• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

OK just flashed L onto my nexus 7, this is as slick as fuck. LOVE the card animations, can already tell it will be hard using my n4 with KitKat!!! Hope the CM guys get L working soon!

linkboy

OK just flashed L onto my nexus 7, this is as slick as fuck. LOVE the card animations, can already tell it will be hard using my n4 with KitKat!!! Hope the CM guys get L working soon!

I don't think CM will touch it until it's final (it's a developer preview right now)

Design wise. It's too slippery. The M7's shape and design was way better. I'm also having so many software bugs that are annoying (Pebble app keeps freezing, bluetooth problems, motion launch works half the time, etc). The new Sense is meh. Doesn't really make it worse or better experience wise for me. I honestly don't understand why people like it so much (yes Boomsound is great, but I've used it twice in 1 week).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It is very slippery. I put a case on it right away. The double tap to wake isn't as consistent as the lumias I used before either. Sense is butter smooth and fast, though. Battery life is fantastic, and of course I love boomsound, so I'm really digging the device right now.

Kilrathi

I am looking into getting a tablet, with some of the gift cards got from graduation.
I know the refresh is for the this year is already under it ways and samsung has their tab 4 line up out right now.

I am looking to use it for development with Unreal Engine 4(PBR is so pretty) instead of killing my battery with my Galaxy S4 like I did at E3 with a port of the Oculus Rift project I was working on.

Ive been using Aviate launcher for a few days, and I really like the look and style of everything. I also enjoy how it auto switches to different info depending on where you are, it seems to have a lot of cool little features that would be really awesome for people that dont want to fuss around to much with android.

But, I DO want to fuss around with things, and I really like to have complete control of everything! So I will be going back to Nova, but I was wondering if any body has any recommendations on apps or wallpapers, or widgets or pretty much anything that would help me make Nova look all sleek and fancy flat like Aviate looks.

MarkusRJR

So I heard the battery on the G3 isn't too hot (Nexus 5 levels of screen-on time). Were the early reports of great battery life full of shit? What happened there?

I really wanna get the G3 but if the battery is Nexus 5 level I might as well get a Nexus 5 to save money (or a OPO).

Design wise. It's too slippery. The M7's shape and design was way better. I'm also having so many software bugs that are annoying (Pebble app keeps freezing, bluetooth problems, motion launch works half the time, etc). The new Sense is meh. Doesn't really make it worse or better experience wise for me. I honestly don't understand why people like it so much (yes Boomsound is great, but I've used it twice in 1 week).
If it's sitting on a desk you have to give it a nudge before you use the motion launch gestures. I also find if I'm pulling it out of my pocket I'll need to point the phone up a little bit before doing a gesture.

It is pretty slippery and I wouldn't put a case on it, so I can agree with you for not wanting it for that reason alone. I've just adjusted the way I pull it out. Whatever though man you know what you like and need

XBP

I'm not so sure if i'm very convinced about getting the LG G3 anymore. Erica's first impressions showed that the device's battery life isn't that great plus it gets rather hot. The display is also calibrated rather weirdly.

It would have been so awesome if LG had made a 1080p, 5.3' device with the same bezels and design as the G3. Would've been a perfect device.

webkid94

Right now I have an HTC One M7, rooted, custom rom, greenified...and while I'm getting really good standby battery, once I start using it for things like listening to music (on my phone, not streaming) and browsing reddit (reddit sync), the percentage starts dropping. Right now its around 33% with 3 hours of screen time, with the screen using about 50% of the battery. Is that the norm for android smartphones? As much as I love this phone for the amazing display (a double edged sword in terms of battery life), boomsound and sense UI, the battery life is just meh.

Anyone with a Galaxy smartphone (S4, S5, Note 3) want to give me some pros/cons about their phone? I'm considering one of those three, but more likely to get the Note 3 since it will get a lot cheaper off contract when the Note 4 comes out. Do you guys have extended batteries that work? What brand? Or if there are other phones with removable batteries or at least REALLY big ones, recommend me them please!

Thank you.

Fatalah

Do y'all think we have to wait till August again for the x fone 2?

August is likely, but here's some good news -- Motorola wants to launch the Moto X+1 and Moto 360 at the same time, so the X+1's release date could move up.

PhoneArena said:
Our source says that Motorola wants to release both the Moto 360 and the X+1 at the same time, and make both available through Moto Maker.

MotoX+1.png

EvetS

Right now I have an HTC One M7, rooted, custom rom, greenified...and while I'm getting really good standby battery, once I start using it for things like listening to music (on my phone, not streaming) and browsing reddit (reddit sync), the percentage starts dropping. Right now its around 33% with 3 hours of screen time, with the screen using about 50% of the battery. Is that the norm for android smartphones? As much as I love this phone for the amazing display (a double edged sword in terms of battery life), boomsound and sense UI, the battery life is just meh.

Anyone with a Galaxy smartphone (S4, S5, Note 3) want to give me some pros/cons about their phone? I'm considering one of those three, but more likely to get the Note 3 since it will get a lot cheaper off contract when the Note 4 comes out. Do you guys have extended batteries that work? What brand? Or if there are other phones with removable batteries or at least REALLY big ones, recommend me them please!

Thank you.

Try this kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2564895.

I have good battery life and smoothness with it on sense.

JoeFu

Banned
It's exactly the same as the KK keyboard as far as I can tell, only with a fresh coat of paint. But it is a good keyboard, yes.

What languages are those? Works fine in Swedish, at least.

I dunno. I'm making far less mistakes with this keyboard than I used to with the stock keyboard. For some reason whenever I typed and it would always come up as AMD and it annoyed the crap out of me. The L keyboard is making better corrections

-PXG-

Welp....My S4 is fucking bricked. Odin won't even save it.

I was gonna buy a Nexus 5 anyway plus toying with the idea of ditching AT&T. So, yeah.....gonna go out shopping tomorrow. Bittersweet. I have so much shit on my phone plus my contacts. Goddamn. I don't wanna change my number either.

NotBacon

So I heard the battery on the G3 isn't too hot (Nexus 5 levels of screen-on time).

I'm not so sure if i'm very convinced about getting the LG G3 anymore. Erica's first impressions showed that the device's battery life isn't that great plus it gets rather hot. The display is also calibrated rather weirdly.

Called it.
I never understood the hype. When I saw how many pixels they wanted to push, coupled with even a modern mobile gpu..... it was destined to be subpar.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The place holder on screen keys in L are interesting. I hear they're only placeholders? So they changed the old ones only to again change the new ones? Something is up.

tzare

It's exactly the same as the KK keyboard as far as I can tell, only with a fresh coat of paint. But it is a good keyboard, yes.

What languages are those? Works fine in Swedish, at least.
Catalan for me. I use both spanish, supported, an catalan and i use swype which works great withboth languages at the same time, no lag issues, maybe because i don't have it sync'ed. I tried swiftkey but its predictions are more a miss than a hit.
However i always try to stay as close as possible to stock, and android L kb also looks awesome. Will have to wait until catalan is supported, just like happens with GNow

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Welp....My S4 is fucking bricked. Odin won't even save it.

I was gonna buy a Nexus 5 anyway plus toying with the idea of ditching AT&T. So, yeah.....gonna go out shopping tomorrow. Bittersweet. I have so much shit on my phone plus my contacts. Goddamn. I don't wanna change my number either.

You don't have your contacts synced to your Google account? And photos, etc?

The only thing I really lose if I wipe/lose my phone is game saves (wish more game devs would use cloud saves) and texts (wish those were synced with Hangouts), and that stuff can be manually backed up with something like Helium. Everything else is in da cloud.

How do I get the question mark and so on on the main page of the l keyboard?

You can't, but it's pretty quick to just hold the period key and swipe right.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Am I mad or is the heads up notifications not working yet on the L preview? Can't seem to get them yo pop up...

It works when someone calls while you're using the phone. You get a heads-up notification instead of it taking over the entire screen, so you can keep doing what you're doing. Pretty nice. I think the battery saving mode uses it as well, but I haven't seen that yet. No other apps have been updated to support it, so you won't get it for anything else. And most apps really shouldn't use it anyway, it's only meant for important stuff that you need to act on right away.

Nicktendo86

It works when someone calls while you're using the phone. You get a heads-up notification instead of it taking over the entire screen, so you can keep doing what you're doing. Pretty nice. I think the battery saving mode uses it as well, but I haven't seen that yet. No other apps have been updated to support it, so you won't get it for anything else. And most apps really shouldn't use it anyway, it's only meant for important stuff that you need to act on right away.
Ah OK cool, thought it would be working for hangouts. Apparently the twitter beta had been updated to support them, but I don't get twitter motivations so can't twat it yet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ah OK cool, thought it would be working for hangouts. Apparently the twitter beta had been updated to support them, but I don't get twitter motivations so can't twat it yet.

No, Hangouts hasn't been updated, it's still the same old thing. Hmm, I don't know if I think Twitter is something that should be bothering you like that, a regular notification seems enough to me. It's not gonna be a good thing if too many apps abuse this feature to go "hey, look at me!".

Nicktendo86

No, Hangouts hasn't been updated, it's still the same old thing. Hmm, I don't know if I think Twitter is something that should be bothering you like that, a regular notification seems enough to me. It's not gonna be a good thing if too many apps abuse this feature to go "hey, look at me!".
True I just want to see it work.

Edit: BTW, would like to echo what others have said any maybe be wary of using L as a daily driver for your phone but go for it with your tablet, works fine. Only had a few issues, vine not working, Netflix doest seem to if I have a device ready to cast on, other than that everything works.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
True I just want to see it work.

Edit: BTW, would like to echo what others have said any maybe be wary of using L as a daily driver for your phone but go for it with your tablet, works fine. Only had a few issues, vine not working, Netflix doest seem to if I have a device ready to cast on, other than that everything works.

I've been using it since it was released, and except for MMS not working properly (although this might be a Hangouts issue) and some other small bugs it seems perfectly fine to use as a daily driver. Yeah, Netflix seems to work on its own, but if there's a device it can cast to (I use Netflix on my PS4 for this) it instantly force closes.

There are some security issues that you might want to be aware of though, to do with the fact that you can access quick settings even if the phone is locked with a pattern or whatever. In general I think that's a good idea, but the issue is that you can turn Location off from there. This means that someone could steal your phone, turn off Location, and then you can't track your phone anymore.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
principles^^

I dont even know, why android does have a flashlight app anymore.

Has stock Android ever had that? Can't remember one, must have been quite some time ago.

Anyway, there are many simple flashlight widgets in the Play Store, just try a few out. No need for a full app for this, IMO.

Husker86

principles^^

I dont even know, why android does have a flashlight app anymore.

Principles? Your principle is to not download free apps that have a mechanism to get the developer a minuscule amount of money?

Anyway, any flashlight app with a widget will make it so you never see ads, even if the actual app has them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Principles? Your principle is to not download free apps that have a mechanism to get the developer a minuscule amount of money?

Anyway, any flashlight app with a widget will make it so you never see ads, even if the actual app has them.
He might want a paid one.

NotBacon

Does the newest version of android not have a flashlight?

What is a good one without adds?

I just use Power Toggles

Right now I just have the single flashlight toggle on my widget haha. Upside is there are a ton of themes.

Need a flashlight app with no adds

one got a flashlight app with no adds to recommend?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Holy shit. The Art runtime is so much smoother

You can definitely notice apps opening significantly faster than on KK. The minor downside being that the first boot of the phone takes much longer than previously, as all pre-installed apps are compiled to native code (instead of being compiled in real-time every time they're run, as with Dalvik). App installs probably also take slightly longer because of this, and installed apps take up a bit more space. But that's a very small price to pay for a more snappy OS.

Nicktendo86

You can definitely notice apps opening significantly faster than on KK. The minor downside being that the first boot of the phone takes much longer than previously, as all pre-installed apps are compiled to native code (instead of being compiled in real-time every time they're run, as with Dalvik). App installs probably also take slightly longer because of this. But that's a very small price to pay for a more snappy OS.
Agree 100%, so worth it. Been running art on my n7 for ages and did so on my n4 before throwing cm on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom