• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Looks like it's a 6 week exclusive:

However, the customizable colors will be exclusive to AT&T at first. The other three carriers will carry Moto Xs in stock black and white until early November. At that point, the three other carriers will allow customers to choose from all the color options.

Android-GAF, here's my situation:

1. My current phone is the Verizon Galaxy "Nexus". It has served me well for the past 2 years, even with Verizon's infuriating update schedule.
2. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Verizon; their network is still the strongest in our area and we have 6 devices on a shared plan.
3. I'm guessing the next Nexus phone won't work on Verizon. Is it even worth waiting for confirmation?
4. Sense looks annoying, though I suppose it could be tolerable. NO TOUCHWIZ GARBAGE.

Basically, does that limit me to the Moto X and the Droid Maxx? Alas, it would be so much easier if the next Nexus phone worked on Verizon.

1. My current phone is the Verizon Galaxy "Nexus". It has served me well for the past 2 years, even with Verizon's infuriating update schedule.
2. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Verizon; their network is still the strongest in our area and we have 6 devices on a shared plan.
3. I'm guessing the next Nexus phone won't work on Verizon. Is it even worth waiting for confirmation?
4. Sense looks annoying, though I suppose it could be tolerable. NO TOUCHWIZ GARBAGE.

Basically, does that limit me to the Moto X and the Droid Maxx? Alas, it would be so much easier if the next Nexus phone worked on Verizon.

LG G2

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If you like the Blue I'd say get the HTC One.

If you didn't hate touchwiz with a passion I'd say wait for the Galaxy Note 3.

Also check out the LG2 shown today.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Uhhhhh so att has an exclusive on the moto maker until November

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto...aker-exclusive-on-AT-T-until-November_id46176
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, announcing the new LG Verizon:

verizon_g2.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Look a few posts up. :)

This means the Moto X doesn't officially launch until November then. By then, the Nexus 5 will be announced... so yeah.

Guess I'm just waiting it all out then. I won't go to AT&T.

I'll go unlocked, T-Mobile, or even Verizon (as a last resort), but I won't go AT&T.

catmincer

Sense 5 is nothing like previous sense. I'd go HTC One.

thespot84

I'm smiling right now

Moto Engineer: "People are trained to look at incremental increases in specs, and that's not what makes this phone the most advance phone on the market."

Some Asshole in the Comments: "A high end phone in 2013 shouldn't have 2011 specs."

Keep up the good fight, internet....

Husker86

Guess I'm just waiting it all out then. I won't go to AT&T.

I'll go unlocked, T-Mobile, or even Verizon (as a last resort), but I won't go AT&T.

Verizon is my no-go at this point. I went from Verizon to Straight Talk and now AT&T (I wanted LTE back in my life). I find Verizon's policies to be far more anti-consumer (AT&T still allows individual plans with 3GB for $30--total equivalent pricepoint on Verizon would be 1GB of data, AT&T at least lets you choose not to have texting which would bring total plan far below Verizon's lowest smartphone plan). On top of those, every flagship phone will have a model that works on AT&T, not so for Verizon.

I really want T-Mobile but they still refuse to acknowledge the Midwest.

tino

Banned
Moto Engineer: "People are trained to look at incremental increases in specs, and that's not what makes this phone the most advance phone on the market."

Some Asshole in the Comments: "A high end phone in 2013 shouldn't have 2011 specs."

Keep up the good fight, internet....

Just because he say it doesn't mean its true. People usually will buy the car with better spec higher horse power, if the prices of the cars being cross-shopped are similar.

It has nothing to do with internet. Consumer Report can still shit on Moto X (base on the screen alone.)

Just because he say it doesn't mean its true. People usually will buy the car with better spec higher horse power, if the price of the cars being cross-shopped are similar.

seriously, this is the same engineer that said stuff like

"I mean, what can you do with the Samsung Galaxy S4 that you can't do with the Galaxy S3? The answer is nothing."

and

"In the case of HTC, they're using an LCD screen, which is simply an inferior technology."

and

"Also, the human eye cannot discern resolution beyond 300 pixels per inch."

etc...

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Is the instagram update busted? I definitely didn't update yet, and it's saying that I did. It doesn't have any of the upgrades either.

How bout dem three year contracts?
we don't have those any more either starting around now. Sure they fired up the prices for everything after moving to 2 years but WHATEVZ. I can still get my unlimited talk and 6gb of data for 60 bucks on my employee plan so I'm fine!

we don't have those any more either starting around now. Sure they fired up the prices for everything after moving to 2 years but WHATEVZ. I can still get my unlimited talk and 6gb of data for 60 bucks on my employee plan so I'm fine!

Until you want to upgrade, then you'll be forced to change it. I'm in the same boat. I think I'm never going to upgrade, I'm just going to buy phones through work at 50% off and use them.

Until you want to upgrade, then you'll be forced to change it. I'm in the same boat. I think I'm never going to upgrade, I'm just going to buy phones through work at 50% off and use them.
no no I mean I'll use my employee discount which 50% off any plan right, so yeah use that when the 2 year contracts go into effect. So instead of 120 for what I said I'll just pay 60.

Obviously I'll wait till there's a phone I want a subsidy one, might not be for a year especially if the nex5 is good and sold cheap. But we'll see. But yeah it kind of sucks for regular consumers. The prices went up big, especially at rogers and telus.

no no I mean I'll use my employee discount which 50% off any plan right, so yeah use that when the 2 year contracts go into effect. So instead of 120 for what I said I'll just pay 60.

Obviously I'll wait till there's a phone I want a subsidy one, might not be for a year especially if the nex5 is good and sold cheap. But we'll see. But yeah it kind of sucks for regular consumers. The prices went up big, especially at rogers and telus.

Oh ok, yeah that works. Paying exactly twice as much for the same plan though is some nasty shit. They have to drop them soon, people must be going apeshit.

thespot84

seriously, this is the same engineer that said stuff like

"I mean, what can you do with the Samsung Galaxy S4 that you can't do with the Galaxy S3? The answer is nothing."

and

"In the case of HTC, they're using an LCD screen, which is simply an inferior technology."

and

"Also, the human eye cannot discern resolution beyond 300 pixels per inch."

etc...

what is it that can you do on the s4 that you can't do on the s3?

How do you turn off unused pixels on an LCD again? I must have forgotten that part.

Have you had your visual acuity tested recently? Are you better than 20/20? If not, then you can't tell the difference beyond 300 ppi at 1 foot (20/20=1 arc minute).

And tino your car analogy is rubbish. To take horsepower as the spec people will always opt for at the similar price? Have you ever bought a car? How about things like gas mileage? (way more important to most people) something like a sunroof? creature comforts? It's like saying a tesla is worse than a viper because the tesla wouldn't win in a quarter mile.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Whatever. The X is still overpriced.

what is it that can you do on the s4 that you can't do on the s3?
turn off my TV

How do you turn off unused pixels on an LCD again? I must have forgotten that part.
oh wait, i was unaware that he clarified, he just said inferior technology. and i'm a fan of OLED technology!

Have you had your visual acuity tested recently? Are you better than 20/20? If not, then you can't tell the difference beyond 300 ppi at 1 foot (20/20=1 arc minute).
and strangely enough, actual scientists and doctors say that people can indeed tell the difference.

Vanillalite

Oh the tears that would fall if we don't get a Nexus 5, but a Google Play Moto X instead come Nov.

Again nobody has said the Moto X is bad. People have just said it is over priced. If we get a Google Play Moto X and it is priced right I think many here would be happy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Again nobody has said the Moto X is bad. People have just said it is over priced. If we get a Google Play Moto X and it is priced right I think many here would be happy.

Not me. It would be a guaranteed way for me to keep my N4. It's not a year's worth of change. Nice phone, but overpriced and not an upgrade from the N4. For me, anyway.

Vanillalite

Not me. It would be a guaranteed way for me to keep my N4. It's not a year's worth of change. Nice phone, but overpriced and not an upgrade from the N4. For me, anyway.

If you have a Nexus 4 you shouldn't be looking for an upgrade. People shouldn't be looking to upgrade their phones yearly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How is it not an upgrade from the N4? Better battery life, better camera, far more powerful GPU, no glass black, active display, and touchless control... Moto X is definitely better at everything except possibly quick updates. It also has LTE out of the box and will work on Verizon.

It's not a "year's worth of change"... because it's only been 8 months, lol.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Don't know if I'm LTTP on this but I noticed new updated/installed icons on the Play Store. Now they're all lumped together in one single icon when previously it would be an icon for every update. Looks really good IMO.

Note: on the notification tray.

iavi

The MotoX is a good phone. It's got a lot of killer features, a godly battery life, and is, no HTC ONE, but is well designed. It's also fucking expensive, for what it is.

If it was sold at even $50 over N4 prices--unlocked, I'd buy one right now. I think many of us would. But reality hits and it's $600 off-contract. wut.

tzare

yeah, would like to see picture taking, message displaying added to it

i'd choose sim security over that, if sim is changed send sms with location if available to desired number and lock device, so you know the number of the thief. I wonder android device managers works if the phone is wiped, i guess not. Cerberus does this doesn't it? but root is needed.

Android lost is also a nice free app that does most things cerberus does for free, but as ADM works using google account so if wiped...

markot

Banned
Stock android is pretty lame....

Its got so many short comings.

People rag on samsung and htc and their offerings, but they offer so much more, and so much more useability. (Samsung went mental recently though)(I like my HTC one and sense 5)

tzare

Stock android is pretty lame....

Its got so many short comings.

People rag on samsung and htc and their offerings, but they offer so much more, and so much more useability. (Samsung went mental recently though)(I like my HTC one and sense 5)

the thing i do not understand is why most launchers including stock android do not allow customization. That would fix almost every complain for me. so far LG launcher allows skins, icon change, different transition effects, and notification bar customization, it also allows changing fonts. Is not as bad as i read here.

For example stock android on nexus s has that horrible google search widget on every screen. Why can't i turn it off? (if the option is there is hidden)

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
the thing i do not understand is why most launchers including stock android do not allow customization. That would fix almost every complain for me. so far LG launcher allows skins, icon change, different transition effects, and notification bar customization, it also allows changing fonts. Is not as bad as i read here.

For example stock android on nexus s has that horrible google search widget on every screen. Why can't i turn it off? (if the option is there is hidden)
Outside of changing the notification bar and fonts (although I may be mistaken), you can change everything else aforementioned with the free version of Nova Launcher, and I imagine a variety of other launchers as well. To be fair, it's not part of the original launcher itself, but if customization is your biggest deterrent from stock Android, it isn't difficult to work around that.

MattDoza

Is text editing terrible for everyone using Firefox? I was just correcting a few typos before hitting submit and it was unbearably slow. Forced me to switch to chrome.

Groof

Outside of changing the notification bar and fonts (although I may be mistaken), you can change everything else aforementioned with the free version of Nova Launcher, and I imagine a variety of other launchers as well. To be fair, it's not part of the original launcher itself, but if customization is your biggest deterrent from stock Android, it isn't difficult to work around that.
I think the point they're trying to make is that the stock launchers (the ones that are preinstalled) can't do those things, regardless of substitutes.

tzare

oh, i know, my only concern is that you still have the original launcher running in the background and usually takes some RAM, unless you root the device, and delete home.apk and put the new one as default. But that may void warranty on certain devices

Nicktendo86

Rejoice! Today is th day up updates! Netlix has been updated to work nice with 4.3, new Chrome beta, new intragram updates but my fave is LITE FLOW HAS BEEN UPDATED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF 4.3!!! No more janky accessibility workarounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom