• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I thought the design choices that moto made were bold ones. To eschew the specs in exchange for a different, likely better experience. A lot of what they did, like a newer 2 core proc, other low power procs and amoled (allowing for active notifications and always listening), 720p screen etc will make the battery life a total beast, which is one of the the most important aspects to a mobile device.

Let's look at it this way. If they tried to have the feature set that they have now with the GS4 processor and gs4 screen the battery would shit the bed before your left your house in the morning. Is it not utterly impressive that they made a phone with a GOOD screen (maybe not the best), a lag-less user experience and hella battery life for slightly less than the current competitors with features no one else has yet? For me, I'm damned impressed that A) they pulled it off, and B) they decided to do it in the first place despite the spec whoring in the market that has been going on for so long.

Once TV manufacturers started putting "3,000,000:1" dynamic contracts ratios on the box yet I couldn't really see a difference in the displays at the store I knew I was being lied to. Is it surprising that the same companies are doing the same thing with their phones?

I'm going to start referring to all phone specs that I can't directly use (ghz, megapixels, ppi, resolution etc) as electrolyes. BUT...IT'S GOT ELECTROLYTES! IT'S WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

what idiocracy!!LOL but yeah...for me its not much the specs, but it doesn't really do anything different that will make my experience better. Like who actually talk to their phone? Apple tried to market Siri as a game changer, but right now, I don't even see anybody talking to their phone.

active notification is nice, but nothing to wow about, people will probably port that function to other phones anyways.

the only thing that I like about the moto x is that its made in the US...

kehs

Banned
what idiocracy!!LOL but yeah...for me its not much the specs, but it doesn't really do anything different that will make my experience better. Like who actually talk to their phone? Apple tried to market Siri as a game changer, but right now, I don't even see anybody talking to their phone.

active notification is nice, but nothing to wow about, people will probably port that function to other phones anyways.

the only thing that I like about the moto x is that its made in the US...

assembled

/numble

malfcn

Annoyed my charges won't change from pending to complete for my case. I'm afraid to carry this thing until then. Ordered Monday and still pending!

jokkir

The Note 2's battery is magical. 3 hours screen on time and not even 50% yet. The usage was heavy consisting of games (at least 1 hour of that 3 hours is playing games), internet usage, listening to music while playing games, Google Now activated. This thing could have easily lasted 5 hours screen on time without any hassle.

Way better than my Nexus S that only had 2.5 hours of screen on time if I was lucky. How's the S4's battery compared to the Note 2? I'm still trying to get that phone >__>

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still don't have my Chromecast either but I'm OK with that. It'll be hopefully improved a ton by the time I get mine.

We keep talking about 3000+ mah batteries but they're taking forever to become standard. If the battery in the N5 is huge and the camera is much improved, I'll upgrade in a heartbeat.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Still don't have my Chromecast either but I'm OK with that. It'll be hopefully improved a ton by the time I get mine.

We keep talking about 3000+ mah batteries but they're taking forever to become standard. If the battery in the N5 is huge and the camera is much improved, I'll upgrade in a heartbeat.

Fuck yes it will. We've reached the satisfactory level for everything but battery life. Sure I love my N4 with its 5.5+ hours of screen time per charge but more is always better seeing how shitty phones like the Maxx, 5, One and even Samsung trash have bigger batteries.

Nicktendo86

Fuck yes it will. We've reached the satisfactory level for everything but battery life. Sure I love my N4 with its 5.5+ hours of screen time per charge but more is always better seeing how shitty phones like the Maxx, 5, One and even Samsung trash have bigger batteries.
How do you get 5 hours of screen on time?!?!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've never counted but I bet I could completely run my GN 4G out in an hour by using Chrome on LTE.

tzare

lol, since i activated Android device manager on my T batery life sucks, google services is eating all my juice >&

Nicktendo86

Do tell how it goes, because I'm in the same boat as you. Reaching 5 hours is but a distant dream for me.

It would be fine if I had a tablet to fill my browsing/gaming needs in the evening by my wife hogs her N7. I would also charge my phone in work but I kinda don't want to...

Groof

It would be fine if I had a tablet to fill my browsing/gaming needs in the evening by my wife hogs her N7. I would also charge my phone in work but I kinda don't want to...
I don't even game on my N4 anymore... I do all that shit on my N7, read news, twitter etc. Yet... :'(

SimleuqiR

Asus to manufacture Nexus 10 refresh

According to multiple sources reporting to Geek.com, the Nexus 10 refresh is expected to be available on the Google Play Store as well as Best Buy retail stores in time for the holiday season. It’s unclear exactly what hardware improvements we’ll see in this new Nexus 10 over the previous generation, but given Asus and Google’s recent work with Qualcomm it’s not hard to guess that we’ll see a Snapdragon chipset powering an impressive 2560×1600 display.

Now that Moto Nexus rumor don't seem too far fetched.

Seem Googy is speeding up the process to compete directly with Sammy.

jokkir

Do tell how it goes, because I'm in the same boat as you. Reaching 5 hours is but a distant dream for me.

On a Nexus 4? What's your average battery time? I'm getting a little obsessed with saving battery lately because of that Nexus S I had

Nicktendo86

I don't even game on my N4 anymore... I do all that shit on my N7, read news, twitter etc. Yet... :'(

I usually play some temple run on the way to work and at home in the evening, especially now google play games app has come out, I am am achievements whore :(

i would LOVE a sane sized nexus from Moto. Its one of the reasons i was so excited for the X

If the Moto Nexus happens, I expect it to have the X8, except with a Snapdragon 600-800 as the main core. They did say their new architecture could be used with any processor.

Just kidding. It will have Moto X internals.

gcubed

If the Moto Nexus happens, I expect it to have the X8, except with a Snapdragon 600-800 as the main core. They did say their new architecture could be used with any processor.

Just kidding. It will have Moto X internals.

i'm fine with that... if it was priced accordingly.

jokkir

No doubt it will.
And if that's the case I will stick to my LG Nexus 4 a little longer.

The only thing that would make me buy a Nexus Moto X would be crazy battery life on LTE.

Oh yes. Maybe that will make a missing SD card slot/non-removable back a bit bearable

Groof

Asus to manufacture Nexus 10 refresh

Now that Moto Nexus rumor don't seem too far fetched.

Seem Googy is speeding up the process to compete directly with Sammy.
I'm all for this. Asus and Google seem to have a good relation lately, so i expect good things out of this. Hopefully this one is better supported than the last.
On a Nexus 4? What's your average battery time? I'm getting a little obsessed with saving battery lately because of that Nexus S I had
I usually average around 12-13 hours with 2.5h screen on time. Some days worse, others better.
I usually play some temple run on the way to work and at home in the evening, especially now google play games app has come out, I am am achievements whore :(
You and me both, man... Been playing 7x7 for the same reason :(

snacknuts

we all knew her
The Note 2's battery is magical. 3 hours screen on time and not even 50% yet. The usage was heavy consisting of games (at least 1 hour of that 3 hours is playing games), internet usage, listening to music while playing games, Google Now activated. This thing could have easily lasted 5 hours screen on time without any hassle.

Way better than my Nexus S that only had 2.5 hours of screen on time if I was lucky. How's the S4's battery compared to the Note 2? I'm still trying to get that phone >__>

I've pretty much decided on the Note 3 being my next device. I had a Note 2 for a couple weeks in January, but I decided to return it and get an iPad to use for school. The iPad has been a massive disappointment (why do people like these things so much?) and I am ready to move on from my GS3.

I don't think I see myself getting a Moto X when I can spend a bit more for a Note 3, and I have given up hope of there being another Nexus device on Verizon. Since I can't get stock Android, the Note 3 will likely have the best combination of features that I care about (good screen, good camera, great battery) and I imagine the form factor will be a bit smaller, similar to the difference between the S3 and S4.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/06/moto-x-review-2013/

The Moto X has zero performance issues. With Motorola’s X8 Mobile Computing System paired up with the dual-core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, it’s clear that the entire system has been fine-tuned to be smooth as butter. It’s a bit of a downer that Motorola didn’t use the quad-core Snapdragon 600 that the rest of the world has taken too this year, but this is where we sit. I think the takeaway here, is that mobile processors are probably not being fully taken advantage of if a dual-core chipset can run this good. In fact, (and not to bring up benchmarks again), if you run any of the GPU tests, you’ll find that the Moto X outperforms its biggest competitors. Part of that has to do with the lower resolution display, but some credit should also be given to Motorola.

Things like accessing Google Now with a swipe up from Home happen instantly, multi-tasking between apps doesn’t hiccup, the camera launches quickly, and the phone never seems to get hot.

I ran through a series of test photos today with the Moto X on a tripod (hope to post them soon), comparing it to shots taken with the Galaxy S4 and HTC One, and it came away as a success. I would say that the Galaxy S4 slightly bests the Moto X in terms of detail and overall image quality in good light, but the Moto X crushed it in low-light performance and was step-for-step with it in other situations. Well, aside from some weird discoloration that showed up every couple of low-light shots (see below). I also found that the Moto X outperformed the HTC One camera in almost every situation, but that could be due to the One’s low-resolution camera.

Phone never seems to get hot? Hnnnnnnnnnnngg.

I could fry an egg on my GN 4G when using Chrome or LTE.
0ro174Y.gif

My nexus 10 lasts 8 hours of screen time, let me use that as my phone.

SimleuqiR

Shenzhen Homecare Technology ?
Already set for elderly homes?

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/06/moto-x-review-2013/

Phone never seems to get hot? Hnnnnnnnnnnngg.

I could fry an egg on my GN 4G when using Chrome or LTE.
0ro174Y.gif

Gotta say I'm happy to hear someone on the Android side it trying to optimize the experience rather than just keep bumping up specs.
Don't get me wrong. I love my beefy specs, but a phone should last you two years without it getting bogged down on daily use.

If Moto NeXus has insane battery life on LTE, I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom