• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

I don't know if $620 is going to be the actual price. I preordered my Xperia Z3 Compact at launch last year for $490 from one of the major UK retailers (I think Handtec). I live in the US and got it imported over here. I wouldn't be surprised if there were pre order sales again on these devices.

People will generally be saving google music, pictures, and videos to that micro SD so the fuck are you complaining about here? I will gladly take 32 GB + Micro SD storage over 64 GB/128 GB with no storage (unless you're arguing that 64 GB / 128 GB should include an SD card). To add to this, we're talking about a 4.6 inch phone right? How many 2 GB + games do you plan on playing this thing, because to me that's a pretty small screen. If we're talking tablets, then I can understand why at least 64 GB is a must have.

Also lol @ the Moto G w/ 810 SD. Ya'll are reaching today...

I don't like the SD 810 much either, but c'mon now...

$620

I'm not going to argue with you when you're arguing how smooth it is or how much more RAM doesn't matter when I never even insinuated anything about performance.

Ty4on

$620 for midrange Android specs. Sony pls.

You can't expect to put iPhone specs and have it run with the same fluidity on an Android device. This shenanigan might have worked in 2003 when you were relevant but not today. They think they're still some top tier company.. This company would have been in the shitter a long time ago without their movie division.

With iPhone specs Android might function properly.

In other news, I can't believe I hadn't checked it before, but the S620 is on 28nm. S820 is looking more interesting though. I hope clocks are not pushed as hard as they were in the S810.
snapdragon-cpu-tiers-examples.jpg

reKon

Banned
I'm not going to argue with you when you're arguing how smooth it is or how much more RAM doesn't matter when I never even insinuated anything about performance.

I think I understand you now. The phone would have to be a Galaxy S6 with a bigger battery to be not considered mid range and worth the selling price?

Well I won't say that nobody reads because you clearly read and decided to ignore me anyways:

http://www.clove.co.uk/sony-xperia-z5-compact - preorder for now is £365.83 or $560

Like I said last year, both clove and handtec had preorder price drops. Here was the handtec one: http://blog.handtec.co.uk/pre-order-price-drop-sony-xperia-z3-and-z3-compact-limited-offer/ (£290)

The price didn't go back up either after launch. Therefore, nothing with the pricing is final and there's still a chance it goes lower than $560, but please carry on...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Isn't $620 converted from the UK price? US always gets stuff cheaper so at worst it'll be $599, probably cheaper.

iPhone 6 is half the storage and half the ram for $649, and is obviously not mid-range. It seems only with android is a phone with the top end processor currently available, 2GB ram, and a 23mp camera 'midrange'.

I swear some of the posters in here are their own worst enemy in terms of always wanting what is next and anything that actually releases is never good enough.

I think I understand you now. The phone would have to be a Galaxy S6 with a bigger battery to be not considered mid range and worth the selling price?

Well I won't say that nobody reads because you clearly read and decided to ignore me anyways:

http://www.clove.co.uk/sony-xperia-z5-compact - preorder for now is £365.83 or $560

Like I said last year, both clove and handtec had preorder price drops. Here was the handtec one: http://blog.handtec.co.uk/pre-order-price-drop-sony-xperia-z3-and-z3-compact-limited-offer/ (£290)

The price didn't go back up either after launch. Therefore, nothing with the pricing is final and there's still a chance it goes lower than $560, but please carry on...

Yup clearly what I said. This thread title is perfect for you.

Holy fuck, Motorola. I've made peace with the flat tire. It's okay. Actually, it's not. But I'll live.
But then they set the price to $299 for the basic configuration, which is only $50 cheaper than the perfectly round Huawei watch. Both are basically the same height as well (11.3 vs. 11.4 mm). And the Huawei watch has sapphire glass. 249 would've been an instant buy, but 299? Not that much cheaper than the Huawei?

What's your damn excuse, Motorola? Because I really want to hear it!

Wreav

Banned
You know we're not Motorola, right?

Their excuse is they're hemorrhaging money, they're out of ideas, and they are starting their descent into HTC Valley.

Holy fuck, Motorola. I've made peace with the flat tire. It's okay. Actually, it's not. But I'll live.
But then they set the price to $299 for the basic configuration, which is only $50 cheaper than the perfectly round Huawei watch. Both are basically the same height as well. And the Huawei watch has sapphire glass. 249 would've been an instant buy, but 299? Not that much cheaper than the Huawei?

Discount on Moto X. Premium on watch. Gotta make that profit somehow.

But then they set the price to $299 for the basic configuration, which is only $50 cheaper than the perfectly round Huawei watch. Both are basically the same height as well (11.3 vs. 11.4 mm). And the Huawei watch has sapphire glass. 249 would've been an instant buy, but 299? Not that much cheaper than the Huawei?

sapphire on the 299 huawei? Nice. It's huawei or the iway man. Look to the title.

Also I still don't think the style is good enough. Should be 50 bucks less than it is givent he lack of scanner and whatnot. It is better than the G4 though. LG really shit the bed this year :p

sapphire on the 299 huawei? Nice. It's huawei or the iway man. Look to the title.

Also I still don't think the style is good enough. Should be 50 bucks less than it is givent he lack of scanner and whatnot.

You misunderstood me. The Moto 360 is 299, but has a flat tire and no sapphire glass. The Huawei starts at 349 (silver, leather band), but has a round display, same thin bezels and sapphire glass. I'd probably still pick the Moto for the charging cradle and brand perception (silly, but it's a thing for a reason), but 299 vs the 249 last year is a bit disappointing.

You misunderstood me. The Moto 360 is 299, but has a flat tire and no sapphire glass. The Huawei starts at 349 (silver, leather band), but has a round display, same thin bezels and sapphire glass. I'd probably still pick the Moto for the charging cradle and brand perception (silly, but it's a thing for a reason), but 299 vs the 249 last year is a bit disappointing.
That's still pretty good for 350 to have sapphire on a watch. To me sapphire is an absolute must on normal watches and if I ever get a smartwatch. Every watch I've ever owned I've banged while turning corners and other random circumstances.

I feel you though there is something janky-esque about buying some chinese company over motorola but Huawei has made a ton of strides the past year or so. They aren't the cheap ass company they once were. But who knows about their watches. Unproven.

That's still pretty good for 350 to have sapphire on a watch. To me sapphire is an absolute must on normal watches and if I ever get a smartwatch. Every watch I've ever owned I've banged while turning corners and other random circumstances.

I feel you though there is something janky-esque about buying some chinese company over motorola but Huawei has made a ton of strides the past year or so. They aren't the cheap ass company they once were. But who knows about their watches. Unproven.

I just looked up retailer prices for the first gen 360 and it's 144 for the silver one and 177 for the black one. I mean, it's a bit hard not to cheap out at this point, even when the first gen is probably worse in every way (it set the bar really low, though). That said, given the history of the shitty SoC in the first gen, it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't get Wear 2.0.

I just don't think that I'm ready to spend $349 for something made by Huawei, even if the quality is here.

Wreav

Banned
People comparing Apple and android hardware as if they are somehow on parity cracks me up. iOS gets a full day of battery life with what, 1500mah hours?

People comparing Apple and android hardware as if they are somehow on parity cracks me up. iOS gets a full day of battery life with what, 1500mah hours?
which is why it kills me when companies like samsung sacrifice battery to try to compete with apple on thinness. Only problem is apple can afford the thinness.

EmiPrime

I don't know why I am taking you seriously but...

Judging by the number of people I know who bring their iPhone charger with them I don't think that's true at all. I used to keep mine on me too when I had an iPhone.

The 6+ is a beast and that has just shy of 3000 mAh. Every other iPhone has mediocre battery life.

VoxPop

Judging by the number of people I know who bring their iPhone charger with them I don't think that's true at all. I used to keep mine on me too when I had an iPhone.

The 6+ is a beast and that has just shy of 3000 mAh. Every other iPhone has mediocre battery life.

I usually get a full day of battery or more on my 6. But then again, all I really do is use iMessage, Evernote, listen to music, fantasy football, Flipboard and browse the web. Don't really play any games except the occasional Hearthstone game when I really have nothing to do. I'm usually at 45% by the time I get home around 6PM. I also use it when I'm running in the morning before work but that only drains about 3% at most but I usually charge it back to full while getting ready.

The iPhone 6 has a 1810mAh battery. Can't even imagine what kinda battery life I would get with 3000mAh. Must be awesome on other phones.

I usually get a full day of battery or more on my 6. But then again, all I really do is use iMessage, Evernote, listen to music, fantasy football, Flipboard and browse the web. Don't really play any games except the occasional Hearthstone game when I really have nothing to do. I'm usually at 45% by the time I get home around 6PM. I also use it when I'm running in the morning before work but that only drains about 3% at most but I usually charge it back to full while getting ready.

The iPhone 6 has a 1810mAh battery. Can't even imagine what kinda battery life I would get with 3000mAh. Must be awesome on other phones.
messaging uses a lot of battery but yeah my experience is about the same. I use it every day from 6am to 6pm, just about all day texting and getting non stop emails pushed to it and occasional web browsing and I get home with about 50-65% left. Pretty impressive. In fact the one thing that destroys my battery is Hangouts for iOS.

I have a work android phone (it's an s5) that I rarely even touch since I don't use it unless someone calls me but it also has emails pushed to it all day and occasional texting and somehow it dies the same amount or more every day. Not even sure what's going on there. There's like 2 apps on it that I got myself.

Talon

My iPhone 6 ends the day at 7 PM around 50-60% regularly after getting bombarded with work emails and using Overcast, Music, iMessage, Calendar, Evernote, Safari pretty regularly.

Since I got the Apple Watch, it actually ends closer to 70%, which is sort of amazing.

I've been using S6 Edge for the past week as my primary driver, and I'm ending closer to 30-40%.

The biggest fuck-up I've noticed in Android land is that the idle battery loss. I went to sleep with the S6 Edge at 15% at night, and it died overnight. If you did the same thing in an iPhone 6, it would still be at 13% at worst.

reKon

Banned

battest.jpg

Something like this except way better (this test is done on wifi, with the radio off though). It would to be a thicker phone though. They an iPhone with a 2400 mAH battery and 7.5 mm would be ideal and they should have done instead of chasing thinness.

What happened to your OPT man?

Sold it. Made a nice profit.

*daps* I did this with the G3. It was cool until I realized 5.5 inches is too big for me.

Yeah best way to go. Moto said you couldn't cancel after k e hour so I said fuck that. Will give me time to use it and still cancel after Nexus reveal.

when did it go up? I can't seem to find it...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SEXKI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My iPhone 6 ends the day at 7 PM around 50-60% regularly after getting bombarded with work emails and using Overcast, Music, iMessage, Calendar, Evernote, Safari pretty regularly.

Since I got the Apple Watch, it actually ends closer to 70%, which is sort of amazing.

I've been using S6 Edge for the past week as my primary driver, and I'm ending closer to 30-40%.

The biggest fuck-up I've noticed in Android land is that the idle battery loss. I went to sleep with the S6 Edge at 15% at night, and it died overnight. If you did the same thing in an iPhone 6, it would still be at 13% at worst.

I have a 6+ for work and the battery is insane. I just got home (7:30pm) and my battery is at 76% right now. I have Exchange (push) and Gmail (scheduled 30min fetch) set up with a ton of texting on iMessage and Hangouts.

My Nexus 7 drops like 20% battery just sitting idle while I'm at work.

Talon

I have a 6+ for work and the battery is insane. I just got home (7:30pm) and my battery is at 76% right now. I have Exchange (push) and Gmail (scheduled 30min fetch) set up with a ton of texting on iMessage and Hangouts.

My Nexus 7 drops like 20% battery just sitting idle while I'm at work.
Battery sounds nice, but I don't want a phone that large. 4.7"-5" is the sweet spot for me.

More power to y'all that like bigger phones. No reason to hate.

Ty4on

I would really love to see how much of this is crappy reporting from the battery. Basically the battery is over reporting percentage which causes it to drop faster than it should. Batterylife from 100-0% is the same, but 15-0% is more like 7-0%. At least in my experience.

One time the indicator in my Nexus 4 completely went insane. It didn't dip a single percent from 85% for over an hour despite me using the phone. After a while it started going down as normal, but I use my camera a bit and it froze and when it restarted it had lost 28% percent. Then it stayed there and if I remember correctly barely lost any charge.
I took a couple of screenshots to document.

EmiPrime

That does sound decent. I finish the day on around 40% on my Nexus 5 with judicious use of airplane mode where there is no signal (like on the tube). The 6+ is on a whole other level though, that thing has incredible battery life that I am seriously jealous of.

Battery drain on my Nexus 5 overnight is around 6%. Android M is the real deal for standby times.

My SW3 was on 88% when I got home today, didn't seem worth charging so I just left it on my desk. Now the battery is flat. Fuck Android Wear, buggy load of shite it is.

Yes I am on 1.3.

Anyone with the new Google app no longer getting voice responses?

Edit: Rolled back to the previous version of the app and still no voice responses. I guess it's on Google's end, or my phone is acting up.

Everyone I know who has an iPhone has their charger or an external power bank on them and is charging it all the damn time. It's amazing how powerful Apple's mind control is, they all just assume that every phone is like that. They think I'm crazy when I tell them my Note lasts the entire day on a single charge even though I'm playing with it all the time.

EmiPrime

Everyone I know who has an iPhone has their charger or an external power bank on them and is charging it all the damn time. It's amazing how powerful Apple's mind control is, they all just assume that every phone is like that. They think I'm crazy when I tell them my Note lasts the entire day on a single charge even though I'm playing with it all the time.

Yeah the iPhone 4(S), 5(S) and 5C are by far the most common phones at my university (very rarely see a 6) and they definitely do not last the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom