• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This part of the verge review for the moto x really bugged me:

I don’t understand the Moto X camera. It’s great, but it’s also terrible. The 10-megapixel rear camera is capable of snapping gorgeous pictures with fantastic bokeh. Thanks to a "clear pixel" that Motorola says lets in 75 percent more light, it’s good in dark situations too. Very good. Yet somehow the Moto X’s post-processing is so aggressive and so ubiquitous that it ruins as many shots as it saves. There’s terrible artifacting and noise even in well-lit photos — like you cranked the JPEG settings way down. I’ll take a noisy photo over a blurry photo any day, which is basically the same decision Motorola made here, but sometimes the phone goes overboard trying to improve your photos. Way overboard.

Jesus christ google how long is this going to be a problem? They keep saying one of their goals is to improve camera software but I swear it has been kinda shitty for years now. Is any other major company that bad at it?

ISOM

what exactly is a better user experience? having worse battery life? taking worse pictures? looking at a worse screen? or paying double the price of a Nexus 4? the GS3 is $350-400 on prepaid.

Google doesn't really do that. they just make the old model disappear and the new one takes its place and price.

Having worst battery life? Compared to whom?

Jesus christ google how long is this going to be a problem? They keep saying one of their goals is to improve camera software but I swear it has been kinda shitty for years now. Is any other major company that bad at it?

HTC's camera software for the One was bad at launch, then they patched it to make photos less ugly.

Nokia's camera software had problems with colors at launch, then they patched it to improve color balance.

tino

Banned

I am reading the spec of the Moto X camera. The sensor is actually pretty big. It's 1.4 micron per pixel, same as iPhone and bigger than S4's 1.1 micron. However its new RGBC pattern instead of the traditional RGBR pattern. In thoery it should have better low light performance but image processing unit is also from Omnivision. I think its the case of neither Omnivision nor Google have good image engineer.

HTC's camera software for the One was bad at launch, then they patched it to make photos less ugly.

Nokia's camera software had problems with colors at launch, then they patched it to improve color balance.
problem is google hasn't done much better for years now, it's always one of their major flaws with every nexus phone and same with every motorola phone. It's getting old. Time to have a meeting and be like "uhhh how about we solve this once and for all".

I think y'all are wrong about the X. It's a good phone regardless of specs. If LG puts out what will now be the phone with the best specs out but it runs like an OG droid would it still be worth 199 on contract? Spec wars are over boys.
still getting my verizon htc one

thespot84

what exactly is a better user experience? having worse battery life? taking worse pictures? looking at a worse screen? or paying double the price of a Nexus 4? the GS3 is $350-400 on prepaid.

<rant>
I guess I'm just talking about the general marketability of the phone and what's really been produced by motorola, and the rest of you are talking about how the phone meets (or doesn't meet) your (very) specific needs (almost all of which has to do with hardware). The two generally produce different value judgements.

I'm still of the mind that the moto x will outperform the competition as it relates to 99% of purchasers who don't care about fast chips and pixel density (we're already talking retina-level ppi on the x here, come on...) and do care about a good user experience which means awesome features out of the box (active display, always listening, car mode, great industrial design).

This wasn't the jesus phone we were waiting for, and it's not paradigm shifting as we'd all hoped, but this focus on hardware, when hardware is simply a vehicle to run the software we actually USE seems a bit myopic to me, personally.

Here's what a person who's job it is to actually sell a phone like this might actually think about each of the hardware components:

Camera - 99% of people expect camera performance on phones to be shit. Unless we're putting a leica lens and a 42mp sensor in this thing we just have to be within 5% of the performance of the competition to deal with customer expectations.

Processor - As it relates to speed, people who take this into consideration make their buying decision by going to the store and messing around with the display units. We have to be within 5% of the competition so as to not seem 'slower', eliminating the selling point of 'faster' for the competition.

Processor - As it relates to battery life, people will read reviews online about battery life (so moto x build 8 different procs to handle low power activities better) and they'll look at the battery life rating as promised by us, the manufacturer. We need to be as good as the competition.

Screen - We've achieved PPIs beyond which the human eye can't really discern pixelation without holding the thing 3 inches from your nose. The gold standard for the 99% was set by the iphone's retina display, and we just have to be as good so that the display unit looks good next to the other display units at the store.

Software - now that I've made this phone a competitor on the shelf when it comes to hardware by being good enough, I'm going to differentiate myself with software. This allows me to a) innovate and b) not get caught up in the spec wars that everyone else is caught up in. I'm now going to spend $500 million to convince the 99% that beyond being comparable in meeting their hardware needs for a phone we have awesome features that no one else has.

The only thing this marketing guy has done wrong so far is poorly managing expectations prior to launch. the 1% worked themselves into a frenzy about the moto x having better specs and jesus-resurrecting features for half the price, on top of being made in America. We were completely delusional! That's all. I've just come to terms with the fact that I expect shit pictures on a phone camera, good enough display tech, long enough battery life, and a phone that won't lag, and now the moto x looks better than ever. It's a shame it's not cheaper, however I feel a little better forking over the extra cash for something made in my home country. Go America. And go Broncos.

</rant>

Ephemeris

I just need Google to bake in that active listening / touchless controls into the next Nexus.

So I could be all Nexus Everything.

bjscott05

What browser are you guys using these days? It seems like chrome has been having performance issues on my nexus 4 so I switched to boat browser, which seems OK. Going to try dolphin next, I think.

daoster

<rant>
I guess I'm just talking about the general marketability of the phone and what's really been produced by motorola, and the rest of you are talking about how the phone meets (or doesn't meet) your (very) specific needs (almost all of which has to do with hardware). The two generally produce different value judgements.

I'm still of the mind that the moto x will outperform the competition as it relates to 99% of purchasers who don't care about fast chips and pixel density (we're already talking retina-level ppi on the x here, come on...) and do care about a good user experience which means awesome features out of the box (active display, always listening, car mode, great industrial design).

This wasn't the jesus phone we were waiting for, and it's not paradigm shifting as we'd all hoped, but this focus on hardware, when hardware is simply a vehicle to run the software we actually USE seems a bit myopic to me, personally.

Here's what a person who's job it is to actually sell a phone like this might actually think about each of the hardware components:

Camera - 99% of people expect camera performance on phones to be shit. Unless we're putting a leica lens and a 42mp sensor in this thing we just have to be within 5% of the performance of the competition to deal with customer expectations.

Processor - As it relates to speed, people who take this into consideration make their buying decision by going to the store and messing around with the display units. We have to be within 5% of the competition so as to not seem 'slower', eliminating the selling point of 'faster' for the competition.

Processor - As it relates to battery life, people will read reviews online about battery life (so moto x build 8 different procs to handle low power activities better) and they'll look at the battery life rating as promised by us, the manufacturer. We need to be as good as the competition.

Screen - We've achieved PPIs beyond which the human eye can't really discern pixelation without holding the thing 3 inches from your nose. The gold standard for the 99% was set by the iphone's retina display, and we just have to be as good so that the display unit looks good next to the other display units at the store.

Software - now that I've made this phone a competitor on the shelf when it comes to hardware by being good enough, I'm going to differentiate myself with software. This allows me to a) innovate and b) not get caught up in the spec wars that everyone else is caught up in. I'm now going to spend $500 million to convince the 99% that beyond being comparable in meeting their hardware needs for a phone we have awesome features that no one else has.

The only thing this marketing guy has done wrong so far is poorly managing expectations prior to launch. the 1% worked themselves into a frenzy about the moto x having better specs and jesus-resurrecting features for half the price, on top of being made in America. We were completely delusional! That's all. I've just come to terms with the fact that I expect shit pictures on a phone camera, good enough display tech, long enough battery life, and a phone that won't lag, and now the moto x looks better than ever. It's a shame it's not cheaper, however I feel a little better forking over the extra cash for something made in my home country. Go America. And go Broncos.

</rant>

How will this best the marketing giant that is Samsung? The 99% might not care about specs and camera pixels, and all that shit, but for the vast majority of those 99%, the Galaxy brand rules the roost.

kehs

Banned
:(

And I was really ragging on the phone the entire lead up to the reveal, lmao.

The 8X stuff is proving to be an awesome thing. More than one person have finally said it lasts a day with 8-11 hours of screen time, and heavy usage. That's great. I just saw that the screen comes on automatically when taken out of your pocket. Awesomesauce.

The thing that might kill this phone is if....they put all these things on the droid version of their phones.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The 8X stuff is proving to be an awesome thing. More than one person have finally said it lasts a day with 8-11 hours of screen time, and heavy usage. That's great. I just saw that the screen comes on automatically when taken out of your pocket. Awesomesauce.

The thing that might kill this phone is if....they put all these things on the droid version of their phones.

Coppy's coming around to the Moto X too?
AMzq9lr.gif

Do the new Droids have OLEDs? Also, the Droids will never have Moto Maker, which will probably be the biggest thing to non-techies.

iavi

Everything about the MotoX sounds ace, tbh, aside from that insane price. I'm all for supporting American manufacturing, but not like that.

Looks like I'm getting the HTC ONE next week. The EVO was one of, if not the best built phone I've had yet, so I have no qualms with returning to the green side.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hey somebody has to take one for the team.

Remember to do it the properly and order the wood trim.

I want the wood (cough) but it depends on how long it takes, and also whether I decide the cyan backing is cooler looking...

kehs

Banned
Coppy's coming around to the Moto X too?
AMzq9lr.gif

Do the new Droids have OLEDs? Also, the Droids will never have Moto Maker, which will probably be the biggest thing to non-techies.

I've been digging it since I read about thier hardware implementation. I was hoping for a 350-400 pricepoint, but alas. Biggest thing that bummed out was them having ATT have the motomaker, so very lame.

Seems like they do have oleds. The maxx is rated for 48 hours.....and that's probably usage and not standy....that's crazy.

http://www.pocketables.com/2013/07/live-verizons-motorola-droid-ultra-announcement.html

daoster

Brands rise and fall. RAZR was the biggest thing ever for several years.

Right, but unlike Motorola during those days, Samsung does not look to be slowing down anytime soon. iPhone is still THE phone to beat, and Samsung has built a powerful marketing campaign positioning itself as the "anti-iPhone." I don't think Moto X has done enough to make consumers a) not buy an iPhone b) not buy a Samsung Galaxy.

Just what I think.

gcubed

Having worst battery life? Compared to whom?

His dreams

I think y'all are wrong about the X. It's a good phone regardless of specs. If LG puts out what will now be the phone with the best specs out but it runs like an OG droid would it still be worth 199 on contract? Spec wars are over boys.
still getting my verizon htc one

Spec wars are over, which means process should come down for older hardware, not stay the same. It's over priced, plain and simple.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The X seems like an interesting enough phone that's killed by its price. Oh well. I'm glad Andrex plans on getting one. It would be nice to hear a day to day experience write up.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No one's really doing anything interesting enough in 2013 to make me want to move from my Note II.

Should they though? I mean the idea is Android is to a good enough place and phone hardware is solid where people shouldn't feel the need to upgrade at every corner. The Note II isn't even a year old yet.

The people looking for upgrades should be the OG Galaxy Nexus and the GSII.

If I use a Portable Hotspot feature in my Nexus 4, will I get charged extra from T-mobile?

I'm using the $30 Unlimited Data + 100 Min Talk

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Should they though? I mean the idea is Android is to a good enough place and phone hardware is solid where people shouldn't feel the need to upgrade at every corner. The Note II isn't even a year old yet.

GN 4G here. T_T

And 4Ss

thespot84

GN 4G here. T_T

same. I'm on CM 10.2 stable and it still runs like ass. I've convinced myself that all the new phones are superfast in comparison, ie I won't notice a difference between them, and the software features (and the wood) on the x are slowly drawing me in.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If I used Chrome continuously on 4G, I doubt mine would last an hour. I routinely have to turn off syncing and drop to lowest brightness past 3pm. Sucks.

MOTO SAVE ME

tzare

Unlocked phones are a rarity in the US still, so there's no real store to visit.

Also, there's no release date for the unlocked Moto X. It's probably not coming until September.

Well, i 'll just go to A&F for some t shirts then :p

Dude, it's going to be $625!

Wow, what are those Motorola&google guys thinking? that is insane. I'll stick to Nexus 4 or optimus g then. Still undecided which one will pick.

tino

Banned
If I use a Portable Hotspot feature in my Nexus 4, will I get charged extra from T-mobile?

I'm using the $30 Unlimited Data + 100 Min Talk
You won't. But TMo will direct you to a upgrade page if you use a PC or an iPad. You need to change the user agent on your browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom