• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dude the general public goes and sees Michael Bay movies in droves. So they must like those too!

Most Linux users use Ubuntu and don't change it from Unity, so I suppose you could say

Unity = Michael Bay

I will use this argument in the future. Oh wait, no I won't, because I'm not a moron.

that is a flawless 3 word summary of the Moto X.

And one I would agree with.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Unity is actually functional though even if it might not be the best looking. That's more akin to Touchwiz!

Also from your review quote...

"In fact, it’s slightly above average (certainly compared to Motorola’s past efforts in this area), though not a best-in-class performer like the HTC One’s Super LCD display."

But get the Moto X cause you know it's not as good as the One.

Hey, guys. Let's not call each other names.

Come on it's Friday! Gotta have a little fun around here! :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Unity is actually functional though even if it might not be the best looking. That's more akin to Touchwiz!

It's certainly seems like Samsung and Canonical are competing to make the most aesthetically ugly shell of all-time.

Also from your review quote...

But get the Moto X cause you know it's not as good as the One.

Like any phone it depends on what you want. What I took issue with in your original reply is implying the One is unequivocally better. Well, no. There's some things the Moto X does better, and some things the One does better. So I pointed out what the Moto X has to offer. For a lot of people, the X may seem more appealing. Saying "Just get the One" is ignoring the differences between the two phones.

Come on it's Friday! Gotta have a little fun around here! :D

Nerfherder!

The HTC One has better specs, sound, etc

But the Moto X has some really cool features...

Damn you Moto for making it expensive on contract and limiting customization to ATT.

I guess I'll stick with my iPhone for a little while longer :(

thespot84

The HTC One has better specs, sound, etc

But the Moto X has some really cool features...

Damn you Moto for making it expensive on contract and limiting customization to ATT.

I guess I'll stick with my iPhone for a little while longer :(

yeah at this point i'm waiting for moto maker to become nonexclusive. If something better comes along (like a moto neXus hngg) then there's that. otherwise the x sounds like the best fit

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
9471937187_361ca8087a_z.jpg

ib2rEAOV74lfMX.gif

Joke!

yyzjohn

Banned
Got a problem with my phone and I have no idea what's causing it. Might be my provider (Rogers).

Anyway, this started happening recently. When I get a voicemail, I get the usual Android voicemail notification icon in the top bar (good!). I ALSO now get a friggin TEXT MESSAGE that says "1 voicemail. 0 urgent".

This never happened before! So I'm basically getting 2 notifications for each voicemail, the android one, and a bloody text message. This only started happening recently, like after I updated to 4.3 (I think).

Anyone know what the issue is?

Here's a screenshot:
LDpYOvL.png

So the Motorola rep is currently in the store showing off the Moto X. He says i'm not allowed to take pictures yet for some reason, so no proof sorry.

Anyway, here's my impressions, and they're mostly negative.

1. The size of the screen vs the size of the phone is fantastic. Hard to believe it's the same screen size as my One. However the phone itself looks cheap as all hell in person. It was the white one, so the white plastic looks very similar to the cheap iPhone pics that are circling the web. It looks like an entry level phone, not a mid/high end. Probably my worst issue with it to be honest.

2. He demonstrated "OK Google Now" quite a lot, and it was very hit and miss. May be due to being in a store, but he had to talk quite loud for it to be recognised and often got his words wrong. This however could be an issue with the microphone or Google Now's voice recognition.

3. The screen is very unremarkable. It looks nice but put against any of the leading phones on the market and you can just tell its not as good. He played a small clip from Star Wars during an intense lightsabre battle and the black crush on it was terrible.

4. He showed off the twist to enable camera feature, again hit and miss, you have to be pretty agressive with it for it to launch, and I can see the phone getting thrown a lot. Once the camera was launched it was pretty quick to take pics. One issue I did notice was that when I pressed on the screen to take a pitcure it comes up with a circle to show where you;ve pressed. The third time I did this the circle was nowhere near where I pressed, not sure what happened. Slow motion feature was cool though.

5. The notification on the screen was actually prettty impression, he claims it only uses 20% of the given pixels in that area of the screen to light it up, and it's very easy to read and even quicker to get into the texts once you press on the screen. Much better than a notification light thats for sure.

That's it really. I'd never buy this phone after seeing it in person, not at that price anyway. It truly is a mid-range phone, and the look of the phone is very off putting for me, regardless of the almost edge to edge screen. It also launched apps a little slower than my One when I did a basic speed test, but the swiping on the main screen seemed fast enough.

Pretty disappointed tbh.

Got a problem with my phone and I have no idea what's causing it. Might be my provider (Rogers).

Anyway, this started happening recently. When I get a voicemail, I get the usual Android voicemail notification icon in the top bar (good!). I ALSO now get a friggin TEXT MESSAGE that says "1 voicemail. 0 urgent".

This never happened before! So I'm basically getting 2 notifications for each voicemail, the android one, and a bloody text message. This only started happening recently, like after I updated to 4.3 (I think).

Anyone know what the issue is?

Hmm, I'm getting the same thing on Rogers after 4.3 too. I don't know if it's coincidence or 4.3 changed some setting.

Groof

Hey I said MOST not all! :p
<3

So the Motorola rep is currently in the store showing off the Moto X. He says i'm not allowed to take pictures yet for some reason, so no proof sorry.

1. The size of the screen vs the size of the phone is fantastic. Hard to believe it's the same screen size as my One. However the phone itself looks cheap as all hell in person. It was the white one, so the white plastic looks very similar to the cheap iPhone pics that are circling the web. It looks like an entry level phone, not a mid/high end. Probably my worst issue with it to be honest.

2. He demonstrated "OK Google Now" quite a lot, and it was very hit and miss. May be due to being in a store, but he had to talk quite loud for it to be recognised and often got his words wrong. This however could be an issue with the microphone or Google Now's voice recognition.

3. The screen is very unremarkable. It looks nice but put against any of the leading phones on the market and you can just tell its not as good. He played a small clip from Star Wars during an intense lightsabre battle and the black crush on it was terrible.

4. He showed off the twist to enable camera feature, again hit and miss, you have to be pretty agressive with it for it to launch, and I can see the phone getting thrown a lot. Once the camera was launched it was pretty quick to take pics. One issue I did notice was that when I pressed on the screen to take a pitcure it comes up with a circle to show where you;ve pressed. The third time I did this the circle was nowhere near where I pressed, not sure what happened. Slow motion feature was cool though.

5. The notification on the screen was actually prettty impression, he claims it only uses 20% of the given pixels in that area of the screen to light it up, and it's very easy to read and even quicker to get into the texts once you press on the screen. Much better than a notification light thats for sure.

That's it really. I'd never buy this phone after seeing it in person, not at that price anyway. It truly is a mid-range phone, and the look of the phone is very off putting for me, regardless of the almost edge to edge screen. It also launched apps a little slower than my One when I did a basic speed test, but the swiping on the main screen seemed fast enough.

Pretty disappointed tbh.

Throw that thing out the window. Ain't worth it.

yyzjohn

Banned
Hmm, I'm getting the same thing on Rogers after 4.3 too. I don't know if it's coincidence or 4.3 changed some setting.

Bless you. At least I know it's not just me. Friggin annoying as hell though. I was on the phone with Rogers tech support this morning and they couldn't figure it out.

Bless you. At least I know it's not just me. Friggin annoying as hell though. I was on the phone with Rogers tech support this morning and they couldn't figure it out.

It seems like certain phones (and ROMs from what I've read) can intercept those SMS' and ignore them. I am guessing some internal setting got changed in the update to 4.3 and Android is just letting the messages through now. It's annoying but thankfully I don't really use VM much.

Baconbitz

Banned
I have a giant issue with on screen keyboards. On my nexus 7 I tend to hit the "v" key when I mean to hit the space bar. Are there any good keyboard modifiers? I thought since this was a bigger screen size I wouldn't have this problem.

I have a giant issue with on screen keyboards. On my nexus 7 I tend to hit the "v" key when I mean to hit the space bar. Are there any good keyboard modifiers? I thought since this was a bigger screen size I wouldn't have this problem.

Kii Keyboard is pretty much the stock keyboard but with resizing and layout options.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It has higher benchmarks due to a lower-res screen. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

I guess we should all go back to WVGA screens, so we can have the BEST BENCHMARKS EVER.

You're trying to pretend the performance isn't better because it has a worse screen. Motorola knew what the pros and cons of pairing a lower res screen with a top of the line GPU were, and the pro is better graphics performance. dealwithit.gif

You're trying to pretend the performance isn't better because it has a worse screen. Motorola knew what the pros and cons of pairing a lower res screen with a top of the line GPU were, and the pro is better graphics performance. dealwithit.gif

Moto X2 to have a VGA screen confirmed.

Well when I see that the phone itself runs slower than my One, i'm not convinced.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Moto X2 to have a VGA screen confirmed.

I know being obnoxious is your schtick but there's no reason to be pedantic. 720p is easily good enough for almost everybody. It has almost 200,000 more pixels than the latest retina iPhone and those seem to be selling pretty well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sounds disappointing. Maybe another backing would feel better.

The only reason I'd get a new Nexus 10 is to finally fix these kernel panics. Random reboots galore. It's still not fixed.

Fox1304

Just bought this

mk908.jpg

Quad core, 2g ram, android 4.2.2, built in BT.

Anybody having experience with those Android Tv hdmi keys ?

Hoping to be able to play 1080p vids from the network, do some light gaming and emulation.
Would be fantastic !

Ps: first android device ever for me, no real idea of what I'm running into.

And one I would agree with.

the problem is they're charging a premium price. slightly above average Android mobile handsets retail at $99 w/2yr or less.

the Moto X is releasing at the same time as the LG G2, can you honestly recommend that over the LG G2 to anyone except those with tiny hands?

Pretty disappointed tbh.

HTC First.
Moto Xnd.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Depends on what the G2's battery life is and whether the person is into customization and stock Android. (That menu button in place of multitask is horrendous.)

the problem is they're charging a premium price. slightly above average Android mobile handsets retail at $99 w/2yr or less.

the Moto X is releasing at the same time as the LG G2, can you honestly recommend that over the LG G2 to anyone except those with tiny hands?

He's championing a phone he's never used, and probably never will. What do you think?

Well when I see that the phone itself runs slower than my One, i'm not convinced.

It's kinda funny, when I told the rep we'll be selling the phone for $189 on a two year, he laughed and said "wow, that's expensive". Haha.

Hahah...I knew those features will be hit or miss. So much for the better user experience people are spitting out.

Worst screen and performance than s4 and One...lol.

To be honest, as long as LG continues to relentlessly brutalize their OEM skin, I'd easily take the Moto X. Same goes for everything Samsung infects with their bottom-tier designers.

But a G2 Nexus? Sure, I'd be interested.

Just bought this

mk908.jpg

Quad core, 2g ram, android 4.2.2, built in BT.

Anybody having experience with those Android Tv hdmi keys ?

Hoping to be able to play 1080p vids from the network, do some light gaming and emulation.
Would be fantastic !

Ps: first android device ever for me, no real idea of what I'm running into.

How much is that? I'm looking for a low cost solution to stick into the car as a XBMC device. That looks like it might fit the bill. How do you control input to it?

Fox1304

How much is that? I'm looking for a low cost solution to stick into the car as a XBMC device. That looks like it might fit the bill. How do you control input to it?

Just bought it for 60$.
And for controls, usb or BT controllers. ( or what I'll do, unifying Logitech keyboard )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom