• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Does anyone on here have a One from Google? I'm curious if it is actually good. I finally held a one at Costco the other day and I have to say, it felt better than my N4. :(

I don't think there are many phones that compare to either edition of the One in terms of feel-in-the-hands.

Fyi, Google edition and regular Nancy edition are physically the same.

And yes. It's amazing no matter which way you go.

so we're all just going to continue to ignore X8 and keep harping on how one of the 8 procs in the X is slower than the 1 proc on the other phones? Ok then.

two.

The X isn't low end. It isn't even mid range.

What the holy fuck is wrong with you all?

isn't mid-range?

Processors =/= cores. The Moto X has one processor, like every other phone, and whether you believe marketing speak or not, it may or may not have 8 cores.

it has four GPU cores, two CPU cores and two other things that aren't even on the SoC but Motorola is counting them anyway.

Ok. The screen is a high dpi 4.7" RGB OLED display.

The computational setup is NOT conventional at all; with the marriage between the krait 300 based cores and motos own dedicated cores for fixed tasks. This is an intelligent way of tackling the multitasking beast that is Android, and will allow for further elimination of IO chokes due to how certain schedulers handle data across four general purpose cores.

Not to mention, the GPU beats the s4 in most tests.

At worst, by the time it's out, it'll be on the upper mid range side of the tech scale. I bet however, performance will feel very much high end.

4.3 should only serve to further improve that.

but it's very conventional, it's just a newer revision Snapdragon S4 and two DSPs that are not on the SoC at all. i'm surprised they didn't count the camera DSP and say it's an X9! and the GPU is winning just like other GPUs on other WVGA/QHD/720p phones win vs a better GPU on a 1080p display. the offscreen results tell a different story.

gcubed

its a beautiful (IMO) phone with some great features. No need to gussy it up by using marketing speak... it's overpriced for what it is, but if you are going to just stay on contract, then it doesn't matter as much.

It got me excited... to wait for the next Nexus

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...amaged-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Active-units_id46097

You might recall that we have heard about a few Samsung Galaxy S4 Active units not holding up underwater like they are supposed to. The IP67 certification that the phone earned is supposed to allow the model to withstand being submerged in 3 feet of water for 30 minutes. Back in June we told you how USA Today tech reviewer Ed Baig was using a review model of the phone to take underwater pictures in his pool when the phone died after being held underwater within the depth and time limit specified by Samsung and AT&T. As we told you at the end of last month, the warranty for the phone does not include damage created by liquids. This could be due to Samsung and AT&T's worry that not everyone will remember to do the little things necessary to make sure that the waterproof seal around the phone is tight.

so yeah, there's that...

its a beautiful (IMO) phone with some great features. No need to gussy it up by using marketing speak... it's overpriced for what it is, but if you are going to just stay on contract, then it doesn't matter as much.

It got me excited... to wait for the next Nexus
that difference will matter a lot more in a year or two...

Forgive me for not keeping an eye on the American market. :p

it's not like you can buy the Moto X anywhere else...

mackattk

Yeah, as far as the underwater rating goes, IIRC, the rating is from standing water; e.g. no waves or motion. In something like a pool, where water constantly moves around, the rating drops drastically for depth and submersion time.

Maybe this is just for watches though.

I am honestly surprised at how poor the Activ's underwater abilities are. It is a far, far cry from Sony's offering, where it survived being cooked in hot soup and washing machine cycles.

3phemeral

Wasn't it stipulated that the Activ is only certified for components encased in the inner shell which does not include the battery bay? That in order for it to work, you'd need to remove the battery and dry it first before continuing operation?

Not excusing them of course, as it's really a dumb workaround in order to earn the certification.

this_guy

The X isn't low end. It isn't even mid range.

What the holy fuck is wrong with you all?

Let's compare the motorola X to this LG model you can get on Boost Mobile or US Cellular.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4059

Screen:
Motorola X: 4.7" 720p
LG F7: 4.7" 720p
They're pretty much equal

Processor:
Motorola X: Customized Dual Core Snapdragon with DSP (think Super FX chip!)
LG F7: Dual Core Snapdragon from last year
Motorola has the edge here, but I would say this LG is closer to the Motorola X than the Motorola X compared to the Galaxy S4 or HTC One.

Camera:
Motorola X: 10.5 megapixel "Clear" pixel
LG F7: 8 megapixel
Neither company has made great cameras before. The Motorola has more pixels but the software according to reviews is wonky. Sometimes you get a great picture and sometimes you don't.

Battery:
Motorola X: 2200 mah
LG F7: 2540 mah
Battery life will probably be similar.

Price (no contract):
Motorola: $650
LG F7: $300
Motorola costs twice as much off contract.

This is why people are upset at the price. If the Motorola isn't a mid range phone, I guess the LG isn't either. But at least the LG is priced like it is.

kinggroin

Banned
but it's very conventional, it's just a newer revision Snapdragon S4 and two DSPs that are not on the SoC at all. i'm surprised they didn't count the camera DSP and say it's an X9! and the GPU is winning just like other GPUs on other WVGA/QHD/720p phones win vs a better GPU on a 1080p display. the offscreen results tell a different story.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...he-moto-x-sports-a-great-gpu-respectable-cpu/

That's not midrange to me. Wins offscreen too.
I'll have to find more recent browser tests, but it beats the S4 on some of them as well.

And no, it's not conventional the way the S4 and One are. Unless you're willing to ignore what Motorola is attempting to do here with this sort of augmented computing for better efficiency rather than "omagerd it has mad gigahertz!" while you create strawmen with that camera joke, because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Look. I honestly don't give a fuck about the phone as far as being a potential consumer. I have a One. I love it. I'm just trying to bring a little balance to the carnival of stupid surrounding this admittedly over-hyped device. (Look how ridiculous the post above this one is - talk about fucking reaching)

There are real criticisms to be had here. Customization lockdown for carriers, price in relation to "changing the mobile landscape" the way this device was supposed do.

Performance and where it sits on the tech scale isn't one of them.

Maybe I define high end, mid-range and low end differently?

gcubed

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...he-moto-x-sports-a-great-gpu-respectable-cpu/

I'll have to find more recent browser tests, but it beats the S4 on some of them as well.

And no, it's not conventional the way the S4 and One are. Unless you're willing to ignore what Motorola is attempting to do here with this sort of augmented computing for better efficiency rather than "omagerd it has mad gigahertz!" while you create strawmen with that camera joke, because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Look. I honestly don't give a fuck about the phone as far as being a potential consumer. I have a One. I love it. I'm just trying to bring a little balance to the carnival of stupid surrounding this admittedly over-hyped device.

There are real criticisms to be had here. Customization lockdown for carriers, price in relation to "changing the mobile landscape" the way this device was supposed do.

Wins off screen is being picky, it's the exact same GPU, 1fps is negligible.

Listen, I really like the phone, it's just priced wrong unless there is a 2 for 1 deal we haven't seen.

this_guy

Look. I honestly don't give a fuck about the phone as far as being a potential consumer. I have a One. I love it. I'm just trying to bring a little balance to the carnival of stupid surrounding this admittedly over-hyped device. (Look how ridiculous the post above this one is - talk about fucking reaching)

What's stupid about facts? You post about how specs don't matter, until the Motorola X produces a winning benchmark then all of a sudden it does.

oh, so you're just DAing... nm then.

Just because the X isn't priced the same as the Nexus 4 doesn't mean its a terrible device, just a mediocre one. Motorola have just shown that apps can be loaded in order to make a "phone" more custom tailored to the end-users need. Design wise, it seems to fit between the One and the Nexus 4.

As a lurker for a while, the backlash over a sub-spec'ed phone is laughable since all of you demand quad-core phones to last 48 hrs with 47 hours of screen time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
130806_175358mlrnb.png

kehs

Banned
Let's compare the motorola X to this LG model you can get on Boost Mobile or US Cellular.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4059

Screen:
Motorola X: 4.7" 720p
LG F7: 4.7" 720p
They're pretty much equal

Processor:
Motorola X: Customized Dual Core Snapdragon with DSP (think Super FX chip!)
LG F7: Dual Core Snapdragon from last year
Motorola has the edge here, but I would say this LG is closer to the Motorola X than the Motorola X compared to the Galaxy S4 or HTC One.

Camera:
Motorola X: 10.5 megapixel "Clear" pixel
LG F7: 8 megapixel
Neither company has made great cameras before. The Motorola has more pixels but the software according to reviews is wonky. Sometimes you get a great picture and sometimes you don't.

Battery:
Motorola X: 2200 mah
LG F7: 2540 mah
Battery life will probably be similar.

Price (no contract):
Motorola: $650
LG F7: $300
Motorola costs twice as much off contract.

This is why people are upset at the price. If the Motorola isn't a mid range phone, I guess the LG isn't either. But at least the LG is priced like it is.

lol

what the

catmincer

Ack so I broke my One. I suck.

Grabbed a cheap Xperia V to tide me over until the end of the year. I figured that something water resistant might be a safer idea. :(

Let's see if Sony actually update this from 4.1 :D

malfcn

Optimus G Pro eh

Yup. How can you tell? Or did you see my other posts.

What is it syncing or how can I stop it? I am on wifi. I left my phone home and found this. Maybe it is Facebook, since it asked to sync contacts. But I said no.

Found it. It is trying to sync Google Music. And I have no music on this device.
And then I also see at the bottom:
"Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."
That's gotta be it.

And weird, I changed the unlock from swipe to the pattern.
And when the screen timed out it let me swipe.

I am so new to this technology.

malfcn

And weird, I changed the unlock from swipe to the pattern.
And when the screen timed out it let me swipe.

I am so new to this technology.

Looks like I somehow set it to:

Screen off after 30 seconds.
Swipe until 1 minute, and then lock with pattern after.

gerg

So, I have a pretty noobish question that I could use some help with. Just upgraded to an S4 (which I've probably overspent on - I probably should have gone for the Mini, as the extra weight is really noticeable changing from the S2) and I've noticed that in Firefox it no longer displays the url bar at all times. Is there a way to make it display permanently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom