• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
We should ban all OnePlus One posting until it is widely available because it makes me sad on the inside :(.

Glad to hear you like it though! Grats on winning the phone lottery!

FWIW, I literally did the bare minimum on the Oneplus site. I didn't enter any 3rd party contests.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I want that on my N5 running the L preview NOW. I'm bored of the KK look. It's gonna suck if they don't release any of their redesigned apps until the final L release. I understand that it's just a dev preview, but shouldn't they provide some examples of redesigned apps (and not just vague screenshots) for devs to check out?

Upgrading from a Droid 4. Choosing between G3 and M8 (and S5, but dammit, that fingerprint scanner is annoying as fuck and really has turned me off the phone). Any suggestions between those two (or three), Android-GAF?

Crisco

Banned
I really have to wonder if LG was privy to Android L's design while making the G3 software. It seems like the elements they have already included in L like heads up notifications and the color range for material design are already in the G3.

I mentioned the same exact thing to a friend of mine. It's definitely closer to L than stock KitKat. Overall, I like the OS. It's basically nothing but an attractive skin with a few gimmicks that I could leave or take. Knock On is pretty awesome though, my favorite little trick on the phone.

Toki767

I mentioned the same exact thing to a friend of mine. It's definitely closer to L than stock KitKat. Overall, I like the OS. It's basically nothing but an attractive skin with a few gimmicks that I could leave or take. Knock On is pretty awesome though, my favorite little trick on the phone.

Knock On is so much nicer on the G2/G3 than it is on the One M8. It feels so half-assed there.

dimeat

Neo Member
What's the "best" SMS program lately? Is HandCent still good? Been using Handcent for the past 4 years and have been stubborn to change but since getting the LG G3, might as well change if others are good.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What's the "best" SMS program lately? Is HandCent still good? Been using Handcent for the past 4 years and have been stubborn to change but since getting the LG G3, might as well change if others are good.

I use EvolveSMS, mainly because it works together with Pushbullet which lets you reply to texts from your PC (waiting for Google to make this a native Android/Hangouts feature). But it's also a really good SMS app, with a lot of options for different things.

MarkusRJR

How is modern Touchwiz? I'm planning to buy an S5 Mini if the Moto X+1 doesn't come to Telus. I remember it being a hot mess around the time of the S3.

Crisco

Banned
Wait, so on my G3, you can set the "Default Messenger App" to something other than the stock text message app. So I set it to Hangouts. I then told the GV app to send my text messages to the default messenger app. It sends them to Hangouts. Voila, after someone texts me, I can reply via Hangouts with my GV number.

suplex

I'm up for an upgrade on Wednesday and I'm torn between the G3 and M8. If the M8 had a better camera I think I would most definitely go with that. I think I'd probably be fine with that anyways since I have a dslr, but then I start thinking how nice it would be to have a decent camera on you at all times. What should I do gaf?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh, ok I did not know that.

Don't get used to it though, because it's gone in Android L. Hopefully they'll add it (or some other shortcut) back before the final release, but right now there's no way to get directly to quick settings. You have to swipe down twice.

MattDoza

Don't get used to it though, because it's gone in Android L. Hopefully they'll add it (or some other shortcut) back before the final release, but right now there's no way to get directly to quick settings. You have to swipe down twice.
I thought it functioned like a real shade? Basically needing to be pulled further to bring up quick settings.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought it functioned like a real shade? Basically needing to be pulled further to bring up quick settings.

Sort of, but you can't do it in one swipe. If you keep pulling down with that initial swipe the quick settings will peek out slightly from behind the top bar (to hint that they're there, I guess), but they won't actually open. You have to release, and then swipe down again.

I'm up for an upgrade on Wednesday and I'm torn between the G3 and M8. If the M8 had a better camera I think I would most definitely go with that. I think I'd probably be fine with that anyways since I have a dslr, but then I start thinking how nice it would be to have a decent camera on you at all times. What should I do gaf?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you, suplex. Kinda torn between those two.

Chris R

Fuuuuuuu

Every time it seems like the things I end up liking from major milestone builds is tweaked or removed in the next version :(

derder

Both are good phones. Don't best yourself up about it. I'd go with the one which will have the greatest resale value.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Same here! But now I'm really enjoying the Oneplus One.

Me too. Just ordered a couple of cases.

The timing for this was perfect for me. It seemed like every current Android flagship really sacrificed one component or another and I wasn't ready to buy any of them. I was prepared to wait for the fall and whatever Silver and/or Nexus device may come along and never expected to receive an invite.

Very impressed so far. And dat battery. Dat battery.

Me too. Just ordered a couple of cases.

The timing for this was perfect for me. It seemed like every current Android flagship really sacrificed one component or another and I wasn't ready to buy any of them. I was prepared to wait for the fall and whatever Silver and/or Nexus device may come along and never expected to receive an invite.

Very impressed so far. And dat battery. Dat battery.

Agreed! Outclasses my iPhone 5S in every way so far. I love that Sandstone fell and the battery life is crazy. Where are you getting your cases from, Oppomart?

Nicktendo86

Sort of, but you can't do it in one swipe. If you keep pulling down with that initial swipe the quick settings will peek out slightly from behind the top bar (to hint that they're there, I guess), but they won't actually open. You have to release, and then swipe down again.

Or swipe down then just tap the top of the screen rather than swiping down a second time.

Jigolo

How is modern Touchwiz? I'm planning to buy an S5 Mini if the Moto X+1 doesn't come to Telus. I remember it being a hot mess around the time of the S3.
Just as bad as all the previous mini phones ever created (excluding the compact). You're better off getting the s4 or some other phone from last year at a cheaper price if money is your concern. S5 mini will be overpriced when it launches

SimleuqiR

I want that on my N5 running the L preview NOW. I'm bored of the KK look. It's gonna suck if they don't release any of their redesigned apps until the final L release. I understand that it's just a dev preview, but shouldn't they provide some examples of redesigned apps (and not just vague screenshots) for devs to check out?

I don't think Devs need Google apps for guidance...Shouldn't there be a Design Guide already available for Devs?

Apps that have some Material in them are:

Keep
Google+

Those two have a lot of the Material elements in them

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Or swipe down then just tap the top of the screen rather than swiping down a second time.

Sure, but that takes about as long. I want a 1-step method to get there.

I don't think Devs need Google apps for guidance...Shouldn't there be a Design Guide already available for Devs?

There is, but it's not quite complete yet. And even if it has generic examples of how things should look and behave it doesn't really give the full picture of what a Material app should be.

Pachimari

My iPhone 5 have sadly broken down, and I want to get myself a phone today - it have been hard enough with no phone at all.

Should I go for the LG G3, Galaxy S5, Sony Z2 or HTC M8?

At this point I would care more about camera than display and speakers.

Toki767

My iPhone 5 have sadly broken down, and I want to get myself a phone today - it have been hard enough with no phone at all.

Should I go for the LG G3, Galaxy S5 or HTC M8?

At this point I would care more about camera than display and speakers.

Two questions before we can answer.

Are you buying the phone off contract? Is price a factor?

If you're in the US, the G3 is substantially cheaper than the S5 and the M8 off contract.

Pachimari

Two questions before we can answer.

Are you buying the phone off contract? Is price a factor?

If you're in the US, the G3 is substantially cheaper than the S5 and the M8 off contract.

Off contract and price is no factor. :)

I am in Scaninavia.

So price doesn't come into play sir.

Toki767

Off contract and price is no factor. :)

I am in Scaninavia.

So price doesn't come into play sir.

I'm going to say the S5 has the best overall camera picture quality-wise, but not by a huge margin. The G3 does have optical image stabilization though which the S5 doesn't.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is an LG G2 still worth it for $400?

Priorities are battery life, camera, and general reliability. Budget is around that price.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The G2 is still worth it in general, though I thought you could probably get one for a bit less than that by now.

All prices i can see are around that price. And getting it through tmobile means free financing which we don't need but seems obvious to take when available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom