• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
I'm not waiting on the OTA. I've been flashing the stock odex version on every release. XDA would probably have something up tomorrow, right?

Pyrokai

Hey guys, not a reg in this thread and have fallen out of the Android loop for the past couple years.

Couple quick and dirty questions:

1. What are the best "flagship" Android phones right now that have the CLOSEST to stock Android you can get that's still supported with regular updates? My findings are telling me it's the Nexus 5, Nexus 6, and Moto X. Any others?

2. Are these 3 phones compatible with any network right now? And are there any that are ONLY available off-contract? I remember that used to be a thing....

Thanks!!

Hey guys, not a reg in this thread and have fallen out of the Android loop for the past couple years.

1. What are the best "flagship" Android phones right now that have the CLOSEST to stock Android you can get that's still supported with regular updates? My findings are telling me it's the Nexus 5, Nexus 6, and Moto X. Any others?

2. Are these 3 phones compatible with any network right now? And are there any that are ONLY available off-contract? I remember that used to be a thing....

Thanks!!
just the moto g/x and nexus 5/6 and One Plus (for the stock/upgrade question), not sure about carrier compatibility as I'm not amurrican.

One Plus is only available off contract and is very inexpensive.

manfestival

Thanks!!
Pretty sure one plus one and moto g are GSM only and the others can be obtained with CDMA. So it depends on your carrier but most phones will be GSM capable

Do we have any source for the 5.0 OTA today aside from the androidpolice article from last month and the google page that may have simply meant for the release of the nexus 9 to be "public availability of 5.0?"

Pyrokai

just the moto g/x and nexus 5/6 and One Plus (for the stock/upgrade question), not sure about carrier compatibility as I'm not amurrican.

One Plus is only available off contract and is very inexpensive.

Pretty sure one plus one and moto g are GSM only and the others can be obtained with CDMA. So it depends on your carrier but most phones will be GSM capable

Cool, thanks! So I think I'm basically debating between the Nexus 5, Nexus 6, and Moto X.

Trying to figure out the pros and cons of each.....

NotBacon

Cool, thanks! So I think I'm basically debating between the Nexus 5, Nexus 6, and Moto X.

N6 for the best possible.
Moto X if the N6 is just too big.
N5 for the sheer value is fine too.

You can't go wrong.

Drifters

Looks to be $299
G-Watch-R-vs-Moto-360-01.jpg

http://m.androidcentral.com/att-sell-lg-g-watch-r-and-motorola-moto-360-starting-week

kehs

Banned
Performance: It's unpredictable. The Nexus 9 is fast, but it's twitchy. Apps will randomly take longer to load than normal, longer than I would expect - it doesn't feel fully optimized. That, or only having two cores is causing issues.
…
In terms of raw speed, I would not say the Nexus 9 is slow. The problem is more that it jumps and pauses when doing certain things, and it makes for a jarring user experience in certain situations. I can't highlight "certain situations" enough, because anyone who picks one up and just fiddles around with the homescreen and app drawer is going to say "this is incredibly fast, what are you smoking?" those are not the sort of problems the Nexus 9 has. The raw speed is there, it's just not there all the time.

Tegra'd

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/03/nexus-9-review-a-little-better-on-paper-than-in-practice/

if you're ok with the fact that the nexus 6 is fucking huge then get that, easy choice. Unless you mean off contract. Then it will cost you. But if you don't mind spending a lot then once again, easy choice.

Otherwise get a Nexus 5 if you want something cheap that will get upgrades really fast but it's already a year old. One Plus should get upgrades fast as well. Moto X is a good choice if you want to go through a carrier. Can't go wrong with it.

that review is basically how I feel. It seems good but I can't say I'd be willing to go for it at 400 bucks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the rub on the Nexus 9 is Google sent out an OTA yesterday afternoon even though the embargo was today. It was 800 megs too so not exactly a small patch.

That's why you see all of this review confusion.

Drifters

Guys... Lollipop is going to be optimized for Tegra because of the N9. I'm not surprised we're seeing "off" results on initial reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom