• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/06/moto-x-review-2013/

Phone never seems to get hot? Hnnnnnnnnnnngg.

I could fry an egg on my GN 4G when using Chrome or LTE.
0ro174Y.gif

sounds like you have a bad phone. My phone only gets hot when its in a bad signal area.

KageMaru

So I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks and now I'm going back and forth between upgrading to a W8 or an Android phone.

One of my concerns with the android phone is it seems like it's a crapshoot when picking a good phone. I work in the IT department of a company and by far we have the most issues with Android phones than IOS, Windows, or Blackberry.

A while ago a friend picked up the Note 2 and she's been very happy with it. Unlike her last phone (which would overheat, constantly restart, not receive phone calls, etc.) she hasn't had any issues with the Note 2. Well even after the contract renewel discount, it's still much more than I want to pay for a new phone.

So can anyone suggest any other quality android phones that are a bit cheaper? I'm looking to spend around $100 for the phone. Not the biggest phone person, so I care more about having something that's stable and reliable than having the fastest phone out there.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance. =)

Crisco

Banned
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/06/moto-x-review-2013/

Phone never seems to get hot? Hnnnnnnnnnnngg.

I could fry an egg on my GN 4G when using Chrome or LTE.
0ro174Y.gif

Why is Chrome Mobile such a damn resource hog anyway? I can do damn near anything else on my phone, including playing video with very reasonable battery loss, but I fire up Chrome to browse Gaf for a few minutes while waiting for my coffee to brew in the morning and I drop 10%. It's fucked.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks and now I'm going back and forth between upgrading to a W8 or an Android phone.

One of my concerns with the android phone is it seems like it's a crapshoot when picking a good phone. I work in the IT department of a company and by far we have the most issues with Android phones than IOS, Windows, or Blackberry.

A while ago a friend picked up the Note 2 and she's been very happy with it. Unlike her last phone (which would overheat, constantly restart, not receive phone calls, etc.) she hasn't had any issues with the Note 2. Well even after the contract renewel discount, it's still much more than I want to pay for a new phone.

So can anyone suggest any other quality android phones that are a bit cheaper? I'm looking to spend around $100 for the phone. Not the biggest phone person, so I care more about having something that's stable and reliable than having the fastest phone out there.

What provider?

Nexus 4? Not sure about American contracts but it's probably free on contract or just $350 off contract.

Get a GS4. I'm sure they can be found for $100 if you shop around. Though I wouldn't get it personally the Xperia Z is free upfront with T-Mobile.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why is Chrome Mobile such a damn resource hog anyway? I can do damn near anything else on my phone, including playing video with very reasonable battery loss, but I fire up Chrome to browse Gaf for a few minutes while waiting for my coffee to brew in the morning and I drop 10%. It's fucked.

Video is hardware accelerated, Chrome likely isn't on phones yet. That's the only explanation I can think of. It's probably why they want to switch to Aura everywhere.

$100 on contract in the USA? what carrier?

kehs

Banned
I hope the S5 has buttons on the edges and they do a full faced screen.

\/ Too bad they keep putting the wrongs buttons on there \/

After using a Galaxy Nexus for over a year, I still don't know the benefit of software buttons over hardware buttons. All they do is taking up screen real estate.

BFIB

Anyone else having package errors from netflix? Shows it needs to update, but every time I try to update, it says there's an error.

Vanillalite

all i gotta say is when they use Qualcomm again and you don't get factory images again, hold dat shit yo.

This I can totally agree with. Fuck going Qualcomm as it semi defeats the purpose of Nexus devices if they can't get the source material worked out.

Anyone else having package errors from netflix? Shows it needs to update, but every time I try to update, it says there's an error.

Does this happen with just Netflix or with everything on the play store?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait you actually want those buttons there?

Faceless is a shameless Samsung defender, pay him no heed.

Soft buttons are the future for a reason. They can adapt contextually to what's on screen: they go away during full screen photos and videos, the back button becomes a down caret when the keyboard is active, the legacy menu button can appear when necessary, and in the future, they can completely update it without worrying about hardware. Maybe in KLP the Home button doesn't make as much sense as a Google Now button. Probably a bad example, but Google are free to make as many advancements with Android navigation as they want without being anchored to hardware.

Well, ideally. Unfortunately they have to contend with idiot manufacturers who decide to do their own thing, thinking they know better than the company fucking making the operating system! What a bunch of chavs.

As for the "it takes up screen space!" argument, it's really a non-argument. It depends on if you like more bezel or more content in certain circumstances. Aside from that, Google could easily add swipe gesture for showing and hiding the navbar (anyone with a Chromebook Pixel knows what I'm talking about.)

IMO no... HTC One is just the better buy and device....

Except it has worse battery, non-stock Android, hundreds fewer customization options, and a weaker GPU. Sure.

Except it has worse battery, non-stock Android, hundreds fewer customization options, and a weaker GPU. Sure.

I hate to use the "just flash" argument but it's completely possible to flash the HTC One to GPE and even receive OTA updates on it. That's even more stock than the Moto X (and you'll actually be on the latest version of Android, lawl).

Faceless is a shameless Samsung defender, pay him no heed.

Soft buttons are the future for a reason. They can adapt contextually to what's on screen: they go away during full screen photos and videos, the back button becomes a down caret when the keyboard is active, the legacy menu button can appear when necessary, and in the future, they can completely update it without worrying about hardware. Maybe in KLP the Home button doesn't make as much sense as a Google Now button. Probably a bad example, but Google are free to make as many advancements with Android navigation as they want without being anchored to hardware.

Well, ideally. Unfortunately they have to contend with idiot manufacturers who decide to do their own thing, thinking they know better than the company fucking making the operating system! What a bunch of chavs.

As for the "it takes up screen space!" argument, it's really a non-argument. It depends on if you like more bezel or more content in certain circumstances. Aside from that, Google could easily add swipe gesture for showing and hiding the navbar (anyone with a Chromebook Pixel knows what I'm talking about.)
BUT THEY NEVER HAVE LESS BEZEL, WHY SPOUT PURE FICTION TO SUPPORT THIS?!?!?

those idiot manufacturers had stupid shit like hardware acceleration, good keyboards, pinch-to-zoom email, inline media controls, shortcut pulldowns, remote tracking/wipe, remote backup, quality camera software, video out, relevant bluetooth profiles, etc... all before Google thought that shit was a good idea too!

oh, and somehow they still think USB OTG is something worthwhile.

oh wait, one more thing. dial pad auto complete. welcome to Android 2.1 Eclair with TouchWiz, Google users!

yeah, that shit is about as stock as LG UI. will wait for the rom analysis to see if all of the internal the references to motoblur are still still still around

as one blogger once said "I'll make you a deal Motorola, I'll stop calling it "Blur" when you do. You guys need to update your file names, or, you know, just stop skinning Android."

They haven't touched the android stack, just added extra apps, different than futzing around with the framework like touchwiz/motoblur/sense.

that's what they said last year too. i wanna see the receipts.

Nicktendo86

They have the same exact GPU (Adreno 320).

This I can totally agree with. Fuck going Qualcomm as it semi defeats the purpose of Nexus devices if they can't get the source material worked out.

Does this happen with just Netflix or with everything on the play store?
Google need to throw their weight around a bit and say you are in the open handset alliance, play the fucking game. You have got a lot of money out of android, play ball.

Google need to throw their weight around a bit and say you are in the open handset alliance, play the fucking game. You have got a lot of money out of android, play ball.

it's Qualcomm. they run this shit. TI bowed out, Nvidia was hot garbage (are they still? TUNE IN!) nobody wants Intel, MediaTek is budget and even Samsung buys from them because Samsung can't match their volume.

Vanillalite

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd hope so when the X isn't even pushing a million pixels and the One is pushing over 2 million.

Plus the One doesn't have a shitastic AMOLED screen and it comes with 32 gigs of storage stock.

"shitastic"

Someone sipping the Topolsky kool-aid.
ZhUn5oY.png

Even he flip flopped in his review!

Verge Review said:
I know what you’re thinking: a 720p AMOLED display on a high-end Motorola phone? No thanks!

I was thinking the same thing when I got this device in my hands. And no, it’s not the best display on a smartphone that I’ve used. But it is far — far — from the worst. In fact, it’s slightly above average (certainly compared to Motorola’s past efforts in this area), though not a best-in-class performer like the HTC One’s Super LCD display. Even next to a Galaxy S4 — a phone with a truly improved AMOLED display — the Moto X screen seems acceptable. I did notice some slight color banding across the screen when solid colors (particularly grays) were visible in large areas, and as with most displays using this technology, colors are over-saturated, especially reds and oranges.

720P vs. 1080P screen.

Surely, you knew this?

Of course. How does that change what I said?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom