• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Naw. Going to buy it for the mobile team at the company.

/AndroidDevelopmentProblems

Make a new QuickPic because this guy is a lying dirtbag.

Cheetah Mobile has contributed a lot to Android and fixed many issues that Google and many smartphone companies could not. The fragmentation of the Android system is getting increasingly serious which could sabotage all Android users’ experience in the future. With the help of a company like Cheetah Mobile who is dedicated to solving problems and improving the Android ecosystem, I sincerely believe that QuickPic can grow faster and better in the future.

Since I'm an android noob I was wondering...

Could I use hangouts as my main messaging app? Kind of like iMessage?

Since I'm transferring between computers a lot between work and home, part of the appeal of android for me was being able to kind of 'live on the web' as opposed to iOS where I was basically tied down to my computer for backups/iMessage/etc. Since iCloud is a damn mess, I was always hesistant to plug my iPhone/connect iMessage to it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Since I'm transferring between computers a lot between work and home, part of the appeal of android for me was being able to kind of 'live on the web' as opposed to iOS where I was basically tied down to my computer for backups/iMessage/etc. Since iCloud is a damn mess, I was always hesistant to plug my iPhone/connect iMessage to it.

Yes.

yes you can but it doesn't work exactly like imessage. With that said you can use it as your main sms/chatting app, as well as through chrome on any pc you own.

Android Authority says LG Nexus 5X coming September 29th, starting at $399.

Perhaps the most important detail we gleaned from our source is the price of the Nexus 5X: the device will be affordable, but not as affordable as the original Nexus 5. The Nexus 5X will cost $50 more than the Nexus 5, according to our source. That means we can expect a starting point of $399 for the 16GB model and $449 for the 32GB model, assuming Google has decided to stick with 16GB for the base version.

$399 for 16gb? Googy pls.

Android Authority isn't very reliable. Hopefully, the same holds true here.

Name is dumb also.

I also hope it's 32gb as the base because the canadian dollar is going to fuck us hard here but I have a feeling it will be 16gb. Can't win it all I guess.

Still want it.

Android Authority says LG Nexus 5X coming September 29th, starting at $399.

$399 for 16gb? Googy pls.

Android Authority isn't very reliable. Hopefully, the same holds true here.

Name is dumb also.

399 for 16 GB? What? Are they nuts? And Nexus 5X? Does the X stand for eXtreme?

First Motorola with their 299 announcement yesterday and now this rumor. It's like OEMs forgot to price their products appropriately.

Maiar_m

Still ok with 400€ price if that battery holds up ok. Actually I wish the Z5C had that price tag, I really don't get the Sony premium.

kami_sama

Android Police said it will be 16/32, which I absolutely believe.

$399 starting for 16gb though... Yikes.

Yep. The battery seems decent enough. The Pure has a 3 Ah one, and it's a 5.7 inch 1440p display, and it looks to fare well, at least from what I've heard. But 16gb for $400? Nope. At least 32gb with a micro sd, or 64gb.

Still ok with 400€ price if that battery holds up ok. Actually I wish the Z5C had that price tag, I really don't get the Sony premium.

The rumor says $399 and not €399. It could be more in Euro. Much like how the Moto X Style costs €499 vs $399.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wonder if I even need 32gb for a phone I'll only keep a year. It's a dilemma. You always want more for peace of mind.

16 gigs is fucking TINY.

You gotta remember you are probably gonna end up with sub 10 gigs after the OS+ Standard Apps.

Then if you want to actually use the phone for shit while you own it space goes quick. Games, music, movies, pics, videos, podcasts, updates, random files ect.. ect.. Kill space.

I'm not saying you or the average user needs a 128 gig phone either. I think 32 gigs is the sweet spot.

reKon

Banned
16 GB and it's 2015. It's going to be even more funny when the iPhone has a 16 GB base model with its 4K recording capabilities... what a joke.

But hey, just buy more iCloud storage!

Micro SD is important these days and extremely affordable. You can still have a very thin phone and great battery life even with expandable storage evidenced by Xperia Z3. I don't understand the lame excuses from the small defense force that I've seen from in this thread regarding that option. As long as Nexus phones continue to give me average battery life, average camera's, and poor storage options, I will probably never buy one.

Ty4on

You could get the first gen iPhone with 16GB and starting from the 3GS 16GB was base. I mean seriously, is 32GB that expensive?

16 gigs is fucking TINY.

You gotta remember you are probably gonna end up with sub 10 gigs after the OS+ Standard Apps.

Then if you want to actually use the phone for shit while you own it space goes quick. Games, music, movies, pics, videos, podcasts, updates, random files ect.. ect.. Kill space.

I'm not saying you or the average user needs a 128 gig phone either. I think 32 gigs is the sweet spot.
Yeah but a year isn't that long. I store stuff like photos mostly on the cloud and delete from my device. I'm not a big app guy. Mostly light stuff. Music will be the only really heavy thing. But yeah I'll have to see the Canadian pricing.

Volotaire

The Nexus 5 launched at £299 for the 16GB version and £329 for the 32GB version in the UK. I would not be happy about a price hike if they are keeping the 16GB model.

j-wood

I'm not surprised at the 16 GB. I'm perfectly happy with 16 GB. But not for 399.

What exactly is it that makes you wish you had waited?

The faster proc, bigger screen (mainly because you can see the bottom numbers without the flat tire cutting it off on the 46mm case).

The Nexus 5 launched at £299 for the 16GB version and £329 for the 32GB version in the UK. I would not be happy about a price hike if they are keeping the 16GB model.

Yeah, Nexus 5 was $350 US on release and £300 UK, if they follow suit and it's $400 US / £350 UK it'll be a no from me.

I'll go £330 tops for this, if the base size is 32GB.

RuGalz

You could get the first gen iPhone with 16GB and starting from the 3GS 16GB was base. I mean seriously, is 32GB that expensive?

No 16G is just a bait to make you buy higher capacity version for higher margin. They really should just follow Apple, 16/64. lol

Iirc, the Nexus 4 launched with 8GB and 16GB, then the Nexus 5 launched with 16GB and 32GB and about 50€/$ more than the Nexus 4.

The Nexus 6 launched with 32GB and 64GB

So ... i doubt the N5-2 will be 16GB / 32GB ... if they keep that generational jumps.

I can see the N5-2 at 32/64GB, the N6-2 at 64/128GB.

Groof

Iirc, the Nexus 4 launched with 8GB and 16GB, then the Nexus 5 launched with 16GB and 32GB and about 50€/$ more than the Nexus 4.

So ... i doubt the N5-2 will be 16GB / 32GB ... if they keep that generational jumps.

Hahahahahaha

But the Nexus 6 was sold at a premium price point. The New Nexus 5 is supposed to be more affordable.

But the Nexus 6 was sold at a premium price point. The New Nexus 5 is supposed to be more affordable.
Well, i'm not saying that it will cost as much as its' predecessor, i'm sure they up the price. 32GB starting point should not really be impossible.

Hahahahahaha
Bet you would've laughed when i told you, that Sony brings a smartphone with a 4K display, right?

Stranger things have happend...

SimleuqiR

Isn't it possible to use google photos to keep photos in the cloud while freeing up local storage?

Yes.

32 gigs is fine by me.
I have never filled up my Nexus 5 to the brim. Currently I still have 10 gigs available.
Don't take many pictures or videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom