• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

My Z2 arrived... My early impression is that it seem the quality is a step down from my Z1.

Also I never knew that the black one has purple sides...

Does it? Pictures show silver/white sides. Maybe its a different version. I'm looking to take the jump from M7 to the Z2 but damn these babies are pricey! Would be cool if you could give some impressions of it after some use.

-PXG-

I've bought a Cubot P6, cheap Chinese smartphone it has Android 4.2.2. Its my first smartphone and I'm still trying to figure it out as the instructions are shit and I cant find anywhere with the info I need.

How in the blue fucking hell do I turn off notification sounds for outgoing messages/texts? I've been in the message settings and the only option it gives me is to turn it all off all together. No toggle for outgoing and incoming.

I just looked it up

Daaaaaaang

Straight from the Chinese ghetto. You sure it ain't from North Korea?

bryanee

I just looked it up

Daaaaaaang

Straight from the Chinese ghetto. You sure it ain't from North Korea?

lol yeah. To be fair its not all that bad. Screen is good and responsive. I don't have much of a basis for comparison as I've never had a smartphone and I barely uses mobiles any way so instead of paying stupid money or having a contract I got this for cheap.

Works well enough for me and I did look into it before hand and people seemed to like it and what genuine reviews I could find on YT were generally positive.

Some specs for people who have never seen it.

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/c9bf2a98

I don't even know if any of that is good or bad for the £65 I paid for it.

Does it? Pictures show silver/white sides. Maybe its a different version. I'm looking to take the jump from M7 to the Z2 but damn these babies are pricey! Would be cool if you could give some impressions of it after some use.

Yeah I'll give some impressive as I also had a M7.

I went from an M7 ->G2 ->Z1 ->Z2

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My Z2 arrived... My early impression is that it seem the quality is a step down from my Z1.

Also I never knew that the black one has purple sides...

That sucks. Seems like despite the Camera M8 is the way to go.

Maybe the LG will give us something, but that UI looks hideous.

Eleuin

The soft keys on my Nexus 4 stopped working today, doesn't seem like there is a definite solution either.

Guess its crappy virtual buttons until this gets solved (lol)

Nothing there apart from the ability to change the notification sound. Urgh.

No option for it in the message app settings or the phones actual audio settings either.

one thing you can try is to disable the messaging sound then use a 3rd party notification sound customization app to set up an incoming sound.

The soft keys on my Nexus 4 stopped working today, doesn't seem like there is a definite solution either.

one more W for #TeamHardButt

MattDoza

-PXG-

I didn't realize the new OT was up. Thought Android GAF went silent for a day or two, there.

Really tempted to use this. Only reluctant because I fear for real disappointment with that game.

I have no interest in the game either, but it is great animation.

Blablurn

lol yeah. To be fair its not all that bad. Screen is good and responsive. I don't have much of a basis for comparison as I've never had a smartphone and I barely uses mobiles any way so instead of paying stupid money or having a contract I got this for cheap.

Works well enough for me and I did look into it before hand and people seemed to like it and what genuine reviews I could find on YT were generally positive.

Some specs for people who have never seen it.

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/c9bf2a98

I don't even know if any of that is good or bad for the £65 I paid for it.

Cubot is actually not that unknown :D You can buy it here in Germany as well. They seem to make pretty solid Android phones.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've bought a Cubot P6, cheap Chinese smartphone it has Android 4.2.2. Its my first smartphone and I'm still trying to figure it out as the instructions are shit and I cant find anywhere with the info I need.

How in the blue fucking hell do I turn off notification sounds for outgoing messages/texts? I've been in the message settings and the only option it gives me is to turn it all off all together. No toggle for outgoing and incoming.

1) Turn off both outgoing and incoming notification sound for that messaging app
2) Install another messaging app from the Play store (e.g. Google Hangouts)
3) ...
4) Profit

Groof

How the hell did they stop working unless the screen broke?

After few hours with the Z2, my verdict...

Screen- it's OK not the best but not bad. No wow factor. HTC, Samsung & LG screen seems better.

Sound- dual front speaker is OK too. Boomsound is better. It need more volumn.

Performance- snappy but a bit occasional lag.

Camera- compare to the Z1 it's almost the same with slight improvement in low light. I still say pureview 808 is still king of camera phone.

Battery- um only had it a few hours but seems good.

UI- same as Z1, I like it cause it's stock like with more function and less ugly.

Build- like I said earlier the built quality is a step down from the Z1. Doesn't feel like it will look that good after a few months if youre not careful. Also the black color has a purple tint side.

Z2 is Mediocre all around!!!

So far in the pass 3 years I had 3 x Samsung phones, 2 X HTC, 1 Nokia, 1 LG and 2 x Sony.. And a few apples.

2 phone that are my favorite is the galaxy s2 and the HTC One m7.

Hopefully that's just a case and not the actual back of the phone. I hate glossy plastic.

Back buttons are still dumb as hell.

Yay software buttons.

Headset jack on the bottom, where it belongs.

Edit: ^^^^ Based on your impressions, the Z2 doesn't sound mediocre to me, just a bit underwhelming/nothing special. Then again, I haven't actually used one, so there's that.

Tommy DJ

Can LG and Samsung please stop using slimy plastic? I'm not asking you not to use plastic but asking you to put more effort in using a material that feels better than a $50 consumer electronic from Kmart.

Toki767

Can LG and Samsung please stop using slimy plastic? I'm not asking you not to use plastic but asking you to put more effort in using a material that feels better than a $50 consumer electronic from Kmart.

There's a reason that they use plastic and it's not entirely because it's cheaper. It's also just lighter to hold compared to the material other companies use.

Groof

There's a reason that they use plastic and it's not entirely because it's cheaper. It's also just lighter to hold compared to the material other companies use.

But there are better ways to use plastic than slippery gloss. A light device with a slippery surface is just asking to be accidentally dropped several times.
LG seemed to have gotten it right with the G Pro 2, so why can they not include the same style in the G3?

Tommy DJ

As I said in my post, I am not saying not to use plastic. I am saying that you should probably try to use a material that doesn't feel like shit. Slippery gloss is probably the dumbest material because it doesn't look good, its slippery, and gets obvious hairline scratches easily. Despite the textured back of the Galaxy S5, it still feels slimy. I don't know how they achieved that with what seems to be a textured matte material but they did.

Its not like decent feeling plastics are uncharted waters. Nokia has used it in their phones and so has Motorola. I can't remember but I reckon the last Oppo phone I touched used better feeling plastics than anything from LG or Samsung.

terrier

i think glossy plastic looks 'nice' in photos and in the shop, once you have bought the phone it is when you discover it is slippery.
I personally love the plastic back of the nexus 5, it is awesome, has good grip and like it way more than glossy plastic or glass back like z1or metalic like iphones. It is classy and practical at the same time and doesn't feel cheap at all.

Pooya

glossy slippery backs make tons of sense to use combined with edge to edge/slim bezel front, makes the phone quite a bit more fragile and prone to shattering in drops, then you gotta pay half the price of the phone to replace that glass :D

It could be that only the white version is glossy, like with Nexus 5.

I really can't believe how they messed with Dolphin's design. Is it 2005 again? Who the hell thought that would be a good idea? I sincerely hope they leave that crap out of the iPad version.

Blablurn

My LGG2 arrived today. Thats one nice phone. And after using Stock Android for the last years, I don't mind the UI at all.

Blackhead

Redarse

TheWirecutter - tech recommendation experts, review compilation site. Like Metacritic except updated less frequently. They have a smartphone section with recommendation topics like "Best Weather App". Their "Best Android smartphone" topic was just updated recently, crowning the recently released S5 over the One M8 and Nexus 5. (NB: Their "favorite smartphone" is a different topic altogether, currently recommends the iPhone 5s and, coincidentally, is usually updated in October).

Groof

They're a pretty reputable source that do extensive testings to try and find the best option within a category for the money. It's a pretty unbiased site because they're always good on pointing out exactly why they think it's the best, but also all the flaws that come with it. On top of that they always have "runner-ups" and options for people who are looking for something different.

Take that article for example. The "winner" is the S5, runner-up is the M8, the "contract free" is the Nexus 5 and the step down (aka budget) is the Moto G. I enjoy their articles because they actually do proper testing and also share exactly how and what they did.

Blackhead

Redarse
They're a pretty reputable source that do extensive testings... It's a pretty unbiased site... I enjoy their articles because they actually do proper testing and also share exactly how and what they did.

Actually thewirecutter rarely does any testing themselves (and certainly not for their Android phones). Their usual m.o. is to read a range of reviews, compile the consensus, and then present recommendations.

Groof

Actually thewirecutter rarely does any testing themselves (and certainly not for their Android phones). Their usual m.o. is to read a range of reviews, compile the consensus, and then present recommendations.

Really now. So far all of the articles I've read by them have usually been testing conducted by the person who wrote it. I thought it was the same for all their stuff.

Blackhead

Redarse
Really now. So far all of the articles I've read by them have usually been testing conducted by the person who wrote it. I thought it was the same for all their stuff.

Well it's pretty obvious when comparing the The Best Android Phone, Spring 2014 to The iPhone is our favorite smartphone. The former article is always quoting experts' opinions while the latter has a lot of "I" and "Me".

I like theWirecutter, and swear by its recommendations for a lot of stuff, but I think its smartphone section is completely wrong headed.

Groof

thespot84

I know it's not really the place to put this, but if anyone uses Google Music on Chrome I'd very much appreciate it if you gave my (pre-alpha version) extension a go and told me what you think:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/musicbubbles/pjimkanhpmeohjmkdjefoodcmigdbcop

Persistent quick controls of sorts. Still in early stages.

So i got it installed. it's the little headphones circle on the bottom right?

1. I started a radio station by clicking on it in my 'listen now' section. It's currently playing, and the 'next' and 'back' button don';t do anything. Hitting 'play' pauses and plays the stream as expected.

2. The interaction to get the 'move' and 'blacklist' buttons up is really tough. More of a design issue than i bug i think. i can get them to show by just hovering for a second, but if i don't move the cursor exactly to the new button it disappears.

3. what's the expected behavior with the widget? Is it supposed to show up in other browser tabs? On my desktop? Only on the play.google.com page? I always have the stock bottom buttons available, so if it's limited to the music tab I'm not sure what the benefits are.

Hope that helps.

E: I like the basic idea a lot, and would love to have quick controls either in my other tabs or even on my desktop. keep at it!

Post Edit: The widget shows up on Gaf, but not reddit or gmail...

Pratfall

I wouldn't be overly suspicious of apple bias. Nathan Edwards (the guy who wrote that write up) is a long time android user and formed Maximum PC editor. He has been tweeting about his personal experience with all the phones in his write up over the last couple of weeks. While he does do a lot of quoting, it isn't simply a round-up of others opinions.

thespot84

If neither of those appeal to you, either because of their large size, unintuitive interfaces, or high price when unsubsidized, we recommend waiting for Google’s next Nexus phone or the next Moto X, which should be coming out late summer/early fall. Either can be had for $350, but the Nexus is probably the better deal since it has newer, faster processors, which means it will likely last longer than the Moto X before you need to upgrade. That said, the Moto X is still quite good and has a customizable exterior and streamlined interface. The few additions Motorola makes to stock Android are actually useful. However, it’s eight months old and its processor isn’t as fast as last year’s flagship phones. The low sticker price may help you mitigate that fear, but the smart money is on waiting.

8 Months old and still missing the point. smh

Zeppu

So i got it installed. it's the little headphones circle on the bottom right?

1. I started a radio station by clicking on it in my 'listen now' section. It's currently playing, and the 'next' and 'back' button don';t do anything. Hitting 'play' pauses and plays the stream as expected.

2. The interaction to get the 'move' and 'blacklist' buttons up is really tough. More of a design issue than i bug i think. i can get them to show by just hovering for a second, but if i don't move the cursor exactly to the new button it disappears.

3. what's the expected behavior with the widget? Is it supposed to show up in other browser tabs? On my desktop? Only on the play.google.com page? I always have the stock bottom buttons available, so if it's limited to the music tab I'm not sure what the benefits are.

Hope that helps.

E: I like the basic idea a lot, and would love to have quick controls either in my other tabs or even on my desktop. keep at it! Also, no one is more tolerant towards unfinished stuff than Androidians.

Post Edit: The widget shows up on Gaf, but not reddit or gmail...

Awesome. Thanks for the comments. It should technically show up on every single tab but in order to keep it as lightweight as possible I've done as much (mostly animtions and position stuff) as possible through CSS insetad of JS which in turn causes it to not show up if there's some funny CSS rules which interfere with it.

The concept is, as you pointed out, to have persistent one click controls on as many places as possible to avoid having to fumble to find the appropriate tab to have basic controls. It's still in the first version so I haven't even started getting data from the GM page, just blindly pushing commands, which is why I can't show song title or even play/pause status right now. I decided however to put on the Chrome store (albeit not published) to get a few testers, so any critique is greatly appreciated. That being said, Prev and Next should work, and for me it works on reddit. Debugging ahoy! Yay.

And I'm derailing. Sorry all but I figured you lot might be the biggest community on GAF which uses google music.

Kalamari

New Android user here, I should have dumped my windows phone earlier, it's a hunk of junk compared to this LG G2.

As I said in my post, I am not saying not to use plastic. I am saying that you should probably try to use a material that doesn't feel like shit. Slippery gloss is probably the dumbest material because it doesn't look good, its slippery, and gets obvious hairline scratches easily. Despite the textured back of the Galaxy S5, it still feels slimy. I don't know how they achieved that with what seems to be a textured matte material but they did.

Its not like decent feeling plastics are uncharted waters. Nokia has used it in their phones and so has Motorola. I can't remember but I reckon the last Oppo phone I touched used better feeling plastics than anything from LG or Samsung.

In-hand, I find that glossy plastic is actually very gripable and not slippery at all.
Before I got a case for my iPad Mini I hated trying to hold it because of its slick aluminum back. I had to put my finger tips on the glossy Apple logo to get any kind of grip on the thing.

I don't love how they look like fingerprint magnets (depending on the color), and I do prefer the kind of material that Nokia uses for their Windows phones, but I don't mind glossy plastic much on my phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom