• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Rejoice! Today is th day up updates! Netlix has been updated to work nice with 4.3, new Chrome beta, new intragram updates but my fave is LITE FLOW HAS BEEN UPDATED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF 4.3!!! No more janky accessibility workarounds!

I knoooowwwwwww, my room has been filled with tears of joy since this morning. Greatest of days indeed

tino

Banned
Stock android is pretty lame....

Its got so many short comings.

People rag on samsung and htc and their offerings, but they offer so much more, and so much more useability. (Samsung went mental recently though)(I like my HTC one and sense 5)

I am with you. And looks ugly too. Making everything black is not a style, its just lazy.

I can understand AOSP fans (its a political statement), but stock fans makes no sense to me.

i'd choose sim security over that, if sim is changed send sms with location if available to desired number and lock device, so you know the number of the thief. I wonder android device managers works if the phone is wiped, i guess not. Cerberus does this doesn't it? but root is needed.

Android lost is also a nice free app that does most things cerberus does for free, but as ADM works using google account so if wiped...
no, ADM doesn't work if the phone is wiped, and yes, apps that do require root for this feature because they are converted to being System apps on the system partition and that isn't cleared by a wipe.

Hopefully they keep the nexus 4 as a cheap phone with a new nexus 5 that has LG2 type specs and each getting yearly update like the tablets.

/dreams

yyzjohn

Banned
I knoooowwwwwww, my room has been filled with tears of joy since this morning. Greatest of days indeed

I updated Lite Flow this morning, turned on the notifications thing for it, now the light doesn't go on for my email. Used to work fine before this update with the "janky" way of doing it.

Update: used to run Lite Flow in "root mode". Unchecked that with this new 4.3 notifications thing and it seems to work fine now.

so yeah, about Google and MTP and SD Cards etc...

Lenovo IdeaTab A1000 update gives a much needed boost to internal storage

Lenovo's recent launch of the IdeaTab A1000 had the unfortunate problem of having only a few hundred megabytes of usable internal storage, due to the "interesting" partitioning done to the tablet's 16 GB of on-board memory.

Lenovo took notice of the problems users were having, quickly running out of memory after installing just a few apps, and sent out an over-the-air update. The update increases the internal storage partition from 512 MB to 1.5 GB, giving some much needed breathing room for applications. The update will wipe all user data, so make sure to backup before accepting it.

this is one of the reasons why they moved away from the whole SD and USB MSC (UMS) functionality

Does anyone know if android works well with exchange? I'm using my tablet more and more these days and I'm wondering if it's worth linking it up to my exchange account.

If the built in stuff doesn't, are there any apps that are particularly good with it? (Specifically in regard to calendaring)

mackattk

so yeah, about Google and MTP and SD Cards etc...

Lenovo IdeaTab A1000 update gives a much needed boost to internal storage

this is one of the reasons why they moved away from the whole SD and USB MSC (UMS) functionality

Saw this, and 1.5GB is still ridiculously low. IIRC, the system takes about about 400MB of it, so you are effectively left with a little over a gig of storage for apps. Lenovo pretty much shot themselves in the foot with this thing over storage usage...

kehs

Banned
So I hate how they took away the ability to unpin multiple items in Google Music.

Such a hassle to take stuff off. =/

I have my doubts it will be $300 cheap.

Maybe $450.00 off contract with those specs.

People said the same thing last year. The Nexus 4 was one of the first phones, if not the first phone, to sport a S4 Pro, which was a top-of-the-line, cutting-edge processor at the end of 2012. It also had every feature under the sun sans out-of-the-box LTE (wireless charging, NFC, etc.). Yet, it was only $300 due to Google subsidizing the cost.

If they do subsidize again, the Nexus 5 could easily hit the same price mark, and considering the Nexus 4 is in the top-10 of a recent usage survey, I'm sure Google is keen on keeping the Nexus line going. The N4 was a home run for them.

this_guy

Have you had your visual acuity tested recently? Are you better than 20/20? If not, then you can't tell the difference beyond 300 ppi at 1 foot (20/20=1 arc minute).

Have you seen those AT&T commercial with the guy talking to the little kids? What's better? Fast or slow? How about 1080 vs 720?

You can take Apple's claim that anything above 300 ppi doesn't matter, but all of the reviews still say the Galaxy S4 and HTC One have nicer screens. The reviews I've read for the Motorola X basically say the screen doesn't suck. What would you rather have? A beautiful 1080 screen or a screen that doesn't suck? C'mon, you can say it - we all know.

SimleuqiR

People said the same thing last year. The Nexus 4 was one of the first phones, if not the first phone, to sport a S4 Pro, which was a top-of-the-line, cutting-edge processor at the end of 2012. It also had every feature under the sun sans out-of-the-box LTE (wireless charging, NFC, etc.). Yet, it was only $300 due to Google subsidizing the cost.

If they do it again, it could easily hit the same mark, and considering the Nexus 4 is in the top-10 of a recent usage survey, I'm sure Google is keen on keeping the Nexus line going. The N4 was a home run for them.

At that price? Hell yeah!

They just introduced the Google Play devices into the mix. That's why I have my doubts they will be undercutting their own partners by so much.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Does the X listen through bluetooth headset at all times?

My father in law is a quadriplegic and this would be a godsend for him.

njean777

I am at a crossroads. I recently left Verizon and went to ATT as I was with them before and never had a problem, but I cannot decide on an HTC One or and Iphone 5. I know the 5s is coming, but I really could care less as apple usually takes care of their prior phones. Anywho I really love the design of the HTC One, but IDK if I can deal with the OS itself. Anybody in here who left the iphone for the htc?

At that price? Hell yeah!

They just introduced the Google Play devices into the mix. That's why I have my doubts they will be undercutting their own partners by so much.

If their partners want to subsidize their Play store versions, by all means, they can. Google has zero incentive to do it for them.

Prices for the Nexus line have gone down from phone to phone (Nexus One: 529; Nexus S: 529; Galaxy Nexus: 400; Nexus 4: 300). I don't see them spiking back up. I could see $400 for the high-end one, nothing more.

tino

Banned
If their partners want to subsidize their Play store versions, by all means, they can. Google has zero incentive to do it for them.

Prices for the Nexus line have gone down from phone to phone (Nexus One: 529; Nexus S: 529; Galaxy Nexus: 400; Nexus 4: 300). I don't see them spiking back up. I could see $400 for the high-end one, nothing more.

If google sell the LG G2 at 299 and offer no expendability is going to drive me nuts. My podcast alone takes up more than 10gb.

Save me Sony/Samsung.

Sky Chief

I am at a crossroads. I recently left Verizon and went to ATT as I was with them before and never had a problem, but I cannot decide on an HTC One or and Iphone 5. I know the 5s is coming, but I really could care less as apple usually takes care of their prior phones. Anywho I really love the design of the HTC One, but IDK if I can deal with the OS itself. Anybody in here who left the iphone for the htc?

My roommate's girlfriend was in the same predicament. She went with the One but a few weeks later decided she didn't want to learn a new OS so she returned it for an iPhone 5 as you can do within 30 days, I believe. That seems like a good option. Personally, after switching from iOS to Android a few years ago I can never go back unless Apple makes huge changes. The Android OS is just so much more powerful and customization and I use all Google services so those are obviously integrated very well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stock android is pretty lame....

Its got so many short comings.

People rag on samsung and htc and their offerings, but they offer so much more, and so much more useability. (Samsung went mental recently though)(I like my HTC one and sense 5)

Usability is the opposite of what skins offer.

HBP

Has there been any hint on when the Nexus 4 may get updated? I am wanting to sell my iPhone 5 to get one (after getting an android tablet) but assuming a new Nexus is near by I want to wait (plus no LTE is a bummer for me).

Nova Launcher over the new Touchwiz is perfect for me. Stock look, Wiz features.

that's what i use too!

SZlxNvbl.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I am with you. And looks ugly too. Making everything black is not a style, its just lazy.

It's a design decision. Cutting out the unnecessary is harder than shoving as much crap as possible in and making it look as gaudy as possible.

People actually want software buttons? what the christ?

I don't need more screen real estate taken up by buttons.

Software buttons are the future for a reason.

Gvaz

Banned
It's a design decision. Cutting out the unnecessary is harder than shoving as much crap as possible in and making it look as gaudy as possible.

Software buttons are the future for a reason.

I have an S3, and hardware buttons for the big 3 are just fine. By removing them and increasing them to 5.2 inches or whatever, you're really not getting any more real estate on a higher resolution screen for your homescreen/apps/whatever

Now, I'd like it a lot more if there were hardware buttons, then there'd be a ton of space to do shit.

I have an S3, and hardware buttons for the big 3 are just fine. By removing them and increasing them to 5.2 inches or whatever, you're really not getting any more real estate on a higher resolution screen for your homescreen/apps/whatever

Now, I'd like it a lot more if there were hardware buttons, then there'd be a ton of space to do shit.

show me a phone with not enough bottom bezel for HW buttons.

even the extremely impressive LG G2 with over 76% screen or something ridiculous like that has enough space

vJq402v.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
People actually want software buttons? what the christ?

I don't need more screen real estate taken up by buttons.
Yeah I wish that the S4 active came to Verizon purely for all hardware buttons. Even capacitive are inferior to a physical button.

thespot84

Have you seen those AT&T commercial with the guy talking to the little kids? What's better? Fast or slow? How about 1080 vs 720?

You can take Apple's claim that anything above 300 ppi doesn't matter, but all of the reviews still say the Galaxy S4 and HTC One have nicer screens. The reviews I've read for the Motorola X basically say the screen doesn't suck. What would you rather have? A beautiful 1080 screen or a screen that doesn't suck? C'mon, you can say it - we all know.

Firstly, quoting an AT&T commercial when arguing about phones? Really?

This has nothing to do with apples claim. Human visual acuity is 1 arc minute (This is a measurement of angle, so it's independent of distance) When you incorporate distance, you get a DPI/PPI measurement at that distance up to which the human eye can discern. It's basic math that at one foot and one arc minute that PPI is 300. Phones are almost always used at 1 foot or more (same as a magazine). There's a reason they don't print magazines above 300PPI, because it doesn't make a difference.

It's clear that those stuck in the spec trenches are so overcome with cognitive dissonance that the fact that some tech has reached the point that is simply good enough for 99% of humans won't appeal to them because samsung, apple, and htc's marketing teams have drilled the idea that SPECS=BETTER so far into their heads.

The screen certainly "doesn't suck":

Here's the first 4 reviews of the X from google ("moto x reviews) and what they have to say:

Giz:

A little more about that screen: It looks good. Really good, in fact, despite being 720p, not 1080p. It doesn't measure up to the 1080p screens on the HTC One or Galaxy S4, but truth be told, you'd have to be looking very closely to notice any difference (the tiniest bit of pixilation in fine print). At 316 pixel per inch it's only 10 PPI lower than the iPhone 5, and frankly the larger screen is worth the tradeoff.

BGR
Speaking of the display, it’s a 4.7-inch panel that features a 720p HD resolution, and is the best looking display ever to come out of Motorola. While it looks overly saturated and bright because it’s an AMOLED screen, the screen does look sharp and clear, with a 316 ppi that makes text look beautiful.

Engadget:
Yes, 1080p panels make for great bullet points in device announcement posts and headlines -- even as talking points in podcasts. But let's be real, for those folks that don't pretend to know the difference between AMOLED and Super LCD 3, 720p is good enough and especially on a 4.7-inch screen. The Moto X's AMOLED display packs a pixel density of 316 ppi, looks great from most any angle and has that signature vibrant pop of saturated color associated with this panel type. In short, I like it and you will, too. That said, it's not the brightest display I've ever seen on a smartphone and the glaring light of a bright summer sun does make it difficult to discern onscreen content.

Gigaom:
Here’s another compromise: Motorola chose to use a 1280 x 720 AMOLED display for the Moto X, so this isn’t a 1080p screen. You’d be hard pressed to know it because the pixel density is 316 pixels per inch, nearly the same as Apple’s “retina display” on the iPhone. I compared the Moto X screen many times with an HTC One handset that uses the same-sized screen with a 1080p display and I can’t tell a difference without putting both phones very close to my eyes. I suspect most consumers won’t be able see the difference either. Colors are rich and saturated, but not overdone.

When I read that, "doesn't suck" Isn't the impression I get from any of them. I see "better than good enough", ie you won't notice a difference and in some cases it looked really good.

here's what you'll do since you don't want to believe this:

A) You'll attack the source: "Those aren't anandtech, I hate giz, blah blah blah, it's not true"

B) You'll cherry pick: "That one review said it's oversaturated because it's AMOLED!" well, we were talking about resolution, so what's that have to do with it?

The argument that the X is too expensive stems from the logic that "worse specs = cheaper". If you take that to be true, then sure, it's too expensive. But that's not how economics work. The phone would be too expensive if the utility provided by it was less than other phones providing the same utility. However, based on what I've read, the X offers equal utility wherever there are specs involved (the experience with the screen and with the processor is as good (or damned close) as the competition), and it offers GREATER utility everywhere else. Software experience, design experience, battery life.

At the end of the day, I'm buying a phone, and you guys are buying a processor and a screen. Enjoy it.

daoster

Anybody from the Bay Area? I'm really looking to jump into the Tmobile world, but the problem is, I pay for my family plan and most of my family lives up in the Bay Area, so I want to know what kind of service Tmobile gets up there, before I jump in and potentially throw away my Verizon unlimited.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

How about good battery life? Something you can't get today with a 1080p screen and quad core processor.

The specs race isn't over yet but its time is at hand.

this_guy

Firstly, quoting an AT&T commercial when arguing about phones? Really?

At the end of the day, I'm buying a phone, and you guys are buying a processor and a screen. Enjoy it.

That AT&T commercial was all that needed to be said. You posted a long rant justifying the screen, when at the end of the day it's widely considered the S4 and One have better screens. I'll agree it's good enough. But what's better? Better screen or good enough? Just like the AT&T commercial.

I'm happy you like the phone. I like it too - just wish it was cheaper off contract. That's the argument.

How about good battery life? Something you can't get today with a 1080p screen and quad core processor.

The specs race isn't over yet but its time is at hand.

The Galaxy S4 gets great battery life according to the reviews, probably the best outside of the Razr Maxx and Galaxy Note 2 at the time of its release.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-battery-tests-are-done-heres-how-it-did/

this_guy

After all this back and forth I think I forgot, what's the off contract price? (honest question)

AT&T has it somewhere around $650. I think everyone (including me - I like the phone, it's just the price) is hoping Motorola or Google will sell it direct for less. $300 like the Nexus and I'll definitely get one, $400 I think it's still worth owning.

thespot84

AT&T has it somewhere around $650. I think everyone (including me - I like the phone, it's just the price) is hoping Motorola or Google will sell it direct for less. $300 like the Nexus and I'll definitely get one, $400 I think it's still worth owning.

of course I'd love it for less. The 16gb GS4 google play edition is $650, is that the going price or can you get it cheaper elsewhere?

It's clear that those stuck in the spec trenches are so overcome with cognitive dissonance that the fact that some tech has reached the point that is simply good enough for 99% of humans won't appeal to them because samsung, apple, and htc's marketing teams have drilled the idea that SPECS=BETTER so far into their heads.

As opposed to the cognitive dissonance that somehow has you convinced that paying more for less is good or that you're buying some sort of life-changing experience?

Look, most of us have already said we are fine with the specs. The pricing is just completely retarded. Look at it this way, put an S4 Pro and 720p in an HTC One - hell even price it the same as it is now - and I still take it over a Moto X. You still have an amazing design, better materials being used, bigger battery, still have the differentiating features (boomsound, IR), and best of all, it's already cheaper than the Moto X! When you add 1080p AND an S600 to the equation, I just can't see myself paying MORE for the Moto X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom