• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
More proof why Dolphin Browser is garbage https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/26sCCvTwba1

Also, Moto 270 rumors http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2es94j/rumor_information_regarding_the_motorola_360/

The price for purchase is $249.99 USD. Cost at the retail level for major distributors is in the vicinity of $200, a relatively small margin.
The release date, judging by shipping times will be September 4th as speculated.
This is speculation, but I have reason to believe that the only retail outlet to carry it at launch will be Best Buy, not including the Google Play Online Store. All other retail outlets that will be carrying it (Amazon, Cell Stores, as well as Office Depot and Staples stores) will have a second launch date, approximately one month after the initial release, October 4th.
Again, this is primarily speculation, but I do trust the source. Hopefully this will help if you want to make plans to swing by a Best Buy location on the fourth at opening.
EDIT: I spread some misinformation here. There will be multiple models available at launch. I still am under the impression that Best Buy will be the only B&M to stock it on launch day, though that is speculation.
I do now have concrete MSRP on various models and peripherals. Keep in mind this is just what the company who I am with will stock. Other stores might have different stock. All prices are USD.
Unit and Peripherals:
M360 Black and Gray Leather $250
M360 Dark and Light Chrome $300
Wireless charger and watch stand $40
Watch bands:
Cognac watchband $30
"Grey L" watchband $30
Black watchband $30
"Dark M" watchband $80
"Light" watchband $80

Pachimari

I don't want a portable charger in my back pocket.

I rather just have an extra battery in mutt wallet.

Unless there are portable chargers so small that I can have it in my pocket.

malfcn

In a bizarre event my OGP drained itself 40% and died in 3 hours while it wasn't used.
Hope nothing bad has happened to it.

$30 accessory? no doubt it cost $3 to make

I don't want a portable charger in my back pocket.

I rather just have an extra battery in mutt wallet.

Unless there are portable chargers so small that I can have it in my pocket.
not ones with the same capacity as a battery. plus you get to avoid looking like a mad bomber with a wire running from the external battery to the phone. though, if you do end up going with an external, i would recommend getting a right angle USB cable from the internets.

terrier

Not really. Stock aesthetics is overrated. It's very bland and generic. Yes KK looks better than GB did or even ICS but in the end it still looks imo generic.

I kinda agree with you, but i think that that is how should be for every phone, in fact when you buy one, it should come with a very basic homescreen with 0 widgets and shortcuts, only the basic ones like phone contacts sms and camera, otherwise many people will keep them there forever, my mother for example.
And that is especially bad on xperia/lg/samsung devices, with all their bloatware widgets everywhere, then the phone obviously lags and makes the initial experience harder for newcomers.
If it wasn't for that, sony or samsung 'launchers' ain't that different from stock android, which lacks a few things to be the best one imo: looks good but doesn't allow to customize app drawer and you cannot disable google search bar on top (i usually put a clock there so i have to put the clock below and wallpaper is almost useless then.

What oems need to stop doing is adding stupid things like Sony did in latest xperia UI, when you hold home button instead of showing a shortcut to Google search now it shows two, Google and what's new. Absurd.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well yeah. Same google services, same layout, same widgets, it's not like they suddenly turn android into something as radical as Win8 tiles.

LG has extras like knockcode, quick memo and all that but otherwise, not really that different. Some stylistic changes that makes it seem different but it doesn't really detract much from the stock experience.

I use a nexus 4 as a backup phone, and my wife has an xperia m2. Both are similar enough to me - yes icons are different and you swipe up rather than in any direction to unlock the screen (although on the nexus I naturally swipe up anyway). But IMO they are interchangeable. Certainly close enough that I wouldn't dismiss an Xperia as a purchase choice because of it like an earlier post did.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I think I have a screen problem, but not sure if all note 3's do it. When I use neogaf mobile dark theme, when I scroll the letters turn purple and ghost and blur. White theme has zero problems. Only happens on this site as far as I can tell. Should I get a new one, or is that normal.

Edit: so I did some googling, and I guess it's just a AMOLED problem on low brightness. The pixels can't turn on fast enough going from black/off to on. I got a screen adjuster app that fixed it at least.

Also found a video of what I mean.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Purple Smearing: http://youtu.be/ikGOqdBGUDY

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there no way to see the file system when you hook up via USB? I was hoping to be able to hook up my nexus 4 to my car via USB and play music from it (that way the car can control the music). But it seems closed off.

keezy

is there no way to see the file system when you hook up via USB? I was hoping to be able to hook up my nexus 4 to my car via USB and play music from it (that way the car can control the music). But it seems closed off.

I think you have to have MTP enabled.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You can't see the actual file system as if the phone were a mass storage device, no. What you get is MTP or PTP, protocols that present an abstracted version of the file system and work with individual file operations rather than giving the other device raw access to the file system. If your car only understands USB Mass Storage that's of course a bummer, but there are many good reasons for why it is like this. It's safer (no corrupted files if the phone is unplugged at the wrong time), the phone can use a better internal file system (it doesn't have to be one the other device can read, like FAT32), you don't need separate partitions for app installs and other storage (with UMS this is necessary, since stuff would otherwise break horribly when you give another device raw access to the storage), etc.

Have you tried both MTP and PTP? The latter is simpler, and sometimes works with devices that don't understand MTP. But if your car exclusively reads UMS there's not much you can do, I'm afraid.

Paul Thurrott is probably one of the most bitter journalists in tech, but I like his reminder about Apple inventing tech.

Apple to invent NFC in less than two weeks

Speaking of that Apple event, while there have certainly been enough rumors about the next iPhone(s), here's a recent one I find to be particularly interesting, since I've been using this technology for a few years now. Apple will invent a technology called NFC, for Near Field Communication, which will—get this—provide a handshake of sorts between the phone and other wireless devices. It can be used for something as mundane as connecting a Bluetooth speaker, or sharing photos and files between phones, or for mobile payments. I cannot wait for Apple to invent this technology because even though I just used it as recently as last night to connect to a speaker, and in Spain to share photos between phones, none of that happened on an iPhone. So it's like it hasn't really happened. You know, until Apple invents it.

Speaking of NFC, what's the difference between Android Beam and S Beam and why is S Beam supposed to be better?

Paul Thurrott is probably one of the most bitter journalists in tech, but I like his reminder about Apple inventing tech.

Speaking of that Apple event, while there have certainly been enough rumors about the next iPhone(s), here's a recent one I find to be particularly interesting, since I've been using this technology for a few years now. Apple will invent a technology called NFC, for Near Field Communication, which will—get this—provide a handshake of sorts between the phone and other wireless devices. It can be used for something as mundane as connecting a Bluetooth speaker, or sharing photos and files between phones, or for mobile payments. I cannot wait for Apple to invent this technology because even though I just used it as recently as last night to connect to a speaker, and in Spain to share photos between phones, none of that happened on an iPhone. So it's like it hasn't really happened. You know, until Apple invents it.

Speaking of NFC, what's the difference between Android Beam and S Beam and why is S Beam supposed to be better?

S Beam only uses the NFC handshake to negotiate a WiFi Direct connection. This is a lot faster than actually using the low bandwidth NFC connection itself for transfers.

Groof

It's funny because it's true

RoadHazard

Gold Member
S Beam only uses the NFC handshake to negotiate a WiFi Direct connection. This is a lot faster than actually using the low bandwidth NFC connection itself for transfers.

No phone uses NFC to actually transfer files, it's only used to establish a connection. But the native Android implementation uses Bluetooth for the transfer, which is slower than Wi-Fi Direct.

VoxPop

I can look at my phone in the same amount of time I can look at a watch, especially if I have to scroll through notifications.

It's for people who want to spend $300+ to stare at a one inch screen with terrible battery life despite having a phone in their pocket. iWatch was just a trick to get every Android manufacturer to waste money while Apple builds something bigger and better. When Apple says something, they all latch on like an annoying little brother.

The only reason for me to have a smart watch would be as a remote for my music or podcast player. The fitness stuff might be interesting as well, but who knows how well that works. Cross platform support for something like that would be necessary, but there are no standards, so that wouldn't work out either. Unless the manufacturer releases an app on all platforms.

Is a second or two while you pull your phone out really that bad?

How is this relevant to your statement?

You seem to think that because pulling your phone out takes a few seconds, it isn't annoying, but sometimes it is. If someone gets constant notifications or if their phone is on silent for whatever reason, it is good to know you can just check it real quick without having to keep looking at your phone. Oh and it saves battery when you don't have to keep pulling out your phone for every message. Oh and how about just clicking real quick to deny a phone call instead of pulling the phone out and having to decline it? There are so many reasons to not pull out your phone that you are just generalizing and saying "well it only takes a few seconds".

Driving a car? Your hand is already on the wheel so you can take a glance at it quick and see what it is instead of the dangerous route of pulling out your phone while driving. I could go on and on.

NotBacon

You seem to think that because pulling your phone out takes a few seconds, it isn't annoying, but sometimes it is. If someone gets constant notifications or if their phone is on silent for whatever reason, it is good to know you can just check it real quick without having to keep looking at your phone. Oh and it saves battery when you don't have to keep pulling out your phone for every message. Oh and how about just clicking real quick to deny a phone call instead of pulling the phone out and having to decline it? There are so many reasons to not pull out your phone that you are just generalizing and saying "well it only takes a few seconds".

Driving a car? Your hand is already on the wheel so you can take a glance at it quick and see what it is instead of the dangerous route of pulling out your phone while driving. I could go on and on.

97mwpfz.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

So no, it isn't worth it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yea it is. Maybe not $300 worth it, but anything less than $150 or so I'd say is worth it especially once the software matures.

The cost of these watches is not the price tag, it is having to wear it and having to charge it.

If they gave these out for free, most people would still not use them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Doubters, start thinking of your excuses for later down the road. The small iPhone crowd has come up with a few good reasons why big phones are now somehow acceptable. I somewhat agree with the hesitation, though. Wear is a good idea that's seemingly poorly executed. Just wait for Apple to do it proper.

The cost of these watches is not the price tag, it is having to wear it and having to charge it.

If they gave these out for free, most people would still not use them.

In your opinion. The Pebble smartwatch was the most backed Kickstarter of all time, so there is demand and demand at a price. And the design execution of the Pebble is not a patch on the 360, nor is the software anywhere near as user friendly or powerful as Android Wear. Smartwatches won't reach the same level of demand as smartphones, but there is significant demand out there, particularly when you can converge devices in much the same way the smartphone did. Instead of a watch, a fitness tracker, step counter, sleep tracker etcetera you have one device which can do all of these functions. And items such as the "fitbit" are extremely popular. Where smartwatches have gone wrong in the past (and still do) is that they've been historically nerdy, square rectangles resembling 90's Casio watches. Watches are as much fashion pieces, or personal jewellery, as they are functional items. If you combine those two things and achieve a reasonable price point, that's where you'll likely have more success.

There's a reason the Moto 360 generates headlines and hype and it's because people are interested, otherwise websites wouldn't continue to run stories and speculate on the device as much as they have. The original Moto 360 reveal video has 2.3 million views on YouTube. I'm not saying that views translates directly to sales, it does show however that there is significant consumer interest. Just because you aren't one of those consumers, or don't see the point doesn't translate your extremely anecdotal position to the mass market.

HELLLLPPPP!!!!

I accidentally paired with a wireless bluetooth speaker, and now everytime I turn on bluetooth it asks me to pair with it. how do I delete this and have it leave me alone!! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom