• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

nah, the greatest troll is the new info in my previous post

SIX CUSTOM SOFTWARE BUTTON CONFIGS

zero with an app switcher button

LarryDavidFainting.gif

Does anyone else think designing your smartphone around how someone talks just dumb? If they spent so much time creeping on people you'd think they would've noticed how much we don't spend talking.

tino

Banned
I got it but really this doesn't do much. Google should have just bought Cerebus and integrated it.

I don't see google ever integrating that kind of features. Stalking your phone thief will not get your phone back, either will the police of most countires do anything.

Ephemeris

If I bothered to click on the arrow the first time I would have seen:

SGH-T999

So looks like i'm already up and running on the phone as well. Never tried Cerberus. Still recommended?

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't see google ever integrating that kind of features. Stalking your phone thief will not get your phone back, either will the police of most countires do anything.

I thought there was a case just like that with cerebus where the guy tracked his phone took pics etc and then he got it back thanks to the cops and the info he provided.

I thought there was a case just like that with cerebus where the guy tracked his phone took pics etc and then he got it back thanks to the cops and the info he provided.

I think Google has enough problems as it is with privacy concerns. Based on the warning when you open the page, it looks like Google wants to discourage vigilantism anyways haha.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't see the difference between 4.7/5.0/5.2 1080p screens. Whats important are the *other stuff*.

I don't disagree, but I can tell a difference. That is down to display differences like I can tell if it is AMOLED vs LCD or you can tell a difference in color representation. Ditto for viewing angles.

Not that it matters much.

Biggest differentiating factor IMO seems to be the camera these days. Each phone's camera seems to take it's own distinct style of photos.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, that G2 is ugly. And what are they thinking with the Menu button and no multitasking one? Yeesh.

Android Device Manager only worked for me after I enabled it in Device Admin. How would people know to do that?

kehs

Banned
Man, that G2 is ugly. And what are they thinking with the Menu button and no multitasking one? Yeesh.

Android Device Manager only worked for me after I enabled it in Device Admin. How would people know to do that?

The page tells you that you need to activate it, and it has a "send a notification" link that sends a notification to your phone where you can activate it.

wfN4HNT.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Didn't appear on my mobile Chrome on my Nexus 10.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Phandroid is reporting that the rumored August 23rd release date for the Moto X on Verizon might be the release date across the board on all carriers in the US.

Top Motorola engineer defends Moto X specs (Q&A)

Arshad, Motorola's senior vice president for product development, said he thinks the critics are missing the point. And he said there is nothing "last year" about this device, and he even called the Moto X the "most advanced smartphone on the market. Period."

"I think people who are hard core about comparing specs, simply don't understand the design of the product," he said.

looks like Moto is putting their X up

How about buying a replaceable battery and adding and SD card to it?

You can do that on an S3 or S4, but obviously not the Moto X. And frankly we've got benchmarks and specs backwards but for understandable reasons. What always leaks first is the specs of a device, not the experience.

What should always be most important is the experience. The benchmarks/specs should simply confirm our observations. Instead specs become the be all and end all even if the experience is better than phones which outclass it on numbers alone, numbers without meaningful context.

Talon

That leads me to the criticism about the screen resolution. Why Motorola decide to go with a lower resolution? I mean it seems like every other high-end smartphone, including the new LG G2 that was just introduced today, has a 1080p screen. And when it comes to pixels per square inch, the Galaxy S4 has the Moto X beat.

Arshad: First of all, what Samsung has done with the GS4 screen is not true 1080p. Instead, Samsung is using a PenTile display. Each pixel is made up of three color sub pixels. It's missing one of the pixels. We are using a true RGB pattern custom display that gives true color reproduction without wasting battery life.

Samsung is using a graphics processor, but they're using it the wrong way and their performance is actually worse than ours. They are burning more battery life. In the case of HTC, they're using an LCD screen, which is simply an inferior technology.

Also, the human eye cannot discern resolution beyond 300 pixels per inch. And we exceed that. So the eye can't even see the difference. But the human eye can see big differences in color saturation and reproduction. In fact, I'd say that is even more important than resolution. So we decided to focus on that aspect instead.
Somewhere, Brian Klug's eyes are rolling out of his eyeballs.

Nicktendo86

Just flat out disagree with LCD being an inferior tech, for now. Also lol at calling out Samsung for using a sub pixel arrangement on the s4, doing they do that because the blue ones burn out and you et burn in? Guess the x will get very noticeable burn in, mark my words.

Talon

Just flat out disagree with LCD being an inferior tech, for now. Also lol at calling out Samsung for using a sub pixel arrangement on the s4, doing they do that because the blue ones burn out and you et burn in? Guess the x will get very noticeable burn in, mark my words.
I was more referring to the lazy "pentile" designation for any non-RGB arrangement of subpixels. Klug went on a rant about that last Anandtech podcast.

Also, yeah, disagree with the Super LCD being clearly inferior. Sort of hilarious for him to say that when he's playing up color accuracy and lack of oversaturation.

They chose AMOLED for the Active Notification feature, which is great and very cool. But BS please.

Somewhere, Brian Klug's eyes are rolling out of his eyeballs.

he's an Engineer, not an OBGYN!

I was more referring to the lazy "pentile" designation for any non-RGB arrangement of subpixels. Klug went on a rant about that last Anandtech podcast.

Also, yeah, disagree with the Super LCD being clearly inferior. Sort of hilarious for him to say that when he's playing up color accuracy and lack of oversaturation.

They chose AMOLED for the Active Notification feature, which is great and very cool. But BS please.

wait for the DisplayMate tests! surely they will have the best calibration to be seen on a mobile handset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom