looking at a worse screen? or paying double the price of a Nexus 4? the GS3 is $350-400 on prepaid.

I wouldn't be surprised if the N4 dropped in price soon. It's been out for 10 months.

Google doesn't really do that. they just make the old model disappear and the new one takes its place and price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom