• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did LG say anything about when we can expect the L update for the G3?

Don't think so. HTC is the only company really that spews that shit. Even Motorola just does it when they do it. HTC is like the little punk kid in class that pats itself on the back when they get a question right in class.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Android Hangout GAF is piecing out when the next Nexus will release. Like I always say, the Nexus releases earlier and earlier every year.

Code:
Nexus 5        Oct 31      Thursday
Nexus 4        Nov 13      Tuesday
G Nexus        Nov 17      Thursday
Nexus S        Dec 16      Thursday
Nexus One      Jan 5       Tuesday

I'm going to guess it'll be another Thursday. So October 23, 16, 9, or 2. Or maybe 30.

Groof

Android Hangout GAF is piecing out when the next Nexus will release. Like I always say, the Nexus releases earlier and earlier every year.

Code:
Nexus 5        Oct 31      Thursday
Nexus 4        Nov 13      Tuesday
G Nexus        Nov 17      Thursday
Nexus S        Dec 16      Thursday
Nexus One      Jan 5       Tuesday

I'm going to guess it'll be another Thursday. So October 23, 16, 9, or 2. Or maybe 30.

Announcement on October 1 and release on the 2nd! BELIEEEEEEEEEVE

Groof

No way they would release the next Nexus without L, and someone just said L might be 3-4 months away :/

For HTC devices. Last time around, it took HTC 2-3-ish months to get KitKat out the door. So if that holds true again, add one month from now and you have 3-4 months.

Boom.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Announcement on October 1 and release on the 2nd! BELIEEEEEEEEEVE
Let's make a betting pool. $1 to enter. Winner cashes out in Play Store credit. Or amazon.

Prez

Man are you guys all this salty about everything that is not your prefer choice of manufacture. Back in Windows Phone land we would be glad to get anything at all beside Microsoft subsidiary Nokia with their "affordable flagship" that to add salt to the wounds are not available in the US.

Some of you really need to get your perspective check.

Smartphone owners in general are salty as fuck. I've had 3 questions completely ignored in the WP thread, only to see posts complaining about no 1080p screen, no glance, LCD instead of OLED, 2 measly seconds of "resuming"...

Smartphone owners in general are salty as fuck. I've had 3 questions completely ignored in the WP thread, only to see posts complaining about no 1080p screen, no glance, LCD instead of OLED, 2 measly seconds of "resuming"...

If all we wanted was peace and happiness with our phones, we'd be in the iPhone thread. Now that must be a great place.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Man are you guys all this salty about everything that is not your prefer choice of manufacture. Back in Windows Phone land we would be glad to get anything at all beside Microsoft subsidiary Nokia with their "affordable flagship" that to add salt to the wounds are not available in the US.

Some of you really need to get your perspective check.

When you are spending $500+ on most devices people have expectations. This isn't chump change to throw around. Plus when it's a device you use everyday you'd like to get something you'll be happy with.

Bboy AJ

When you are spending $500+ on most devices people have expectations. This isn't chump change to throw around. Plus when it's a device you use everyday you'd like to get something you'll be happy with.
#Realtalk with VanillaMaher.

Not to mention that most people here are looking to replace their $400-500 phones from a year ago. These are not exactly the people that are content with "good enough".

If all we wanted was peace and happiness with our phones, we'd be in the iPhone thread. Now that must be a great place.

Just get one of these:
AqnKHxYwXFMxvGXV

It grants a Zen-like joy to every one of it's owners.

CronoShot

According to LlabTooFer updates for HTC devices to Android L (Android 4.5 or 5.0) will arrive in 3-4 months

FFS, Google!
HTC promises updates within 90 days of release. So that means Android L will either be October or November, which lines up with previous Nexus phone releases.

I was at Best Buy today and holy shit their smart watch display is terrible. The LG and Samsung android wear devices are dummy units and just hanging off a very hidden bar.

Of course the Samsung experience department had zero android wear watches.

The iwatch is going to murder android wear if this continues with the moto 360.

Pathetic.

Altazor

Ok, troubleshoot time. Not for me, fortunately, but for someone I know.

This girl has a Moto G, everything was fine until yesterday. Apparently a Moto Assist update fucked up everything - apps constantly crash, phone freezes, screen stays black when trying to unlock it. Bad situation. And I say "apparently" because that's what she told me and, according to her, other people with Moto G are suffering the same problem right now (I can't confirm nor deny that because I don't have a Moto G and I haven't been able to talk to the other people I know that DO have one).
She says the only way the phone works is by using safe mode, so she can't use any third party apps while there.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

spwolf

Ok, troubleshoot time. Not for me, fortunately, but for someone I know.

This girl has a Moto G, everything was fine until yesterday. Apparently a Moto Assist update fucked up everything - apps constantly crash, phone freezes, screen stays black when trying to unlock it. Bad situation. And I say "apparently" because that's what she told me and, according to her, other people with Moto G are suffering the same problem right now (I can't confirm nor deny that because I don't have a Moto G and I haven't been able to talk to the other people I know that DO have one).
She says the only way the phone works is by using safe mode, so she can't use any third party apps while there.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

factory reset? Isnt that hard:
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/97329/p/30,6720,9050

Altazor

Apart from factory reset, I mean.

That's the thing she's gonna do after she backs up all her stuff and finds there's no other solution.

Altazor

I agree, that's what I told her and... well, she said she had to backup everything first. In the end, I guess that's what it all boils down to. I just hoped to find a more specific solution without having to reset everything but, then again, you're right that resetting is easier and shorter to do.

Bboy AJ

Back up what? Android already backs all your stuff up, except app data. Which stinks :(

NotBacon

Speaking of backups:

What's the best way to get photos back on your phone? My current method is just downloading them all from my G+ profile and dragging them back to my phone through USB. It's not bad, I'm just wondering if there is an easier way.

Altazor

so... yeah, it IS a widespread issue here in Chile, at least. I've seen various people with the same problems (constant crashes, apps freezing, screen goes to black when trying to unlock, and so on) and Motorola Chile hasn't offered any kind of support yet. PR nightmare in the making?

I don't even know if it's actually related to the Moto Assist thingie. I told her to disable Moto Assist while in safe mode and she said it didn't help. Factory reset it is.

Speaking of backups:

What's the best way to get photos back on your phone? My current method is just downloading them all from my G+ profile and dragging them back to my phone through USB. It's not bad, I'm just wondering if there is an easier way.

my method is to re-insert the Micro SDXC card the photos are saved on.

Speaking of backups:

Why do you need them back on your phone? You have a photos app on your phone already thats a gallery specifically for viewing photos on your google plus account.

I purge photos from my phone all the time then just look at them there. That way they are only taking up space on my 75 gig google drive account.

Furyous

^^ Speaking the truth. I need to use a device 18 hours a day for at least a year and half to justify the $500+ unlocked price. I understand some people drop $500 like it's chump change but that's not me.

Are there any Android smartphones that are compatible with either one of these SDXC cards?:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090BEWKY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FF90EZM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm actually proud of the lack of fanboyism in this thread. We're all conversing without name calling or trolling for the most part.

With that said, I'm looking forward to the Google's upcoming event.

I have a question:

Would it be better to get a Moto G (lte), get the LG G2 that tmobile is selling for $240, wait for the nexus 6, or get a oneplus one? I'm trying to get a sub-$250 phone for my wife. The G2's are similar to the Nexus 5, right? Better or worse?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You know what, I would love if remotely accessing media, either by connecting to a home server using 4g or using the cloud, becomes more common, but we're not there yet for how most data plans work.

You know what, I would love if remotely accessing media, either by connecting to a home server using 4g or using the cloud, becomes more common, but we're not there yet for how most data plans work.

I was helping the original poster and you guys just have to take every chance you can to start shit about SD cards. Help out or gtfo.

I love wasting my mobile data just to listen to music on the go.

I also love not being able to listen to my music if I don't have a signal, or even enough signal.

Or even where mobile network coverage is 100% available everywhere you go. At least in the US, you can't avoid eventually winding up somewhere that doesn't have a signal. Then the cloud is completely and utterly useless, so you'd better have whatever it is locally if you want to use it.

Also what if you're on an airplane and you want to listen to your music? Do they put cell phone towers on aircraft now? I would hate to be stuck on the flight and not be able access my media, because it's in the cloud which is inaccessible when you're at 30,000 feet and therefore above the altitude where clouds form.

I also love not being able to listen to my music if I don't have a signal, or even enough signal.

Or even where mobile network coverage is 100% available everywhere you go. At least in the US, you can't avoid eventually winding up somewhere that doesn't have a signal. Then the cloud is completely and utterly useless, so you'd better have whatever it is locally if you want to use it.

Also what if you're on an airplane and you want to listen to your music? Do they put cell phone towers on aircraft now? I would hate to be stuck on the flight and not be able access my media, because it's in the cloud which is inaccessible when you're at 30,000 feet and therefore above the altitude where clouds form.

Serious? This is what MP3 players are for. You know because it's still 2005 right?

Serious? This is what MP3 players are for. You know because it's still 2005 right?

So what you're saying is that I have to carry 2 devices instead of just my phone if I want to listen to my music. I can't just keep all my music on my phone, on the 64GB microSDXC in my Note II. Good to know.

I know you were being sarcastic, but I really do wonder about some of the people who hate SD cards and external storage in AndroidGAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom