• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introducing the "World's Best" phone for Selfies, the Xperia C3. 5MP (lol) front shooter with a crap LED flash and no autofocus (double lol).

One (crap) Sony.

It's like someone said, selfies are the new hotness, lets release a phone for it, then the beancounters got involved and turned it into a pile of shit. I don't doubt there is a legitimate market for selfie phones out there, but a 5MP camera with no AF and a crap flash is not the world's best and neither does it constitute a serious effort. An otherwise good idea ruined by poor execution or the Sony Way, as I like to call it.

It should have been the same phone but with a 13MP camera on the back and an 8MP camera on the front with AF and a dual LED flash. People take selfies in dark nightclubs more than anywhere else, the weak flash, poor sensor and no AF means it will be useless for it's primary function.

Stupid company with idiotic management. Until they fire the whole management team and the whole product execution team Sony will not succeed. The ideas are right but the execution is dismal.

I came up with a killer feature for a selfie phone. Remember when cameras got that thing which would take the picture on a smile?

That, but auto-snapping on duckface.

It's a horrible idea but would make you rich.

So I want to try out L on my Nexus 5, but I want to be able to easily revert back if I want. Can any of you guys give me some advice on the easiest way to do this? I know I'll need to make some backups, but I really don't want to fuck this up haha.

linkboy

So I want to try out L on my Nexus 5, but I want to be able to easily revert back if I want. Can any of you guys give me some advice on the easiest way to do this? I know I'll need to make some backups, but I really don't want to fuck this up haha.

Is your phone rooted? If not, that's the first thing you're going to need to do.

After that, you need to install a custom recovery (me personally, I use TWRP, but clockworkmod is a good version as well).

I don't own a Nexus 5 (yet), but I've got L up and running on my Nexus 4 without any serious issues.

Nexus 5 XDA

If you're interest in rooting in general, head over to the link above. XDA is pretty much the best place on the net for anything developer related for Android.

Soodanim

I don't use a screen protector with mine.

I just use the Moko Ultra Slim case:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKA1IYU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There's also the Poetic Slimline which is pretty much exactly the same:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E5NOXM4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Moko case works great for me and since the Poetic Slimline is exactly the same, you can't go wrong with either one.

I just want to warn you though, be CAREFUL about the camera glass on the rear of the tablet. It's very delicate! I somehow got a scratch there before I got my case but thankfully it wasn't over the lens, just on the outer part of the lens glass. Don't set it down on a surface with any sort of abrasive (crumb, sand, dirt, etc) that could scratch your camera lens! Always set it down on a soft cloth at least until you get your case.
Mate, I'm scared to put it anywhere! I'd want to cry if I scratched it this soon, especially a camera lens. It's so shiny and new that no surface is good enough for it! That's why I'd rather have a case that I don't mind getting dirty or scratched.

If you want a day to day case get a Poetic.

But personally I just like having a sleeve for bag storage and to use it naked and as thin as intended otherwise. You can find sleeves for a few bucks on Amazon.
I definitely like the Poetic more than the MoKo. I assume you'd have to do-case to use a wireless charger, which is another thing I've been thinking about.

Does anyone have experience and/or recommendations with wireless chargers? I hear some of them can be noisy.

Is your phone rooted? If not, that's the first thing you're going to need to do.

After that, you need to install a custom recovery (me personally, I use TWRP, but clockworkmod is a good version as well).

I don't own a Nexus 5 (yet), but I've got L up and running on my Nexus 4 without any serious issues.

Nexus 5 XDA

If you're interest in rooting in general, head over to the link above. XDA is pretty much the best place on the net for anything developer related for Android.

My phone is rooted already :). Any recommendations on backup up my stuff?

demented

Can you guys please help me with picking a new phone?
I currently have galaxy s3 that's been going shit lately, can't connect calls, internet doesn't work etc and I think it's time for a new phone but not sure what.

I'm liking the LG G3 but currently it costs 650eur.. I liked xperia z2 before and still do and I could probably find it for 450-500 eur. So I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for g3 price to drop or..
Any other phones to check out? I use my phone as my main camera device so good camera is important. I don't know what else, want it to look good, 3gb ram, expendable storage big plus especially if it doesn't have at least 32 gb and that's low too.

Any thoughts?

Blablurn

A friend is selling me his Note 1 for 50€.

I think I will use it as my MP3 player or so.

Gonna try that cyangenmod installer once i have the phone.

Looking forward to play a lil with it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is one of those apps/extensions that will undoubtedly be replaced by a native OS update with these same features. We're not there yet, but you know it's coming.

Certainly. I think it's inevitable that Google will fold Send to Chrome into Chrome in a way. I wonder if their new star/favorites will do just that as it is not limited to just websites. Save something, anything, on one device, and it autopopulates everywhere else too.

I think I'm just going to go in on the G3. Get an extra battery if need be and be done with it. Love the screen. Camera looks great. All I need.

kehs

Banned
Aw shit yeah.

Google Now lets you change the name of a location card. Previously, you could only change the name of the two default locations, Home and Work. The feature seems to have rolled out sometime recently, though some users report having it for longer.

…

To rename a custom location in Google Now, click on the three-dot settings button of the card, select your preferred mode of getting around (from mass transit, driving, biking, and walking), click on the “next” arrow, and click on the Rename button.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-now-rename-locations-401664/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's absolutely terrible. You also can't access sms the first go around. Therefore, I can't get my 2 step code. So I have to not sign in and then add your account. This approach means my phone won't restore itself. Ugh.

Go to your google account. https://www.google.com/settings/security

Go to Backup codes, and save a few of them. Use next time you need to sign in.

Yep, that's what I have to do to sign in the first time, because I only have Authenticator on this phone. Then I also have to go into the security settings on my PC and move the Authenticator to my "new phone" (which is really the same phone with a fresh install). Perhaps I should be disabling it BEFORE flashing/resetting the phone, but who thinks of such things!

If you're fine with just backing up apps and data, rather than the entire system, I'd recommend Helium. Don't even need root for that.

Certainly. I think it's inevitable that Google will fold Send to Chrome into Chrome in a way. I wonder if their new star/favorites will do just that as it is not limited to just websites. Save something, anything, on one device, and it autopopulates everywhere else too.

I mainly want notification syncing, along with being able to answer texts and such on my PC. Currently using Pushbullet for that, but it seems a bit spotty whether it will work or not (perhaps because I'm running the L preview).

What bothers me is that you can't DELETE a location. Google Now has saved some address as my work location, even though I don't have a place of work (I've been a student, and don't have a job yet), and it won't let me delete it. I can change it, but it won't let me leave it empty.

Introducing the "World's Best" phone for Selfies, the Xperia C3. 5MP (lol) front shooter with a crap LED flash and no autofocus (double lol).

One (crap) Sony.

It's like someone said, selfies are the new hotness, lets release a phone for it, then the beancounters got involved and turned it into a pile of shit. I don't doubt there is a legitimate market for selfie phones out there, but a 5MP camera with no AF and a crap flash is not the world's best and neither does it constitute a serious effort. An otherwise good idea ruined by poor execution or the Sony Way, as I like to call it.

It should have been the same phone but with a 13MP camera on the back and an 8MP camera on the front with AF and a dual LED flash. People take selfies in dark nightclubs more than anywhere else, the weak flash, poor sensor and no AF means it will be useless for it's primary function.

Stupid company with idiotic management. Until they fire the whole management team and the whole product execution team Sony will not succeed. The ideas are right but the execution is dismal.

It's funny, because Nokia is rumored to release a phone with a 5MP FFC as well. I love how both of these companies are always where the market are. So innovative!

yyzjohn

Banned
Yep, that's what I have to do to sign in the first time, because I only have Authenticator on this phone. Then I also have to go into the security settings on my PC and move the Authenticator to my "new phone" (which is really the same phone with a fresh install). Perhaps I should be disabling it BEFORE flashing/resetting the phone, but who thinks of such things!

If you're fine with just backing up apps and data, rather than the entire system, I'd recommend Helium. Don't even need root for that.

I mainly want notification syncing, along with being able to answer texts and such on my PC. Currently using Pushbullet for that, but it seems a bit spotty whether it will work or not (perhaps because I'm running the L preview).

What bothers me is that you can't DELETE a location. Google Now has saved some address as my work location, even though I don't have a place of work (I've been a student, and don't have a job yet), and it won't let me delete it. I can change it, but it won't let me leave it empty.

I learned the hard way with Google authenticator. I always move to a new device (my tablet) before doing a wipe of my phone, saves so many headaches.

NotBacon

Can you guys please help me with picking a new phone?
I currently have galaxy s3 that's been going shit lately, can't connect calls, internet doesn't work etc and I think it's time for a new phone but not sure what.

I'm liking the LG G3 but currently it costs 650eur.. I liked xperia z2 before and still do and I could probably find it for 450-500 eur. So I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for g3 price to drop or..
Any other phones to check out? I use my phone as my main camera device so good camera is important. I don't know what else, want it to look good, 3gb ram, expendable storage big plus especially if it doesn't have at least 32 gb and that's low too.

Any thoughts?

Wait a few weeks for the X+1 announcement, then decide.

It's funny, because Nokia is rumored to release a phone with a 5MP FFC as well. I love how both of these companies are always where the market are. So innovative!

The Nokia version will probably have autofocus though which will automatically make it better for its primary function despite the OS deficiencies...

Nicktendo86

Selfies need to die. Back in my day when you took a photo of yourself you were mocked for having no friends, what's wrong with kids nowadays?

thenexus6

Question: Is there anyway to disable the warning message when trying raise volume when listening to music?

I don't think there is..

Soodanim

Question: Is there anyway to disable the warning message when trying raise volume when listening to music?

I don't think there is..
I've never used it myself, but I'm sure there's a way to at least edit it if you're rooted and use the xposed modules.

Doesn't it only activate once per boot? That seems to be the way it is on my N4.

Rnr1224

Trying to go to cricket since my Verizon contract is up and it has been a pain, there were errors when i was putting my credit card info into their site, then I find out that every time i submitted the info, it charged me $50 even though the transaction did not go through. This is getting ridiculous

RoadHazard

Gold Member
EDIT - Should I use a screen protector? Y/N

I've always found it to be more trouble than it's worth. Applying them correctly is a chore, and you don't really need one if you're reasonably careful with your phone. I'm currently using an LG QuickCover for my Nexus 5, and it gives me all the protection I need. It protects all sides of the phone when it's in my pocket, and when I'm using the phone there's nothing between me and the screen. Which is how I like it. As a bonus, the screen turns on as soon as I open the lid, and turns off (locking the phone) when I close it. Very convenient, I love it. If there's s similar solution for your phone, I recommend it.

(I don't work for LG, nor for Google, I just really like this kind of phone protection.)

I don't think there is..

Don't think there is, at least without rooting and installing special software.

thespot84

i THINK it's the same as your starred places on maps.google.com on the desktop, and you can delete from there...

Toki767

I've always found it to be more trouble than it's worth. Applying them correctly is a chore, and you don't really need one if you're reasonably careful with your phone. I'm currently using an LG QuickCover for my Nexus 5, and it gives me all the protection I need. It protects all sides of the phone when it's in my pocket, and when I'm using the phone there's nothing between me and the screen. Which is how I like it. As a bonus, the screen turns on as soon as I open the lid, and turns off (locking the phone) when I close it. Very convenient, I love it. If there's s similar solution for your phone, I recommend it.

(I don't work for LG, nor for Google, I just really like this kind of phone protection.)

My one inconvenience with using any sort of cover is that I tend to use my phone with my left hand and I don't want to fold the flap back just to operate the phone.

catmincer

So Xperia Z2a is out in Taiwan and I am tempted to get it. Apart from the look, and the smaller screen is there any difference between it and the z2?

So Xperia Z2a is out in Taiwan and I am tempted to get it. Apart from the look, and the smaller screen is there any difference between it and the z2?

It uses the old Z/ZL/Z1 VA type screen rather than the newer Z2 IPS type screen. The front camera is VGA compared to a 2.1mp one in the Z2. Otherwise they are almost the same. On balance I would get the Z2 for the screen.

Nicktendo86

Eurgh so tried flashing the L port onto my Nexus 4 this morning and am left with a boot loop, won't get past the Google logo :( I followed the instructions perfectly, formatted /system, wiped cache etc etc but no joy. Any ideas? I'm coming from CM11 nightly 07/07 if that makes any difference :/

PriitV

Eurgh so tried flashing the L port onto my Nexus 4 this morning and am left with a boot loop, won't get past the Google logo :( I followed the instructions perfectly, formatted /system, wiped cache etc etc but no joy. Any ideas? I'm coming from CM11 nightly 07/07 if that makes any difference :/

are your fastboot and adb files up to date? I remember having the same problem when 4.3 came out, tried to flash the version on with the toolkit files from 4.2.

Nicktendo86

are your fastboot and adb files up to date? I remember having the same problem when 4.3 came out, tried to flash the version on with the toolkit files from 4.2.

I tried flashing the zip file directly from CWM on my phone, so fastboot and adb shouldn't matter I don't think?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

How about the boot.img?

Mario007

One (crap) Sony.

Since we have you here and we can talk about Sony fails this year...what is up with the Z3 having same specs to Z2? I mean are they gonna market it more like Z2 Plus or does Sony seriously think they need to launch a new flagship every 6 months but just had too many unsold inventory for the Z2 that they decided to repackage it?

jokkir

If you're on TWRP go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe >

Then wipe Dalvik Cache, System, Data, Cache.

You'll lose everything but your internal storage but it will be a clean install of the rom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom