• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

In terms of looks, the Gear S doesn't look that bad.

EXpSzhi.jpg

1yR1VRa.jpg

It just needs to be thinner.

It is a bit big but thats not too crazy... if it only had Android Wear. Who would buy product that you know wont be well supported in the future?

i would like to take this time to note that 32GB was the standard on the 2013 Mobile Flagship Handset and also will be standard on the 2014 model of the same device.

*shrugs*

NotBacon

Andandtech impressions
The Verge impressions
The art and science behind Moto X

Fucking sold

The Moto X should work as a daily driver for the average person on the street.

If this case:
cc-motox-p_2.jpg

is compatible with the Moto X then the sd card issue is eliminated completely.

I'll wait for the Anandetech, MKBHD, Erica Griffin reviews before I make any purchasing decision.

lolwut

I'm telling you it's someone's alt fucking with us! Probably PCTX or Not Bacon alt or something. LoLz

You caught me

Soodanim

The Chrome app update is sexy as fuck.

Too bad about the refresh button not being as easily accessible, tho.
This is what I came here to see.

I like the material update on my N7, but not so much on my N4. Like you said, the refresh button being moved away from instant use is annoying. I'm also not a huge fan of how the light theme can make previews harder to distinguish when they're all black text on white background pages. It could do with a bit of colour.

The menu animation is nice though. L will be sexy.

Got one from Zerolemon a few months ago. 3000mAh, same physical size as the original, 15 bucks on Amazon IIRC.
Thanks. Seems great for $15, and being the same size def helps.

Edit: Hmm, don't see it for $15, but I do see a bundle with two 3000mAh Zerolemon batteries plus a wall charger for $20. Gonna have to jump on that. Seems like a good deal.

Also, where's Andrex? He was crazy about the old moto x with a wood back.

Edit: That Anandtech preview of the new moto x got me hyped. Google needs to implement moto's voice and gesture tech into Google Search/Now, if they're not already working on it themselves. Moto/Active Display also needs to be part of Android proper.

Man, I really wish Google had kept Motorola. If they actually bothered to be serious with mobile hardware, they could've had something special.

Anyway, either the new moto x or the next Nexus will be my next phone. Hopefully moto really is making the next nexus.

The next Nexus also needs to have front facing stereo speakers; all mobile devices really. And HTC needs to shrink there ridiculous bezels. Motorola was able to put stereo speakers with amp in a small amount of space.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The Chrome app update is sexy as fuck.

Too bad about the refresh button not being as easily accessible, tho.

It looks good for sure. Very L. But yeah, functionality has gone down the drain in the process. I really hope this won't be a theme going forward as other apps get updated with Material Design.

Man are you guys all this salty about everything that is not your prefer choice of manufacture. Back in Windows Phone land we would be glad to get anything at all beside Microsoft subsidiary Nokia with their "affordable flagship" that to add salt to the wounds are not available in the US.

Some of you really need to get your perspective check.

Talon

Man are you guys all this salty about everything that is not your prefer choice of manufacture. Back in Windows Phone land we would be glad to get anything at all beside Microsoft subsidiary Nokia with their "affordable flagship" that to add salt to the wounds are not available in the US.

Sorry. We don't subsist on a failed platform.

SimleuqiR

What the fuck, Google? Why did you remove the refresh button from the URL and tabs bar in the new Chrome?

It looks good for sure. Very L. But yeah, functionality has gone down the drain in the process. I really hope this won't be a theme going forward as other apps get updated with Material Design.

Let's just hope they are going to integrate the pull down refresh gesture like some of their other apps have. Maybe the refresh button will disapeer entirely.

We should all get Samsung Galaxy Prevail's and just thank our lucky stars it's not Windows Mobile 6.5.

hey now, that was Samsung's best selling phone that year! though that's because all of their Galaxy S models were split in branding by carrier. Epic 4G was #2 iirc.

and honestly, i would probably run 6.5 over 7 or 8.

hey now, that was Samsung's best selling phone that year! though that's because all of their Galaxy S models were split in branding by carrier. Epic 4G was #2 iirc.

and honestly, i would probably run 6.5 over 7 or 8.
I don't know if you're serious, but I honestly would
maybe
. Every smartphone I owned before Android was WinMo. Nothing but HTCs. Used to be a huge Windows fanboy back in the day. Hell, the main reason I went Android is because it's more like a modern day WinMo

maybe
. Every smartphone I owned before Android was WinMo. Nothing but HTCs. Used to be a huge Windows fanboy back in the day. Hell, the main reason I went Android is because it's more like a modern day WinMo

Well he had to use WM 6.5 to hell and back because he was on the SERO plan and he had to choose from nothing but Palm and WM phones hehehe.

maybe

i'm definitelty probably semi-serious, and as for the bolded... me too.

Well he had to use WM 6.5 to hell and back because he was on the SERO plan and he had to choose from nothing but Palm and WM phones hehehe.
to be fair, i had SERO since the WM5 days. it wasn't like other people had a choice of anything else .. oh wait, except BB...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Perspective of what? Should I be happy I have monopolized, overpriced, and slow Internet when some South American rainforest tribe doesn't have anything at all? You can go back to Windows Phone land. I'm sure that grass is really green since you have perspective.

Hasney

As long as it isn't a Samsung phone due to my experience of owning one, I'm happy with whoever brings out the best phone for me.

Perspective of what? Should I be happy I have monopolized, overpriced, and slow Internet when some South American rainforest tribe doesn't have anything at all? You can go back to Windows Phone land. I'm sure that grass is really green since you have perspective.

Way to blow thing out of proportion. Wth, What are you so angry about and what this has to do with rainforest and whatever else you bring up. All I am saying why are you not happy with such nice wide range of hardwares to pick from. I want to come in here and discuss new and exciting Android phones but some of you are just in here being salty about everything.

Whatever, I am out of here some of you guys are nut.

Quasar

Harsh, but fair.

I wouldn't say that. Now WebOS, thats a failed platform.

Of course in some ways I'm a frustrated wannabe Windows Phone owner. I really liked it as an OS (in part because it wasn't the same grid of icons OS that iOS/Android is) but there wasn't really hardware attached that I really liked. And then MS caved to the facebooks of the world and abandoned various things that made the OS interesting (like hubs).

Not that I could even see myself buying one, but thats because of Googles policies in terms of its services. I simply can't go beyond Android/iOS because of that.

Way to blow thing out of proportion. Wth, What are you so angry about and what this has to do with rainforest and whatever else you bring up. All I am saying why are you not happy with such nice wide range of hardwares to pick from. I want to come in here and discuss new and exciting Android phones but some of you are just in here being salty about everything.

Whatever, I am out of here some of you guys are nut.

Aww come on, don't be mad. I mean look at it this way, the way the Xbox One is going, it will be a more failed platform than Windows Phone is in a year or two. So there's hope!!

I wouldn't say that. Now WebOS, thats a failed platform.

Of course in some ways I'm a frustrated wannabe Windows Phone owner. I really liked it as an OS (in part because it wasn't the same grid of icons OS that iOS/Android is) but there wasn't really hardware attached that I really liked. And then MS caved to the facebooks of the world and abandoned various things that made the OS interesting (like hubs).

Not that I could even see myself buying one, but thats because of Googles policies in terms of its services. I simply can't go beyond Android/iOS because of that.

WP is at least as failed a platform as BlackBerry 10. That it actually exists unlike WebOS isn't indicative of not being failed, unless you think that the Xbox One isn't a failure in Japan simply because it exists and you can buy one there.

But with no apps, no developer interest, no hardware manufacturer interest, no carrier interest, and especially no consumer interest outside of a few diehards, it's as failed as a failed platform can be at this point. The fact that MS has deep pockets and can subsidize its existence even though no one wants it doesn't magically turn it from failed to non-failed.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
All I am saying why are you not happy with such nice wide range of hardwares to pick from.
Subjective. You're getting riled up over people not being happy with what's coming out. Are you buying their phones? If not, don't tell people what to think just because you're satisfied with mediocrity. No one is being salty. If you have a strong opinion on how others should feel, don't get upset when someone has a strong opinion in return.

Can someone explain this to me?

Here is the storage available on my phone:
1YurrKG.png

The left one is the internal storage and the right one is an sd card.

In the android app manager thing, it is split into two sections:
Internal system storage

Internal media storage

So, it seems that I can only have a maximum of 1gb of stuff installed? I've moved everything to 'sd card' (which seems to move things to internal media storage and not my actual sd card) that is able to be moved. I have deleted all of the apps that I consider superfluous, but I still can't install most new ones and I can't update my old ones.

The thing that really gets me, though, is that even of my pathetic 1gb of internal system storage, I apparently don't have 29mb available to spare to update Chrome:
According to the app manager I have 183mb available, right?

My two questions:
1)What the hell, man?

2)This is a 3 year old phone, are modern phones like this? How much of a Galaxy S5's internal storage is actually available to install apps? If I buy a 32gb phone will I be able to install 32gb of applications or is it like 6gb that is partitioned for 'internal system storage' or something like that?

Side question:
Why is Chrome for android 29mb?

Hasney

No idea whats going on there, but modern phones internal storage is all one partition. But you have to remember that the system itself will still take a lot.

So a Galaxy S4 has about 9.2gb free for apps from a 16GB version.

Bboy AJ

That's partly why people like me hate sd cards. You can't install all apps on it. Just use it for media, like music and video. Your phone has poorly partitioned internal memory, too. Bad luck but you could try maybe finding a custom rom for it. Also, if your next modern phone is 32gb, then you can use that for apps, yes. Generally speaking. I don't know what el cheapo manufacturers are doing.

That's partly why people like me hate sd cards. You can't install all apps on it. Just use it for media, like music and video. Your phone has poorly partitioned internal memory, too. Bad luck but you could try maybe finding a custom rom for it. Also, if your next modern phone is 32gb, then you can use that for apps, yes. Generally speaking. I don't know what el cheapo manufacturers are doing.

some of them are still doing split pool fuckery, dunno how they pass CTS. blame Google!

Hasney

I agree mostly, but a lot of apps are at least having support for moving their large files to the SD and seemingly even have better performance in some doing that.. But until that's across the board, it's not really worth it.

The Verge confirmed the terrible battery life of the Moto 360 in their review.

"This watch just happens to do more than tell time. Until, that is, it doesn’t do anything at all. That happens about 12 hours after I take the watch off its charger, a cool black wireless dock that the 360 slots into sideways. Motorola says the 360’s battery lasts a day, but I haven’t seen it last that long yet. I don’t expect a smartwatch to last weeks or years, but it ought to be able to last a day and a night no matter how much I use it. My watch now dies before my phone does, and that’s unacceptable. I’ve already spent too much time wearing a dead Moto 360, and good-looking a bracelet as it is, that’s not what I’m spending $249 for."

Score: 8.1

Sounds like a Google problem to me.

Of course it is. It means that L is still at least 2 months away.

reKon

Banned
I realized that every phone that I'm interested in has some significant issue that's making me hesitant in wanting to purchase it. It's very unfortunate because it's the only thing. For the Xperia Z3 Compact the 16GB storage is infuriating. I didn't even think about the lack of storage options until now. I'm actually fine with 32gb for all my apps, but the 16gb only option is just fucking stupid.

For the Moto X, it's mainly the 2300mah battery that leaves me annoyed. I also didn't like the size increase. I wish they would have left the screen at 5 inches so that maybe it could compare to the Nexus 5 or HTC One size wise.

Why can't anyone just give me the fucking exact phone I want? I'm not even asking for a lot here. It seems like the Xperia Z3 that's coming to T-Mobile would be my best choice because that version will have 32GB of onboard storage. The only issue I have is the size of it.

Looks like the Nexus is my last hope. The battery not mess up on the battery size or camera.

Doopliss

According to the app manager I have 183mb available, right?

My two questions:
1)What the hell, man?

2)This is a 3 year old phone, are modern phones like this? How much of a Galaxy S5's internal storage is actually available to install apps? If I buy a 32gb phone will I be able to install 32gb of applications or is it like 6gb that is partitioned for 'internal system storage' or something like that?

Side question:
Why is Chrome for android 29mb?

1. It's because of how old phones connect to computers. They just mount their internal memory as USB Mass Storage (like a USB stick) which is risky for file integrity as it gives full control to the host machine. So, for stability reasons, installed apps are given their own separate partition. On your device this is 1gb in size. (Actually, I don't quite remember but the mounted partition may also become completely unavailable to the phone, so all apps would stop working while connected.)

I think the reason it won't let you install the update to Chrome is that some empty space is reserved for the currently installed apps to be able to store data. So although it isn't being used now it isn't freely available.

2. Modern phones use MTP which still allows connection and transfer of files to a desktop but the Android device retains control of its file system at all times. This means they can have a single partition for all the user's data and downloaded apps and actively manage access to it to ensure nothing gets fucked up.

3. Chrome is 29mb because it includes a full web browser engine rather than using the one built into Android.

teiresias

Not really Android, but I just got the refurbished Acer C720 that I ordered from Groupon and I'm already in love with this thing. It's perfect as a small portable computer for my personal use and looks new (though I don't think it comes with the 100GB Drive offer being refurbished). I wanted something to take around on personal trips and on work trips when I didn't need to actually lug my work laptop around which is a workstation-class laptop that run all my design tools and whatnot.

1. It's because of how old phones connect to computers. They just mount their internal memory as USB Mass Storage (like a USB stick) which is risky for file integrity as it gives full control to the host machine. So, for stability reasons, installed apps are given their own separate partition. On your device this is 1gb in size. (Actually, I don't quite remember but the mounted partition may also become completely unavailable to the phone, so all apps would stop working while connected.)

I think the reason it won't let you install the update to Chrome is that some empty space is reserved for the currently installed apps to be able to store data. So although it isn't being used now it isn't freely available.

2. Modern phones use MTP which still allows connection and transfer of files to a desktop but the Android device retains control of its file system at all times. This means they can have a single partition for all the user's data and downloaded apps and actively manage access to it to ensure nothing gets fucked up.

3. Chrome is 29mb because it includes a full web browser engine rather than using the one built into Android.
Great answers. Thanks everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom