• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

I have a phone with Jellybean on it and I can't use group text messages. All group texts just break off into individual text threads...is there a way to enable group texts? I didn't see anything in the options.

Perhaps a new messaging app?

I thought they officially added that in JellyBean.

Anyway, download Handcent (or GoSMS might work too) and enable group MMS and then you should be good.

Only downside, at least when I had to use it a couple of years ago, was that the messages will arrive as an individual message, but they will quickly be merged into the group message. It's only a little jarring if you're watching you messaging app list as a message comes in.

Joe

I thought they officially added that in JellyBean.

Anyway, download Handcent (or GoSMS might work too) and enable group MMS and then you should be good.

Only downside, at least when I had to use it a couple of years ago, was that the messages will arrive as an individual message, but they will quickly be merged into the group message. It's only a little jarring if you're watching you messaging app list as a message comes in.
hey thanks! im going to check that out.

my phone has android version 4.1.2 if that matters

Toki767

I did notice my friend had the same problem with getting group messaging to show correctly on her phone. Turns out it was because she was on Sprint and their LTE network prevents group messaging from showing correctly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So the headphone jack on my HTC One M7 suddenly stopped working today.

Fuck.

It doesn't even recognize that they are plugged in, music just starts playing out of the speakers.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Maybe lint stuck in there? Good excuse to get Bluetooth headphones.

Joe

I did notice my friend had the same problem with getting group messaging to show correctly on her phone. Turns out it was because she was on Sprint and their LTE network prevents group messaging from showing correctly.

interesting. its an LTE phone but im using an OLD 3G sim card...

NotBacon

I have a phone with Jellybean on it and I can't use group text messages. All group texts just break off into individual text threads...is there a way to enable group texts? I didn't see anything in the options.

Perhaps a new messaging app?

Don't download Handcent or Gosms. Try Hangouts, Textra, or EvolveSMS.

MarkusRJR

Why the hell do android manufacturers continue to make $300+ tablets without an oleophobic coating? For a large slab which you control via touch, gross fingerprint coated glass is such a turn off.

My android tablet normally costs $400 (got it for $150 off) yet doesn't have an oleophobic coating.

I was so close to picking up a G3 today, but I wasn't able to play with the device before making my decision as the security protector thing at the AT&T store I went to was placed ON the back buttons.

Yeah.
I guess I'll have to wait until I can actually try out the damn thing. :/

Also, any rumors about the Moto X+ or whatever? I just made a Gundam-themed color scheme on Moto Maker and it looks too cool to not purchase.

Toki767

I was so close to picking up a G3 today, but I wasn't able to play with the device before making my decision as the security protector thing at the AT&T store I went to was placed ON the back buttons.

Yeah.
I guess I'll have to wait until I can actually try out the damn thing. :/

Also, any rumors about the Moto X+ or whatever? I just made a Gundam-themed color scheme on Moto Maker and it looks too cool to not purchase.

I almost bought one at the AT&T store, but they were sold out because they only received 4.

longdi

Banned

this_guy

No that's user error. I'm on Sprint now, and was on Sprint several years ago (in between switching to T-Mobile and Verizon) and I've always been able to group text using Handcent or any other third party app. Now that Hangouts has it built in I don't use third party apps any more.

vivftp

rumored specs is the same as Z2...why Sony why?
otherwise, looking more like Sony and Apple design is starting to converge. This looks like ip6 which looks like a Galaxy S2...

Well it is a faster processor, but as per zomg the reason for no jump to S805 is because apparently S805 sucks with no integrated modem.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Use a can of air to spray out the lint. Might work.

yyzjohn

Banned
So after using Android L for over a week I've concluded that for me it's not daily driver ready. I was on a phone call for work and I placed it on mute. The screen of the phone turned off. Then I had to talk during the call so I tried to turn the screen on. Nothing. It wouldn't go back on. Took me a few presses and much agitation until finally I was able to turn it on. That's a deal breaker for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So after using Android L for over a week I've concluded that for me it's not daily driver ready. I was on a phone call for work and I placed it on mute. The screen of the phone turned off. Then I had to talk during the call so I tried to turn the screen on. Nothing. It wouldn't go back on. Took me a few presses and much agitation until finally I was able to turn it on. That's a deal breaker for me.

It seems to me like the proximity sensor now turns the screen off during calls no matter the phone orientation, which can be pretty annoying. Previously the screen would only turn off if the phone was more or less upright, like when you're holding it up to your ear. If it was laying flat on a table or something the screen would stay on even if the sensor was covered. Now it doesn't, so changing in-call settings can be a bit tricky. Will hopefully be fixed. Perhaps this is different from your issue though.

Drifters

To be fair, Android L is a preview and not meant to be used as a DD OS. I would imagine stuff like this will be fleshed out in the release.

It seems to me like the proximity sensor now turns the screen off during calls no matter the phone orientation, which can be pretty annoying. Previously the screen would only turn off if the phone was more or less upright, like when you're holding it up to your ear. If it was laying flat on a table or something the screen would stay on even if the sensor was covered. Now it doesn't, so changing in-call settings can be a bit tricky. Will hopefully be fixed. Perhaps this is different from your issue though.

I've had weird issues on KitKat when I mute calls/put things on speaker phone in which the screen will sometimes flicker. Tells me that the prox. sensor is having issues telling where the hell the phone is. Either way, not a deal breaker since the call is stable.

Husker86

hey thanks! im going to check that out.

my phone has android version 4.1.2 if that matters

Oh, right...I think it was officially added in 4.2 JellyBean.

Don't download Handcent or Gosms. Try Hangouts, Textra, or EvolveSMS.

Probably better advice, I haven't used Handcent/GoSms for a couple of years.

Does Hangouts add group messaging support in pre-4.2 devices?

yyzjohn

Banned
To be fair, Android L is a preview and not meant to be used as a DD OS. I would imagine stuff like this will be fleshed out in the release.

I've had weird issues on KitKat when I mute calls/put things on speaker phone in which the screen will sometimes flicker. Tells me that the prox. sensor is having issues telling where the hell the phone is. Either way, not a deal breaker since the call is stable.

Oh I know but I've heard so many people say it's daily driver ready but there's a few issues that make it a no go for me. In addition to the call thing, I was getting notifications not clearing sometimes and other annoying issues.

Drifters

Oh I know but I've heard so many people say it's daily driver ready but there's a few issues that make it a no go for me. In addition to the call thing, I was getting notifications not clearing sometimes and other annoying issues.
Well I'm sure that type of thing will get ironed out, if not.... well.... bugfixes. :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I haven't had any of those issues (except for the proximity sensor thing I described above). There are other bugs for sure, and some apps just won't run (or crash under certain circumstances), but most things work flawlessly. Overall it has absolutely been stable enough for me to use as a daily driver.

yyzjohn

Banned
I haven't had any of those issues (except for the proximity sensor thing I described above). There are other bugs for sure, and some apps just won't run (or crash under certain circumstances), but most things work flawlessly. Overall it has absolutely been stable enough for me to use as a daily driver.

Yeah, just today Light flow pushed an update that works with L. That app was giving me boot loop issues last week.

Arc

Has anyone had experience with AT&T Next? I got sold on it hard earlier when I intended on picking up my G3 so I went home and did some research. I'm a college grad but still on my family's plan since it's cheaper for me and I still have unlimited data.

While we might save money up front, I just can't see how it becomes any cheaper even with the $15 per line discount when you start adding all of the monthly hardware upgrade payments. While I'm the only one upgrading right now, there are four other lines that will upgrade soon and that tells me eventually the bill will get right back up there and end up being more.

I've never been pushed so hard to "save" money by a store employee so that was a big red flag right away.

Toki767

You will lose your unlimited data if you go with the Next program I believe.

It is a lot cheaper though. Depending on if you upgrade your phone a lot.

Arc

You will lose your unlimited data if you go with the Next program I believe.

It is a lot cheaper though. Depending on if you upgrade your phone a lot.

Yeah we tend to take most of the two years. I would be the only one of the 5 to ever upgrade more than once every two years if that.

this_guy

Just picked up a LG G3 off craigslist for a very good price. Pretty nice so far, and for a 5.5" screen it's not a large phone at all. About the same height as the LG G2 but just slightly wider.

okay so i haven't had an android phone since the htc g1 (was that the name? the og android brick) but i am thinking of getting something this year.
is there still the problem of bloatware, mainly from manufacturers, or is that a thing of the past now? is that the appeal of the 'google play' versions? any guys that don't mess around too much, if at all, with stock android? android l looks so nice i don't want it messed about with and ruined by say Samsung's idea of aesthetic design.

Bboy AJ

okay so i haven't had an android phone since the htc g1 (was that the name? the og android brick) but i am thinking of getting something this year.
is there still the problem of bloatware, mainly from manufacturers, or is that a thing of the past now? is that the appeal of the 'google play' versions? any guys that don't mess around too much, if at all, with stock android? android l looks so nice i don't want it messed about with and ruined by say Samsung's idea of aesthetic design.
So just buy a Nexus.

Cheebo

Banned
The consensus seems to be that the Nexus 6 will launch with Android L (the new version, currently in preview). So a few months is the assumption.

I dont think that is the consensus at all...we haven't heard a single Nexus 6 rumor yet at all. It seems pretty certain that L will launch with the HTC Nexus 8 tablet at this point.

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but every time I try to use Google Now to dictate a Hangouts message, it always defaults to SMS instead of a Hangouts message. I have to actually open up Hangouts from Google Now if I want to switch it to a Hangouts message.

Is there any way to change this? It's super annoying.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is ART runtime worth using?

It makes stuff open/load/run very noticeably faster, so yes, I'd say so. I also experience smoother scrolling in many apps, but I'm not sure if that's thanks to ART or other performance improvements in L (I haven't tried ART in 4.4). But not all apps work perfectly with it yet (though most do), so that's something to think about. Or just try it out. There's no issue with just going back to Dalvik again if things aren't working out, AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom