• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

We need more wacky colour combinations. Like a One with green front, red back and black bands. They could call it the watermelon edition.

Unicorn

So what are the feature differences between the Play store edition and the Moto edition? Has there been mention of Moto maker exclusivity being timed? I'm looking to bail out on Verizon in the next year. Honestly I'd describe myself as someone who isn't really a specs guy when it comes to phones. The voice commands are things I've been warming up to over the past year or so but the S3 really doesn't perform well with their S voice and I love the Google search with voice which Moto X seems to have done what I've been wanting a phone to do by marrying the two. Now just let me change that keyphrase so I can name my phone. But yeah, I want to bail on Verizon and I'm hearing good things about non contract unlimited plans in the USA now. Just worried about that off contract price paired with my early leave of Verizon (jacking the price up since I'm losing employee discount so I want to get out asap).

Copied from Moto X reveal thread. Maybe this will be more active

SimleuqiR

kehs

Banned
So what are the feature differences between the Play store edition and the Moto edition? Has there been mention of Moto maker exclusivity being timed? I'm looking to bail out on Verizon in the next year. Honestly I'd describe myself as someone who isn't really a specs guy when it comes to phones. The voice commands are things I've been warming up to over the past year or so but the S3 really doesn't perform well with their S voice and I love the Google search with voice which Moto X seems to have done what I've been wanting a phone to do by marrying the two. Now just let me change that keyphrase so I can name my phone. But yeah, I want to bail on Verizon and I'm hearing good things about non contract unlimited plans in the USA now. Just worried about that off contract price paired with my early leave of Verizon (jacking the price up since I'm losing employee discount so I want to get out asap).

When the motox goes for sale on the play store it'll be the regular moto edition, there's won't be a google experience version.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Crap, if the camera and battery are noticeably better than the X...

When the motox goes for sale on the play store it'll be the regular moto edition, there's won't be a google experience version.

Well, it won't have any carrier bloatware, but it will have active display/touchless control. Aside from those two things it's pretty much stock.

(HTC One GPE has some Beats software in it too, so it's not "totally Google experience" either.)

AndyD

aka andydumi

Oh so no terrible carrier skin will be applied, so what's been shown is the base phone with a feature set every carrier will get?

That is correct. The only additions are stuff like Verizon Manager, Music and so forth. But there are no "skins" on top that have been announced or shown.

And Moto Maker will come to all in November I think was said.

Fatalah

Can someone remind me why it's so impossible for a Nexus CDMA phone to be released?

Excluding the added cost of manufacturing CDMA variations, would Verizon or Sprint stop it from being sold?

kehs

Banned
Can someone remind me why it's so impossible for a Nexus CDMA phone to be released?

Excluding the added cost of manufacturing CDMA variations, would Verizon or Sprint stop it from being sold?

CDMA networks register every device on their networks in order for them to work. So Google has to submit the phone to the specific carriers for approval, Verizon are assholes. Sprint are better about it, but they still have to approve it before it allowed on the network.

CDMA sucks.

kehs

Banned
Speaking of shitty verizon, if someone comes across a good deal for an off contract verizon phone, pass it along please. =D

Groof

Sounds like a G2. Last year they gimped the N4 by leaving out LTE. This year I think they'll retain LTE but will nerf it with an S4 Pro chipset instead, maybe S600 if they are feeling gener. And a lower resolution camera.

They'll do something, LG won't want an identical G2 for half the price available.

(and I'm fine with that if it's the same price as the N4.)

I doubt they'd to S4 Pro two years in a row, so my guess is a 600.

TehPabz

So is it worth it to root and flash a Samsung Galaxy s4? i'll be getting mine tomorrow and I'm contemplating if i should flash it. hmmm decisions decisions.

Is the 5.2" LG G2 screen no too big for a Nexus device I would think Google would want to keep it at 4.7", to preserve the ability to use it one handed for the majority of people.

malfcn

That was an adventure..applying those things suck. Had a three pack and wasted one. And I think I found a speck on my screen I couldn't remove, but it was super tiny and hard to see.

SimleuqiR

Sounds like a G2. Last year they gimped the N4 by leaving out LTE. This year I think they'll retain LTE but will nerf it with an S4 Pro chipset instead, maybe S600 if they are feeling gener. And a lower resolution camera.

They'll do something, LG won't want an identical G2 for half the price available.

(and I'm fine with that if it's the same price as the N4.)

You might be on to something...

"Taken with an unreleased device."

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope not. Total downgrade from Nexus 4.

Nexus 4 is the third greatest phone of all time, right after the OG iPhone and the Sidekick.

Fatalah

Thanks for the answers.

CDMA networks register every device on their networks in order for them to work. So Google has to submit the phone to the specific carriers for approval, Verizon are assholes. Sprint are better about it, but they still have to approve it before it allowed on the network.

CDMA sucks.

also, CDMA sucks

well, at least Verizon is going to be VoLTE next year, bye CDMA/VZW

I fucking love my n4

I'm ready for an N5 now. Bigger battery and 5" 1080p screen (in that order of priority).

If I find a cheap Xperia ZL in my SE Asia travels next month I will be sorely tempted.

Edit: just noticed the mobile site no longer highlight your quotes by other users.... :-

I'm ready for an N5 now. Bigger battery and 5" 1080p screen (in that order of priority).

If I find a cheap Xperia ZL in my SE Asia travels next month I will be sorely tempted.

Edit: just noticed the mobile site no longer highlight your quotes by other users.... :-

OK so it's not just me. I didn't want to make a thread in case it was. It's bloody awful.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
So is it worth it to root and flash a Samsung Galaxy s4? i'll be getting mine tomorrow and I'm contemplating if i should flash it. hmmm decisions decisions.

Try out Touchwiz for a day or two. I hated it (came from a G-Nex) and rooted/flashed the Google Edition Rom onto there. Love the GS4 with Google Edition. Its a thing of beauty.

Nicktendo86

I only got mine recently so still really happy, battery life fine I get a full day of use easy and the screen is amazing after living with the galaxy nexus. Will skip the 5 and get the 6!

Edit: anyone checked out the yahoo weather app just released for android? Looks fucking gorgeous

Can you guys tell me something about Qi receivers for the GS4? Do third parties' work well as the Samsung one? Do they all fit well in the original backplate? I've never used the tech before but want to get one for my dad.

I love my Android phone, but what I do like about the iPhone is how you can opening a notification directly into an app. I wish they could do something similar for Android. Maybe having your notification bar being available on the lock screen or something?

Unicorn

I love my Android phone, but what I do like about the iPhone is how you can opening a notification directly into an app. I wish they could do something similar for Android. Maybe having your notification bar being available on the lock screen or something?
Pretty sure my s3 does this.

Pretty sure my s3 does this.

I have a stock GS3. While it's true that it'll open up messages and missed calls (along with a list of apps I can customize to appear on the lock screen), if something appears in my notification bar, there's no way to access it without unlocking my phone, dropping the notification bar, and then selecting the notification.

"There's got to be a better way!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom