• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it save to say that the Apple Watch looks like a shitty first-gen product? Like all 1st gen products, I mean. It's fat, ugly and should be much, much better next year.

If I was on Google's Android Wear team, I'd be relieved right now.

AJ, how the hell is Apple supposed to save us from the wearable ghetto now?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm honestly just more interested to see how the UI will function on it.

edit: ok, sideview isn't so hot. Thing is fat as fuck.

Nakazato

Going to play with new iphone . but going to wait till I see what nexus is this year. Goofy yo come out with it own r and d watch

I really hope Motorola is going to iterate quickly and come up with a second generation 360 around CES or MWC. I'm not expecting miracles, but a slightly better battery (400 mAh) and a modern SoC would probably be enough to convince me.

Altazor

Yup, so far... wait for second-gen. Either Android or Apple Watch.

And I don't have the money to buy either right now, anyway :p

$350

homer_patty_selna_lauiguzi.gif

I honestly don't think the price of the Apple Watch matters. Not because "hurr durr, Apple premium" or "Apple fanboys will buy anything, derp". It's really just because this is a first generation product for Apple. Like the first iPhone with its insane starting price back then, it doesn't need to be a product that appeals to the mass market yet. They just need to get their foot into the door with this. For that they need developer support first and then they can release hopefully a much better $199 version a year later.

But maybe I'm just seeing this wrong.

Crisco

Banned
I still doubt that smart watches ever take off in the same way phones or tablets did, but if they do, it's now safe to say Apple won't be the market leader anytime soon.

Maiar_m

Deals with carriers were also a huge part of the original iPhone's success and I'm pretty sure the same approach will be applied to smartwaches sooner than later. "2y contract gets your the phone at 199$ and the watch at an extra 100$ instead of 350. Yay!"

Pooya

my take;

- Apple Phone 6 finally catches up with 2013 flagships. Cost an arm and leg... possibly $1000 unlocked?
+ Apple Phone 6minus is no where as bad as 'mini' phones now. It only lacks OIS. Looks like same thing otherwise. Of course lower res.
- It doesn't look as ugly as the leak in press photos (duh), but I'm not really impressed.
? 1GB of RAM still??? they glossed over A8 very quickly.
-iWatch looks like a watch from the 80s.
-somebody thought people love using the crown
-too fat and it cost an arm an leg
??? nobody talked about battery life ??? odd for apple
edit forgot:
+iPay, so NFC much revolutionize wow.

Deals with carriers was also a huge part of the original iPhone's success and I'm pretty sure the same approach will be applied to smartwaches sooner than later. "2y contract gets your the phone at 199$ and the watch at an extra 100$ instead of 350. Yay!"

When Apple announced the first iPhone in January 2007, it was $499 and $599. Yes, they quickly dropped the price to $399, but like I said before, the price is not that important.

Pooya

from Victory Red in apple thread:

iPhone 6+
5.5" Screen
Height: 6.22"
Width: 3.06"
Thickness: 0.28"
Weight: 172g

Galaxy Note 4
5.7" Screen

Height: 6.04"
Width: 3.04"
Thickness: 0.33"
Weight: 176g

Apple's announcement today makes the choice for me between Xperia Z3 (or Z4 in 6 mos maybe?) and the next HTC flagship offering.

The only thing I feel like I'd like to have is the 120/240fps slow mo.

Maiar_m

When Apple announced the first iPhone in January 2007, it was $499 and $599. Yes, they quickly dropped the price to $399, but like I said before, the price is not that important.

That's not what I meant, or it's only part of it. Subsidiaries are a thing, but the fact is carriers would do everything to sell the phone to you.

tzare

First thoughts:

New iphone looks strange, remind me of some chinese phones, will wait to see some videos for final veredict, but huge bezels without the benefits of waterproof certification..

Z3 compact has the edge for me over iphone6 and note3/4 over 6plus

Iwatch is ugly, too thick and doesn't seem to offer anything that those android wear devices, still in their infancy too, offer.
They lost their chance, and while sales could tell another story, it seems they don't really know where to innovate and differenciate from android/wp devices. Plus camera... well sure mp ain't everything, but bumping to 13mp wouldn't hurt either, especially considering those insane prices.

That's not what I meant, or it's only part of it. Subsidiaries are a thing, but the fact is carriers would do everything to sell the phone to you.

Oh, you're right about that. I completely agree with you. I'm just saying that the price shouldn't be factored in right now. But yes, I suppose we'll see a lot of bundles from the carriers soon. I can see them selling something like the LG G3 + G Watch R or Note 4 + Gear Whatever for 299 and 399 with a 2 yr contract.

Oh, you're right about that. I completely agree with you. I'm just saying that the price shouldn't be factored in right now. But yes, I suppose we'll see a lot of bundles from the carriers soon. I can see them selling something like the LG G3 + G Watch R or Note 4 + Gear Whatever for 299 and 399 with a 2 yr contract.

AT&T was running a promo awhile back where you could buy a G3 on contract and get a G Watch for $100.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've still not seen a phone that blows the nexus 5 away yet.

You aren't going to either as we've gotten to a point where everything is fast and usable.

That being said the Z3 seems like it should be a clear step up camera and battery wise. That's not gonna blow away the N5 though.

NotBacon

Its interesting how little ram ios gets by on compared to android. Dunno if thats just the crappiness of java or what.

lol "crappiness of java". Java vs Objective-C vs Swift makes almost no difference in terms of memory footprint. They're all garbage-collected. What makes the difference in memory footprint is what was a actually built with the language.

The reason iOS gets by on so little ram is because of how tight its restrictions are on background apps. The only apps allowed to run in the background on iOS are audio, navigation, or download related. There's a few exceptions but that's the gist.

This is in stark contrast to the paradigm on Android where anything and everything can run in the background if it wants. The upside is true multitasking. The downside is you have to choose your apps carefully...

VoxPop

meh pretty disappointed in the reveal and the hideous bands/protruding camera but I guess I'm gonna finally have to jump on the phablet wagon unfortunately.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think the Apple Watch is great. It's not as groundbreaking as I hoped it would be, but it's still pretty nice. The Moto 270 looks nicer, though. Even still, everyone wins today. Apple has some good ideas and an interface that's much more thought out than a singular fucking Google Now notification.

I'm still waiting before boarding this wearable train.

I think the Apple Watch is great. It's not as groundbreaking as I hoped it would be, but it's still pretty nice. The Moto 270 looks nicer, though. Even still, everyone wins today. Apple has some good ideas and an interface that's much more thought out than a singular fucking Google Now notification.

Lol. Take your L in stride. There's nothing great about that faux toy watch.

HawkeyeIC

What have we seen from the interface to even judge it? All the press see are a tech demo, and we got a Ivy video that didn't show transitions, or how it will actually work in practice.

That hardware, on the other hand, is terrible.

3phemeral

I'm still perplexed about this Apple Watch thing. It's not rated for water resistance (other than it being "sealed from the elements"), I haven't seen anything about how the OS works. Someone directed me to a video on Apple's site that supposedly explained it, but all I got was glamor shots of an ugly watch with inexplicable cheers at the end of it.

Cipherr

What have we seen from the interface to even judge it? All the press see are a tech demo, and we got a Ivy video that didn't show transitions, or how it will actually work in practice.

That hardware, on the other hand, is terrible.

Oh we saw some still images they put out of the watch doing things. Like... telling you when to leave just before an appointment on your schedule is due, and uhh, voice activation, and fitness tracking and a maps app..... and... like checking your messages...

But yeah, fuck Google Now and Android Wear on a watch. Such useless non-innovative features, who the hell wants to buy something for your wrist that the phone in your pocket can pretty much already do.... right?

Zeppu

Worst part about Android Wear is that it doesn't allow me to browse through all my pictures so that I can look at them on some 1.5" screen.

Looking at the phase of the moon and positions of the planets is something critical I'd totally be using after I've shown it to all my friends as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom