• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually considering keeping the Moto X 2nd gen I bought. Trying to decide if Moto X Pure is worth double the price. When I put it like that, I'm not sure it is.

How much extra bloatware comes on the Verizon Moto X vs Pure?
get rid of it for a nexus 5-2

Volotaire

Can we talk about these Z5 prices?

http://9to5google.com/2015/09/03/sonys-new-xperia-phones-will-set-you-back-a-pretty-penny/

All alleged costs:

Z5 Premium costs $1,070 in US dollars
Xperia Z5 costs $915
The Z5 Compact costs $838 US.

These prices cannot stick for the US market because they far surpass Apple and Samsung prices.

Someone help me justify the cost of these devices.

The article, if we can call if that, converts the currency directly from sterling. The market price in the US will not be a direct conversion because

1) Products are priced differently in different markets
2) 20% VAT tax in the UK. Different countries have different fiscal policy.
3) Countries with different regulatory laws can cause differentials in price if there are significant legal/technical barriers to overcome.

Yea, I think I'll use it until the Nexus 5-2 gets down to $350 or so.
I've done my job

IwXuOYY.gif

They kinda do.
Wrong!!!

Because we want perfect phone but no phone is perfect so they always find a way to complain. Even if they are very nitpicking

I mean most of the conversation is simply "Phone 1 have feature A and Phone 2 have feature B. But I want phone that have A and B! therefore Phone 1 and Phone 2 sucks!!!"

Funny enough, original android selling point is "it offer many options!". Now we just want an android phone that rule all other phone.

Cause everyone is still awaiting this mythical phone that will never come. They have to settle for things like the Moto x Pure or Nexus line. I can understand the hate.

If we had the perfect phone and it ended up costing $600 off contract, people would still be bitching that it's too expensive.

Truths. Android is good, plenty phones are really good, but in this bubble every phone is pure shit apparently.

reKon

Banned
So I guess I'm going to go for the Galaxy Tab S2 for now at $300. Battery life is going to be similar between that and the Zen Pad, but performance is likely going to be near top notch and the screen is still brilliant so it will be a nice upgrade over my Nexus 7 (2013). My only concern is app reloading issues that the Note 5 faced. Does anyone with a Note 4 have issues with this?

I hope this best buy trade in thing doesn't give me issues..

So I guess I'm going to go for the Galaxy Tab S2 for now at $300. Battery life is going to be similar between that and the Zen Pad, but performance is likely going to be near top notch and the screen is still brilliant so it will be a nice upgrade over my Nexus 7 (2013). My only concern is app reloading issues that the Note 5 faced. Does anyone with a Note 4 have issues with this?

I hope this best buy trade in thing doesn't give me issues..
smaller battery than last year because they wanted to go thinner

just say no man. We votin' right accross the board!

Reckoner

Just imagine if this year's Nexus was made by Sony with that gorgeous omnibalance design, frosted glass on the back, side fingerprint sensor, great camera, great battery... Instead of that horrendous Huawei we've seen leaked.

I can't help myself but wonder, after these lovely Z5 series phones were announced.

reKon

Banned
smaller battery than last year because they wanted to go thinner

just say no man. We votin' right accross the board!

I know, I hate this too!

I especially like this excerpt from the Verge review: "Samsung’s explanation for all of these decisions around the Tab S2 is that it mostly expects this to be a "living room device" — which maybe also says something about how we’re all using (or not using) our tablets. Battery life, in this scenario, doesn’t matter as much; you can always plug in if it’s lying around the house."

Well they are half right. But at the very least, this could have included fast charging.. SMH.

Anyways, I don't spend over $300 on android tablets. I don't use phablets. My Nexus 7 (2013) is borderline unusable. I really need/want something for when I'm traveling and when I'm laying in bed. The most important thing to me was performance and screen quality based on my experience with the Nexus 7 and I have a portable charger now when I travel. Other than the Zenpad, there's no Android tablet's worth owning around the $300 price range since all the cheaper ones suck and all the $400 ones... are $400 lol.

Hasney

Just imagine if this year's Nexus was made by Sony with that gorgeous omnibalance design, frosted glass on the back, side fingerprint sensor, great camera, great battery... Instead of that horrendous Huawei we've seen leaked.

I can't help myself but wonder, after these lovely Z5 series phones were announced.

Sure, if they made it man sized like the old Z Ultra, I'd be down.

Reckoner

Sure, if they made it man sized like the old Z Ultra, I'd be down.

Actually, I would be ok with a compact sized or even the regular sized. I got a bit tired of walking around with a gigantic phone when I had my Nexus 6.

Btw, now I noticed that having the fingerprint sensor on the side can be a big inconvenient to left handed people like me. How would I use it comfortably? It is more convenient to have it like this if you are right handed, even more on big phones where you don't have to reach for the top back or bottom front to get your finger on the spot, but what about that?

I know, I hate this too!

I especially like this excerpt from the Verge review: "Samsung’s explanation for all of these decisions around the Tab S2 is that it mostly expects this to be a "living room device" — which maybe also says something about how we’re all using (or not using) our tablets. Battery life, in this scenario, doesn’t matter as much; you can always plug in if it’s lying around the house."

Well they are half right. But at the very least, this could have included fast charging! SMH.

Anyways, I don't spend over $300 on android tablets. I don't use phablets. My Nexus 7 (2013) is borderline unusable. I really need/want something for when I'm traveling and when I'm laying in bed. The most important thing to me was performance and screen quality based on my experience with the Nexus 7 and I have a portable charger now when I travel.

this ... kinda makes sense.

haven't really seen too many tablets in the wild this year. people just have big phones now. i see a lot of 6+s and Notes and some other stuff.

this ... kinda makes sense.

haven't really seen too many tablets in the wild this year. people just have big phones now. i see a lot of 6+s and Notes and some other stuff.
meh it's kind of BS though. My Nex9 has shit tier battery and although I almost exclusively use it in bed and the charge cable is in arms reach, it's still a hassle. Wish I could leave it off for more days.

Android Police put up their S6 edge+ review and note 5 review. I lold during the battery life section:

I don't want to say it's bad. But it's also... not good. For me, the S6 edge+ can barely, and I mean barely, eek through a day of away-from-home usage. And sometimes it can't even manage that, and sometimes it can't even manage it when I'm using the power saving mode.

Most of the drain is hard to manage, too, because it seems to occur when the phone is idle. There is no unusual process activity in battery stats, and even with VoLTE disabled, the battery life is still plainly subpar.

Three hours of screen-on time was doable if I actively worked to burn through the battery by mid to late afternoon and then charge back up, but even on days where I wasn't even using the phone for more than an hour or so, it would still end the night at under 50%, most of that just being idle seepage.

The Note 5, I have to assume, is similar - I simply haven't used it as my true daily device, but the internals, including the battery, are the same, and there's no reason to think it would use any more or less power to significantly change the experience.

The bright side is samsung is a very reactive company. I really am curious to see the S7 battery.

reKon

Banned
I'm convinced that if you're on Verizon, you automatically get 75% of the battery life that you're normally supposed to get.

Furyous

My post from earlier in this thread:

Why would I lurk uk websites? Nobody reads bofa............

I expect prices to shake out like this:

$750 to $850 for the Z5P.
$600 to $700 for the Z5
$500 to $550 for the Z5C.

Another currency is different but I'm talking about 'Merica. This device needs to change before it comes stateside anyway if they're charging $700+. USB C 3.0 and IR need to be standards if they're charging all this money. Before anyone says WHO NEEDS IR AND USB C 3.0 in a flagship, ask yourself what else it would take for you to spend $800 of your money on a flagship. I have yet to spend over $534 on a smartphone so the $800 pricetag is giving me headache trying to justify the cost.

Reckoner

$600 to $700 for the Z5

Another currency is different but I'm talking about 'Merica. This device needs to change before it comes stateside anyway if they're charging $700+. USB C 3.0 and IR need to be standards if they're charging all this money. Before anyone says WHO NEEDS IR AND USB C 3.0 in a flagship, ask yourself what else it would take for you to spend $800 of your money on a flagship. I have yet to spend over $534 on a smartphone so the $800 pricetag is giving me headache trying to justify the cost.

You can't really justify giving that much for a phone these days. I payed a lot for my Nexus 6 and got a bit of remorse until I sold it. I was dead set on getting the new iPhone but with these new phones I can't justify that either. It's just too much when for 399 or stretching it a bit more to 499 you can get a really good experience very close if not equal to the 799 one.

Or maybe I should be rich.

reKon

Banned

$600 to $700 for the Z5

You're bitching about prices you won't have to pay. You're talking to someone who bought last year's compact model phone at fucking launch as a preorder for around $490, lol...

I don't know what else to even say.

Edit: I didn't actually clearly read the pricing you included in your post, so this time I didn't read!

You can't really justify giving that much for a phone these days. I payed a lot for my Nexus 6 and got a bit of remorse until I sold it. I was dead set on getting the new iPhone but with these new phones I can't justify that either. It's just too much when for 399 or stretching it a bit more to 499 you can get a really good experience very close if not equal to the 799 one.

Or maybe I should be rich.
Yeah, I just cannot justify high prices as a college student. Last year I was a big proponent of the Z3. But that was expensive and the Moto X was a relatively great experience.

Maybe being rich would change that.

Think i've pretty much got it in my head i'm going for the Nexus

Meanwhile still haven't sold my N6 xD
of course you're going for the nexus. It's the long awaited sequel to the best to do it. It's a momentous occasion. Who knows how google will mess up the nexus program next year.

VoxPop

N6 seems to be averaging at $300-350 on Ebay. Better get rid of it quick before the official announcement before it reaches the mid 200's.

The front of the glorious nexus 5-2 folks, on a spike lee angle, not a fan of the grills but don't even care, looks exactly like the onleaks render:

HEU94ww.png

Holy shit

So thick. It must have the biggest battery on the market.

Btw, the 808 is 64bit right?
we already know the rough dimensions, and the battery size if the rumours were right. 9.8mm on the thickness.

I'm not a dual speaker guy I would prefer a smaller phone but eh, still one of the smallest with good specs we'll get these days.

daoster

If the Nexus 5x disappoints, then that Z5 is looking mighty fine. No USB-C is kind of a bummer, but not a deal breaker.

On the real tho, I hope Marshmallow doesn't suck. My girlfriend, who's been an Android only person was nearly going to give up on her M8 until I flashed another ROM in. My friend is already ditching his phone for the next iPhone because his s5 has sucked so much after lollipop.

This may just be because of the OEM's shit making lollipop suck more (I'm on Nexus 6 and its fine), but the initial version of stock Lollipop wasn't exactly great either.

If the Nexus 5x disappoints, then that Z5 is looking mighty fine. No USB-C is kind of a bummer, but not a deal breaker.

On the real tho, I hope Marshmallow doesn't suck. My girlfriend, who's been an Android only person was nearly going to give up on her M8 until I flashed another ROM in. My friend is already ditching his phone for the next iPhone because his s5 has sucked so much after lollipop.

This may just be because of the OEM's shit making lollipop suck more (I'm on Nexus 6 and its fine), but the initial version of stock Lollipop wasn't exactly great either.
latest marshmallow preview seems to have good reviews overall from users. I'm sure the nexus 5x will benefit from it. With that said, google has plenty of time to screw it up.

God damn it, I just cracked my S4 screen. I might be in the new phone market earlier than I wanted.
one of us one of us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom