• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

I have a phone with enough space for my music and photos without the need for a card. My music + photos is like 15gb so it's not a problem.

Also, I didn't know you could do that through the photos app. That's cool, but I don't want to need reception just to view my damn photos. So I guess I'll just stick to manually putting my photos back in when necessary.

Also Goog needs to figure out the photos app vs gallery app situation.

rrvv

what is the latest solid Nexus rumor we got? my Nexus 4 is dying.

if not anything new on Silver program thing?

I have a phone with enough space for my music and photos without the need for a card. My music + photos is like 15gb so it's not a problem.

Also, I didn't know you could do that through the photos app. That's cool, but I don't want to need reception just to view my damn photos. So I guess I'll just stick to manually putting my photos back in when necessary.

Also Goog needs to figure out the photos app vs gallery app situation.

I used to think it was dumb to have two photo apps but it actually makes a ton of sence. One is your on device gallery and the other is tailored to photos on the cloud and their back up status. The only thing that is confusing is the naming. Photos should have either cloud or drivein the name so they aren't confused.

Quasar

what is the latest solid Nexus rumor we got? my Nexus 4 is dying.

if not anything new on Silver program thing?

Still not a lot really I don't think. Well there's the HTC Nexus Tablet stuff, but thats different.

Speaking of the N4, the lack of news is part of why I replaced the battery in N4 last week. So I've settled in to not upgrading this year. Its not like there's a whole host of reasons anyway beside wanting something new.

Groof

So who are these people that want to keep 30+GB of music and 50+GB of images on their devices at all times? What do you gain from this?

Using the cloud has its benefits. Then you make a playlist with your absolute favourites and pin it offline for when you can't access the cloud. Easy as shit, and you don't waste unnecessary storage because you want your entire LP collection in FLAC with you all the time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They way I set up my music listening is that I play the entire tracklist of an album and then the app randomly chooses the next album to go to.

So yeah, I do gain a lot from having 30+ gbs of music. Even that's not really enough for my collection. That's MP3 only, no FLAC. I feel like if you listen to albums and not individual tracks only you need more than a paltry 16gb which is mostly taken up by the system OS and apps already.

Groof

Still not a lot really I don't think. Well there's the HTC Nexus Tablet stuff, but thats different.

Speaking of the N4, the lack of news is part of why I replaced the battery in N4 last week. So I've settled in to not upgrading this year. Its not like there's a whole host of reasons anyway beside wanting something new.
The N4 is definitely still an acceptable device. It's snappy enough to satisfy most people, and if you've changed the battery then it'll probably survive even longer. For me though, I just need something snappier. The occasional lag and freezing that I can get at times - even though rare - are enough to make me desire a new one. I'm a tech whore and weak. I need my fix.

They way I set up my music listening is that I play the entire tracklist of an album and then the app randomly chooses the next album to go to.

So yeah, I do gain a lot from having 30+ gbs of music. Even that's not really enough for my collection. That's MP3 only, no FLAC. I feel like if you listen to albums and not individual tracks only you need more than a paltry 16gb which is mostly taken up by the system OS and apps already.
Okay yeah, in a case like this I can see that. I'm mostly a single track on constant shuffle listener kind of guy, only doing full albums when I feel like it or there's a new album I want to go through. But even then it's easy enough to set it up offline for when you would need it and then remove it when not as urgent.

PriitV

The N4 is definitely still an acceptable device. It's snappy enough to satisfy most people, and if you've changed the battery then it'll probably survive even longer.

I have a dilemma with upgrading... the power of N4 satisfies me, the battery sucks. I like the size as it's quite portable and fits in my jean pockets almost perfectly but.. I want something with a bigger screen for browsing at work. The footprint of OPO is way too big for me to even consider, hoping the nextNexus is what I'm looking for.

Also, real Racing 3 doesn't fit on my 8gb Nexus 4 :(

Groof

I have a dilemma with upgrading... the power of N4 satisfies me, the battery sucks. I like the size as it's quite portable and fits in my jean pockets almost perfectly but.. I want something with a bigger screen for browsing at work. The footprint of OPO is way too big for me to even consider, hoping the nextNexus is what I'm looking for.

Also, real Racing 3 doesn't fit on my 8gb Nexus 4 :(

Yeah the actual battery life is not satisfying for me either. I stand by that the N4 is, hardware design-wise, one of the best looking phones I've seen. The in hand feel is also amazing, and the curved glass is so good. But it's hampered by poor internals. The camera is absolute shite and the battery is only passable if you barely use it.

I'm with you in the wait, I hope the next Nexus knocks it out of the park. I want it right the fuck now.

So who are these people that want to keep 30+GB of music and 50+GB of images on their devices at all times? What do you gain from this?

Using the cloud has its benefits. Then you make a playlist with your absolute favourites and pin it offline for when you can't access the cloud. Easy as shit, and you don't waste unnecessary storage because you want your entire LP collection in FLAC with you all the time.
or... i could do it my way and save the environment and expose myself to less radiation.

I use only MP3 and my music collection is about 28 GB on my SD. Also, I used my phone to shoot a bunch of 1080p video on a vacation late last year, it's no dedicated camcorder but the DSLR I had with me couldn't record video so it worked out in a pinch. I ended up shooting nearly 15 GB of vacation videos with my phone. Having the extra space on my SD really came in handy during that vacation.

I fail to see how it's now a "benefit" to only have some of your music available to you instead of all of it. Reduction in function is not a benefit. There's no such thing as "unnecessary" storage any more than there is such a thing as a human lifespan which is "too long".

Quasar

The N4 is definitely still an acceptable device. It's snappy enough to satisfy most people, and if you've changed the battery then it'll probably survive even longer. For me though, I just need something snappier. The occasional lag and freezing that I can get at times - even though rare - are enough to make me desire a new one. I'm a tech whore and weak. I need my fix.

I am too. I just think a tablet upgrade is where I'll put my funds this year (probably an iPad Air 2, buy maybe the HTC Volantis will be cool enough). But then the tablet is where I play with fancy apps, not my phone.

Groof

I fail to see how it's now a "benefit" to only have some of your music available to you instead of all of it. Reduction in function is not a benefit. There's no such thing as "unnecessary" storage any more than there is such a thing as a human lifespan which is "too long".

It's beneficial in the way that with a single press, you can remove the files from your phone while still have access to them in the case you'd need more space for whatever reason (be it videos or photos etc). You won't be tied to using a computer for your removing and adding, just a Wifi (or data if you don't have a stupidly low cap) connection.

More storage is always good, yes. But in the world we live in right now where 16GB still is the starting point, there are ways to circumvent without having to spend extra cash (even though SD cards are "cheap," not everyone can afford that) just so you can store your lifetime's worth of music which you'll probably never listen to.

This internal storage vs ad cards discussion is boring.

Can we now please switch to TouchWiz vs Stock Android?
Brot, I like you.

This internal storage vs ad cards discussion is boring.

Can we now please switch to TouchWiz vs Stock Android?

I'm tired of the Touchwiz vs Stock argument though. We just had it earlier this week.

Maybe we can do metal vs. plastic for awhile to mix it up a little. When's the last time we did that one?

It's beneficial in the way that with a single press, you can remove the files from your phone while still have access to them in the case you'd need more space for whatever reason (be it videos or photos etc). You won't be tied to using a computer for your removing and adding, just a Wifi (or data if you don't have a stupidly low cap) connection.

If you have a sufficiently large storage pool, say a 64 or 128 GB microSDXC, you don't need extra space and you won't be removing files from your phone. Life is simplest when you simply never remove files, or only remove them rarely.

For large files, say 15 GB of vacation videos, you won't be syncing that shit to the cloud anyways. You'll want them on your computer to edit them or watch them in the first place, which means you'll be connecting to a computer anyways. Plus I don't really want to sync 28 GB of music to the cloud, the initial upload would take like a week.

More storage is always good, yes. But in the world we live in right now where 16GB still is the starting point, there are ways to circumvent without having to spend extra cash (even though SD cards are "cheap," not everyone can afford that) just so you can store your lifetime's worth of music which you'll probably never listen to.

16GB is only the starting point on Moto and Nexus. Everybody else has moved to 32GB as the base. Maybe if you ever considered a non-Nexus device you would realize this, but I know you worship at the altar of stock Android so oh well.

The current playlist I keep in rotation has about 300 songs on it. I actually do listen to the music in my collection. Maybe not all 28 GB of it at once, but I'm not one of those people who keeps 1 song on repeat for 4 hours.

SD cards are incredibly cheap, you can get a 64GB microSDXC for $40. And that's an investment you carry over every time you upgrade your device, as long as your next phone also has a microSD slot.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean, it's fine to want both cloud and SD. I'd need a 128gb card if I want to store everything I want to.

Options! The thing that makes android great. Which is why I avoid manufacturers that don't give me that option. Also a big "fuck you" to the way they price gouge on storage. I'm fine with the One plus one on have no SD card slot because the upgrade in storage is actually reasonable.

Groof

If you have a sufficiently large storage pool, say a 64 or 128 GB microSDXC, you don't need extra space and you won't be removing files from your phone. Life is simplest when you simply never remove files, or only remove them rarely.

For large files, say 15 GB of vacation videos, you won't be syncing that shit to the cloud anyways. You'll want them on your computer to edit them or watch them in the first place, which means you'll be connecting to a computer anyways. Plus I don't really want to sync 28 GB of music to the cloud, the initial upload would take like a week.

16GB is only the starting point on Moto and Nexus. Everybody else has moved to 32GB as the base. Maybe if you ever considered a non-Nexus device you would realize this, but I know you worship at the altar of stock Android so oh well.

The current playlist I keep in rotation has about 300 songs on it. I actually do listen to the music in my collection. Maybe not all 28 GB of it at once, but I'm not one of those people who keeps 1 song on repeat for 4 hours.
Videos are not a syncing thing, music is. Music files are generally easier to sync and manage. It's not difficult and easy enough to pick and choose what to have synced or not. You don't need to keep syncing and desyncing those 28GBs.

And if it's only the starting point on Moto and Nexus, why am I seeing all these 16GB S5s, G3s, Z2s, iPhones and HTC non-flagships?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
rDZZq5h.jpg

The Galaxy Alpha is Samsung’s most beautiful phone ever

Quasar

Not at the same pricepoint though. And for me at least price is one of several factors (another being timeliness and duration of OS updates) that makes it hard for me to look beyond Nexus devices.

And I'll admit I've never really felt the pressure of only 16 GB in my Nexus4. I stream all my media except for audiobooks. On the other hand I'm frequently feel the pressure on my 32GB iPad. I guess that's just a reflection of what I use each device fore.

solarus

That's not true at all. Galaxy s5? 16gb base. Htc one m8? 16gb base. Z2? 16gb base. The upcoming z3? 16gb base. Etc etc
These are all flagships that came out this year, now you can argue that they all have micro sd card support which is valid but you are still wrong about "everybody else has moved to 32gb as the base".

solarus

Is the galaxy s5 google play edition dead? Maybe it will be unveiled along with other new google play devices whenever they release L and announce the nexus 6

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is the galaxy s5 google play edition dead? Maybe it will be unveiled along with other new google play devices whenever they release L and announce the nexus 6

Play Edition phones are dead. They were stillborn. People clamored about them and didn't put money up, just like I predicted. So much demand for things people will never buy. Chalk it up with a 4" flagship spec'd smartphone, too.

reKon

Banned
I think the Z3 or Z3C is in my front running for phone I will buy down the road. I'm actually surprised that more people aren't talking about it here. I mean even though Sony has too frequent updates to their line up, they seem to be doing so much right here. The Z3 seems to have an improved camera, which was excellent on the Z2. Apparently the dual front facing speakers are comparable to the M8s according to an impression I watched on YouTube. Even if their not as clear, it should be solid. Then of course it's dust/water proof with the highest rating, features PS4 remote play (RIP Vita), not heavily skinned Android, SD card expansion, and should deliver incredible battery life. I didn't even know that the Xperia Z2 did this well on the GSMarena test... And this is WITHOUT stamina mode turned on:

gsmarena_100.jpg

I think that the design of the phone is excellent with combination of the glass and smoothed metal frame. The only negative I see are the top and bottom bezels. I guess that's just a trade off to deal with because of those dual speakers?

The big question mark is how quickly and stable Sony's releases of the updated versions of Android will be. I mean I want Android L as soon as it's available, but after that initial release, will it even matter that much considering that Google is making most of their major updates through Google services? With all that said, is there anything else I'm missing here that's a big reason that this isn't going to be the best flagship release?

Groof

I tried the Z3 out today at a kiosk. It was a short try though as I had to get on a train, but what I tried was really nice. It was snappy, very quick. The camera also seemed amazing at first glance, viewing the pictures on the phone's screen made them look incredible. Don't know how they would hold up under scrutiny though.

The hardware felt really good in hand too. Thin but sat well in the hand and quite light to boot. It was the copper version, which was a nice colour. Wish they had the mint one though, as that one looked the best in the pr photos.

Play Edition phones are dead. They were stillborn. People clamored about them and didn't put money up, just like I predicted. So much demand for things people will never buy. Chalk it up with a 4" flagship spec'd smartphone, too.
"i wish Samsung would make an AOSP phone."

... ... ... they did. it was their flagship model too.

reKon

Banned
I tried the Z3 out today at a kiosk. It was a short try though as I had to get on a train, but what I tried was really nice. It was snappy, very quick. The camera also seemed amazing at first glance, viewing the pictures on the phone's screen made them look incredible. Don't know how they would hold up under scrutiny though.

The hardware felt really good in hand too. Thin but sat well in the hand and quite light to boot. It was the copper version, which was a nice colour. Wish they had the mint one though, as that one looked the best in the pr photos.

You live in the UK?

I use only MP3 and my music collection is about 28 GB on my SD. Also, I used my phone to shoot a bunch of 1080p video on a vacation late last year, it's no dedicated camcorder but the DSLR I had with me couldn't record video so it worked out in a pinch. I ended up shooting nearly 15 GB of vacation videos with my phone. Having the extra space on my SD really came in handy during that vacation.

when i was on vacation in St. Kitts in the summer, i did several things a lot more than usual. like taking pictures and videos, and showing friends & family pictures and videos. and guess what, no data connection unless i was in some place with free wifi. i'd meet people i knew on the street randomly and there were no clouds, it was warm and bright and sunny and breezy and beautiful.

Hasney

The Z3 is winning for me, but I was tempted to buy out my contract to get out of this POS Galaxy S4. But my contract is out in 6 months, so I might wait for a Z4 and get that on launch day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom