• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Let me know when the flashable image is posted on XDA for the Nexus 7 (2013). Thanks!

Just check the official Android developer site? They post images for all Nexus devices there. Don't need XDA when you've got a Nexus (unless you want custom ROMs).

Jigolo

Damn, Nexus 9 is a stellar tablet.

Engadget
Droid-Life

I'm glad. Skipping out on this version even though I find it to be the perfect size; my Nexus 10 should be able to hold out another year. N9 2015, wait for me.

I'll be waiting for 64-bit to truly mature in android for the apps and give me those 20nm chips, baby.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What sucks is it appears Android L itself isn't ready yet.

I mean google still updating the Nexus 9 at the 11th hour just makes it feel like the OS wasn't ready yet.

FFS iOS8 was like that too! Gosh damn get your shit together Google and Apple.

Toki767

What sucks is it appears Android L itself isn't ready yet.

I mean google still updating the Nexus 9 at the 11th hour just makes it feel like the OS wasn't ready yet.

FFS iOS8 was like that too! Gosh damn get your shit together Google and Apple.

Feels like we're going to see 5.0.1 or something sooner rather than later.

Groof

I expect they were planning 5.0 to be released with the Nexus 6, but it had to be delayed so they just said fuck it and release the 9 with unfinished software just to say that it's out.

#tinfoilhat

I feel like google doesn't understand how premium pricing/premium products work. At least not with the nexus 9. If you're going to charge a premium price then the entire experience needs to be both premium and consistent, which it doesn't sound like it is. Not to say it doesn't seem like a really good tablet, it definitely is. But lots of comments in reviews about cheap feeling hardware and inconsistent software. Meh.

The ars review makes my point better http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/nexus-9-review-a-premium-tablet-with-a-not-so-premium-feel/

But yeah. Kind of unfortunate. For a 50-100 cheaper it could be a lot more desirable.

kehs

Banned
I feel like google doesn't understand how premium pricing/premium products work. At least not with the nexus 9. If you're going to charge a premium price then the entire experience needs to be both premium and consistent, which it doesn't sound like it is. Not to say it doesn't seem like a really good tablet, it definitely is. But lots of comments in reviews about cheap feeling hardware and inconsistent software. Meh.

The ars review makes my point better http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/nexus-9-review-a-premium-tablet-with-a-not-so-premium-feel/

But yeah. Kind of unfortunate. For a 50-100 cheaper it could be a lot more desirable.

Do you have any idea what Boomsound costs?

SimleuqiR

Couldn't they at least wiped down the tablet....jeez.

Do you have any idea what Boomsound costs?
plzNP8h.gif

read the sound/speaker part of the ars review. They tear the fuck into the sound. Which is a shame because it's quite good on the htc one.

reKon

Banned

We should probably wait until the 5.0.1 to get a true update that should give a solid idea of how performance will be. Or we should at least wait a week until the good reviews actually come out. I think that performance and battery life are going to end up ranging from good to great, but build quality is going to be disappointing.

Right now, the Nexus 9 looks like $300 tablet. Really they should have had a 32 GB at $299 and and a 64 GB at $349.

Nvidia SHIELD Tablet may ending up slaying

Groof

GSM Arena says the build quality is top notch and worthy of its price point and are praising its audio output.

Every review I've read of this thing has been completely different. It's as if they're all reviewing a different device.

GSM Arena says the build quality is top notch and worthy of its price point and are praising its audio output.

Every review I've read of this thing has been completely different. It's as if they're all reviewing a different device.
or like a lot of cheap products, quality is inconsistent. Also gsmarena at least to me lately always seems to be overflogging.

Groof

or like a lot of cheap products, quality is inconsistent. Also gsmarena at least to me lately always seems to be overflogging.

Don't know about that. Seems more like an issue with rushed hardware. Either way, I hope there aren't any widespread quality differences for the people getting one.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Been on iOS since iPhone 2... time to switch.. just need the elusive damn invite.. want to go OPO.

Sch1sm

Sweet, Gmail just updated to material design for me. Looks really nice!

A few quick screens:

I'm liking how Android looks with Material Design. But it sucks how slowly these seem roll out. Half of my GAPPS have only just, or still haven't, been updated. I want to see it all fluidly. But, hell, at this rate I'll be waiting until 5.0 final comes around.

Guess I'll stick with my Nexus 7 (2013). Will try the official android L for a bit before going back to rooting and getting the sexiness that is greenify and gdlike battery.

New gmail is beautiful. Love material design. It doesn't get obnoxiously cute but it's also obviously not plain. Very slick.

Fuuuuuck why did the nexus 6 have to be so big and expensive. Google pls. I pledge to all that I will drop my iphone 6 like it's hot the second a good high end stock android phone comes out that is affordable off contract.

New gmail is beautiful. Love material design. It doesn't get obnoxiously cute but it's also obviously not plain. Very slick.

Fuuuuuck why did the nexus 6 have to be so big and expensive. Google pls. I pledge to all that I will drop my iphone 6 like it's hot the second a good high end stock android phone comes out that is affordable off contract.
The new Gmail looks really nice.

I'm going to be all up in the Nexus when it releases. I can't wait to see Material Design and mess around with Lollipop.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I expect they were planning 5.0 to be released with the Nexus 6, but it had to be delayed so they just said fuck it and release the 9 with unfinished software just to say that it's out.

#tinfoilhat

If we are going tin foil hat then I'll throw this out there.

The OS team for L never thought they had a time table initially because they didn't. Every release previously of recent note has coincided with a Nexus device, but that program was DOA as far as Google was concerned in favor of this thread's title Android Silver.

The Nexus program was revived later on, but that meant crunch time for the OS crew to have Android ready for the Nexus devices. Plus it meant the new Nexus devices probably weren't in development as long as usual either.

Does that excuse Google? No. All of that turmoil over the past 12-16 months is on them. Much like the bad reviews are on them for sending out review units not up to par, and patching them till the 11th hour.

It would explain some things though.

Sasha+cat+in+tinfoil+hat+cropped.jpg

Polari

Yup. I really like how Google is adding a bit of whimsy back into interface design - the calendar is a great example, with the little sketches of scenes and characters. Apple used to do this, but the Finder icon with the face is the only remaining remnant.

The new Nexus strategy is disappointing though. Google have totally abandoned the low end. I would have been happier with a Nexus 5 and 7 refresh at the same price points.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

The OS team for L never thought they had a time table initially because they didn't. Every release previously of recent note has coincided with a Nexus device, but that program was DOA as far as Google was concerned in favor of this thread's title Android Silver.

The Nexus program was revived later on, but that meant crunch time for the OS crew to have Android ready for the Nexus devices. Plus it meant the new Nexus devices probably weren't in development as long as usual either.

Does that excuse Google? No. All of that turmoil over the past 12-16 months is on them. Much like the bad reviews are on them for sending out review units not up to par, and patching them till the 11th hour.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u8EmMSnM83A/TYK7CwmlY2I/AAAAAAAAAL0/nhrctYiikQ8/Sasha+cat+in+tinfoil+hat+cropped.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]
Interesting take. I think Google always planned for L to come in the fall but maybe the Nexus stuff did screw things up.

Talon

The real answer is that 12 months is an incredibly short time line for OS upgrades with substantive features. Even for extremely lean operations (in terms of bodies) like Apple and Google compared to Microsoft, project management of a product that large on a fixed timeline without a moving target is extremely challenging.

thenexus6

I got the new gmail update. I removed my hotmail from the email add and switched over so both are in gmail now. I like it all neatly in one app now.

I am not a fan of inbox at all, I guess I don't have the needs or a busy life to really utilise it.

What's the best recommended practice for charging? With my 4S and 5S I was really lazy and ran down the battery regularly, but I don't want my Z3 to suffer the same fate.

Is it fine to just charge it whenever at home? Or is there a certain percentage threshold that's better than others?

Got the new Gmail update. I love material design so much, although it's so colorful now that I'm still getting used to it. I bought Fenix too and just can't get enough of the iu + black theme on OLED looks so good.

What's the best recommended practice for charging? With my 4S and 5S I was really lazy and ran down the battery regularly, but I don't want my Z3 to suffer the same fate.

Is it fine to just charge it whenever at home? Or is there a certain percentage threshold that's better than others?

From what I've read, it's always best to charge it. Even if you can't get it to full, it's better for the health of the battery to be closer to full than it is to be closer to empty. I'm interested in what others know, though.

My phone came with two batteries so I just swap them out before work every day, so they're getting used about half as much as a fixed battery phone.

Drifters

Sasha+cat+in+tinfoil+hat+cropped.jpg

Not so tinfoil hat if you take into the consideration the changes behind Chrome and Android over the past 6 months. That said, K1's are a new "leg" of ARM (pun) and thus will have bugs. The FUD over these sites reviewing code from August and NOT reviewing the retail code pushed last night (800Mbs or better) leaves me to believe that Google's Android team was working up until launch day (yesterday).

I think the Nexus 9 is going to be a killer platform for Google as it really does breach iPad territory in terms of form factor and design. Eco-systems at this point are about as stupid as the 900p and 1080p discussions between the Xbone and and PS4 so if you want to have that argument, talk to a brick wall that may care. If you're on the fence, for the love of god, wait 2-3 weeks for the Android Central review that purposing came out and stated they are trying the final (retail) code on the N9 before you make snap judgements. If you want to read more, hit the link:
http://www.androidcentral.com/about-our-nexus-reviews

As for me, I'm water falling my N7 2013 to my wife and getting the N9 for myself. The N9 still seems as if it will make a huge consumer splash because of the design and Android 5.0; at this point, the consumer will judge with their dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom