• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason I find the android interface to be...ugly... I don't even know how to articulate what I mean. The icons/apps just seem a complete mismatch of shapes and images, and everything just looks thrown together by committee rather than tailored around a theme... Does this make any sense? I've had little experience with android (maybe an hour all up between different phones) and it hasn't clicked so far. I checked out the HTC one that everyone raves about but that didn't do it for me either. The S4 seemed a little clunky when switching between pages, like it had some lag or something, and the Xperia Z I played with seemed a little more to my liking. Having said that, with the open nature of Andriod, am I able to customise the look/feel of the phone easily enough, so it has a more 'unified' UI?
"
The solution to your “fugly UI issues” are simply two things:

1 Using custom launcher
2 Finding theme/icon set you like out of the gazillion of choices out there or make your own

There’s nothing sadder than going Android and thinking your experience is limited to the stock choices of Sony, Samsung, HTC etc. So in a way, there’s no such thing as an ugly android interface imo. It can be as ugly or as beautiful as you want it to be. The limit is your imagination. Go search and look at the Android customisations thread if you haven’t already.

Some popular launchers to try are Nova, Apex, Holo, Go, etc. If you want something fanciful, you can give Next 3D launcher a spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mjYORVVRc

The solution to your “fugly UI issues” are simply two things:

1 Using custom launcher
2 Finding theme/icon set you like out of the gazillion of choices out there or make your own

There’s nothing sadder than going Android and thinking your experience is limited to the stock choices of Sony, Samsung, HTC etc. So in a way, there’s no such thing as an ugly android interface imo. It can be as ugly or as beautiful as you want it to be. The limit is your imagination. Go search and look at the Android customisations thread if you haven’t already.

Some popular launchers to try are Nova, Apex, Holo, Go, etc. If you want something fanciful, you can give Next 3D launcher a spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mjYORVVRc

Cheers mate. So with a custom launcher, what does that actually mean for the feature of the phone itself? Will the apps behave differently or does it just change the look of the icons etc?

jokkir

Cheers mate. So with a custom launcher, what does that actually mean for the feature of the phone itself? Will the apps behave differently or does it just change the look of the icons etc?

Custom launcher is just another launcher you can use to replace the already existing one on your phone. This essentially replaces the desktop and app drawer views and usually adds a bit more customizability. That doesn't mean you get new icons out of the box when you download and install the launcher but it does give you the option to replace the look of the icon either view downloading icon packs or setting it up yourself manually. You can also modify things such as animation speed, scroll animation, column/width height on either the desktop & app drawer and more.

So no, it won't make apps behave differently.

tzare

Custom launcher is just another launcher you can use to replace the already existing one on your phone. This essentially replaces the desktop and app drawer views and usually adds a bit more customizability. That doesn't mean you get new icons out of the box when you download and install the launcher but it does give you the option to replace the look of the icon either view downloading icon packs or setting it up yourself manually. You can also modify things such as animation speed, scroll animation, column/width height on either the desktop & app drawer and more.

So no, it won't make apps behave differently.
AFAIK a custom launcher on a non rooted smartphone doesn't stop the original launcher to be using some memory unless there's a way to disable it. It is probably meaningless on a device with 2gb+ ram but may may be an issue on older phones

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So, who's getting the new Nexus 10? At least, who's interested in it?

As a current N10 owner, I'd be happy with this tablet for a long while if it weren't for the constant ongoing random reboots. There's not really much I need in a tablet. Hell, I used an iPad for years. Of course, I'll wait to see what the new one puts out. I can't imagine it being a huge upgrade but we'll see.

I'd upgrade day one if it were 4:3 ratio but that's never going to happen.

I sort of want one just to have the crazy big high res screen. The actual use cases for it over a Nexus 7 are just a bigger screen for Netflix/ESPN3 which I can still do on the 7.

For day to day use the smaller form factor of the Nexus 7/ iPad Mini just is way more usable. This fact plus the price differential to move from the smaller to the larger tablet size is just sort of makes it a why bother.

Cipherr

The very fact that you are indicating preferences cannot be changed or learned via discussion, evidence and logic is what worries me. Preferences can be changed if we keep open minds. I see a lot of closed ones on a consistent basis in this thread and little evidence of evolving opinion. It's entertaining for a while being involved in those discussions but when both sides are so entrenched in their ideologies that no amount of logic will change those views then it becomes depressing. Not unlike watching American Politics.

P.S None of this is saying your opinion on onscreen buttons is wrong. There are arguments for and against, it's a matter of weighing up the arguments and deciding based on that the probability of which opinion has more merit. Very few, if anyone in this thread does that.

Comparing stuff like physical and on screen buttons to politics is a stretch. These aren't issues that are extremely deep or multifaceted. Its about buttons... do I want physical or onscreen. The people discussing them know all the pros and cons already. There's little to no unknowns or surprises to be discovered there. I already have all of the information needed, and I have a preference. That's all there is to it.

Also, on minor issues like that (buttons), we are just having fun most of the time because we all know most have likely decided on the form factor they like. Its not like we are at each others throats or anything. Its not hostile. Having a preference after considering all alternatives, and not 'changing your mind' after a discussion with someone about those bullet points does not mean you have a closed mind.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I sort of want one just to have the crazy big high res screen. The actual use cases for it over a Nexus 7 are just a bigger screen for Netflix/ESPN3 which I can still do on the 7.

For day to day use the smaller form factor of the Nexus 7/ iPad Mini just is way more usable. This fact plus the price differential to move from the smaller to the larger tablet size is just sort of makes it a why bother.

Funny, I feel the same way about the Nexus 7. Why bother with it? It's barely bigger than my phone. The iPad mini, sure. Its screen size is much more usable. But the 7 is tiny.

Vanillalite

Funny, I feel the same way about the Nexus 7. Why bother with it? It's barely bigger than my phone. The iPad mini, sure. Its screen size is much more usable. But the 7 is tiny.

Ideally we'd have a Nexus tablet the size of the iPad mini or larger Kindle. That I'd be all over. 7 is small, but I've used the OG Nexus 7 a bunch which still felt like a big screen step from my One X.

I'd be all over an 8 inch Nexus device though.

PS: I have neither. Then again a lot of my electronics are older.

reKon

Banned
IPad size would be perfect, but even so this is much bigger than my HTC One and I've been pretty satisfied. This tablet is nearly perfect because of its incredible screen, great performance, solid battery life, and good build quality and feel.

No, apps will not behave differently. Custom launcher is just another UI overlay that you can use instead of the one that came with your phone, say Samsung’s Touchwiz UI. if you’re asking whether it will affect certain key features like Multi-window, Airview or Smartstay etc. the answer is NO. Special features like Air gestures etc. still work fine regardless of whether you’re using Nova launcher or Touchwiz (as long as you’re using the stock browser/gallery), because they’re part of the system’s features, not the UI.

Outside of some very small UI-specific functionality, I can’t think of any (it’s been a long time since I’ve used Touchwiz), other than perhaps custom actions like moving widgets by tilting phone. Main thing is with launchers, you get lots of benefits of customisation, not just changing look of icons. Things like custom X, Y grid on home as well as app drawer, scrollable docks, swipe to launch etc. You have a lot to gain and little to lose.

L034

Go to Google Play, go to My Apps through the menu and click on the "All" tab.

I had found that, but that page shows all apps that were at one point installed one a device linked with one's Google account, but unfortunately using the search on that page searches through the entire play store and not through those apps

Does anyone have any opinions on the LG Optimus V?

it was a great low end phone two years ago.

Yep, I still have this POS because it's on the grandfathered $25/month plan. Still using it while I mull over whether I want to upgrade my phone with Virgin Mobile and pay $35/M, wait for price cuts on phones/black friday or switch to the $30/M T-Mobile plan with a Nexus, but a new Nexus might come out soon, etc.

Biggest flaws: Embarrassingly low amount of memory available for apps.
Stuck on Froyo 2.2.
Video apps like Netflix, Hulu+, and HBO Go don't work.

If you get it now you pretty much have to root it to get any useful functionality out of it. I've searched and read forums and can't figure it out for the life of me, if only I could find a simple guide on YouTube for rooting this phone using OSX but no luck. The phone is way too old now to have any relevant online support and I gave up.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC One Max:

T6.png

Vanillalite

Solid, but hard to recommend large phones other than the Note. The Note having the Wacom Stylus + extra software puts it ahead of anything else that is just a larger phone.

Yep, I still have this POS because it's on the grandfathered $25/month plan. Still using it while I mull over whether I want to upgrade my phone with Virgin Mobile and pay $35/M, wait for price cuts on phones/black friday or switch to the $30/M T-Mobile plan with a Nexus, but a new Nexus might come out soon, etc.

Biggest flaws: Embarrassingly low amount of memory available for apps.
Stuck on Froyo 2.2.
Video apps like Netflix, Hulu+, and HBO Go don't work.

If you get it now you pretty much have to root it to get any useful functionality out of it. I've searched and read forums and can't figure it out for the life of me, if only I could find a simple guide on YouTube for rooting this phone using OSX but no luck. The phone is way too old now to have any relevant online support and I gave up.
Well with T-Mobile prepaid you get a lot of options! Nexus 4! Maybe a new Nexus 4 or 5 this fall... While Virgin has started releasing 4G LTE devices. My sister has a Galaxy Victory 4G LTE and it's pretty nice. The LG Optimus F3 has nice specs for its price too, and the GS3 could be who knows what price on Black Friday or Cyber Monday...

Solid, but hard to recommend large phones other than the Note. The Note having the Wacom Stylus + extra software puts it ahead of anything else that is just a larger phone.
Indeed. That's the thing I don't get about so many of the 'Note competitors'. You have to qualify before you can challenge the king.

Well with T-Mobile prepaid you get a lot of options! Nexus 4! Maybe a new Nexus 4 or 5 this fall... While Virgin has started releasing 4G LTE devices. My sister has a Galaxy Victory 4G LTE and it's pretty nice. The LG Optimus F3 has nice specs for its price too, and the GS3 could be who knows what price on Black Friday or Cyber Monday...
Yeah, it's hard to rationalize getting a $300+ phone on Virgin when I can get an unlocked Nexus 4 (possibly 5 if it exists and the price stays the same). I wanted to at least get a former flagship like the GS3, GS2 or Evo V if they still sold it. I can't get it now though because I know there's going to be some crazy deals for the holidays, I got my mom the HTC One V for $50 last year, they sell it for $150 today.

I'd go out right now and get one of the Kyocera's for cheap just to get on ICS but my plan is going to get bumped up by $10 which I don't want to do unless I'm getting LTE in return (even though the nearest Sprint LTE market is 60 miles away, lol).

Why'd they have to go and lock the prepaid thread? Now I have to get laughed at by all the 1%'ers here.

Yeah, it's hard to rationalize getting a $300+ phone on Virgin when I can get an unlocked Nexus 4 (possibly 5 if it exists and the price stays the same). I wanted to at least get a former flagship like the GS3, GS2 or Evo V if they still sold it. I can't get it now though because I know there's going to be some crazy deals for the holidays, I got my mom the HTC One V for $50 last year, they sell it for $150 today.

I'd go out right now and get one of the Kyocera's for cheap just to get on ICS but my plan is going to get bumped up by $10 which I don't want to do unless I'm getting LTE in return (even though the nearest Sprint LTE market is 60 miles away, lol).

Why'd they have to go and lock the prepaid thread? Now I have to get laughed at by all the 1%'ers here.

i have no idea, shoulda moved it to community or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom