• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so earlier this week I was asking in this thread about whether I should get a Z Ultra, Z3 or Nexus 6.

Nexus 6 isn't out so I ruled that out.

So it was between Z Ultra and Z3. The shop didn't stock Z Ultra's anymore, so Z3 it was. I guess it was for the best, the Z Ultra screen may be huge, but the Z3 is the newer and better phone.

So yes. Just transferring my iOS stuff using this nifty cable that comes with it, and I will get to see what all the Android fuss is about. This is my first step away from iOS since smartphones became a thing. Ancient Samsung > Sony K800i > iPhone 1 > iPhone 4S > iPhone 5S > Xperia Z3.

Also I like what I see of Sony's UI and it sounds like a PS4. Good enough for me as a PlayStation fanboy.

Give me all the tips and tricks!!!

Ok, so earlier this week I was asking in this thread about whether I should get a Z Ultra, Z3 or Nexus 6.

So it was between Z Ultra and Z3. The shop didn't stock Z Ultra's anymore, so Z3 it was. I guess it was for the best, the Z Ultra screen may be huge, but the Z3 is the newer and better phone.

So yes. Just transferring my iOS stuff using this nifty cable that comes with it, and I will get to see what all the Android fuss is about.

Also I like what I see of Sony's UI and it sounds like a PS4. Good enough for me as a PlayStation fanboy.

air droid is cool, Get that :p

At least for me, it is the best looking and feeling podcast app I have used.
I'll probably try it out when I get the Nexus 6. That phone has a screen built for podcasts lol.

So yes. Just transferring my iOS stuff using this nifty cable that comes with it, and I will get to see what all the Android fuss is about. This is my first step away from iOS since smartphones became a thing. Ancient Samsung > Sony K800i > iPhone 1 > iPhone 4S > iPhone 5S > Xperia Z3.

Get some themes from the store to change the phone's look to something that matches you. Mess around with customization since that's one of the pillars of android.

Volotaire

IIRC the Z Ultra had didn't have the best screen (screen issues from Z and Z1 were still persistent) and its components are slightly outdated relative to the Z3. Moreover, you have remote play and some great battery life.

AnkitT

Oh it did? I'll have to stop my Hotmail forwarding to my Gmail then.

yeah but two things:
1) i was on cyanogenmod at the time so the email app could vary from rom to rom, and maybe this could affect the google now stuff
2) it only picked up my flight details from my outlook ID, but it didnt ever work for package tracking from amazon emails(which i dunno if they're supposed to work or not)

UK. BUT DON'T WORRY, YOU WILL ALL GET IT BEFORE ME BECAUSE -ahem, damn caps- because I need to have it forwarded to my country. But yeah, UK play store orders are leaving warehouse.

Nice. I'm in the UK too. Though I've had no email as of yet. No forwarding for me though....

Zeppu

Nice. I'm in the UK too. Though I've had no email as of yet. No forwarding for me though....

Still hasn't actually shown up on the Parcelforce (God I love that name) site yet so I can still have a semi-productive day at work without needing to refresh their page every 10 seconds.

Oni Jazar

I just switched to a Z3 from a iPhone 5S, so I'm making a similar adjustment.

Regarding controlling stuff from the lock screen, it's not a perfect solution, but you can allow widgets to be usable from your lock screen. Go into Settings - Security - and check Allow Widgets on Lock screen. It depends on the app but Gmail definitely works.

Overall I really love the phone, especially as I become more comfortable with Android and get it setup just how I want it. I expected the adjustment to be harder, but I'm really enjoying it. The only things I don't like are the camera (its really laggy and photos look kind of smeared) and the fact you can't tap at the top of the screen to scroll back to the top. The latter is such a small thing but I really miss it!

Yeah I know about the widgets but they are not good enough. I'm hoping the new lockscreen will be.

A big thing no one told me about is how important it is to disable iMessage before leaving IPhone. I missed a ton of texts because of that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wish the N5 got updated soon. It's not like the thing is out of date considering they're updating the N7 sooner.

For some reason all LTE devices (including the LTE N7) are getting it a few weeks later. Not really sure why that is, can't imagine it actually takes longer to get it ready for those. Guess it's just how they want to do the rollout, Google are always a bit weird with that stuff.

Hasney

For some reason all LTE devices (including the LTE N7) are getting it a few weeks later. Not really sure why that is, can't imagine it actually takes longer to get it ready for those. Guess it's just how they want to do the rollout, Google are always a bit weird with that stuff.

Could it be possible that it's just purely testing for the LTE driver? I mean, I know it worked on preview, but they might have a better one to help battery or something.

Zeppu

4GHyiTk.png

Let's see how good this fast mail-fowarder is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8S4PZety-4

Great review, but still completely illogical why storage options aren't 32 and 64 gb
Yep. Tablets are much more media focused than phones, and the fact that the N6 offers 32GB & 64GB versions but the tablet doesn't make no sense to me. 16GB is really not enough these days.

And yeah, that review is great. Good to see the N9 has excellent battery life.

Edit: Google keyboard is acting weird as hell right now for me. I think I need to rollback a version.

Mindwipe

I saw that on /r/android this morning but it's gone now. I'm assuming that it's just a rumour without much credibility.

Even if it does, it probably won't hit your device today.

Images are going to be the way to go.

(I still think randomising your canary first upgraders across the entire non-techy population is much dumber than just letting those people who know what an OS update is go and get it OTA, rather than forcing images. But Google gonna be Google I suppose.)

Yeah I figured I would end up flashing an image. Anyone remember how google handled that with kitkat? Do you think they'll put them up today? I'm itching to get L on my phone lol

Mindwipe

Yeah I figured I would end up flashing an image. Anyone remember how google handled that with kitkat? Do you think they'll put them up today? I'm itching to get L on my phone lol

I imagine the images for the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 at least will go up before any OTAs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I imagine the images for the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 at least will go up before any OTAs.

I don't know about that. The OTA rollout usually starts before they make the images available. But it all depends on where in the OTA queue you happen to be randomly placed, of course.

I'll be flashing either way though, since I'm currently on the preview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom