• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

Hi Gaf, not sure where to ask this, but how can I set my phone to only use the data for google maps?
Going on a short trip but I don't want to use too much roaming data.
Try navfree, download necessary maps, and done. Gmaps, i do not know why, does not allow to dwl some places, i cannot dwl maps in spain, weird

The black area wouldn't even be that bad, if the software would recognize it. But it thinks the display is perfectly round, which leads to crap like this.

ieFb6IQ.jpg

Not a huge deal, but still annoying to look at.

kap

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The black area wouldn't even be that bad, if the software would recognize it. But it thinks the display is perfectly round, which leads to crap like this.

http://i.imgur.com/ieFb6IQ.jpg[/MG]

Not a huge deal, but still annoying to look at.[/QUOTE]

To me, it's a huge deal in how they cared about this watch. I understand not waiting forever for a phone. They're fairly mature these days, compared to what it used to be. But these watches are reiterating rapidly. It's not a bad time to sit back and wait. Like I said, Apple will lead the way, if they do release a wearable. It will change the landscape big time and other companies will hopefully follow suit as they always do.

To me, it's a huge deal in how they cared about this watch. I understand not waiting forever for a phone. They're fairly mature these days, compared to what it used to be. But these watches are reiterating rapidly. It's not a bad time to sit back and wait. Like I said, Apple will lead the way, if they do release a wearable. It will change the landscape big time and other companies will hopefully follow suit as they always do.

To me it's not a big deal precisely because they're reiterating rapidly. We might even get a "fixed" version at CES or MWC. I can't see Apple doing a proper round watch (haven't read any of the rumors, though). But then again, a wristband like one of the Gears or whatever MS is working on doesn't sound great either.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What's a good file transferring app? I ordered a new charger cable since my PC isn't recognizing my phone. It worked the other day. I wanted to transfer music over mainly.

What's a good file transferring app? I ordered a new charger cable since my PC isn't recognizing my phone. It worked the other day. I wanted to transfer music over mainly.

Alot of people use Airdroid, but I use Wifi File Explorer PRO. The latter isn't free though, but it is much more simple and that's the way I like it.

this_guy

Anyways time to clear things up.
I never said G3 had poor battery life, just wasted potential. That's it. And we're already seeing the future implications, other OEMs are touting their upcoming QHD screens. What a waste.

Every time someone asks about the G3 you list battery life as a negative despite the fact that it still has better battery life than most phones out there. Then you schill for the Moto X and list battery life as a positive despite the fact that battery life is nothing special.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Airdroid is da bomb for this yo!

PS: The problem with the G3 is the screen sucks. Sure it has all those pixels, but the rest of the screen has mad issues.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Airdroid works perfect.

I the free version of Wifi transfer already and it feels antiquated compared to Airdroid. And I can actually make folders where I want, unlike Wifi Transfer.

Any tips on saving battery? I got a new one and it dwindles down in a day or so. I disable tons of notifications as well.

Hey dudes, I'd post this in the S4 thread but it seems to be dead.

I started having issues with my Samsung S4 today, here's a summary:
  • The phone started getting so hot that I can barely hold it in my hand
  • It won't charge at all when it's on, and will only charge very slowly when it's off.
  • I've tried turning the phone off, removing the battery and letting it all cool down but it kept charging slowly and would get hot as soon as I turned it back on
  • I've tried looking up the "symptoms" but I've found nothing that resembles my problem.
  • On top of all this I'm not getting any service when it's on, everything else works though, even wi-fi.

Right now I've decided to let it (very slowly) charge up to a 100% and turning it on but I'm expecting no changes. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has a solution, I'm afraid the battery is fucked though, and the warranty on that expired 6 months ago.

Pachimari

So I tried keeping a look at how my battery fared in my LG G3, and it actually lasted a long while, even though I didn't use it much, because I haven't been to work today:

The screen and Android OS takes up most of the battery usage.

Do Knock Code use battery as well? As it have to analyse if the screen is being double-tapped.

Groof

So I tried keeping a look at how my battery fared in my LG G3, and it actually lasted a long while, even though I didn't use it much, because I haven't been to work today:

The screen and Android OS takes up most of the battery usage.

Do Knock Code use battery as well? As it have to analyse if the screen is being double-tapped.

What was your screen on time?

Also I don't think knock code takes up enough battery to be considered a "drain."

thespot84

I would assume the new Moto X would have the same thing as the first one in terms of colors/accents/customization and whatnot?

they axed the plant in texas, which how I understood it made the customization doable (if it was customized in asia it would take weeks to get the phone or be more expensive for air freight). So honestly not sure

they axed the plant in texas, which how I understood it made the customization doable (if it was customized in asia it would take weeks to get the phone or be more expensive for air freight). So honestly not sure

Honestly, I hope Lenovo pays money to keep it open. The customization thing is so damn cool.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just get a new phone or identify your problem apps. Download better battery stats.

NotBacon

Every time someone asks about the G3 you list battery life as a negative despite the fact that it still has better battery life than most phones out there. Then you schill for the Moto X and list battery life as a positive despite the fact that battery life is nothing special.

That's not what I said but alright.
Your opinion has been noted. Literally, I just wrote it down in my Motorola notebook sitting next to my Moto X poster by my Motorola coffee mug.

That's a horrible solution.

Yeah especially on a modern flagship. He shouldn't even have to worry about apps. I'm betting it's faulty.

that shitty moto 360 contest using the yo app is so shitty. it's basically a first come first serve thing. they'll yo you but make you claim it via a website. i thought i won at first only to be greeted with all watches were claimed. fuck off motorola.

Pachimari

I always used 3rd party with my Nokia cellphones but I guess it's more dangerous with the smartphones nowadays?

I also don't know how to read the information in the BetterBatteryStats app, so I have tried removing the Twitter and Gmail widgets from my springboard.

NotBacon

Gahhh just read up on the Snapdragon 810 and it's making me regret getting a phone this year. At least my contract is up in december so i'll be close to the release of handsets with the 810. But the first half of the year is always Samsung/HTC time. Gahhhhhhh.

I have had my iPhone 5 for two years now, and I am thinking about moving to Android. Mainly because I'd like to use Google's services more often, Google Now and Chrome especially and like the look of Android L (when is this set to release?).

I will obviously wait until the iPhone 6 is announced to see if it is any good, but I still think I will change to Android.

I don't really know what phone to get, though. Should I be waiting a couple of months for any new phones to be announced (next Google Nexus) or is September a good time to get a new Android phone?

Because of my inexperience of Android, I've always heard that different phones get different Android OS versions at different times. Is this still true? I've also heard the stock OS modifications on Samsung phones is bad (TouchWiz?). Do most phones come with modified OS?

Jzero

that shitty moto 360 contest using the yo app is so shitty. it's basically a first come first serve thing. they'll yo you but make you claim it via a website. i thought i won at first only to be greeted with all watches were claimed. fuck off motorola.

Same. I should have ran out of class and claimed it fast :(

NotBacon

I have had my iPhone 5 for two years now, and I am thinking about moving to Android. Mainly because I'd like to use Google's services more often, Google Now and Chrome especially and like the look of Android L (when is this set to release?).

I will obviously wait until the iPhone 6 is announced to see if it is any good, but I still think I will change to Android.

I don't really know what phone to get, though. Should I be waiting a couple of months for any new phones to be announced (next Google Nexus) or is September a good time to get a new Android phone?

Because of my inexperience of Android, I've always heard that different phones get different Android OS versions at different times. Is this still true? I've also heard the stock OS modifications on Samsung phones is bad (TouchWiz?). Do most phones come with modified OS?

Wait until late september when most new ones have been released. Samsung, HTC, Sony, and LG modify the OS to look and act different. Samsung is the worst offender. Don't get a Samsung, unless you enjoy something slow and confusing that looks like a toddler designed it.

If you want a fast and simple experience, get a Nexus or Motorola. HTC/Sony/LG are not too bad either, but they aren't as simple.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
With the way I use it I generally have enough on screen time to last me a day. Also seeing that I use it for Chromecast my video viewing time isn't as draining and I can put it in the charging cradle then.

It's about on par with my previous phone, though at least with the wireless charging cradle I more often than not remember to let it charge overnight. :p

Cipherr

I'll just buy these third party batteries from Amazon and replace during the day.

No.. sorry but no. That looks borderline defective. Id contact customer service or the purchase location and get a replacement. You don't buy a brand new phone (especially one that is known to have great battery life) only to end up lugging spare batteries around all day, thats crazy.

Pachimari

No.. sorry but no. That looks borderline defective. Id contact customer service or the purchase location and get a replacement. You don't buy a brand new phone (especially one that is known to have great battery life) only to end up lugging spare batteries around all day, thats crazy.
But it's normal. Apparently the 16gb version isn't as power efficient.

I also bought the phone because it has a replaceable battery so that I can change anytime during the day. I can store it in my wallet.

But I don't know where to find an original battery for the LG G3?

Cipherr

That LG is also now the new best looking smartwatch. You wouldn't even know it was anything other than a normal watch by looking at it. Wow.

If you like the look of L than you need to get a Moto or Nexus. All others will screw with the look of L and it won't be the same.

Antiwhippy

But it's normal. Apparently the 16gb version isn't as power efficient.

I also bought the phone because it has a replaceable battery so that I can change anytime during the day. I can store it in my wallet.

But I don't know where to find an original battery for the LG G3?

I would just buy a portable charger honestly.

Antiwhippy

Honestly my experience with LG and Xperia is that they are pretty much just stock android with little tweaks here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom