• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Awesome. I was hoping that once people got some more time with it, that this would be the case.

I should have enough info by the time it actually is available in Canada.

If anything, confirmed to be more horrible than earlier believed.. unless you dont trust Ars.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/moto-360-review-beautiful-outside-ugly-inside/

It is slow SoC with bad battery life. And to imagine that everyone thought LG G Watch had bad battery life.

smartwatch-b1enchmark.002.jpg

mturco

I've had my Moto 360 since Friday afternoon. It did drain quickly on the first day since I was essentially using it nonstop but since then I've just used it like normal and it has easily lasted me all day. On Saturday it was at 36% when I got home at around midnight and on Sunday it was at 60% when I put it on the charger at 10pm. Right now it's at 59% and it's almost 9pm here.

So yeah, it will very easily last an entire day if you use it like normal. Also this is all with ambient mode off.

Edit: And here's a picture because, well, why not.

If anything, confirmed to be more horrible than earlier believed.. unless you dont trust Ars.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/moto-360-review-beautiful-outside-ugly-inside/

It is slow SoC with bad battery life. And to imagine that everyone thought LG G Watch had bad battery life.

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/smartwatch-b1enchmark.002.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

Im sure its worse than the G Watch, but that test they ran is so weird. I'm much more inclined to listen to this:

[quote="mturco, post: 129082484"]I've had my Moto 360 since Friday afternoon. It did drain quickly on the first day since I was essentially using it nonstop but since then I've just used it like normal and it has [b]easily[/b] lasted me all day. On Saturday it was at 36% when I got home at around midnight and on Sunday it was at 60% when I put it on the charger at 10pm. Right now it's at 59% and it's almost 9pm here.

So yeah, it will very easily last an entire day if you use it like normal. Also this is all with ambient mode off.

Edit: And here's a picture because, well, why not.[/QUOTE]

Now I just have to wait for a lot more real world info, and then I can find out what's really true.

spwolf

Im sure its worse than the G Watch, but that test they ran is so weird. I'm much more inclined to listen to this:

Now I just have to wait for a lot more real world info, and then I can find out what's really true.

Well, you can trust someone's opinion over reputable site such as Ars.

But there is a repeatable test and there is everything else. There is a reason they create repeatable tests - so the results can be compared.

Fact is that Moto360 battery will last 50% of LG G Watch's battery that users are complaining about. Everything else is wishful thinking.

Apparently if you are not using it, it might last you full day.

But there is a repeatable test and there is everything else. There is a reason they create repeatable tests - so the results can be compared.

Fact is that Moto360 battery will last 50% of LG G Watch's battery that users are complaining about. Everything else is wishful thinking.

So you will take stress test results over real life usage? Lol

mturco

It's a smartwatch. You use it when you get notifications or when you want to check the time/weather/etc. It's not something you use for extended periods of time like a phone. From my experience, it has no problem lasting all day (and more) when used as intended (i.e., not running a benchmark). And really, if it lasts all day, who cares? You're going to charge it every night anyway.

I dont really trust one persons opinion over Ars (though I dont really ever use ArsTechnica, so I dont really trust it either I guess), but I will trust a bunch of peoples opinions over pretty much any website.

Also, I didnt know people were having issues with the G Watch's battery life. I hadnt really looked that hard, but everything I did see was that it was very easily lasting a whole day, and maybe even going as long as 2.

50% less is terrible, dont get me wrong, but if it can last a full day under a little more normal use, then thats fine with me.

edit: oh! and I would use it, but I would probably use it less than someone who works at Ars. I doubt I get as many emails, and I doubt I get as many other notifications, but I still would like to be able to change songs, get a glance at new messages, and oh check the time. haha.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Droid Life

Thanks to a handful of initial reviews from select press that surfaced close to last Friday’s embargo time, everyone thinks the Moto 360 has terrible battery life. Forget the fact that these reviewers couldn’t possibly have given the device thorough testing on its battery in the 12 hours (some less) that they had the watch in hand, but after having one on wrist for four days now, I think I can safely say that battery life is no where near as terrible as it was made to sound.

Groof

Hmmm, as a Xperia Z Ultra owner with little chances of a true successor on the horizon, I just had an idea but I need confirmation. AFAIK there will be a variant of the Z3 Compact Tablet with cellular capabilities... it'd be SO DAMNED KEWL to upgrade to one of those :) Just gotta find a pocket large enough to hold it all the time... hmmmmm....

yo... what kind of universe did you pop out of?

Hasney

Well looking at this:

z3-tablet-dualshock-4.png

It looks like there is a phone component? Probably need a headset though as I can't see a speaker at the top.

Groof

Well looking at this:

It looks like there is a phone component? Probably need a headset though as I can't see a speaker at the top.

I think it's confirmed to be able to make phone calls and stuff. Don't know why you'd want to do that though...

It does look sexy however. Dat remote play unfunfunf

MarkusRJR

Is there any way to make a new gmail address for a Google account? I still use one I had when I was younger and gmail first started so I want to make a new address. I don't want to make a whole new Google account because I want my Google Play purchases, YouTube account, etc.

Is there a way to do this?

Toki767

Is there any way to make a new gmail address for a Google account? I still use one I had when I was younger and gmail first started so I want to make a new address. I don't want to make a whole new Google account because I want my Google Play purchases, YouTube account, etc.

Is there a way to do this?

You can add multiple Google accounts to one phone. Just add an account and you'll have access to both in every Google app including Gmail.

Hasney

I think it's confirmed to be able to make phone calls and stuff. Don't know why you'd want to do that though...

It does look sexy however. Dat remote play unfunfunf

No idea on calls or why. Would be alright if you could have a clone SIM in there so when someone calls you, both goes off so I didn't have to take off my headset when remote playing.

But that remote playing.... Might be worth getting a tablet just for that. Going to have to hold one and see how comfortable the weight is, but screw the Vita if I can remote with DS4.

Today is tech blog holiday. The holy turtleneck messiah descends from tech heaven to give the poor little and hard working tech blogs the ad revenue of the year.

And all we mortals get is a boring iPhone with a hideous back.

Can't wait to see the watch, though.

Hasney

Today is tech blog holiday. The holy turtleneck messiah descends from tech heaven to give the poor little and hard working tech blogs the ad revenue of the year.

I'm interested. If there's any decent things about it to challenge the Z3/4 I now have my eye on, I may get it. But for some reason, I can't see Tim Cook's Apple doing anything of note.

MarkusRJR

You can add multiple Google accounts to one phone. Just add an account and you'll have access to both in every Google app including Gmail.
I'm just curious if there's a way to just delete my existing gmail (or make a new address, then set as primary) so I don't have to do any account juggling if possible. Kind of weird that Google doesn't have that sort of functionality.

If I do make a new account, I'd probably just redo my Google+ page, make a new YouTube profile, etc. Is there a way to transfer over a YouTube account to said new google account? If not, is there any way to delete the YouTube account so I can make a new YouTube account using the same YouTube name?

I have no interest in apple products (beyond the iPod), but the best part about the iWatch is that it'll hopefully set a new hardware standard for smartwatches. Then by next year Moto/HTC/whoever will hopefully release much better android wear watches.

DarkFlow

Banned
I kinda still think all this iWatch stuff is bullshit. There's been zero leaks about, zilch. Apple can't keep a secret to save it's life anymore, but somehow they have kept a lid on this. I think it's just the rumor mill feeding on itself at this point and keeping the hype up. I could also be totally wrong, but it seems unlikely.

I kinda still think all this iWatch stuff is bullshit. There's been zero leaks about, zilch. Apple can't keep a secret to save it's life anymore, but somehow they have kept a lid on this. I think it's just the rumor mill feeding on itself at this point and keeping the hype up. I could also be totally wrong, but it seems unlikely.

If it hasn't leaked it's because it's not in the supply chain. We could well see a finished prototype for release in time for chrimbo. Most iPhone leaks come from the Chinese assembly lines. If the iWatch isn't being mass produced yet, it won't be there

solarus

It's the same as the iPad reveal. First you have the announcement of the product months before the actual launch and before mass production has started. This prevents leaks and also gives times for developers to make apps for the new product.

thuway

Sony, why couldn't you have made the Xperia Tablet's in OLED flavours :/. C'mon mang, I need that sweet sweet remote play.

Quasar

If it hasn't leaked it's because it's not in the supply chain. We could well see a finished prototype for release in time for chrimbo. Most iPhone leaks come from the Chinese assembly lines. If the iWatch isn't being mass produced yet, it won't be there

Well the talk far ages has been it wont be released till January. Just announced tomorrow. And I get the feeling it will be more health related than watch. Not that I care a whole lot. The whole category seems pointless to me. At least while its another device on a daily charge cycle.

Hasney

I can't wait until wireless charging is standard. I'm going to get a wireless charging carpet and leave all my devices on it... I can't see any flaws in this approach at all.

I can't wait until wireless charging is standard. I'm going to get a wireless charging carpet and leave all my devices on it... I can't see any flaws in this approach at all.

I really wish Apple would adopt Qi Wireless as a standard, but if they're really going to use something, it's probably going to be something they came up with and is only compatible with their stuff.

terrier

I don't know that I could ever get a Sony phone. They've literally trained us to think that their next flagship is always going to be 6 months away. At least other companies give you a year.
i see it the other way, you can get the previous flagship at a much better price and you know next flagship won't be that much better hw wise, so i kinda like it more than anual versions that usually imply a quality jump. For example camera , while improved, has been using a similar sensor since z1

it is nice but i wish that those extra accounts wouldn't show on every single google app if you disable sync from options, I have 2 accounts, one is my main account, g+ and personal profile and all that, second one is for online purchases to receive mails so my main account doesn't get spammed, so for this second account i only have gmail sync'ed, everything else is unselected, but if i want to send a hangout for example it always appears there, i have to choose manually which account i want to use even if this second one is logged off.
It is not a big issue but is a little less convenient and antiesthetic

Hasney

i see it the other way, you can get the previous flagship at a much better price and you know next flagship won't be that much better hw wise, so i kinda like it more than anual versions that ususally imply a quality jump. For example camera , while improved, has been using a similar sensor since z1

Aye. It's looking that my contract will be up when the Z4 drops if they stick to schedule, so I'll be able to find out if it's worth grabbing that or getting a cheaper Z3 at that point.

Quasar

1GB FLAGSHIP RAM day,

Its interesting how little ram ios gets by on compared to android. Dunno if thats just the crappiness of java or what.

I guess if they want to implement multitasking like rumoured they will need to up the ram though.

Groof

Can't wait for The Verge to call it the best iPhone yet and that all Android devices have a new benchmark to reach.

terrier

Can't wait for The Verge to call it the best iPhone yet and that all Android devices have a new benchmark to reach.

if it was only the verge. In my country, spain, where iOS is barely a 5% in market share and WP is above iphones, and android almost 90% market share, news sites are covering and generating hype for today's event, but no news at all about IFA and all that was shown there. Amazing journalism-

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Amazon Video is now available for Android with a small catch

Phandroid

The app is only available via the Amazon Appstore. This is not a huge deal, but you have to download the Amazon Appstore to your device, and then download the Instant Video app from there to your phone. Why can’t Amazon just make it available from Google Play like many of their other apps?

Groof

if it was only the verge. In my country, spain, where iOS is barely a 5% in market share and WP is above iphones, and android almost 90% market share, news sites are covering and generating hype for today's event, but no news at all about IFA and all that was shown there. Amazing journalism-

That sucks. But it's because Apple devices run on that special Apple Magic™ and they all "just feel better" for no particular reason.

spwolf

Well looking at this:

there is 4G version for data and they decided that since they have all the firmware, they will also let you use it for voice, if you want... you would need bluetooth headset and i guess SBH52 is perfect for it since it is handset too.

sony-SBH52.jpg

it is way too crazy for me, but it would be perfectly usable.

Hasney

there is 4G version for data and they decided that since they have all the firmware, they will also let you use it for voice, if you want... you would need bluetooth headset and i guess SBH52 is perfect for it since it is handset too.

sony-SBH52.jpg

it is way too crazy for me, but it would be perfectly usable.

I actually like that. Granted, you'd need your tablet and carry a bag everywhere to make it feasible, but if you're someone who needs that anyway, it might be a nice combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom