• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's depressing seeing how circular the discussions in this thread are, and how rarely (if ever) the discussions end with someone's mindset changed.

Hardware vs Software buttons

Amoled vs LCD

Stock vs Skinned

Plastic vs Non Plastics

Specs vs Experience

And so on. Do we actually learn anything from debate or is it just pointless posturing where both sides have fixed mindsets which won't be changed?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AndroidGAF I wanna buy my parents a pair of N4's (black for him, white for her, 'nache.) But I want them to be on prepaid plans. How flexible can you get with that on T-Mo?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Actually by prepaid I meant pay as you go.

WTF, brain.

Edit- Wait so prepaid is what I meant. Double WTF>

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have this, but the fine print says 4G for up to 5GB. Does it lower to 2G or 3G? This plan is AMAZING with portable hotspot. I like using my Nexus 7 more than my phone.

Does T-Mo consider HSPA+ "4G"? Cause otherwise I'm not going to go through the trouble of enabling LTE on the N4s.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.phonearena.com/news/When...will-not-be-Google-Edition-pure-stock_id46248

Moto X on Google Play will include active display, touchless control, and all the other Motorola goodies.
p0QHO.gif

Now they just need to confirm I can get it in wood and I'm in.

Laekon

Does T-Mo consider HSPA+ "4G"? Cause otherwise I'm not going to go through the trouble of enabling LTE on the N4s.
Yes T-Mobile is mostly HSPA+. I have this plan but coverage is spotty even 30 minutes north of L.A. They also don't allow international roaming.

Okay, this is driving me crazy. I feel like I'm missing something obvious and Google can't be this stupid.

How do I edit an existing event to change which calendar it should be associated with in Google Calendar on Android?

I created an event and accidentally put it under the wrong calendar and now want to edit and fix it. Absolutely no problem doing this on iPhone's calendar app but on Android it seems impossible to do with Google Calendar.

Husker86

Okay, this is driving me crazy. I feel like I'm missing something obvious and Google can't be this stupid.

How do I edit an existing event to change which calendar it should be associated with in Google Calendar on Android?

I created an event and accidentally put it under the wrong calendar and now want to edit and fix it. Absolutely no problem doing this on iPhone's calendar app but on Android it seems impossible to do with Google Calendar.

I was about to call you crazy and then tried to do it on my phone and couldn't.....oh Googs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gaiz I'm doing the Moto X |OT|. <3

I was about to call you crazy and then tried to do it on my phone and couldn't.....oh Googs.

Same here, lol.

Side note: I HAAAAAAAAATE the latest GCalendar icon. EVERY single other Google/Android icon I like or love, but this one I just can't STAND.

OK. I have a serious question: the iPhone camera is considered the best in phones by most people and most tech reviewers as a combination of image quality and user experience. Why is it so difficult for Samsung, Google, or Motorola to match it? Is it just that they don't have talented enough engineers or is there something else going on? I'm asking without sarcasm as I'm truly curious.

reKon

Banned
OK. I have a serious question: the iPhone camera is considered the best in phones by most people and most tech reviewers as a combination of image quality and user experience. Why is it so difficult for Samsung, Google, or Motorola to match it? Is it just that they don't have talented enough engineers or is there something else going on? I'm asking without sarcasm as I'm truly curious.

I thought the Galaxy S4/Nokia phones were regarded as the best by reviewers?

I thought the Galaxy S4/Nokia phones were regarded as the best by reviewers?
Yes, I kinda wasn't counting the Lumias as I was just wondering why Android manufacturers can't get their stuff together. But I think iPhone camera is still preferred over GS4's. I'll check some reviews more in depth now.

Threi

notag
Reading the reviews on the Google play store, and all but one were negative.
Went to read the reviews, first of all that isnt true at all...

but reading the reviews most of them are isolated issues that most people don't experience, or simply user error. I have been using Kii for a while now and the only 3rd party keyboard i can tolerate for more than a day...and trust me, i've tried em all.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yes, I kinda wasn't counting the Lumias as I was just wondering why Android manufacturers can't get their stuff together. But I think iPhone camera is still preferred over GS4's. I'll check some reviews more in depth now.

Low light is the area the iPhone usually wins. Honestly in light conditions some of the Android cameras are as good if not better.

Use your android phone.
Also with xbmc yatse is amazing.
Send to xbmc had me pushing videos to my tv for over a year now...

Is there a way to do WiFi Direct between the two? This is going to be in a car, so no WiFi LAN since there won't be a router. I'd simply have a phone and something running XBMC as the only two devices.

jokkir

Can someone explain to me the "AMOLED pixels aren't on when it's displaying black" thing? I've been using a Note 2 and a Nexus S for a while and they both have an AMOLED screen. When on a completely black background with only white showing, the black pixels were on to my knowledge as it was glowing when in pitch black. Are the pixels actually on or what? I'm getting confused by this >__>

kehs

Banned
Can someone explain to me the "AMOLED pixels aren't on when it's displaying black" thing? I've been using a Note 2 and a Nexus S for a while and they both have an AMOLED screen. When on a completely black background with only white showing, the black pixels were on to my knowledge as it was glowing when in pitch black. Are the pixels actually on or what? I'm getting confused by this >__>

The nexus s and the note 2 dont have the rest of the pixels on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

If any pixels are on, the entire screen uses a tiny bit of power and it emits a small amount of light. However, black pixels in this state use far less power than normal colored/white pixels.

Husker86

If any pixels are on, the entire screen uses a tiny bit of power and it emits a small amount of light. However, black pixels in this state use far less power than normal colored/white pixels.

The Galaxy Nexus never had pixels completely off which confused me. The GS4 does. I remember someone saying that the GN was made that way because they found out that always having the black pixels be on at a lower power actually increased battery life, but then why did they switch back to completely off for the GS4?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DroidLife: "Why the Moto X is My New Phone&#8230;Until the Next Nexus Arrives"

DroidLife said:
It sure sounds like the Galaxy S4 GPE is an almost perfect device, so why replace it with the Moto X? While they are mostly equal in my eyes, the Moto X has my attention right now because not only does it feel amazing in hand, I really want a custom phone. I know that sounds silly and probably shouldn&#8217;t be reason enough to buy a phone, but never before have we been able to have a phone that is 100% our own. It certainly sucks that MotoMaker is only available on AT&T at first, however, the idea is so refreshing that I need to give a shot. And after reviewing the phone and finding no issues in terms of performance, I&#8217;m willing to dive into one.

Sorry, LG G2 and Galaxy Note 3.

moto-x-650x432.jpg

That woven back.
AMzq9lr.gif

Matugi

So guys I'm kinda in a situation. My early upgrade begins on August 18th, the day after I move into college. Right now I'm stuck with an old Droid 3 that has a broken lock button, so I'm trying to get rid of that ASAP. The only problem is the only real phone available to me on Verizon that interests me is the GS4, and I'm not sure if I'd rather have that, the Droid MAXX, the HTC One, or the MotoX. The problem is that the latter three phones don't release until the end of the month, and even then I wouldn't be able to upgrade until labor day at the earliest.

Should I bite the bullet now and get a GS4 or holdout for one of the other phones?

Even though the moto x predictably disappointed me and became a pass I still have nice things to say about it. The obvious thing is the size of the phone but one other thing that deserves props IMO is the understated design. Not talking about hardware quality here, it's probably cheap feeling for sure, I just mean the design. It doesn't try too hard in any way. The size is right, there's nothing too flashy going on, no weird buttons in general, no weird button placement, basically there's just nothing crazy about it. And I kind of like that. It's no iphone design of course but I kind of miss understated designs. Even the nex4 is a bit much with the glass back and that dotted design and the shape is a tiny bit off for my tastes.

Hopefully nex5 (or onr of the next nexus phones if there are a few) take some pages out of its book....in some ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom