• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I can get into this Verge fanfiction thing.

"When the Galaxy Note came out in 2011, many deemed its 5.2" screen as too big for a phone and outside of the S-Pen novelty, the software didn't have enough improvements to make use of the big screen. Three years later little has changed. While there are a lot more manufactures producing phablets these days, none of them have done anything to utilize the big screen in a meaningful way. Once again it takes Apple to make the first step and show everyone else how it's done.

Verge scrore: 9.4/10"

Fjolle

So. How come the newest android (wear) runs on OMAP processors? I thought that TI stopped supporting them...

SimleuqiR

So. How come the newest android (wear) runs on OMAP processors? I thought that TI stopped supporting them...

They (TI) probably had stock piles of the processor and sold it dirt cheap to Moto/Google. Moto/Google probably had to write new drivers for it, or just straight up used what was available for the Galaxy Nexus, making the experience even that much worst.

When keeping it froogle goes wrong.

galaxy note was 5.3" brot brot

Shit, this changes everything!

They (TI) probably had stock piles of the processor and sold it dirt cheap to Moto/Google. Moto/Google probably had to write new drivers for it, or just straight up used what was available for the Galaxy Nexus, making the experience even that much worst.

When keeping it froogle goes wrong.

They must've written new drivers, because Wear is based on 4.4 and the GN didn't get 4.4, because it lacked drivers and support.

SimleuqiR

Shit, this changes everything!

They must've written new drivers, because Wear is based on 4.4 and the GN didn't get 4.4, because it lacked drivers and support.

To add insult to injury, the 360 has a smaller battery than adversited:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...to-360-finds-smaller-battery-than-advertised/

In iFixit's pictures, the 360's battery is only labeled as 300 mAh, 20 mAh less than advertised. The 300 mAh battery has only 75 percent of the capacity of the 400 mAh battery found in the LG G Watch, and together with the OMAP 3 processor, it's not a great combination for all-day battery life. We've asked Motorola for a comment about the smaller battery in iFixit's 360, but the company hasn't gotten back to us yet. We'll update this post if we hear anything.

reKon

Banned
Why did Moto make that engineering decision to use the TI OMAP and a tiny ass battery? Those processors must have been cheap as shit. The probably got an amazing discount on all those 2300mAH batteries that are being stuffed into the new Moto X

Toki767

Why did Moto make that engineering decision to use the TI OMAP and a tiny ass battery? Those processors must have been cheap as shit. The probably got an amazing discount on all those 2300mAH batteries that are being stuffed into the new Moto X

Higher profits probably.

I guess they liked to work with familiar components.

"This is the same processor found in the Motorola Droid 2, and the MOTOACTV, Motorola's first smartwatch—2010 and 2011 tech."

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola+Moto+360+Teardown/28891

That motherboard is still impressive, though.

hUbV0ub.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Based Apple. Today will be a game changer for sure. I'm not being sarcastic, either. Apple makes waves in this industry and if they take old ideas and pretend they're new and theirs, who cares. We all benefit.

tzare

Just watched a few hands on of xperia z3 compact, amazing to see how small it is, even more than previous compact, yet has a 4.6 screen vs 4.3 on previous one. And compared to iphone 5 is almost the same size, just a bit wider.And ip68 certified too. It destroys all competition, even its big brother with those thin bezels. Too bad i need at least 5 inches , i don't think I could go back to smaller screens. Shit, it is even smaller than my old 4.5 inch xperia T.

One thing i noticed is that most previews and probably reviews say that design is too similar, that is also true for Samsung or other manufacturers , and it seems like a criticism instead of just a innocent comentary. But never seen that kind of problem when reading or watching apple products reviews. Interesting.
Waiting to see new iphone design, can be fun if it is more of the same but just bigger

Hasney

Exactly why I couldn't do the compact. Need that bigger screen and the extra GB is always nice, albeit used pushing more pixels.

SimleuqiR

EMTLeaks_Nexus-5_Lion.jpg

http://www.androidguys.com/2014/09/09/android-5-0-lion-leaked-alledged-new-nexus/

The rest of the specs on this info sheet are what we’ve been seeing before, with a 5.2″ 2560×1440 QHD resolution screen, Snapdragon 805 processor with Adreno 420 GPU, 3GB RAM and a 12 megapixel back shooter.

Read more: http://www.androidguys.com/2014/09/09/android-5-0-lion-leaked-alledged-new-nexus/#ixzz3Cq0zLtKo
Follow us: @androidguys on Twitter | AndroidGuys on Facebook

I so want a Nexus 5 (2014). That would be great!

EDIT:

I was told by a fellow GAFer that EMT is full of it.

Altazor

I wonder what people that used to defend (or, actually, stlll defends) the current iPhone screen size. Are they dismayed by the announcement of larger screens and phones? Are they going to keep their current iPhone? Will they change their minds a bit regarding screen size?

EDIT: In any case, I'm not really a fan of really big screens on a phone. I don't tend to like phablets, for example. There's a sweet spot for me, I guess.

Jigolo

I wonder what people that used to defend (or, actually, stlll defends) the current iPhone screen size. Are they dismayed by the announcement of larger screens and phones? Are they going to keep their current iPhone? Will they change their minds a bit regarding screen size?

EDIT: In any case, I'm not really a fan of really big screens on a phone. I don't tend to like phablets, for example. There's a sweet spot for me, I guess.

I'm sure they'll upgrade. Apple can still make 4.7 the sweet spot. Sometime down the line I expect them to remove the button and go for much smaller bezels which would make their phone smaller and more ergonomic.

Altazor

I'm sure they'll upgrade. Apple can still make 4.7 the sweet spot. Sometime down the line I expect them to remove the button and go for much smaller bezels which would make their phone smaller and more ergonomic.

oh yeah. Large bezels are definitely not to my liking.

Drifters

So Apple finally decides to join the master race of phones. Funny how they are truly leading from behind these days.

SimleuqiR

Googy help me give me strength. I don't want to switch but god damn that watch

Looks like a Samsung product. Is really not that special (looks wise).

Moto could have taken the price! Should have put some premium parts in their watch. They definitely screwed the pooch.

I like how they took the most annoying part of an analog watch - the tiny, hard to use dial - and made it an integral part of the experience. It's annoying using that thing to change daylight savings hour twice a year, I can only imagine the kind of frustration you'd get using it every single day.

Altazor

Design-wise, I think the moto 360 still is my favorite.

In any case, I don't have the money (nor the need) for one yet. I'd probably wait for the second-gen of all smart-watches, Android or iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom