• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, just had the battery saving mode kick in for the first time (it happens automatically when the battery drops below 15% if the feature is activated). Maaan, feels like being back on Android 2.x on some shitty low-end phone. Lag everywhere, no more smoothness (the framerate of everything is much, much lower), and all the nice animations are gone. Of course, it's worth it if it means you can squeeze some extra time out of the battery when you really need it, but it sure makes you appreciate how smooth and responsive everything is normally!

tzare

Wow, just had the battery saving mode kick in for the first time (it happens automatically when the battery drops below 15% if the feature is activated). Maaan, feels like being back on Android 2.x on some shitty low-end phone. Lag everywhere, no more smoothness (the framerate of everything is much, much lower), and all the nice animations are gone. Of course, it's worth it if it means you can squeeze some extra time out of the battery when you really need it, but it sure makes you appreciate how smooth and responsive everything is normally!
Yup noticed this too, I guess it works as lg's mode that switches off some cores when activated

And yes, art is awesome, you notice it when you go back to Dalvik. I am testing xposed, incompatible with art, and I notice quite a difference

jokkir

You guys should get a Nexus 4 ;)

eET35pJ.jpg

The battery is actually pretty bad on average lol

Cipherr

Oh you're right. Thanks for telling me my experience with it was wrong.

He has one, he isn't just fucking with you. I've not seen anyone describe the batter of the M8 as bad. On the other hand the G2 still does have the best battery life of any phone on the market. So going from a G2 to a M8 would be a move backwards, but its not 'bad' by any smartphones standards unless your unit is defective.

He has one, he isn't just fucking with you. I've not seen anyone describe the batter of the M8 as bad. On the other hand the G2 still does have the best battery life of any phone on the market. So going from a G2 to a M8 would be a move backwards, but its not 'bad' by any smartphones standards unless your unit is defective.

It is bad. I don't know if is defective or not, but it's running about the same level as my old M7. AKA bad.

Cipherr

XBP

It is bad. I don't know if is defective or not, but it's running about the same level as my old M7. AKA bad.

If you do have a defective device (which seems likely given the problems you've listed), how does that make the device itself bad? Why not claim warranty and get it replaced?

Ydahs

Musixmatch's latest update is bloody brilliant. Brings overlayed synced lyrics to any music app, including Google Play Music.

My M8 is giving me the best battery life for any smartphone I've had in the past. There is something up with yours. It's either defective or something you installed is causing WakeLocks

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Actually I think I maye have been wrong about the G2 being better (is that possible? Wow)

In any case, its pretty much across the board better than the M7 by a pretty good margin. I genuinely think you might have a defective unit.

That's not a mistake, the m8 has phablet-level battery life, it's amazing. It feels great to use your phone all day without having to worry about charging.

Schrade

Ok whats her name? I recognize her but not sure from what. I know I'm gonna be like 'derp' when I find out. :D

Her name is Lili Simmons. She played the T-Mobile girl in True Detective. (Woody's character had some rompin' with her)

Hey, guys! I need your help with my next phone purchase, as I'm too dumb to do it myself!
My Galaxy S3 finally kicked the bucket, so I need a replacement ASAP.

I've got a $650 budget and require a phone that will work with AT&T, has rad specs, and some decent water resistance.
(The S5's water resistance levels seem good enough for me.)
I went to the AT&T store and checked out the S5 and it felt pretty nice, but if there's something better than that, I would like to know.
Thank you!

vivftp

i thought that gaffer said bezels would be a lot smaller...

Just for fun I did a mock-up with this phone and the Z2, if both screens were of equal size:

z202_17_1303vs_1_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Anyways, wait and see what these devices actually are I suppose. Too bad that it seems there will be no Z Ultra variant in the near future, according to various online sources that is. I was hoping to see something I could upgrade from my Z Ultra to :(

CronoShot

Possible leaked Moto X+1 specs (from the same retailer that leaked the Moto E's specs)

Display: 5.2″ Full HD (1920×1080)
Operating System: Android 4.4.4 “KitKat”
Processor: 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
Cameras: 12MP rear, 5MP front
RAM: 2GB
Connectivity: WiFi, 4G/3G/2G, Bluetooth, NFC
Storage: 32GB, micro SD support up to 128GB
Battery: 2,900mAh

Slightly disappointing, but it's basically a Nexus 5 with a slightly bigger screen, SD card slot, much bigger battery, and a (probably) better camera, so it's not bad at all. I don't know why they didn't go with the 801 at least instead of the 800, but that's Motorola. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be somewhat cheap off contract.

Hey, guys! I need your help with my next phone purchase, as I'm too dumb to do it myself!

I've got a $650 budget and require a phone that will work with AT&T, has rad specs, and some decent water resistance.
I went to the AT&T store and checked out the S5 and it felt pretty nice, but if there's something better than that, I would like to know.
Thank you!

Might as well go with the S5 Active if you're going AT&T unless you don't like how it looks.

Avixph

Thank you!
For a water-proof phone with "rad specs" the Galaxy S5 and the Galaxy S5 Active are the best phones you can get through AT&T.

VoxPop

Thank you!

Only other waterproof phone I can think of is the Z2 which I personally much prefer over the S5. But I don't think its available on AT&T. Should be able to scoop one up unlocked and use it on AT&T bands though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thanks for the responses, everyone!
I'll go this weekend and pick up an S5, then. (Since the Active has a USB 2.0 port instead of a 3.0)

I wouldn't base the decision solely on that. How often will you be transferring enough data from/to a PC in one go that this will make a meaningful difference? I rarely ever do it these days. Not saying USB 3.0 isn't a nice thing to have, only that it would be quite low on my list of priorities for a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom