• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

So, I have a pretty noobish question that I could use some help with. Just upgraded to an S4 (which I've probably overspent on - I probably should have gone for the Mini, as the extra weight is really noticeable changing from the S2) and I've noticed that in Firefox it no longer displays the url bar at all times. Is there a way to make it display permanently?

if you scroll up it doesn't come back?

reKon

Banned
As long as you say it on the seller description.

It did. I don't know if you've used this site before, but when filling out the form, they make you state all this relevant information so it's pretty nice, clear, and organized. The buyer told me that he will flash to stock anyways. I guess I could do that for him with that root kit. The drivers on my computer always fuck up and making doing of this a hassle though, so we'll see.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
130807_001506jrj7y.png

:D

RM8

Guise, help. If my Xperia P is starting to struggle with more recent games, is the Xperia SP a decent upgrade from it? Lol, mid-range-phone problems. I'm just illiterate when it comes to specs D:

Xperia P:
System chip: ST Erricson NovaThor U8500
Processor: Dual core, 1000 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9
Graphics: Adreno 205
System memory: 1024 MB RAM

Xperia SP:
System chip: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro MSM8960T
Processor: Dual core, 1700 MHz, Krait
Graphics: Adreno 320

My main fear comes from the fact that they're both at 1GB of RAM. But... my ancient 2011 Sony Tablet S runs, say, Prince of Persia Shadow & Flame flawlessly (unlike my phone) and it also has 1GB of RAM. So specsGAF, is it worth the upgrade? It also has Gorilla Glass unlike the Xperia P which I really appreciate, but I'm not sure that's enough for me to bite.

vivftp

From what I've seen the SP should be a pretty decent upgrade from the P.

If a small powerhouse phone is what you want though, it might be worth the wait for Honami mini. It should be a fully fledged flagship in a smaller body. Of course it'll likely carry the same super high flagship pricetag though. Plus you'd have to wait until Q1 2014.

catmincer

Guise, help. If my Xperia P is starting to struggle with more recent games, is the Xperia SP a decent upgrade from it? Lol, mid-range-phone problems. I'm just illiterate when it comes to specs D:

Xperia P:
System chip: ST Erricson NovaThor U8500
Processor: Dual core, 1000 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9
Graphics: Adreno 205

Xperia SP:
System chip: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro MSM8960T
Processor: Dual core, 1700 MHz, Krait
Graphics: Adreno 320

My main fear comes from the fact that they're both at 1GB of RAM. But... my ancient 2011 Sony Tablet S runs, say, Prince of Persia Shadow & Flame flawlessly (unlike my phone) and it also has 1GB of RAM. So specsGAF, is it worth the upgrade? It also has Gorilla Glass unlike the Xperia P which I really appreciate, but I'm not sure that's enough for me to bite.

You could also look at the T. It's a bit older but might be cheaper.

RM8

From what I've seen the SP should be a pretty decent upgrade from the P.

If a small powerhouse phone is what you want though, it might be worth the wait for Honami mini. It should be a fully fledged flagship in a smaller body. Of course it'll likely carry the same super high flagship pricetag though. Plus you'd have to wait until Q1 2014.
The thing with the Honami is that I feel the camera (which I don't need) will drive the price way too high. Otherwise, yes, it's pretty much what I want - a capable phone that is small.

You could also look at the T. It's a bit older but might be cheaper.
If I buy a new phone I'd rather get a newer one, though. I'm pretty sure the T and the P won't be updated beyond their current Android versions, while the SP is just getting started.

Hope I can find it in red BTW! Looks fantastic. But if the P was any indication, the red phone won't make it to Mexico :(

vivftp

The thing with the Honami is that I feel the camera (which I don't need) will drive the price way too high. Otherwise, yes, it's pretty much what I want - a capable phone that is small.

Well who knows, Honami mini might not have the same bigarse camera as the 5" version. It'll be quite a bit smaller overall, but it'll also probably be a fair bit thicker to allow for all that internal hardware and a decent size battery.

It looks nice but I think Samsung still has the best power and volume button positioning.

Samsung needs to separate them by another cm of vertical distance. On my Note II, it's very easy to accidentally push the volume button while trying to push the power button on the other side, and vice versa. Putting a case on it made it a lot easier to avoid this, but when my phone was still naked I would always be pushing the volume button while trying to hit the power button to wake the phone up.

Cipherr

Ill bet this years Nexus isn't even made by LG. Its crazy how we always seem to just assume the company that made the previous Nexus will make the next one. Its gonna fuck around and be Sony or HTC or something.

Toki767

Ill bet this years Nexus isn't even made by LG. Its crazy how we always seem to just assume the company that made the previous Nexus will make the next one. Its gonna fuck around and be Sony or HTC or something.

I doubt most would complain if it were Sony or HTC. Which means it'll probably be ASUS or something.

Groof

Going to make a great Nexus 5 phone.
Its going to take a while to get used to a phone with no side volume buttons.
nexusae0_BRBYZljCEAAmaHz_thumb.png
Yup, looks slick. Bit worried about the back and buttons though. I find the current button placement to be great.
So far using the same OEM twice in a row has been par for the course, right? At least for the phones.
HTC x2
Samsung x2
ASUS x2
LG x??

tzare

Going to make a great Nexus 5 phone.
Its going to take a while to get used to a phone with no side volume buttons.
nexusae0_BRBYZljCEAAmaHz_thumb.png

Looks great , only concern so far those volume buttons on the back.

Just picked a G for my wife , so if this ones turns into N5 we both will have LG phones by the end of the year :)

Monetizing tethering should be illegal.

Please understand, the data that goes through your phone and then on your PC is much more expensive than the same bits and bytes that go through your landline. It absolutely makes sense to charge extra for it.

Look at the HTC Mini?

SP is cheaper, has a bigger battery, has a stronger GPU, a larger screen and isn't infected with shitty Sense. For what reason should he look at the HTC Half? Seriously, it's the same size as the SP as well!

Since he is in Mexico, the Moto X would actually be a decent shout though, if he can get it for a good price.

Groof

Please understand, the data that goes through your phone and then on your PC is much more expensive than the same bits and bytes that go through your landline. It absolutely makes sense to charge extra for it.
But you're already paying for the data on your phone, and if you tether a lot you'll probably be paying for a lot more than your average Joe. So why pay extra to use what you're already paying for?

panda21

wish there were selling the MotoX in europe, not a gimped version. i'm not in the market for a new phone right now, but being able to have something other than a black monolith is very appealing.

hope they move away from the tron in android 5 too. something more like googlenow and the new playstore/gmail would be deliciusous

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
But you're already paying for the data on your phone, and if you tether a lot you'll probably be paying for a lot more than your average Joe. So why pay extra to use what you're already paying for?
Please understand.

tino

Banned
wish there were selling the MotoX in europe, not a gimped version. i'm not in the market for a new phone right now, but being able to have something other than a black monolith is very appealing.

hope they move away from the tron in android 5 too. something more like googlenow and the new playstore/gmail would be deliciusous

Only loser companies like Pentax and Nokia use color to sell hardware products.

xtop

Yup, looks slick. Bit worried about the back and buttons though. I find the current button placement to be great.

So far using the same OEM twice in a row has been par for the course, right? At least for the phones.
HTC x2
Samsung x2
ASUS x2
LG x??

not quite right..

htc x1
samsung x3
asus x2
lg x??

i'm kinda hoping it's not lg again though. the g2 looks great and all, but i was really liking the idea of the moto x having the same size screen but much smaller. would like to see what they can fit into a phone the size of the current nexus 4

Groof

not quite right..

htc x1
samsung x3
asus x2
lg x??

i'm kinda hoping it's not lg again though. the g2 looks great and all, but i was really liking the idea of the moto x having the same size screen but much smaller. would like to see what they can fit into a phone the size of the current nexus 4

Yeah I was counting the HTC Dream/G1, but I guess that shouldn't be counted as a Nexus device. Anyway, I think the chances of LG doing the N5 is most plausible, but we'll see in a few months.

xtop

Yeah I was counting the HTC Dream/G1, but I guess that shouldn't be counted as a Nexus device. Anyway, I think the chances of LG doing the N5 is most plausible, but we'll see in a few months.

oh dear how did i forget the g1?? yeah not technically a nexus device, but close enough. but if they do the g2 as the nexus 5, they better move those volume keys to the side. don't know what they're trying to accomplish putting them on the back lol

to this day i still can't believe they charge for RECEIVING text messages. i mean, charging for texts at all is ridiculous, but just for getting them is a special kind of corporate villainy.

Groof

oh dear how did i forget the g1?? yeah not technically a nexus device, but close enough. but if they do the g2 as the nexus 5, they better move those volume keys to the side. don't know what they're trying to accomplish putting them on the back lol
"Ergonomic & intuitive design," I presume. And I sort of understand the reasoning, I usually hold my phone with one finger on the back, around the area where they placed the buttons. So I could totally see that being useful.

to this day i still can't believe they charge for RECEIVING text messages. i mean, charging for texts at all is ridiculous, but just for getting them is a special kind of corporate villainy.

uwot???

i really find it funny that LG calls their new flagship the LG G2, especially because their 2011 flagship the LG G2x is still on Gingerbread while the 2011 Sony and HTC flagships got ICS and the Samsung flagship got all the way to JB.

Samsung needs to separate them by another cm of vertical distance. On my Note II, it's very easy to accidentally push the volume button while trying to push the power button on the other side, and vice versa. Putting a case on it made it a lot easier to avoid this, but when my phone was still naked I would always be pushing the volume button while trying to hit the power button to wake the phone up.

that would be odd.

yyzjohn

Banned
yeah, that's an S4

reminds me of those iPhone fan renders with edge-to-edge screens

Can't wait for the official unveiling so we can see this thing compared to a bunch of other phones. I'm interested to see how much wider it is compared to the Nexus 4, if this thing is truly going to be the Nexus 5 I wan't to make sure the overall size isn't overpowering. I like the overall size of the Nexus 4 and wouldn't want something that was TOO much bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom