• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

The nexus s and the note 2 dont have the rest of the pixels on.

But you can see, even the black pixels, lit up in a dark room which would make Andrex post make sense:

If any pixels are on, the entire screen uses a tiny bit of power and it emits a small amount of light. However, black pixels in this state use far less power than normal colored/white pixels.

So it's on and uses less power? I know about using certain colors that use less power so it's like that instead of turning it completely off?

The Galaxy Nexus never had pixels completely off which confused me. The GS4 does. I remember someone saying that the GN was made that way because they found out that always having the black pixels be on at a lower power actually increased battery life, but then why did they switch back to completely off for the GS4?

The GS4 turns it completely off? Hmmm I need to see one now

tzare

It's depressing seeing how circular the discussions in this thread are, and how rarely (if ever) the discussions end with someone's mindset changed.

Hardware vs Software buttons

Amoled vs LCD

Stock vs Skinned

Plastic vs Non Plastics

Specs vs Experience

And so on. Do we actually learn anything from debate or is it just pointless posturing where both sides have fixed mindsets which won't be changed?
well, same as console debate, there are some topics and most debate is about that, plus everyone has preferences and and those are hard to change. and moto x for example helps to expand the talk with its custom processors and features
At least android ecosystem allows for a variety of topics unlike more restrictive options.
If priced well, I may buy moto x instead of other high end options later this year. If they fix the camera. I like the design and it's cpu is a step above my xperia t which is giving me great performance, so with better gpu and 2gb of ram will deliver for sure.

So guys I'm kinda in a situation. My early upgrade begins on August 18th, the day after I move into college. Right now I'm stuck with an old Droid 3 that has a broken lock button, so I'm trying to get rid of that ASAP. The only problem is the only real phone available to me on Verizon that interests me is the GS4, and I'm not sure if I'd rather have that, the Droid MAXX, the HTC One, or the MotoX. The problem is that the latter three phones don't release until the end of the month, and even then I wouldn't be able to upgrade until labor day at the earliest.

Should I bite the bullet now and get a GS4 or holdout for one of the other phones?

get the GS4 now. you still have .. what is it, 14 or 30 days to change, dunno which Verizon is, but it's one of those.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Even though the moto x predictably disappointed me and became a pass I still have nice things to say about it. The obvious thing is the size of the phone but one other thing that deserves props IMO is the understated design. Not talking about hardware quality here, it's probably cheap feeling for sure, I just mean the design. It doesn't try too hard in any way. The size is right, there's nothing too flashy going on, no weird buttons in general, no weird button placement, basically there's just nothing crazy about it. And I kind of like that. It's no iphone design of course but I kind of miss understated designs. Even the nex4 is a bit much with the glass back and that dotted design and the shape is a tiny bit off for my tastes.

Hopefully nex5 (or onr of the next nexus phones if there are a few) take some pages out of its book....in some ways.

I agree with Marquis, that dimple is so kawaii, uguu~

Even though the moto x predictably disappointed me and became a pass I still have nice things to say about it. The obvious thing is the size of the phone but one other thing that deserves props IMO is the understated design. Not talking about hardware quality here, it's probably cheap feeling for sure, I just mean the design. It doesn't try too hard in any way. The size is right, there's nothing too flashy going on, no weird buttons in general, no weird button placement, basically there's just nothing crazy about it. And I kind of like that. It's no iphone design of course but I kind of miss understated designs. Even the nex4 is a bit much with the glass back and that dotted design and the shape is a tiny bit off for my tastes.

Hopefully nex5 (or onr of the next nexus phones if there are a few) take some pages out of its book....in some ways.

size.

VMbPk3x.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I have a question on the Motorola lineup.

I have seen that the X will have the whole safe areas, the NFC token lock stuff, driving mode and whatnot. Will all that also be on the Droid line? I imagine so, as it seems those are virtually identical software wise.

I am pretty close to getting a Maxx for my wife. She needs the battery life as she always forgets to charge her phone.

I have seen that the X will have the whole safe areas, the NFC token lock stuff, driving mode and whatnot. Will all that also be on the Droid line? I imagine so, as it seems those are virtually identical software wise.

I am pretty close to getting a Maxx for my wife. She needs the battery life as she always forgets to charge her phone.

"Forgets" eh?

But yeah the Maxx is essentially an uglier Moto X with better battery life.

Why can't we have Maxx battery life in a Moto X shell :(

kehs

Banned

Only problem is Verizon in charge of software.

Cipherr

It's depressing seeing how circular the discussions in this thread are, and how rarely (if ever) the discussions end with someone's mindset changed.

Hardware vs Software buttons

Amoled vs LCD

Stock vs Skinned

Plastic vs Non Plastics

Specs vs Experience

And so on. Do we actually learn anything from debate or is it just pointless posturing where both sides have fixed mindsets which won't be changed?

Not sure theres a lot to 'learn' on some of those to be fair. Preferences are preferences. Stuff like onscreen buttons I just like, theres not really any discussion thats going to be had that will make me stop liking them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
"Forgets" eh?

But yeah the Maxx is essentially an uglier Moto X with better battery life.

Why can't we have Maxx battery life in a Moto X shell :(

I was wondering why one of the Moto X options is not a bigger battery in a slightly thicker version. Although it seems quite thick as it is at the center.

Only problem is Verizon in charge of software.

She wont mind that too much. As long as it works well day one, she will be satisfied. She mostly uses the phone, texting and internet anyway.

HawkeyeIC

So I lost my phone last night and it's dead so I can't track it....on verizon, what is my best option at this point? Used older phone?

Does Market Enabler work?

Not anymore. Google changed it to IP blocking a few months back, and they also block based on country of payment method.

In order to connect to the JP Google Play store, I have to VPN into a JP IP, create a new account, and not attach a payment method since I don't exactly have a JP credit card. If I accidentally connect to that account from any IP other than the VPN's IP, it will get changed to the store of the country I connected from.

Fuck you, Google. Seriously. FUCK YOU.

I use the TigerVPNs app to VPN to JP so I can connect to the JP Google Play store. I also have to keep 2 Google accounts on my phone because of this workaround. Sigh.

Not sure theres a lot to 'learn' on some of those to be fair. Preferences are preferences. Stuff like onscreen buttons I just like, theres not really any discussion thats going to be had that will make me stop liking them.

The very fact that you are indicating preferences cannot be changed or learned via discussion, evidence and logic is what worries me. Preferences can be changed if we keep open minds. I see a lot of closed ones on a consistent basis in this thread and little evidence of evolving opinion. It's entertaining for a while being involved in those discussions but when both sides are so entrenched in their ideologies that no amount of logic will change those views then it becomes depressing. Not unlike watching American Politics.

P.S None of this is saying your opinion on onscreen buttons is wrong. There are arguments for and against, it's a matter of weighing up the arguments and deciding based on that the probability of which opinion has more merit. Very few, if anyone in this thread does that.

The very fact that you are indicating preferences cannot be changed or learned via discussion, evidence and logic is what worries me. Preferences can be changed if we keep open minds. I see a lot of closed ones on a consistent basis in this thread and little evidence of evolving opinion. It's entertaining for a while being involved in those discussions but when both sides are so entrenched in their ideologies that no amount of logic will change those views then it becomes depressing. Not unlike watching American Politics.

P.S None of this is saying your opinion on onscreen buttons is wrong. There are arguments for and against, it's a matter of weighing up the arguments and deciding based on that the probability of which opinion has more merit. Very few, if anyone in this thread does that.
Pretty sure we had discussions on all of those subjects before. Specs vs experience during the Galaxy Nexus era. Stock vs Modified every day. Calling them 'skins' is a disservice to the work involved, there would be *at minimum* almost as much work and code involved even if they made their modified implementations look stock. Hardware vs Software buttons isn't even a fair fight because devices with hardware buttons can still have software buttons too. I can name at least ONE device as a reference. AMOLED vs LCD has always been divisive but honestly, the benefits of LCD shrink every day. Polycarbonate vs 'exotic' materials is interesting, but for many people it's also about removable batteries, not just a plastic fetish.

Pretty sure we had discussions on all of those subjects before. Specs vs experience during the Galaxy Nexus era. Stock vs Modified every day. Calling them 'skins' is a disservice to the work involved, there would be *at minimum* almost as much work and code involved even if they made their modified implementations look stock. Hardware vs Software buttons isn't even a fair fight because devices with hardware buttons can still have software buttons too. I can name at least ONE device as a reference. AMOLED vs LCD has always been divisive but honestly, the benefits of LCD shrink every day. Polycarbonate vs 'exotic' materials is interesting, but for many people it's also about removable batteries, not just a plastic fetish.

If you device is so badly designed that it requires both hardware and software buttons to achieve the function of a properly designed device that only requires software or hardware buttons to do the same thing, then you have done something horribly wrong.

My preference is for hardware buttons because they don't use up screen real estate, but I would be pretty aggravated if my phone that had hardware buttons also required a software button to appear because the people who designed the device were idiots.

Doopliss

If you device is so badly designed that it requires both hardware and software buttons to achieve the function of a properly designed device that only requires software or hardware buttons to do the same thing, then you have done something horribly wrong.

My preference is for hardware buttons because they don't use up screen real estate, but I would be pretty aggravated if my phone that had hardware buttons also required a software button to appear because the people who designed the device were idiots.
Having a contextual software button is a far better way to support legacy apps than permanently dedicating a hardware button for them.

Groof

Having a contextual software button is a far better way to support legacy apps than permanently dedicating a hardware button for them.

+1

then again, having menu being behind the long press of a button would be an even better solution.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wired: Motorola Moto X Review: A Taste of Tomorrow

Wired said:
This is a very nice phone, with very nice hardware. The Moto X has solid specs — like a 316 ppi 1280×720 display, a 1.7GHz dual-core Snapdragon processor, a 10-megapixel rear camera — but they aren’t what makes it special. The back is slightly curved, made from a grippable material that’s easy, and a pleasure, to hold onto. The 4.7-inch screen is in Goldilocks territory, at least for me. It feels just enough bigger than an iPhone screen to be useful, without going overboard like the Galaxy S4, which I find hard to hold and operate with one hand.

But what I did like, very much, is that none of this is gimmicky. Smartphone technology has matured so much in the last two years, and reached such a level of hardware parity that some manufacturers have responded by vomiting up useless application clutter all over their devices — like Samsung’s eye tracking “smart scroll” which is perhaps the stupidest goddamn feature anyone has ever put into anything. The Moto X doesn’t waste time with this nonsense.

Rating: 8 / 10

malfcn

Is there a way for the battery use app to actually show how much time I've used on battery. It says 100+ hours which is true, but I want to know each charge.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can't remember the last app I used that popped up the soft menu button.

Well, Facebook I guess, but I have to imagine sometime, someday they'll get with the times.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So, who's getting the new Nexus 10? At least, who's interested in it?

As a current N10 owner, I'd be happy with this tablet for a long while if it weren't for the constant ongoing random reboots. There's not really much I need in a tablet. Hell, I used an iPad for years. Of course, I'll wait to see what the new one puts out. I can't imagine it being a huge upgrade but we'll see.

I'd upgrade day one if it were 4:3 ratio but that's never going to happen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Since it's apparently Asus-made, I'm expecting it to be $350 to start. Otherwise I'll just keep looking at the new Nexus 7 with googly eyes.

So I posted this in another thread but was directed here, hoping someone can help out. I also forgot to add that I live in Australia, so release dates etc could be a factor in the recommendations.

"Sorry if this is a little of a thread hijack but I have my own smartphone question and it's sort of specific.

So I currently have a iPhone 4 that is now out of contract, so any smartphone I buy will have to be outright. I'm really starting to question waiting for and getting the new iPhone. I guess it's a little bit of iOS fatigue, the fact that I have an iPad as well, but most of all my hatred of iTunes on PC with its closed nature. Now the biggest thing that is holding me from switching to an android product is obviously trying to find the right phone for me, but funnily enough the open nature of android has a few downsides (even though the upsides are great).

For some reason I find the android interface to be...ugly... I don't even know how to articulate what I mean. The icons/apps just seem a complete mismatch of shapes and images, and everything just looks thrown together by committee rather than tailored around a theme... Does this make any sense? I've had little experience with android (maybe an hour all up between different phones) and it hasn't clicked so far. I checked out the HTC one that everyone raves about but that didn't do it for me either. The S4 seemed a little clunky when switching between pages, like it had some lag or something, and the Xperia Z I played with seemed a little more to my liking. Having said that, with the open nature of Andriod, am I able to customise the look/feel of the phone easily enough, so it has a more 'unified' UI?

I'll be looking to get the phone in the next couple of months or even as late as Christmas so if something is on the horizon let me know? Sorry for the long post, really hoping someone can understand what I mean and suggest a device accordingly.

Cheers."

Groof

I can't remember the last app I used that popped up the soft menu button.

Well, Facebook I guess, but I have to imagine sometime, someday they'll get with the times.
They've actually gotten rid of it in the latest "beta" releases. Still a shit app though,
So, who's getting the new Nexus 10? At least, who's interested in it?

As a current N10 owner, I'd be happy with this tablet for a long while if it weren't for the constant ongoing random reboots. There's not really much I need in a tablet. Hell, I used an iPad for years. Of course, I'll wait to see what the new one puts out. I can't imagine it being a huge upgrade but we'll see.

I'd upgrade day one if it were 4:3 ratio but that's never going to happen.
If it'll be cheapish and widely supported (as in actually released globally) I'd consider it. But I get so much out of my N7 I'm hard pressed to find proper use cases out of the bigger form factor other than videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom