• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well yeah. Same google services, same layout, same widgets, it's not like they suddenly turn android into something as radical as Win8 tiles.

LG has extras like knockcode, quick memo and all that but otherwise, not really that different. Some stylistic changes that makes it seem different but it doesn't really detract much from the stock experience.

Nah, I have a nexus 7 and I can pretty much configure my LG or Xperia to use the same stuff I use on the N7.

Yeah you can go through and do tons of customization by installing the google apps and disable the crappy Sony and lg ones. Then you can install the google now launcher Instead of the lg or Sony launcher. After all this your phone still is not stock and would be simulating the look and feel but still not be the samr Is this how a first time android user should start out?

Antiwhippy

Ah right, sorry about that.

Still, even the default stuff by LG and Xperia isn't actually that bad for a first time user. It's just that the google stuff is better.

Ah right, sorry about that.

Still, even the default stuff by LG and Xperia isn't actually that bad for a first time user. It's just that the google stuff is better.

Not really. Stock aesthetics is overrated. It's very bland and generic. Yes KK looks better than GB did or even ICS but in the end it still looks imo generic.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man, Chrome is such a damn battery hog these days. I guess maybe it always has been, but now it's worse than ever. I have TWO Chrome processes at #2 and #3 in my battery usage, right after the screen. One is Chrome itself, the other is some sandboxed process (and that one is actually above the regular Chrome process). My poor battery drain fast as hell when using this browser.

Man, Chrome is such a damn battery hog these days. I guess maybe it always has been, but now it's worse than ever. I have TWO Chrome processes at #2 and #3 in my battery usage, right after the screen. One is Chrome itself, the other is some sandboxed process (and that one is actually above the regular Chrome process). My poor battery drain fast as hell when using this browser.

Chrome has always been a battery hog. Not these days. There are a ton of other capable browsers. I personally use Opera mostly cause it has a UI that I enjoy.

Looking at the G3 battery pics, have me feeling great about my G2 still about 17 hrs and still have about 37% battery :)

I would upload a picture, but i still don't know how to upload one here straight from my phone :/

Antiwhippy

Actually I'm curious. Is it 17 hours of constant on screen time or just general use? I'd say an hour straight of internet usage on 4g drains about 15-20%.

iieUUK5.jpg

Is the best 10 inch Android tablet the Galaxy Tab S? Seems like slim pickings in that size range.

No, Tab Pro, tab s is the budget line.

Nexus 10s are nice but are starting to age. Nvidia shield is another great option. You could always wait for the nexus 9 or whatever coming this fall.

Except it won't show up in Google Calendar, and now you have two things to manage.

You are wrong. I just did it in google now by voice and its in my calendar. Google now pulls off your calendar. Maybe you are making the meeting request incorrectly and its making a reminder instead.

luoapp

You are wrong. I just did it in google now by voice and its in my calendar. Google now pulls off your calendar. Maybe you are making the meeting request incorrectly and its making a reminder instead.

what did you say exactly to Google now? Just saying "reminder me xxx" sets up reminder only.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I'm trying to wrestle this myself.

I also don't like how some apps turn notifications on or start up with my Galaxy S3. Facebook is one of those that I have to keep on stopping manually and a few other apps mysteriously turn their notifications on after I've shut them off.

Elija2

My Xperia Z2 phone is having trouble connecting to my home wifi. Sometimes it will connect for a bit before disconnecting, and other times it won't connect at all. I Googled it and apparently it's a pretty common problem but I haven't been able to find a solution. I've rooted my phone but it's still running the stock rom. I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask but can anyone help me out?

OK, but it showed a "Draft" card, and told me "touch to continue", and I still need to manually confirm in Google calendar.

I said "set calendar event called meeting for tomorrow at 10 a.m." and then it gave me a button to create the event from google now. It depends what you say. It needs work.

Hey dudes, I'd post this in the S4 thread but it seems to be dead.

I started having issues with my Samsung S4 today, here's a summary:
  • The phone started getting so hot that I can barely hold it in my hand
  • It won't charge at all when it's on, and will only charge very slowly when it's off.
  • I've tried turning the phone off, removing the battery and letting it all cool down but it kept charging slowly and would get hot as soon as I turned it back on
  • I've tried looking up the "symptoms" but I've found nothing that resembles my problem.
  • On top of all this I'm not getting any service when it's on, everything else works though, even wi-fi.

Right now I've decided to let it (very slowly) charge up to a 100% and turning it on but I'm expecting no changes. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has a solution, I'm afraid the battery is fucked though, and the warranty on that expired 6 months ago.

Since no one has helped you, I’ll give it a shot. You mentioned various symptoms, but did not include the most obvious one. Did you not notice the battery bulging/swelling when you removed it? If not obvious to the naked eye, do a spin test on a flat surface. If it spins easily on either side, you better change it ASAP. Don’t use or procrastinate any longer. It's only a few bucks to replace. I bet once you have the new batt, all problems would disappear :)

luoapp

Hey dudes, I'd post this in the S4 thread but it seems to be dead.

I started having issues with my Samsung S4 today, here's a summary:
  • The phone started getting so hot that I can barely hold it in my hand
  • It won't charge at all when it's on, and will only charge very slowly when it's off.
  • I've tried turning the phone off, removing the battery and letting it all cool down but it kept charging slowly and would get hot as soon as I turned it back on
  • I've tried looking up the "symptoms" but I've found nothing that resembles my problem.
  • On top of all this I'm not getting any service when it's on, everything else works though, even wi-fi.

Right now I've decided to let it (very slowly) charge up to a 100% and turning it on but I'm expecting no changes. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has a solution, I'm afraid the battery is fucked though, and the warranty on that expired 6 months ago.

It can be a bad battery, like w1ck3dn1nj4 said. Or there is a rogue program/malware running in the background consuming 100% cpu, which explains all the symptoms except the last one. You may want to try a factory reset.

For those of you still using Chrome Beta, they brought back the number of tabs....number. I knew it'd be back soon.

Yup, noticed it :). Is there any browser better than Chrome Beta? Read a post recently how it drains battery fast, so iI'm wondering if theres a better browser out there.

Yup, noticed it :). Is there any browser better than Chrome Beta? Read a post recently how it drains battery fast, so iI'm wondering if theres a better browser out there.
I honestly don't know. I used Firefox, Dolphin, Opera, and many of the newer ones I've seen posted on XDA, but only for short periods of time, so I can't give a decent assessment on how they compare. I just never really felt satisfied with any of them like I have with CB. The only other browser I've liked as much as I like CB is the AOSP browser that Google used to develop, but that's dead now outside of custom ROMs, I think.

Edit: Chrome doesn't drain battery for me anymore. It did in the past, though. I guess the problem was patched up in an update.

I'm sure some of the other posters here can give you a better idea of some of the other browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom