• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never used it once but I got this email from cerebrus:

You received a free license for Cerberus in a promotional period. We deeply apologize, but unfortunately it was not feasible anymore to make it last for a lifetime, so your license will expire after 3 years of free service, on June 1st 2016.

Lol give for free then take it back later probably because you need money. I chuckled.

Reckoner

For a second here the Z5 Compact crossed my mind. Then I went to look at the price... and nope nope nope.

This thing should be priced 399. Expecting a price drop one month after already.

Fatalah

Hoping Swappa will be flooded soon with 2015 Moto X's so I can buy one in the cheap! There are always people out there switching phones!

Furyous

reKon

Banned

No because it really doesn't matter... like at all...

No apps don't really reload on my Z3C and the battery life was outstanding. The Z3C got better battery life than the Z3 and it was one of the best tested devices ever in measuring that. In fact the Z5C's is even bigger with the same screen size of 4.6 inches... The phone is already thick enough as it is for a flagship. It's the Galaxy S6 that could really benefit from a bigger battery as the Z3 Compact has a bigger battery than it does, lol.

Amazon.com to the rescue. My Canadian ass is getting a Moto X Pure

Moto_X_Style_Champagne_Front_Back.jpg

That Moto love. I hope you like the phone.

I'm currently using a borrowed Moto X 2013 and it's a pretty fantastic little phone. I'm worried about the Pure being a bit big for my hand, but I suppose I'll adjust. This Moto X I'm using is way hardier than the Z3C that broke earlier this year.

I'm currently using a borrowed Moto X 2013 and it's a pretty fantastic little phone. I'm worried about the Pure being a bit big for my hand, but I suppose I'll adjust. This Moto X I'm using is way hardier than the Z3C that broke earlier this year.

I'd say go try out a nexus 6, the pure is smaller than that so if you can use it you're fine.

terrier

The biggest fuck-up I've noticed in Android land is that the idle battery loss. I went to sleep with the S6 Edge at 15% at night, and it died overnight. If you did the same thing in an iPhone 6, it would still be at 13% at worst.

That is the main difference now when comparing battery life. IOS seems very stable when idle, but once you use the phone the drain is about the same or equivalent to most android phones.
That is what sony really did well with Xperia phones, and their stamina mode, when the phone is used, it drains as any other, but when idle is fantastic. Hopefully Google seems to have finally done something if those M previews are a signal of what is coming with Marshmallow and have implemented something similar to Stamina mode. Too bad only a fraction of the devices will get M.

Iacobellis

That is the main difference now when comparing battery life. IOS seems very stable when idle, but once you use the phone the drain is about the same or equivalent to most android phones.
That is what sony really did well with Xperia phones, and their stamina mode, when the phone is used, it drains as any other, but when idle is fantastic. Hopefully Google seems to have finally done something if those M previews are a signal of what is coming with Marshmallow and have implemented something similar to Stamina mode. To bad only a fraction of the devices will get M.

I remember when iPhones used to have astounding battery life compared to most Android phones.

Sigh. Battery technology really needs to get better.

Mindwipe

People comparing Apple and android hardware as if they are somehow on parity cracks me up. iOS gets a full day of battery life with what, 1500mah hours?

Sure, on the original iPhone. Every model since then? No.

When I switched from my iPhone 5 to Android the 5 lasted six hours on average.

Nicktendo86

Sure, on the original iPhone. Every model since then? No.

When I switched from my iPhone 5 to Android the 5 lasted six hours on average.
Yep, I am having to borrow my wife's iPhone 5 since I sent my Moto x 14 back and wait for the style, the battery life is terrible. Like, really really terrible. Idle time is ok but it runs down fast when being used, all phones will when they have to power a screen and iPhones are no different. Everyone I know in work by the way also have their iPhones permenently plugged into the wall.

For comparison, this iPhone needs to be charged at lunchtime and still goes to bed dead. My Moto x 14 didn't need to be charged during the day and would usually go to bed with about 15-20% remaining.

kami_sama

There's been already some reviews of the Pure released. Anyone knows how the battery holds up? Only to know how well will the Nexus 5 fare.

Nicktendo86

There's been already some reviews of the Pure released. Anyone knows how the battery holds up? Only to know how well will the Nexus 5 fare.
All reviews I've read is it lasts a day but no longer. None of the reviewers so far have actually done proper diagnostics. What the hell are reviewers paid to do?

kami_sama

All reviews I've read is it lasts a day but no longer. None of the reviewers so far have actually done proper diagnostics. What the hell are reviewers paid to do?

Yeah, I've found only some reviewers will test thoroughly the battery, Anandtech being one of them. But most of the time their reviews come a while after the phone releases.
Sony announces the Xperia Z5 line, Verizon still hasn't released their Z4v and T-Mobile isn't going to carry the new devices at all.

"But the introduction of the Xperia Z5 highlights a problem with getting its smartphones into the US market fast enough. Sony is still waiting to get the Xperia Z4v to the market through Verizon, even though that phone will essentially be a generation old by the time it's made available.

"Its announcement makes the Xperia Z4v obsolete before Verizon even gets it on shelves," Greengart said.

A Verizon spokesman declined to give a specific release date for the Xperia Z4v and didn't comment about carrying future Sony devices. A T-Mobile spokeswoman said there were no plans to carry the Z5 phones.
"

Looking great for Sony.

Well, it's because Japan wants a new phone every 6 months.

Sony announces the Xperia Z5 line, Verizon still hasn't released their Z4v and T-Mobile isn't going to carry the new devices at all.

"But the introduction of the Xperia Z5 highlights a problem with getting its smartphones into the US market fast enough. Sony is still waiting to get the Xperia Z4v to the market through Verizon, even though that phone will essentially be a generation old by the time it's made available.

"Its announcement makes the Xperia Z4v obsolete before Verizon even gets it on shelves," Greengart said.

A Verizon spokesman declined to give a specific release date for the Xperia Z4v and didn't comment about carrying future Sony devices. A T-Mobile spokeswoman said there were no plans to carry the Z5 phones.
"

Looking great for Sony.

giga

Yep, I am having to borrow my wife's iPhone 5 since I sent my Moto x 14 back and wait for the style, the battery life is terrible. Like, really really terrible. Idle time is ok but it runs down fast when being used, all phones will when they have to power a screen and iPhones are no different. Everyone I know in work by the way also have their iPhones permenently plugged into the wall.

For comparison, this iPhone needs to be charged at lunchtime and still goes to bed dead. My Moto x 14 didn't need to be charged during the day and would usually go to bed with about 15-20% remaining.
How old is the battery? I'm going to guess it's nearing the end of its life, which is normal after so many cycles.

Old phone batteries don't last as long. My LG g2 only lasted 4 hours when I got rid of it and everyone here talks about how great the battery life is.

Nicktendo86

It is older but it never ran great for my wife either, she always complained that the battery was rubbish.

Also noticed the radios are pretty bad as well, seems to struggle getting signal where other phones have no issue and very often will not latch onto a network after coming from an area with no signal at all, like the tube. Quite often I need to turn aeroplane mode on and off to get it to join the mobile network. It has not been a pleasant experience using an iPhone for the first time at all.

Just noticed Motorola have updated the UK Moto X style site by the way, added some more info for the different features. Nothing mind blowing but nice.

http://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-x-style

solarus

The z5 line looks like perfection seriously, only valid reason for complaining is the pricing. If the camera is great, the fingerprint sensor works well and it really is near stock now like people are saying then I don't see how it isnt perfect besides the 810 which as long as it doesnt heat up is fine. Ill wait for reviews but once prices drop im trading my s6 for a z5 compact or z5.

terrier

The z5 line looks like perfection seriously, only valid reason for complaining is the pricing. If the camera is great, the fingerprint sensor works well and it really is near stock now like people are saying then I don't see how it isnt perfect besides the 810 which as long as it doesnt heat up is fine. Ill wait for reviews but once prices drop im trading my s6 for a z5 compact or z5.

for me the 810 is the problem. And the 4k screen in the premium model is overkill , let's see how it affects battery life and smoothness. Bezels could be smaller too but not big deal.
But 810... even without heat problems (probably because it is throttled) it doesn't really perform as expected. I'll be waiting for next year unless Nexus devices surprise me, 820 should be the real deal, 14nm and custom cores, unless Qualcomm screws it up again. Z6 maybe.

Talon

That is what sony really did well with Xperia phones, and their stamina mode, when the phone is used, it drains as any other, but when idle is fantastic. Hopefully Google seems to have finally done something if those M previews are a signal of what is coming with Marshmallow and have implemented something similar to Stamina mode. Too bad only a fraction of the devices will get M.
The two biggest differences are:
-Idle time basically being a standstill for iOS
-Apple optimizing for usage on web browsing. Whenever Anandtech does battery tests, iPhones kick ass on those two tests (wifi + LTE).

68010.png

68009.png

It is older but it never ran great for my wife either, she always complained that the battery was rubbish.

Also noticed the radios are pretty bad as well, seems to struggle getting signal where other phones have no issue and very often will not latch onto a network after coming from an area with no signal at all, like the tube. Quite often I need to turn aeroplane mode on and off to get it to join the mobile network. It has not been a pleasant experience using an iPhone for the first time at all.

Just noticed Motorola have updated the UK Moto X style site by the way, added some more info for the different features. Nothing mind blowing but nice.

http://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-x-style
Bad coverage will always ruin battery life - especially for a battery that's probably through 300 cycles. Also, you're using a three-year-old phone. What did you expect?

Also, honestly, if you're having radio issues of any sort, I would recommend taking it to an Apple store. Even out of warranty, they've given me a new device more than once.

Nicktendo86

The two biggest differences are:
-Idle time basically being a standstill for iOS
-Apple optimizing for usage on web browsing. Whenever Anandtech does battery tests, iPhones kick ass on those two tests (wifi + LTE).

68010.png

68009.png

Bad coverage will always ruin battery life - especially for a battery that's probably through 300 cycles. Also, you're using a three-year-old phone. What did you expect?

Also, honestly, if you're having radio issues of any sort, I would recommend taking it to an Apple store. Even out of warranty, they've given me a new device more than once.
not worth it anyways, as soon as I get my Moto x style I can hand his back to my wife who will prob sell it. Give props to apple for their customer service though, my brother had no issues switching out his bend 6+ for a brand new one.

Well, it's because Japan wants a new phone every 6 months.

Then they should accommodate the Japanese market with special snowflake devices, rather than flood the international market with a new model every 6 months. It's clearly a model that has not been working for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom