• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodember

original.jpg

$204/$232 with better specs than the 5X. Flash Cyanogen and good to go.

I'm pretty sure that don't have US LTE bands either.

Check the |OT| for the event? Hasn't someone made one yet?

A garbage event for garbage devices doesn't need an OT.

And honestly, if OP as a company wasn't such a shit company, I'd at least consider one of their phones. But them focusing on India and the Asian market doesn't give me much hope. They're basically focusing on markets where they can get away with shit practices and garbage support.

Broank

Picked up a Nexus 6 a few days ago at Best Buy on a whim when I saw they had it for cheap (and I had a lot of rewards certificates that are expiring in a couple months). First time using android since the og nexus 7.

So far it's fucking nice and super fast and slick and colorful. Just popped in my sim and boom it was all ready to go like nothing. Heated up like a mofo when I was doing the updates but hasn't since. The ridiculous hugeness hasn't bothered me at all, actually really love it. Fits in my pocket and my hand/hands seem nimble enough to use it without any strain. Works great with my old Nokia wireless charger. Also tried some VR apps with a crappy 25 dollar headset I found on Amazon, that was pretty cool. Still pretty pixilated even with the high res screen.

linkboy

Picked up a Nexus 6 a few days ago at Best Buy on a whim when I saw they had it for cheap (and I had a lot of rewards certificates that are expiring in a couple months). First time using android since the og nexus 7.

So far it's fucking nice and super fast and slick and colorful. Just popped in my sim and boom it was all ready to go like nothing. Heated up like a mofo when I was doing the updates but hasn't since. The ridiculous hugeness hasn't bothered me at all, actually really love it. Fits in my pocket and my hand/hands seem nimble enough to use it without any strain. Works great with my old Nokia wireless charger. Also tried some VR apps with a crappy 25 dollar headset I found on Amazon, that was pretty cool. Still pretty pixilated even with the high res screen.

I should be getting mine in the next few days. Can't wait as my Nexus 5 is driving me batshit crazy.

Broank

I should be getting mine in the next few days. Can't wait as my Nexus 5 is driving me batshit crazy.

I love my trusty 920 but it's been going crazy on me the last couple months. Funny thing is I think it weighs more than my Nexus 6. lol Maybe thats why the size doesn't bother me as much as I thought from hearing all the hubub.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Good decision. It's probably the best price per experience phone out there today.

tzare

skip year indeed.
I'd go for last year flaship. Note 4 all the way: ir blaster, gorgeous screen, kinda 'cheap' compared to recent phones, spen, big screen. Smaller phone, z3 for me.

I'm still baffled that someone decided to make such ... strange ... decisions hardware-wise instead of just stripping some "luxury" stuff (1080p Screen instead of QHD, etc.) from the G4, slap the Nexus branding on it, selling for about the same price as the N5X as it is and call it a day...
So ... basically like they did with the N5 2013 ... i have the feeling they put a lot of work to make device notably worse for about the same price range now.

And i'm asking myself why i'm still interested in the news Nexus phones that i won't get in Germany (ever? for some weeks/months?) at all.

tzare

As much as people are disappointed, is the 5X a decent upgrade on my Z3 Compact?

my opinion is that it would be a downgrade unless you are heavy into gaming, i think nexus' 808 SOC has a better GPU compared to 801 but i doubt it has noticeable better performance in normal usage and unless you care for fingerprintscanner, i wouldn't go for it. And we have yet to see how it performs taking photos, and battery life is probably much better on the xperia.

Both have 2GB RAM, both have a 1080p display, the M7 starts at 32GB storage, the Nexus most definitely has a better camera and battery life, a fingerprint scanner, usb type c, and the snapdragon 808 is significantly better than the 600 in the M7. I'd say that's a pretty great upgrade over the M7.

Anth1888

If there's no better phones out this year, then I think I will have to go with Samsung, oddly.

Agreed, going to buy the Edge or Edge Plus, prices have dropped significantly. Upgrading from a Z1 so will be a noticeable improvement - unless I see a 6P in person beforehand.

couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

hope hey rollback to SD cards, removable batteries and IR ports

I bet samsung reverses stance on SD cards. Not sure about removeably batteries.

I've said it before but the S7 will be really interesting because it'll show how reactive samsung is in trying to impress everyone. If they stay the course and release basically the same phone with higher specs, they basically don't really care anymore. If they fix the problems with the S6 as well as introduce something new and useful (3D touch), then maybe they do care.

Pachimari

I've said it before but the S7 will be really interesting because it'll show how reactive samsung is in trying to impress everyone. If they stay the course and release basically the same phone with higher specs, they basically don't really care anymore. If they fix the problems with the S6 as well as introduce something new and useful (3D touch), then maybe they do care.

What were the problems of the S6?

I really hope they will round out the back of the S7. The S6 Edge really doesn't feel that good in the hand.

[edit]
Ah shit dp. I were supposed to edit the one above.

What were the problems of the S6?

I really hope they will round out the back of the S7. The S6 Edge really doesn't feel that good in the hand.
Personally for me the only huge problem is the battery. Increasing the resolution by that much and decreasing the battery capacity doesn't generally work out.

I don't care about the other issues but depending on who you talk to there's also lack of SD card support/removable batteries/IR blaster/and maybe something else.

Also not to mention the prices were ridiculously high for a samsung phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Remember, no one is allowed to buy SHIT until I post I got my order in.

No comments on the Google Play Store rebranding? I'm glad it's happening, because Google Play is such a stupid and shitty name.

And no, I didn't read. Sue me.

No comments on the Google Play Store rebranding? I'm glad it's happening, because Google Play is such a stupid and shitty name.

And no, I didn't read. Sue me.
That's because there is no rebranding. It was a CM theme that changed the branding in the Play Store.

And I like Google Play.

Google Play is a solid branding effort for their apps/multimedia content and they'd be crazy to rebrand it.

Huge step forward from the Android Market, and a far more cohesive approach than Apple's disjointed App Store/iTunes Store setup.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So I got this.
Are there any inherent disadvantages of the international models?
Probably should've asked before buying.

Not really. International models are direct from the OEM (samsung), so you'll get updates before carrier models ever would. The only thing I'd be worried about is making sure your carrier fits with the right LTE bands (which shouldn't have any issues, since it has a lot of them) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom