• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyzjohn

Banned
I've soon had it running on my phone for 24 hours, with no rebooting or any other serious issues. There are bugs and unfinished stuff here and there, yeah, but if you don't mind that too much this seems totally usable as a daily driver so far.

I hope it stays that way for me, because I really don't feel like going back to KK now. Even though a lot is unfinished, what's there makes the experience so much smoother and more pleasant than before. KK feels old and stale once you've gotten a taste of L.

Did you do a full wipe or just install over KK and keep all your apps/data?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
MMS doesn't seem to be working particularly well. I can send, but only if I'm not on Wi-Fi. Can't seem to receive at all. SMS works fine.

Did you do a full wipe or just install over KK and keep all your apps/data?

Full wipe, you're bound to run into tons of issues if you don't do that with something like this.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't really know of any GPS trouble shooting apps or anything. Its kinda binary, either its working right or it isn't. I would return it.

Thanks for the reply. I did a tech chat with HTC, they had me boot to safe mode and some other steps and now it's working! I'm glad I didn't have to turn it in because I'm very happy with the phone otherwise. Battery life is incredible.

Except the one you linked to is from an ebay shop which even states it has the manufacturers warranty on it.

Technically anything you buy from eBay voids the manufacturer's warranty, most explicitly state you need a sales receipt from an authorized reseller to claim warranty and eBay is never an authorized reseller.

Doopliss

Nope. doesn't work either. Opening an email link in Chrome makes the Chrome activity "become" Gmail, and you have to back out to actually get back to Chrome. The other way around works though (opening a web link from Gmail), but maybe it always did?

Not working yet. What does happen though is the parent app takes over the recent app thumbnail.

Dianne Hackborn wrote a post about this on G+. She lists some ways you can test the new behaviour that (presumably) actually work. I guess the thing I suggested didn't because Chrome.

rc213

MMS doesn't seem to be working particularly well. I can send, but only if I'm not on Wi-Fi. Can't seem to receive at all. SMS works fine.

Full wipe, you're bound to run into tons of issues if you don't do that with something like this.

No mms here either otherwise everything is kosher.

For those having MMS issues try this:

In hangouts go to settings>SMS>disable the "enable merged conversations."

This did the trick for me and MMS now works perfectly. I'm on Straight Talk ATT.

This fixed it for me.

yyzjohn

Banned
Think I'll wait until the next release and not fuck around with root this time. I think that might be why I got that boot loop last time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No mms here either otherwise everything is kosher.

This fixed it for me.

You can now both send and receive MMS? I still can't seem to receive them. I get the message that there's an MMS to download, but then it never actually downloads.

I was in the OT thread about whats the best phone out right now, and i saw posters mentioning LG G3. So m wondering when does thw LG G3 come out in the US?

tzare

Installed Android L on my Nexus5, feels really good, but had to go back to KK because wifi did not keep settings (i use static ip instead of dhcp) and everytime i rebooted phone had to put manually tmy ip settings (not the psw), weird bug.
I also found some other minor bugs, google play music did not download music over wifi (maybe related to the previous bug), so it was almost useless since i use it quite a bit and would kill my data plan. ALso Google docs and sheets didn't install from play store, error 212 all the time.
Plus known issues with twitter app and dropbox/carousel. Didn't test further since these issues where too much for everyday use for me.

Can't wait for a new version that fixes all those issues, or final release

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I also found some other minor bugs, google play music did not download music over wifi (maybe related to the previous bug), so it was almost useless since i use it quite a bit and would kill my data plan.

Yeah, there seems to be some issues with apps actually knowing there's a Wi-Fi connection. I ran into the same thing with Play Music, and solved it by simply unchecking "only download on Wi-Fi" (or whatever the setting is called). That made it start downloading right away, without actually having to deactivate Wi-Fi.

Nicktendo86

Angonek ow whether future developer builds will be ota or will have to manually flash? Just thinking if I can be bothered to flash every time...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Another new thing: Bluetooth volume is now properly synced between the phone and the BT device. Meaning that if I change the volume on my BT headset (a Sony Ericsson MW600 in my case) the BT volume on the phone is adjusted accordingly, and vice versa. Before they were separate, but now you only have one shared volume level to worry about.

Cheers. Might take the dive anyway...

Can't hurt, as long as you don't mind wiping all data from your phone (you HAVE TO do a clean flash, or you will run into issues - of course, there's nothing stopping you from backing up important stuff first). It's just as easy to go back to KK if necessary.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm on 10.3.1, which shows as the latest version. Where are you getting 11 from? Under gesture and sonar there is an option that says entry location when you scroll down and you want to change it to hide.

Dolphin 11 has been out since April. It is terrible though, don't update. I am reverting back once again.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
wQ1qha4.jpg

JoeFu

Banned

Lol, regardless, you don't want Dolphin 11 anyway! It is terrible. Stick to 10, I know I am.

Using random keyboards seems like a bad idea to me.

It probably is a bad idea but I haven't entered any personal stuff yet. It works so well though.

Lol, regardless, you don't want Dolphin 11 anyway! It is terrible. Stick to 10, I know I am.

Using random keyboards seems like a bad idea to me.

Well that sucks that they made it worse. It's the best browser for me. My phone doesn't get hot using it and battery use is much better than other browsers. I just turned off auto updates so I won't get it.

asdad123

Does anyone own a Galaxy Tab S 10.5? I can get one with the book cover for roughly $400 and have been looking for a tablet.

I was going to wait for the next nexus tablet, but this seems like a good deal.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

-PXG-

Wow, the L keyboard skin is pretty nice.

In other news, I bought a iPod Touch yesterday. I haven't had an iDevice in yeaaaaaars. It's good, but small as fuck. How do people use these things? I don't understand the fuss over Apple. But hey, I like having a dedicated music player. My iPod classic from 2008 is basically in hospice right now. I had to replace it.

Oh, and sometime next week, hopefully, I'm ditching my Galaxy S4 and getting a Nexus 5 in preparation for L. Can't wait for that. I'm going back to the stock ROM on my Nexus 7. That too will hop on L when the time comes.

Wow, the L keyboard skin is pretty nice.

In other news, I bought a iPod Touch yesterday. I haven't had an iDevice in yeaaaaaars. It's good, but small as fuck. How do people use these things? I don't understand the fuss over Apple. But hey, I like having a dedicated music player. My iPod classic from 2008 is basically in hospice right now. I had to replace it.

Oh, and sometime next week, hopefully, I'm ditching my Galaxy S4 and getting a Nexus 5 in preparation for L. Can't wait for that. I'm going back to the stock ROM on my Nexus 7. That too will hop on L when the time comes.

Why would you get rid of your S4? You can install google edition ROM and run L too

-PXG-

Why would you get rid of your S4? You can install google edition ROM and run L too

I know, but I'd rather get it via OTA straight from Google and not have to wait for someone in the community to deliver it instead. I've used different CM ROMs over the years in order to emulate that pure Android experience. Now, I figured I'll just get the real thing and call it a day. I'm tired of jumping from ROM to ROM and dealing with nightlies. Now I only install milestone and stable releases and even that is a pain. I don't mind downloading updates for kernels or radios though. That I'll still do.

I know, but I'd rather get it via OTA straight from Google and not have to wait for someone in the community to deliver it instead. I've used different CM ROMs over the years in order to emulate that pure Android experience. Now, I figured I'll just get the real thing and call it a day. I'm tired of jumping from ROM to ROM and dealing with nightlies. Now I only install milestone and stable releases and even that is a pain. I don't mind downloading updates for kernels or radios though. That I'll still do.

The google edition ROM comes straight from Samsung. Its not a nightly and often times comes a few days to a week after the official release for Nexus devices. I've been using it on my S4. At this point it makes more sense to at least wait until Fall and see if there is a Nexus 6 if that is the route you want to go. A N5 is not a worthy upgrade from the s4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom