• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the new navigation buttons, especially in the newest preview. They were too big before, now they're perfect. I figured OEMs wouldn't use them, though. It's hard to customize shapes. And that font HTC uses is ugly.

I love the new navigation buttons, especially in the newest preview. They were too big before, now they're perfect. I figured OEMs wouldn't use them, though. It's hard to customize shapes. And that font HTC uses is ugly.

Xperia allows for theme customisation that changes the navigation buttons, so I doubt it's difficult.

Probably one of my favourite Xperia features,since the overall OEM UI for Xperia looks dated, but it's easy to change the most critical ones.

Husker86

Iphone 5 owner here. Tired of IOS and in the market for an android phone.

With so many options out there, i honestly don't know what i want.

Watch some video reviews of the latest flagships. Or, if possible, go try out phones in a store.

If you've read this thread you've seen how there is always some people that like one manufacturer's customizations, so it's really hard to tell someone we don't know what one they will like the best.

Really, any of them will be great phones, but they do each have their strengths and weaknesses; it's up to you to decide what matters most.

In short, you will not find the "one" Android phone that you should get when asking a large group of people.

My opinion:
What carrier are you on?

The Nexus 5 is a great price for an unlocked phone, and it's a joy to use, even more so with Android L (only the preview is out, so may be even better at release).

If you can't (or don't want to) get an unlocked phone, then the Moto X 2014 seems pretty nice.

If you want to go with a big phone, then I think the Note 4 would be the "phablet" to get. None of the other ones match up to the phablety features. The Nexus 6 is another option, but it's not out yet.

If I were to get an Android phone right now, I think it would be the Nexus 5. And coming from me, recommending an almost 1 year old phone is almost unheard of. I just haven't been super blown away by this year's crop. I am also not ready for a 6" phone.

That said, I would have no problem using a Galaxy S5, LG G3, Moto X 2014, HTC One M8 (though I still its screen:body size ratio), or Sony Z3/c.

Watch some video reviews of the latest flagships. Or, if possible, go try out phones in a store.

If you've read this thread you've seen how there is always some people that like one manufacturer's customizations, so it's really hard to tell someone we don't know what one they will like the best.

Really, any of them will be great phones, but they do each have their strengths and weaknesses; it's up to you to decide what matters most.

In short, you will not find the "one" Android phone that you should get when asking a large group of people.

My opinion:
What carrier are you on?

The Nexus 5 is a great price for an unlocked phone, and it's a joy to use, even more so with Android L (only the preview is out, so may be even better at release).

If you can't (or don't want to) get an unlocked phone, then the Moto X 2014 seems pretty nice.

If you want to go with a big phone, then I think the Note 4 would be the "phablet" to get. None of the other ones match up to the phablety features. The Nexus 6 is another option, but it's not out yet.

If I were to get an Android phone right now, I think it would be the Nexus 5. And coming from me, recommending an almost 1 year old phone is almost unheard of. I just haven't been super blown away by this year's crop. I am also not ready for a 6" phone.

That said, I would have no problem using a Galaxy S5, LG G3, Moto X 2014, HTC One M8 (though I still its screen:body size ratio), or Sony Z3/c.

Well I'm on sprint but my contract has been up since oct.11th

I'd like to keep my unlimited data plan being that i stream music (Spotify)
Battery life is somewhat of a factor. but as long as it last a full day I'm happy.

I do intend to root it (owned a HTC eve 4g)
Features i don't really care for. Last but not least something that can do decent 1080p videos and take good pictures.

Im leaning towards the S5.

I really, really wanna pick up a Galaxy Note 4 for that S Pen and Gear VR, but I'm not sure what carrier to go with. I don't trust any of them, and I use Virgin Mobile with an iPhone 5s. Any recommendations?

Also, I picked up a Shield yesterday. Best portable I own.

Battery life is somewhat of a factor. but as long as it last a full day I'm happy.

Features i don't really care for. Last but not least something that can do decent 1080p videos and take good pictures.

May I ask why your leaning towards the s5 over others? It does have great battery life and camera but the software is a mess.

If user experience, os updates, tinkering are your priority you will want to go Nexus or Motorola.

If battery life and camera is your priority than lg g3 or s5 would be good options.

Unfortunately there is not much in between. The battery life on the moto products is fairly conparable to iphones but camera is worse. Nexus 5 battry life may or may not get you through a full day but it is cheap! You should read reviews on these phones and decide what's best for you.

reKon

Banned
I didn't know how beastly my Nexus 7 was for emulating. Plays N64 on stock 4.4.4 like it's nothing. I have sworn the performance was worse when I tried doing this a year ago. Also, buying the Moga Pro has been worth it. A ton of games support and it's pretty easy to map to any controller.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Nexus 6 or Note 4. Don't get the old S5.

NotBacon

Nexus 6 baby. And I would think twice before rooting. It's getting rarer as Android has matured immensely since the HTC eve 4g.

Drifters

Anyone in this thread who buys a phone between now and when the Nexus 6 is released is dead to me. There should be only one thing on your mind... When can you get a hold of the Nexus 6. If not, go buy an iphone. #teamdealwithit

Husker86

Anyone in this thread who buys a phone between now and when the Nexus 6 is released is dead to me. There should be only one thing on your mind... When can you get a hold of the Nexus 6. If not, go buy an iphone. #teamdealwithit

I won't hold not wanting a 6" damn phone against anyone!

I don't want a 6 inch phone. thats too big.

Hmm the note 4 looks like an interesting choice.

When you love it, you gotta let it go...
So my Galaxy S3 suffered a little accident and is now 100% dead, so... Upgrade time!
Sadly, it's got to be an AT&T device because I just spend $300+ on computer parts and NEXT will make it easier on me.
So I went today and played with the Note 4 and had a blast with it, but I heard that it's really fragile, that it has bad battery life, and the camera sucks. Is that true?

Still, what's the best thing they got right now? I mean, in your opinion.
I need storage, durability, and a decent camera. I was considering the iPhone 6, but I would rather stay on the Android ecosystem.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So I went today and played with the Note 4 and had a blast with it, but I heard that it's really fragile, that it has bad battery life, and the camera sucks. Is that true?
Still, what's the best thing they got right now? I mean, in your opinion.
I need storage, durability, and a decent camera. I was considering the iPhone 6, but I would rather stay on the Android ecosystem.
What? It's one of the best built devices of the year IMO and the battery life is fantastic. I easily get 6-7 hours of on screen time on a single charge, all on LTE. It also has fast charging, which like the name says, charges your phone incredibly fast. The camera takes really great pictures too, so I don't know where you're reading all these negative points. I'd suggest the Note 4 for your needs. 32GB default storage + SD card, great battery, great build and feel on the hand, and great camera. What more could you possibly want!?

What? It's one of the best built devices of the year IMO and the battery life is fantastic. I easily get 6-7 hours of on screen time on a single charge, all on LTE. It also has fast charging, which like the name says, charges your phone incredibly fast. The camera takes really great pictures too, so I don't know where you're reading all these negative points. I'd suggest the Note 4 for your needs. 32GB default storage + SD card, great battery, great build and feel on the hand, and great camera. What more could you possibly want!?
Just saying what I read online, I guess. I didn't get to test out the camera or the stylus (since someone stole it...), but that makes me feel better.
The battery life sounds out of this world compared to the three hours I got on my S3 with LTE off. lol
The build quality was nice on the one I used, but I kept seeing the comments online, so I just assumed. :/

Is there a good reason why the Nexus 6 doesn't have an SD card slot?

EDIT: WTF no removable battery either?

So the flagship Android phone lacks 2 features that are great advantages of the Android compared with iPhone? I'm confused?

NotBacon

Just saying what I read online, I guess. I didn't get to test out the camera or the stylus (since someone stole it...), but that makes me feel better.
The battery life sounds out of this world compared to the three hours I got on my S3 with LTE off. lol
The build quality was nice on the one I used, but I kept seeing the comments online, so I just assumed. :/

You read wrong. Note 4 has fantastic battery life, good build quality, and takes great pictures. Too bad the software leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

If you want a phone with the pros of the Note 4, but software that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out, get the Nexus 6.

Decided to go with the Galaxy note 4 on T-mobile.

I guess it makes no sense to root considering Android L will be coming soon right?

*TouchWiz L. And probably in February knowing T-Mobile and Samsung.

NotBacon

This had been discussed many times before. Google offers awesome cloud services that remove the need to have everything locally. See if they satisfy your needs. Add in the fact that all SD cards are shit (yes even class 10) when it comes to latency and read/write, compared to internal flash, and it's a no-brainer.

This had been discussed many times before. Google offers awesome cloud services that remove the need to have everything locally. See if they satisfy your needs. Add in the fact that all SD cards are shit (yes even class 10) when it comes to latency and read/write, compared to internal flash, and it's a no-brainer.

The issue would be that using Cloud services will hit the battery life way more than SD cards.

You read wrong. Note 4 has fantastic battery life, good build quality, and takes great pictures. Too bad the software leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

If you want a phone with the pros of the Note 4, but software that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out, get the Nexus 6.
That's what I get for reading stuff on Reddit. >.>
I kinda need an SD card and removable battery, so the Nexus 6 might not work well with me. (Music, comics, movies, art, etc.)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I don't like the idea of having everything on the cloud. It's way more convenient to have movies, shows, pictures, and videos on an SD card than to stream it for me.

markot

Banned
SD cards can drastically alter performance. Things are simpler with only one storage. Plus they want to push their own cloud services.

Mindwipe

Xperia allows for theme customisation that changes the navigation buttons, so I doubt it's difficult.

Probably one of my favourite Xperia features,since the overall OEM UI for Xperia looks dated, but it's easy to change the most critical ones.

Yeah, it's a really nice feature - my phone looks pretty Material already.

(I like the new icons. But being able to change them without root is good news. Everyone's happy).

tzare

NO sd is one of the reasons i choose note 4 over nexus 6,it is also a bit smaller too. Already have it. Awesome device. If only didn't have so much bloat.. maybe L will fix that a bit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
NO sd is one of the reasons i choose note 4 over nexus 6,it is also a bit smaller too. Already have it. Awesome device. If only didn't have so much bloat.. maybe L will fix that a bit.
Depends on the storage. 32gb is more than enough for a phone and that's what I have with my Nexus 5. Got everything I need in apps and about 1.5gb of music and still have 23gb left.

Depends on the storage. 32gb is more than enough for a phone and that's what I have with my Nexus 5. Got everything I need in apps and about 1.5gb of music and still have 23gb left.

I've been saying that for the last few years with my 16GB iPhones, but the benefit of having larger space is that I'll be able to absolutely chuck all my favourite anime/animated sitcoms on there, all of my favourite games from Dreamcast downwards etc. without having to be choosey, I'll be able to watch/play/listen to whatever, whenever, since it'll all be on your phone.

Quasar

So the flagship Android phone lacks 2 features that are great advantages of the Android compared with iPhone? I'm confused?

They are the backwards compatibility of phones.

Here are some pics of Android 5.0 with HTC Sense 7:

bt0Pbcn.png

GxukZzW.png

Don't like that they are not using the new navigation buttons.

god damnit HTC get rid of those stupid fucking signal icons and embrace Android L's

Tommy DJ

Interesting Ars piece - http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...talks-to-android-execs-about-the-upcoming-os/

Looks like carrier bloatware can receive it's own partition in Lollipop so it will persist during OS updates and restores, but doesn't have full sys permissions and so could be uninstalled by rooted users.

That is A. Good. Thing. Hopefully it is used (Sony, get on this for the pre-installed Vine app bloatware on the Z3c stat!).

Why was this not even a thing from the start given that Android exists to push Google's services?

terrier

it really depends on what you do with y our phone. 16Gb, 12 in real life and less considering cache and other stuff, is fine probably for the average user, but if you want to use some extra features, say 1080p recording ( and if doing 60fps or 4k...) 16 is no enough if you also happen to have music or video files.

Android is an operating system. Since when was its two greatest features hardware features?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom