• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

What makes it better?
A lot actually. I use flux on my home PC and so I tried out Lux but the color temps sucked and profiles were just off. Twlights color settings are superior IMO and a lot more features to boot (auto dim, per app surpression etc.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I use Lux. Love it. Haven't tried Twilight, though. Interesting to hear it's better from someone who has used both.

Soodanim

Good timing. I bought Lux for my N4, and was thinking about installing on my N7 because I've found myself stay awake a couple hours longer since I got it. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

You dont know how much better a high quality matte finish screen protector is.

No fingerprints, much better viewing angles in sunlight.

Also feels good mang
I can see two versions on Amazon UK for N7 - the matte and the HD clear. You'd say to go with the matte one?

I recently started using Chainfire's Lumen app. Can't see myself going back to lux now.

I have a Nexus 5 and I can't get audio to work on the screen casting. Others are having the same issue. Other than that the mirroring works pretty good.

If it's mkv audio, it's known to not work correctly with chromecast.

wilflare

no one using Tempered Glass SPs?

/disappointed

it provides excellent protection from drops and scratches and the touch is as if there's no SP.

Soodanim

I can't figure out why, but in gaf threads with embedded YouTube videos any touch at all (including a tap to press play or touching the video while scrolling) causes the long press menu to pop up. It's rather annoying, as you might imagine. Does anyone know of a fix? I've tried closing Chrome and forcing a stop in the apps manager, but it persists.

I don't know about other browsers - I uninsulated Dolphin because of the crappy performance/responsiveness. Nexus 7 2013.
no one using Tempered Glass SPs?

/disappointed

it provides excellent protection from drops and scratches and the touch is as if there's no SP.
Is there a particular brand you can recommend? I looked at reviews for one on Amazon UK and there were a bunch of 1* ratings that mentioned having to press harder and inch long adhesive marks being left on the screen.

kehs

Banned
I can't figure out why, but in gaf threads with embedded YouTube videos any touch at all (including a tap to press play or touching the video while scrolling) causes the long press menu to pop up. It's rather annoying, as you might imagine. Does anyone know of a fix? I've tried closing Chrome and forcing a stop in the apps manager, but it persists.

I don't know about other browsers - I uninsulated Dolphin because of the crappy performance/responsiveness. Nexus 7 2013.

This just started happening to me today, not on gaf though. On some other site that had an html5 youtube embedded.

timnich

Here is an example of it happening, only started recently. It's a real pain in the ass. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it that would be great!
zOP8fkt.jpg

this_guy

Is there a particular brand you can recommend? I looked at reviews for one on Amazon UK and there were a bunch of 1* ratings that mentioned having to press harder and inch long adhesive marks being left on the screen.

Happened to me starting today too. I'm using an LG G2 (Android 4.4) and use LG's default browser.

yyzjohn

Banned
I recently started using Chainfire's Lumen app. Can't see myself going back to lux now.

If it's mkv audio, it's known to not work correctly with chromecast.

No it's not. I'm just using the new mirroring feature they've rolled out. Tried to play Youtube through mirroring and Google Play music through mirroring, both cases audio is just stuttering noise. On Android police they demoed both of those on Chromecast mirroring and it works fine. Not sure why mine doesn't.

is the best buy G3 the same as the one on sprint.com? one offers $99 with contract. while sprint.com is $199 with contract. want to go with sprint since they give you $50 gift card

Toki767

is the best buy G3 the same as the one on sprint.com? one offers $99 with contract. while sprint.com is $199 with contract. want to go with sprint since they give you $50 gift card

Yep. It's a special or something. Not sure if it's something that'll last for just today or if it's through the weekend.

Toki767

okay. because i did it for the $50 card.

https://www-ssl.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17413&type=page&promoCode=RESERVE4

did the same for my S3 lol.
gotta get that phone before the 12th though.

I would really like to get it but I have to buy the phone off contract in order to keep my cheaper AT&T plan and Best Buy for some reason is selling the phone for $700 instead of $580 like what AT&T does. And apparently they don't price match off contract pricing.

Drifters

Have we heard anything if the G3 is going to get a Silver or GPe version? I really don't want ATT's shit on my phone having a N4 sans carrier bloat.

Cipherr

Same bug for me on chrome with youtube. I noticed it when doing one of those surveys that give you the Play Store credit, lol.

qksms should be released soon, but other than that there's always Textra, Sliding Messaging, Hello sms, Evolve, etc.

Personally I just use Hangouts. And Android L is bring lockscreen notifications.

facebook app updated with a lockscreen notification. unless it's been there this whole time lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Here is an example of it happening, only started recently. It's a real pain in the ass. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it that would be great!
zOP8fkt.jpg

Yeah, I've been getting this constantly the last few days. Can't watch YT videos in the browser anymore because that shit is in the way. I thought it might be an issue with Android L, but guess not!

Are you guys using Chrome Beta it happens there for me but not on stable.

Stable here, and it does happen on GAF for me.

Is there any good sms apps out there? One that even shows on lock screens a quick sms preview?

EvolveSMS is good, and has loads of options for various things. If you use it together with Pushbullet you can even reply to texts from your PC (which was the main reason I switched to Evolve). The only thing I don't like about it is the ugly app icon.

Another good one, albeit one with less customization, is Hello SMS.

went to best buy. wanted to rage. policy was only main account can sign contract. i'm under bro's. didn't want to start new account. so went to sprint store. since they had gold there i didn't mind paying $199 for 2 year though.

Lxg8wFh.jpg

Toki767

went to best buy. wanted to rage. policy was only main account can sign contract. i'm under bro's. didn't want to start new account. so went to sprint store. since they had gold there i didn't mind paying $199 for 2 year though.

Lxg8wFh.jpg
They aren't like AT&T where you can set a certified user to make contract changes?

They aren't like AT&T where you can set a certified user to make contract changes?

should be the same as far as that goes but when it comes to where you buy your phone and sign for contract you aren't a main account holder except for sprint stores. but yeah i can buy and upgrade at sprint store. 3rd party? the main person whose name is on the bill and social has to be there to sign.

no biggie though.

Best buy didn't have the gold phone and the circle case.

Toki767

should be the same as far as that goes but when it comes to where you buy your phone and sign for contract you aren't a main account holder except for sprint stores. but yeah i can buy and upgrade at sprint store. 3rd party? the main person whose name is on the bill and social has to be there to sign.

no biggie though.

Best buy didn't have the gold phone and the circle case.

Not for AT&T. You can assign one other person other than the main account holder as a certified user who can sign contracts and make changes anywhere.

What are your initial impressions about the phone?

Not for AT&T. You can assign one other person other than the main account holder as a certified user who can sign contracts and make changes anywhere.

What are your initial impressions about the phone?

oh. lol

since i upgraded from S3. i love the size. gold looks amazing. the notification is neat. much snappier than S3. since i haven't even bothered with formatting it since i had it for 2 years. but yeah. love that the power button on the back acts as a camera button. makes it easier to take selfies. or even rear camera pictures.i should have impression on battery life tomorrow. just charging it and plan to go out hopefully tonight. just be warned. i'm with sprint so there's basically almost no service anywhere lol.

camera seems to have better low light than the S3. less fuzz.

kehs

Banned
I just had a conversion about who is "on android" while trying to get people to chat on "google" cause I wanted them to use hangouts.

Someone save me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
smart case. it doesn't block the camera when you flip it to the back thoiugh. One con is the manual setting tohide home button on apps

Give us legit impressions as one who is in need of an upgrade.

Mainly does the phone seem to get too hot? Does it down throttle because of this?

How is the UI? Is it touchwiz bad or more like sense decent?

Fezan

Washed my xperia Z2 and water went inside even tough all the flaps were closed. It was under warranty bought from sony store but service center guys are giving me excuses. also no response on twitter and on facebook they said we are just sorry to hear and we will help you as much as possible. Six month saving gone to waster :(

CronoShot

So this beauty came in yesterday, and today was my first full day with it.

ss1USRU.jpg

First impressions: the material on the back is really weird. Not bad, not good, just weird. It feels kind of like a softer type of sandpaper. I don't know when the back covers are coming out, but I'm probably gonna get something else. It seems like it would stain and scuff easily. That said, the build quality is excellent overall.

Anyway, the phone feels smaller than I thought it would. It's just a bit taller than the M8, actually. Cyanogenmod (as a new user) is pretty sweet and packed to the brim with options and features I never even knew I wanted (being able to freely activate immersion mode at any time and manually adjusting screen color and contrast is amazing). I know there was talk of some bugs pre-release, but the only big one I've found with the updated version was the microphone not working in Google Now, which has already been acknowledged as a problem and will be fixed. Although a fun fact: trying to put a folder in another folder will cause something in the background to crash and completely jumble up both folders. Overall performance is pretty great though. Haven't seen a single bout of lag or slowdown yet.

I was a bit worried Cyanogenmod might break compatibility with some of my apps (I have a ton of games) but everything seems to work perfectly. The whole phone is basically the Nexus 5 on steroids. Although one thing that did disappoint me was signal strength. It's about identical to my Nexus 5 and struggles to maintain an LTE or HSPA/3G signal in my house. I have to switch it to 2G to get any consistency. My M8 doesn't have that problem. Not a big deal since I have Wi-Fi, but it's a little annoying to have to switch back and forth when I go somewhere.

Battery life seems about on par with the M8, if not slightly lower. But I can't really make judgments from the first day alone.

I do wish it was a bit smaller to be a little more easy to handle (something like 5.2" would have been perfect) but other than that, it's pretty freaking fantastic.

Before you ask, I bought it on ebay and don't have any invites.

LeleSocho

Banned
So this beauty came in yesterday, and today was my first full day with it.

ss1USRU.jpg

First impressions: the material on the back is really weird. Not bad, not good, just weird. It feels kind of like a softer type of sandpaper. I don't know when the back covers are coming out, but I'm probably gonna get something else. It seems like it would stain and scuff easily. That said, the build quality is excellent overall.

Anyway, the phone feels smaller than I thought it would. It's just a bit taller than the M8, actually. Cyanogenmod (as a new user) is pretty sweet and packed to the brim with options and features I never even knew I wanted (being able to freely activate immersion mode at any time and manually adjusting screen color and contrast is amazing). I know there was talk of some bugs pre-release, but the only big one I've found with the updated version was the microphone not working in Google Now, which has already been acknowledged as a problem and will be fixed. Although a fun fact: trying to put a folder in another folder will cause something in the background to crash and completely jumble up both folders. Overall performance is pretty great though. Haven't seen a single bout of lag or slowdown yet.

I was a bit worried Cyanogenmod might break compatibility with some of my apps (I have a ton of games) but everything seems to work perfectly. The whole phone is basically the Nexus 5 on steroids. Although one thing that did disappoint me was signal strength. It's about identical to my Nexus 5 and struggles to maintain an LTE or HSPA/3G signal in my house. I have to switch it to 2G to get any consistency. My M8 doesn't have that problem. Not a big deal since I have Wi-Fi, but it's a little annoying to have to switch back and forth when I go somewhere.

Battery life seems about on par with the M8, if not slightly lower. But I can't really make judgments from the first day alone.

I do wish it was a bit smaller to be a little more easy to handle (something like 5.2" would have been perfect) but other than that, it's pretty freaking fantastic.

Before you ask, I bought it on ebay and don't have any invites.

Can you do a macro of sandpaper cover? i want to see it up close.

RoKKeR

So the headphone jack on my HTC One M7 suddenly stopped working today.

Fuck.

It doesn't even recognize that they are plugged in, music just starts playing out of the speakers.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Joe

I have a phone with Jellybean on it and I can't use group text messages. All group texts just break off into individual text threads...is there a way to enable group texts? I didn't see anything in the options.

Perhaps a new messaging app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom